View Full Version : Cop Shoots Dog [VIDEO]

noneedtoaggress
07-01-2013, 05:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDBZr4ie2AE

More video preceding the incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwxaTpJTyI

noneedtoaggress
07-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Apparently Reason has an article on it (http://reason.com/blog/2013/07/01/get-cuffed-for-filming-police-your-dog-g):

Get Cuffed for Filming Police; Your Dog Gets Upset; Cop Kills Your Dog
Brian Doherty|Jul. 1, 2013 7:10 pm

Here's the way it is, America: annoy a cop, even doing something perfectly legal, and he might cuff you. And if your dog sees it and gets upset, he might kill your dog.

Latest example in this video uploaded to YouTube yesterday from Hawthorne, California of a man filming police on the street, when they then approach and cuff him.

Warning: if watching a dog die would upset you, don't watch. It looks to me like the cop was approaching the dog before the fatal moment more than the dog was attacking the cop:

And CBS Local News:

HAWTHORNE (CBSLA.com) — A video posted online apparently shows Hawthorne police officers fatally shooting the dog of a man filming a nearby barricade situation, an attorney said Monday.

The undated video posted June 30 on YouTube shows a man driving up to an apparent police barricade at 137th and Jefferson and then stopping to use his camera to capture images of the scene.

Attorney Michael Gulden said his client Leon Rosby was watching and taking video of the Hawthorne SWAT team when police claimed Rosby was obstructing officers during the barricade.

Rosby is seen in video footage walking with the dog – which appeared to be a Rottweiler – near several patrol cars to capture the scene on his phone.

After an exchange with nearby officers, Rosby is heard saying the words, “civil rights violation” before returning the dog to his vehicle.

As officers begin to proceed toward Rosby, he also begins walking in the direction of the officers and is then taken into custody without any further exchange.

While Rosby is handcuffed, the dog is seen escaping from the vehicle through an open rear window and then approaching the officers while barking.

When one officer motions toward the animal, the dog is seen jumping up and toward the officer, at which point four shots were fired, according to Gulden.

A second video apparently shows Rosby stopped at the intersection and then driving slowly past the scene prior to parking his vehicle.

Gulden said he plans to file a lawsuit against the Hawthorne Police Department.

There was no immediate response on the incident from police.

ladyjade3
07-01-2013, 05:34 PM
That's awful. The dog was being a dog. :(

Bruehound
07-01-2013, 05:48 PM

and the cops were being cops.

VoluntaryAmerican
07-01-2013, 05:52 PM
This was justified. The officer even tried to grab the dog and it lunged at him in aggressive manor...

edit:

Based on a news article later in the thread (http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_23578147/hawthorne-police-kill-dog-during-arrest-owner) it appears the police were abusing their power in arresting this man and killing his dog was a totally unnecessary result of that abuse of power.

green73
07-01-2013, 05:57 PM

OT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNEcQS4tXgQ

green73
07-01-2013, 05:57 PM
I don't think I can watch the videos.

noneedtoaggress
07-01-2013, 05:59 PM
This was justified. The officer even tried to grab the dog and it lunged at him in aggressive manor...

Yeah the officer approached it with his arm out trying to make contact with it, what did he think was going to happen.

This was completely unnecessary and could easily have been averted. I don't know what they're arresting the guy for, but from what I gathered so far, it appears to be filming them and making commentary and they're trying to get him on some sort of "obstruction" charge. Look at how co-operative the guy is and how they handle him when putting him in cuffs.

This could have easily been avoided in a multitude of ways if the police were in any way competent. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't trying to teach this mundane a lesson about messing with them.

noneedtoaggress
07-01-2013, 06:04 PM
From Photography is Not A Crime (http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2013/07/01/california-police-arrest-man-for-video-recording-then-kill-his-dog/#comments):

In one of the most shocking videos I’ve seen since launching this blog six years, ago, Hawthorne police shot and killed a dog while arresting the dog’s owner for video recording them from a half-block away on a public sidewalk.

Several cops were standing in front of a house halfway down the block, apparently to make an arrest over the weekend, while a man walking his dog was video recording them from the corner.

VoluntaryAmerican
07-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Yeah the officer approached it with his arm out trying to make contact with it, what did he think was going to happen.

This was completely unnecessary and could easily have been averted. I don't know what they're arresting the guy for, but from what I gathered so far, it appears to be filming them and making commentary and they're trying to get him on some sort of "obstruction" charge. Look at how co-operative the guy is and how they handle him when putting him in cuffs.

This could have easily been avoided in a multitude of ways if the police were in any way competent. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't trying to teach this mundane a lesson about messing with them.

Well, if that's the case it could of been avoided by not arresting this man for such a bogus reason.

