PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Obama: Being First Lady is like living in a ‘really nice prison’

Constitutional Paulicy
07-02-2013, 10:12 AM
http://photos.washingtonexaminer.biz/cache/606x404-96a36ce21f75c702122f837d87539b13.jpg

Michelle Obama: Being First Lady is like living in a ‘really nice prison’
By CHARLIE SPIERING
JULY 2, 2013 AT 8:50 AM

First Lady Michelle Obama on Tuesday described living in the White House as like being in a “really nice prison.”

Obama’s comment came during her discussion with former First Lady Laura Bush at the African First Ladies Summit in Tanzania during an interview moderated by journalist Cokie Roberts.

more here.. http://washingtonexaminer.com/michelle-obama-being-first-lady-is-like-living-in-a-really-nice-prison/article/2532604

Lucille
07-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Poor Michelle. Living in the lap of luxury, and jetting all over the planet for dozens of vacations a year, all on the taxpayers' dime. Woe is she.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/MichelleAntoinette.jpg

shane77m
07-02-2013, 10:44 AM
She should be living in a 3rd world prison.

ladyjade3
07-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Poor little rich girl.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
07-02-2013, 11:11 AM
awwww poor lady... I say we give her parole.

torchbearer
07-02-2013, 11:11 AM
I think i'm calling in sick for the rest of the week. i'm so broken up inside for this poor lady.

Ender
07-02-2013, 11:17 AM
I believe her.

I'm no Obama fan but being a POTUS or First Lady with small children would be quite a burden.

As for the vacation stuff:

MYTH 2. Obama has taken more vacation time than any president in history
This isn't even remotely accurate either, but first, some context from Nancy Reagan: "Presidents don't get vacations — they just get a change of scenery. The job goes with you." The responsibilities, the pressure, the officer with the "nuclear football" — it's all with a commander-in-chief at all times. No exceptions.

But how much time away from the White House has President Obama spent, and how does this compare with predecessors?

POTUS Tracker, compiled by The Washington Post, shows that from January 2009 to October 31, 2012, Obama spent all or part of 72 vacation days in a variety of places, mostly Hawaii in the winter and Martha's Vineyard in the summer. That's about 10 weeks away in three-and-a-half years, hardly extravagant. Through May 18, according to data from CBS's Knoller, he also visited Camp David 22 times, spending all of part of 54 days there.

What about his predecessors?

· In 1798, President John Adams left the capital for seven months to care for his ailing wife Abigail; his enemies said he practically relinquished his office.

· Thomas Jefferson and James Madison routinely went away for three- and four-month stretches.

· Abraham Lincoln, during the Civil War, was blasted for spending about 25 percent of his time away from the White House.

· Dwight Eisenhower took long summer breaks in Denver and spent almost every single weekend at Camp David.

· John F. Kennedy rarely spent a weekend in the White House, staying at family homes in Palm Beach, Hyannis Port, and the Virginia countryside.

· Lyndon Johnson spent 484 days in five and a half years at his Texas ranch.

· Ronald Reagan was away for 436 days, usually at Rancho del Cielo (his mountaintop retreat in California) or Camp David.

· Bill Clinton, who didn't own a vacation home, loved to party with his elite friends in Martha's Vineyard and the Hamptons.

· George W. Bush spent 32 months at his ranch (490 days) or Camp David (487 days) — an average of four months away every year.

http://theweek.com/bullpen/column/235844/deconstructing-the-5-most-ridiculous-myths-about-barack-obama

torchbearer
07-02-2013, 11:18 AM
I believe her.

I'm no Obama fan but being a POTUS or First Lady with small children would be quite a burden.

i know, i'm bleeding out my eyes in pain for her plight in life.
just weeping rivers.

Sola_Fide
07-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Who cares what these tyrants complain of?

FrankRep
07-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Free Michelle Obama!

LibertyEagle
07-02-2013, 12:06 PM
I believe her.

Spending time on your own property is quite a bit different than jet setting your family all over the world, along with their entourage.

VBRonPaulFan
07-02-2013, 12:23 PM
What's the big deal. You could use the exact same phrase to describe the USA.

