PDA

View Full Version : Mark Sanford Joins ACLU Lawsuit Against the NSA

Lucille
07-02-2013, 04:31 PM
NSA Surveillance: Sanford Files Amicus Brief with House Colleagues
http://sanford.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/nsa-surveillance-sanford-files-amicus-brief-with-house-colleauges#.UdNMVelpK00.twitter

Jul 2, 2013
Press Release
(WASHINGTON, D.C.) – U.S. Representative Mark Sanford (R-SC) has joined fifteen of his colleagues in filing an amicus brief supporting the American Civil Liberties Union’s (ACLU) motion requesting that the courts established under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) release its opinions on surveillance requests. The filing comes after the revelation that the National Security Agency (NSA) conducted broad surveillance techniques on American telephone users.

“It is important to better understand how Section 215 of the PATRIOT Act is being implemented and where there is room for improvement,” Rep. Sanford said. “Requiring the FISA courts to make their opinions public could prove an important step toward better protecting America from terrorism without compromising the constitutional rights of its citizens.”

Specifically, the amicus brief requests that the FISA courts publish their opinions related to the “meaning, scope and constitutionality of Section 215 of the PATRIOT Act.” The amicus brief is available here.

The ACLU’s motion is available here.

Rep. Sanford, who serves on the House Committee on Homeland Security, is also a co-sponsor of the LIBERT-E Act, which in part requires the publication of significant FISA court opinions.

h/t https://twitter.com/southernavenger/status/352184597439713280

Warlord
07-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Go Mark!!

Has he signed on to audit the Fed yet? I was bugging him about that but assumed his twitter was taken over by a campaign person long ago. Before he used to reply to a lot of people on twitter but that was before he won the primary. Then he shut up lol .

tsai3904
07-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Has he signed on to audit the Fed yet?

Yea, it was the second bill he cosponsored.

Warlord
07-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Yea, it was the second bill he cosponsored.

Hahaha awesome... I asked him to do this and make it his first.. but 2nd :) Ah well... What was his first?

Generalissimo
07-02-2013, 07:26 PM
I wonder if Bentivolio with sign on to the lawsuit first.

What's Boehner's position on the NSA spying? That will tell us what Bentivolio will do lol

Brian4Liberty
07-02-2013, 07:50 PM
That's what we wanted from Mark!

Who else joined him on this?

Warlord
07-02-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm asking his chief of staff on twitter if he'll join here and keep us updated about the congressman. He's very nice and responsive so you never know

FSP-Rebel
07-03-2013, 10:40 AM
I wonder if Bentivolio with sign on to the lawsuit first.

What's Boehner's position on the NSA spying? That will tell us what Bentivolio will do lol

https://twitter.com/8Atlas2/status/352466563217104898

Carlybee
07-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Great news but why lawsuit? Why not congressional inquiry followed by indictments? Oh...silly me.

tsai3904
07-03-2013, 10:49 AM
What was his first?

HR 1094 - Safeguard American Food Exports Act of 2013

Amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to prohibit the sale or transport of equines (horses and other members of the equidae family) or their parts (including flesh, meat, and viscera), or the importing or exporting of equines or their parts into or out of the United States, by any person who knows or should have known that such equines are to be slaughtered for human consumption as food.

Warlord
07-03-2013, 11:32 AM

Amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to prohibit the sale or transport of equines (horses and other members of the equidae family) or their parts (including flesh, meat, and viscera), or the importing or exporting of equines or their parts into or out of the United States, by any person who knows or should have known that such equines are to be slaughtered for human consumption as food.

I hope that doesn't pass... there are lot of horses who need a new home (particularly racing horses) on the dinner tables of Europe. They pay good money for it too

angelatc
07-03-2013, 11:36 AM

Well, that's not really liberty friendly, is it?

Warlord
07-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Well, that's not really liberty friendly, is it?

No it's not. There's only one horse abattoir I believe in the US. Can't remember where it is. Perhaps 2. They export to Europe. There are lot of dead horses and horses who are at the end of their lives that get sold for food. In effect this legislation will shut down those abattoir businesses