That aside, it doesn't change the fact that the dog appeared to try and bite the cop. He was reaching for its collar to grab it. This one is justified in my opinion.

noneedtoaggress
07-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Well, if that's the case it could of been avoided by not arresting this man for such a bogus reason.

That aside, it doesn't change the fact that the dog appeared to try and bite the cop. He was reaching for its collar to grab it looking for an opportunity to use his firearm. This one is justified in my opinion.

FIFY

Because an aggressive stranger grabbing at the dog's collar is somehow going to make it immediately submissive to this new master. It was just sniffing the ground before it realized the cop was trying to get the jump on it.

Watch the part where the dog gets out, it wasn't even being very aggressive. Mostly it was checking out the scene nearby and the it only got problematic when the cop who shot it would try to touch it.

VoluntaryAmerican
07-01-2013, 06:25 PM
FIFY

Because an aggressive stranger grabbing at the dog's collar is somehow going to make it immediately submissive to this new master.

Because every time a cop kills a dog its the cops fault?

aGameOfThrones
07-01-2013, 06:29 PM

That aside, it doesn't change the fact that the dog appeared to try and bite the cop. He was reaching for its collar to grab it. This one is justified in my opinion.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0a3fg-fUWdw/T3On8vGgmVI/AAAAAAAAA4A/PJg-1gRMH5Y/s1600/bunk-the-wire.gif

silverhandorder
07-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Why not let the owner restrain the animal? Fucking pathetic for arresting the guy in the first place.

VoluntaryAmerican
07-01-2013, 06:38 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0a3fg-fUWdw/T3On8vGgmVI/AAAAAAAAA4A/PJg-1gRMH5Y/s1600/bunk-the-wire.gif

Nice gif.

But seriously, can you tell me how I am wrong in thinking this is justified? Is a cop killing a dog ever justified -- is it ever self defense?

Here's a map I made of dogs killed by cops and I specifically avoided cases like this that are justified:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=207846740317443814606.0004cfafec39c0992f16f

noneedtoaggress
07-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Because every time a cop kills a dog its the cops fault?

How does this follow what I said, or where did I state that was what I thought?

I've been talking about this incident the entire time and there's a video where you can see what I'm referring to, and it's clear that this could have been avoided at multiple points if the cops weren't FAR more aggressive than the dog had been the entire time.

noneedtoaggress
07-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Nice gif.

But seriously, can you tell me how I am wrong in thinking this is justified?

Because it was easily avoidable. Similar to the way it's possible to prevent "being forced to" kill an animal that's minding it's own business until you decided to kick it in the ribs.

Is a cop killing a dog ever justified -- is it ever self defense?

Yes.

chudrockz
07-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Not gonna watch the video. Said it before but I'll say it again:

If ANYONE shoots my dog in self defense (imo) I'll grieve and move on. Anyone kills my dog for ANYTHING else, I resign from the Libertarian Party, take a piss on the nonagression principle, bid farewell to everyone here, and make headlines.

:(

VoluntaryAmerican
07-01-2013, 07:02 PM
How does this follow what I said, or where did I state that was what I thought?

I've been talking about this incident the entire time and there's a video where you can see what I'm referring to, and it's clear that this could have been avoided at multiple points if the cops weren't FAR more aggressive than the dog had been the entire time.

I watched the video a few times now. The cop's body language does not give me the impression he was trigger happy. Like I said before, he even risked being mauled by reaching his hand out and the dog became aggressive and lunged at his hand.

Because it was easily avoidable. Similar to the way it's avoidable to prevent "being forced to" kill an animal that's minding it's own business until you decided to kick it in the ribs to provoke it.

It was avoidable if the cops never arrested the man in the first place. Agreed.

SeanTX
07-01-2013, 07:02 PM
This kind of reminds me of the case in Omaha last year where the guy was out walking his dog and the cops beat him up and killed his dog (which wasn't even barking or anything, it was just caught in the middle when the badged street thugs attacked his master).

As with that case, nothing will happen here either, outside of the usual high fives at the station for the occifer and some internet outrage that will be forgotten in 2-3 days. The only thing that would even get their attention is some real outrage in the streets, but that doesn't even happen when a human is wrongfully killed by the police.

On their facebook page they have lots of pics of therapy dogs and such , showing what dog lovers they are : https://www.facebook.com/hawthornepolice . They aren't getting much love in the comments there, I'm surprised they haven't taken the page down yet.

noneedtoaggress
07-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Like I said before, he even risked being mauled by reaching his hand out and the dog became aggressive and lunged at his hand.

Exactly. What do you think the chances were of this turning out any differently after he decided to approach the dog like that?

It's not like he whistled the dog over to where he was standing and it charged. It's not like they let the owner talk to the dog and eased tension on the scene and it just charged.