Ender
07-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Spending time on your own property is quite a bit different than jet setting your family all over the world, along with their entourage.

During Bush’s two terms, the cost of operating Air Force One ranged from $56,800 to $68,000 an hour. Bush used Air Force One 77 times to go to his ranch in Crawford, TX. Using the low end cost of $56,800, Its calculated that each trip to Crawford cost taxpayers $259,687 each time, and $20 million total for Bush’s ranch flights.

If cost of the flight was the only expense involved to taxpayers Bush’s vacations would still seem rather economical, but there is more, much more. Unlike the Obama’s $4 million Christmas vacation price tag, which includes the cost of everything from transportation to accommodations for the First Family, the White House staff, and the White House press corps, Bush’s numbers only include the cost of flying the president to Crawford. The cost of transporting and accommodating staff, media, friends and family is not included in Bush’s vacation numbers.

Again- I am not an Obama fan but let's look at the facts instead of the hysteria.

erowe1
07-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Poor Michelle. Living in the lap of luxury, and jetting all over the planet for dozens of vacations a year, all on the taxpayers' dime. Woe is she.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/MichelleAntoinette.jpg

The muscles are a nice touch.

Philhelm
07-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Coincidentally, I feel the same way living under her husband's regime.

JK/SEA
07-02-2013, 12:52 PM
amazing, amazing...

jtstellar
07-02-2013, 12:58 PM
top of the rated comment.. god i swear if i hear ivy league mentioned one more time.. wake me up when one of the gadgets i use daily is remotely thanks to some ivy league professors somewhere until then stfu

HOLLYWOOD
07-02-2013, 01:00 PM
"Let Them Eat Soylent Green"

CPUd
07-02-2013, 01:01 PM
During Bush’s two terms, the cost of operating Air Force One ranged from $56,800 to $68,000 an hour. Bush used Air Force One 77 times to go to his ranch in Crawford, TX. Using the low end cost of $56,800, Its calculated that each trip to Crawford cost taxpayers $259,687 each time, and $20 million total for Bush’s ranch flights.

If cost of the flight was the only expense involved to taxpayers Bush’s vacations would still seem rather economical, but there is more, much more. Unlike the Obama’s $4 million Christmas vacation price tag, which includes the cost of everything from transportation to accommodations for the First Family, the White House staff, and the White House press corps, Bush’s numbers only include the cost of flying the president to Crawford. The cost of transporting and accommodating staff, media, friends and family is not included in Bush’s vacation numbers.

Again- I am not an Obama fan but let's look at the facts instead of the hysteria.

I've always seen Presidential vacations/travel hysteria as going after the low-hanging fruit, though it seems to play well for the opponents.

Ender
07-02-2013, 01:07 PM
I've always seen Presidential vacations/travel hysteria as going after the low-hanging fruit, though it seems to play well for the opponents.

Agreed.

There are certainly far more important aspects to consider about all the recent presidents that doesn't include vacation time.

Philhelm
07-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Agreed.

There are certainly far more important aspects to consider about all the recent presidents that doesn't include vacation time.

Theft is theft. Shine the light of good and truth against the tyrants on all fronts, regardless of the depth of the individual act.

Fredom101
07-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Come on guys, have some empathy for her. We can be against what she stands for but treat her as a human being. Same goes for her husband and GW Bush and the neocons and the democrats...they're all just people thinking they are doing the right thing. Stand for what is right but have empathy for your so-called enemies. It's basic non-violent communication and it works better than any "us vs. them" mentality.

libertarianMoney
07-02-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm surprised we're not hearing more about prisoners getting offended.

You know, running a racket can be tough but is it really like being locked up with murderers and rapists, getting only minimal nutritional requirements, getting locked in a cage, being in one of the most dangerous environments in the world despite the people with guns that are supposed to protect you? Perhaps I'm not sympathetic enough to someone that sleeps in the same bed as the president.

Just in case, I agree with the previous commenter:

FREE MICHELLE OBAMA (and her husband)!

Lucille
07-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Agreed.

FFS, I wasn't talking about O Duce. I was talking about his fugly wife--you know the one who's the subject of this thread, and whining about her life in her "really nice prison." Some prison.

Philhelm
07-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Come on guys, have some empathy for her. We can be against what she stands for but treat her as a human being. Same goes for her husband and GW Bush and the neocons and the democrats...they're all just people thinking they are doing the right thing. Stand for what is right but have empathy for your so-called enemies. It's basic non-violent communication and it works better than any "us vs. them" mentality.

I'm here to kick ass and show empathy. And I'm all out of empathy.

cajuncocoa
07-02-2013, 02:12 PM
http://s21.postimg.org/8v7yt4gsn/Michelle_Obama_at_work_in_001.jpg

supermario21
07-02-2013, 02:18 PM
I'd keep Guantanamo open for just her.

cajuncocoa
07-02-2013, 02:20 PM
http://s21.postimg.org/4nmtv8b2f/Michelle_Obama_breaks_ground_on_White_House_Kitc.j pg

puppetmaster
07-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Phuck her.....that's all.

Not literally though, unless your into that.

cajuncocoa
07-02-2013, 02:26 PM
http://s14.postimg.org/myxorlosh/michelle_o_pie.jpg

Lucille
07-02-2013, 02:27 PM
I mean seriously, she ought to try being a mundane under the O Duce regime. We haven't had a vaca since 2007.

We're being taxed to hilt by her fucking asshole husband, and Bernanke's printing money for him like it's going out of style, and now he's going to cause even more price inflation with his EPA climate change schemes, and this bitch has the fucking gall to complain? And Ender and CPUd rush to her fucking defense. UNbelievable.

BenIsForRon
07-02-2013, 02:28 PM

F'in LOL.

Ender
07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
I mean seriously, she ought to try being a a mundane under the O Duce regime. We haven't had a vaca since 2007.

We're are being taxed to hilt by her fucking asshole husband, and Bernanke's printing money for him like it's going out of style, and now he's going to cause even more price inflation with his EPA climate change schemes, and this bitch has the fucking gall to complain? And Ender and CPUd rush to her fucking defense. UNbelievable.

I'm not rushing to her defense- I'm agreeing with her- her life is a prison. And all the crap you are so upset about started long before Obama. Let's start with Lincoln and move on down the line.

And - BTW- I have never had a vacation.

Also- when you negative rep me, and say SCREW YOU! and then say your NOT being hysterical, it does seem rather contradictory. Especially since I have never made any personal derogatory comment about you. Ever.

Lucille
07-02-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm not rushing to her defense- I'm agreeing with her- her life is a prison. And all the crap you are so upset about started long before Obama. Let's start with Lincoln and move on down the line.

And - BTW- I have never had a vacation.

You obviously still don't know what the fuck I'm upset about. Not "hysterical" either. And don't fucking lecture me.

Ender
07-02-2013, 02:43 PM
You obviously still don't know what the fuck I'm upset about. Not "hysterical" either. And don't fucking lecture me.

REPEAT:

Also- when you negative rep me, and say SCREW YOU! and then say your NOT being hysterical, it does seem rather contradictory. Especially since I have never made any personal derogatory comment about you. Ever.

AND YOU ARE THE ONE LECTURING.

Lucille
07-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Reread the thread, and maybe you'll recognize how you insulted me. You'll survive your well-earned -rep, so don't get so hysterical.

Ender
07-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Reread the thread, and maybe you'll recognize how you insulted me. You'll survive your well-earned -rep, so don't get so hysterical.

I did reread the thread and found nothing that I said directly to you. Or anything that could be construed as personally insulting. And- YOU are the one that mentioned hysteria on a personal level.

I agree that Michelle life is a prison and this may be the first honest thing we have heard from the White House; I believe that O's life probably is as well, and I feel sorry for their kids. My POV is that O is as much of a puppet as most of the presidents before him starting from 1913 on. I do not support him, nor any president before him up to Harding- with the possible exception of JFK, whom I believe woke up.

Because I don't hate Michelle Obama does not mean that I support this presidency in any way shape or form.

I also believe the venom we show toward others says more about ourselves than it does our object of hatred.

cajuncocoa
07-02-2013, 03:10 PM

Yep, Michelle is not the first FLOTUS to spend hundreds of days on vacation while residing in the White House. But she is the one who is the subject of the current article, and she is the one who made the "prison" comment.

While I understand what she probably meant by that remark....the point others are making in this thread is that, compared to people in this country who are suffering economically because of the policies of her husband -- and those who came before him, she doesn't really have it all that bad.

Ender
07-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Yep, Michelle is not the first FLOTUS to spend hundreds of days on vacation while residing in the White House. But she is the one who is the subject of the current article, and she is the one who made the "prison" comment.

While I understand what she probably meant by that remark....the point others are making in this thread is that, compared to people in this country who are suffering economically because of the policies of her husband -- and those who came before him, she doesn't really have it all that bad.

Maybe- but personally, I'd rather live my life any day than hers.

Lucille
07-02-2013, 03:18 PM
You're lecturing me again, Ender.

Feel free to defend and admire poor fugly (inside and out) Michelle all you want. What makes me sick about this is her Ivory Tower syndrome, b/c she has no fucking idea what it's like for the rest of us, nor does she care. It's all about the GREAT HER. Her feelings, her life, and her sick statist agenda which is making it harder and harder for all of us. There are people all over the country living paycheck to paycheck, some barely surviving, which her and her husband played a big part in. If she had an ounce of class or compassion, she'd lie and thank the taxpayers for providing her with such a privileged life which she chose btw, and maybe promise not to be so fucking extravagant with our hard earned money every chance she gets.

What she said was essentially another big "fuck you" to regular Americans, not to mention to all the prisoners in this country, who would no doubt disagree.

http://www.websophist.com/Michelle_MarieAntoinetteO.jpg

cajuncocoa
07-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Maybe- but personally, I'd rather live my life any day than hers.

I agree, but I didn't seek out that life. She did.

dannno
07-02-2013, 03:23 PM
· In 1798, President John Adams left the capital for seven months to care for his ailing wife Abigail; his enemies said he practically relinquished his office.

· Thomas Jefferson and James Madison routinely went away for three- and four-month stretches.

See, these are the kind of leaders we need today.

No, seriously, why do we want the people in DC to spend the whole year there?

anaconda
07-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Being a U.S. citizen is like living in a prison.

phill4paul
07-02-2013, 03:30 PM
She needs some reference........

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/files/2013/05/920530.jpg

Philhelm
07-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Being a U.S. citizen is like living in a prison.

Why don't you leave then? /s

Occam's Banana
07-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Millions of Americans are forcibly locked inside rape-cages for mere possession of a plant (among many, many other things for which no such treatment is deserved). And I'm supposed to "feel sorry" for Michelle Obama (or her children) for the personal inconveniences they must suffer as a consequence of being uber-elites?

Srsly?!?! WTF???

phill4paul
07-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Millions of Americans a forcibly locked inside rape-cages for mere possession of a plant (among many, many other things for which no such treatment is deserved).

And I'm supposed to "feel sorry" for Michelle Obama (or her children) for the personal inconveniences they must suffer as a consequence of being uber-elites?

Srsly?!?! WTF???

Just a boid in a gilded cage, I tell ya. Has me cryin' over heah.

BAllen
07-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Must maintain the victim mentality of the protected minority. Even if they are in positions of authority.
Poor thing. A prisoner in a lap of luxury, with servants galore.
You know, she can walk away at any time.

Nobexliberty
07-02-2013, 04:06 PM
For the time being I am more free then you guys, or less enslaved in a more correct choice of words.

QuickZ06
07-02-2013, 04:15 PM
See, these are the kind of leaders we need today.

No, seriously, why do we want the people in DC to spend the whole year there?

I agree the less they are there the less they are screwing us over. I say go home to all of them and stay there as LONG as you like.

juleswin
07-02-2013, 04:41 PM
I believe her.

What he said. I have no doubt that it is that way, their movement is very restricted, their communication listened to and recorded, they live in a massive white house with lots of security at the exit. Yes, it is like a really really nice prison albeit a prison you can walk away from.

Dont beat her up because she is married to Obama, I am sure if Rand Paul's wife said the same thing when he gets to the WH, many of the people objecting will be in agreement.

GregSarnowski
07-02-2013, 04:53 PM
What he said. I have no doubt that it is that way, their movement is very restricted, their communication listened to and recorded, they live in a massive white house with lots of security at the exit. Yes, it is like a really really nice prison albeit a prison you can walk away from.

Dont beat her up because she is married to Obama, I am sure if Rand Paul's wife said the same thing when he gets to the WH, many of the people objecting will be in agreement.

Sorry but comparing her situation to a prisoner is extremely conceited and frankly delusional. I would hope that Rand's wife wouldn't think that and if she did she would be smart enough to not say it.

I feel bad for the hundreds of thousands of poor people in actual prison for growing or selling benign plant matter, not this lady who is extremely privileged despite accomplishing absolutely nothing of value in her life.

anaconda
07-02-2013, 05:09 PM
She needs some reference........

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/files/2013/05/920530.jpg

Stylish! Who's the designer?

anaconda
07-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Why don't you leave then? /s

Because..I'm in prison?

Or, maybe I'll just defer to Tom Woods on your inquiry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTqEePlZiqk

Lucille
07-02-2013, 05:25 PM

Ender
07-02-2013, 08:54 PM
So, BAllen, with another negative rep. You say I'M on the wrong forum?

I'm on a Ron Paul forum- just what do you think Dr Paul would say about this issue? Hmmmm?

CPUd
07-02-2013, 09:50 PM
First Lady Michelle Obama on Tuesday described living in the White House as like being in a “really nice prison.”

Obama’s comment came during her discussion with former First Lady Laura Bush at the African First Ladies Summit in Tanzania during an interview moderated by journalist Cokie Roberts.

Roberts noted that Martha Washington, the first First Lady, also described living in the role as akin to being a state prisoner.

Obama said she loved her job and found it liberating in some respects, but confining in others.

“There are some prison elements to it,” she joked. “But it’s a really nice prison.”

Former first lady Laura Bush reminded the crowd that First Ladies had a chef.

“You can’t complain,” Michelle Obama admitted. “But there is definitely elements that are confining.”

If you read the whole blurb, you will see that there's no actual whining. It's cool to make caricatures about it, political cartoons are part of our history. But if you start taking them literally, you may be wound up a bit too tight.

V3n
07-03-2013, 06:40 AM
It's fun to pile on hating on the Lady, fun to express anger and post funny pictures. It's cathartic, and I'm glad we live in a free (enough) country where we can still do this!

It's not fun to turn that anger towards a fellow member who is just trying to put things in perspective, or at very least offer a differing view.

I hate her as much as the next person, but I think she meant it in a way of that she's watched all the time, can't go anywhere without the press, or permission, or secret service.. we come to it like a millionaire hollywood actor complaining that they got too famous.. but I'm sure they do feel a loss of freedom with it. I can see their point, they won't get any sympathy from me, but I can step back and at least see what they're saying..

..but this thread is about mocking her.. so please continue...

liveandletlive
07-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Sorry but comparing her situation to a prisoner is extremely conceited and frankly delusional. I would hope that Rand's wife wouldn't think that and if she did she would be smart enough to not say it.

I feel bad for the hundreds of thousands of poor people in actual prison for growing or selling benign plant matter, not this lady who is extremely privileged despite accomplishing absolutely nothing of value in her life.

no fan of "Chell" but I don't see anything wrong with what she said. It's called a simile. English 101.

VBRonPaulFan
07-03-2013, 07:50 AM
lol, this dude destroyed her with a simple twitter comment

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1011856_10201004969662516_1211183997_n.jpg

V3n
07-03-2013, 08:21 AM
lol, this dude destroyed her with a simple twitter comment

now THAT's funny!! :D

brushfire
07-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Food Deserts...

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Motleycrew.jpg

/low_class_joke -art-art-art :)

heavenlyboy34
07-03-2013, 08:34 AM
I agree the less they are there the less they are screwing us over. I say go home to all of them and stay there as LONG as you like.
No man or his property are safe when congress is in session. I always look forward to the next congressional break. ;)