The cop approached the dog after it just saw them manhandling it's master whose yelling at them not to shoot it with his gun pointed at it and his arm out. What else did he think was gonna happen in that situation? He was just gonna pet it? Grab it by the collar and arrest it?

kcchiefs6465
07-01-2013, 07:42 PM
This one is justified in my opinion.
To affirm that you would have to also affirm that the charge/detention was legitimate. What right had the officer to arrest this man? Obstructing, huh? How is it obstructing when you are a block away filming and commenting on a massive militarized drug raid?

They are trained to shoot first. There are alternatives. The dog did what a dog is going to do. The police did what they routinely do. That being, arrest people on trumped up charges and shoot first, without hesitation.

But as I've said, to state this shooting was justifiable you must also affirm that the arrest was justifiable. A dog protecting his owner from an unlawful arrest is the same as a person protecting themselves from an unlawful arrest. To be clear, they both have consequences the same.

WM_in_MO
07-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Nice gif.

But seriously, can you tell me how I am wrong in thinking this is justified? Is a cop killing a dog ever justified -- is it ever self defense?

Here's a map I made of dogs killed by cops and I specifically avoided cases like this that are justified:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=207846740317443814606.0004cfafec39c0992f16f

Youre wrong because the arrest was illegal. The dog is in the right.

noneedtoaggress
07-01-2013, 07:44 PM
But as I've said, to state this shooting was justifiable you must also affirm that the arrest was justifiable. A dog protecting his owner from an unlawful arrest is the same as a person protecting themselves from an unlawful arrest. To be clear, they both have consequences the same.

+rep

kcchiefs6465
07-01-2013, 07:46 PM
This. I don't give a damn if the dog bit the officers until the handcuffs were taken off and the owner had a chance to subdue it.

Unlawful arrest is unlawful. Seeing that the dog got shot anyways, I wish he would have bit one of those cocksuckers. Maybe make them think twice about the next time they trump up charges on a person.

JK/SEA
07-01-2013, 07:47 PM
anyone that thinks this is justified, needs to be re-incarnated as a dog...then get shot by a cop. Then report back how it felt.

fucking hell.

I lost my best friend, and female mix, Katie, to cancer a few months ago. I'm still crying.

fuckin bastard cops. Killing dogs like its open season....fuck, and fuck.

VoluntaryAmerican
07-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Exactly. What do you think the chances were of this turning out any differently after he decided to approach the dog like that?

It's not like he whistled the dog over to where he was standing and it charged. It's not like they let the owner talk to the dog and eased tension on the scene and it just charged.

The cop approached the dog after it just saw them manhandling it's master whose yelling at them not to shoot it with his gun pointed at it and his arm out. What else did he think was gonna happen in that situation? He was just gonna pet it? Grab it by the collar and arrest it?

You act like the cop had forever to respond... this happened in a few seconds... The officer only had a short period to make a decision. He decided to try and grab the dog's collar instead of shooting it (trigger happy cops shoot the dogs as soon as they charge) the dog became aggressive and tried to bite him. At that point he was justified in killing the dog.

To affirm that you would have to also affirm that the charge/detention was legitimate. What right had the officer to arrest this man? Obstructing, huh? How is it obstructing when you are a block away filming and commenting on a massive militarized drug raid?

They are trained to shoot first. There are alternatives. The dog did what a dog is going to do. The police did what they routinely do. That being, arrest people on trumped up charges and shoot first, without hesitation.

You're assuming the cop who shot the dog is the same cop who decided to arrest this man on these charges (assuming the charges are bullshit). For all we know he feels like shit for being put in that messed up situation by his fellow cop and killing the dog.

VoluntaryAmerican
07-01-2013, 08:07 PM

anyone that thinks this is justified, needs to be re-incarnated as a dog...then get shot by a cop. Then report back how it felt.

fucking hell.

I lost my best friend, and female mix, Katie, to cancer a few months ago. I'm still crying.

fuckin bastard cops. Killing dogs like its open season....fuck, and fuck.

Clearly I am a cop-loving dog-hater. Thanks for the neg rep WM and vague death wish JK/SEA.

kcchiefs6465
07-01-2013, 08:16 PM
You act as if the cop who shot the dog is the same cop who decided to arrest this man on these charges (assuming the charges are bullshit). For all we know he feels like shit for being put in that messed up situation by his fellow cop and killing the dog.
As he should. Truth be told he would have assisted in the illegal detention/arrest of the man in any case. Failure to do so would cost him his 30 pieces and have him labelled mentally incompetent. (see Regina Tasca for an example)

I wonder though, what outcome or policy changes do you expect from this? The officers who showed a willingness to trump up charges on a man fired? Reprimanded with pay? If anything the latter. An apology will not so much as be issued aside to say the incident was "unfortunate" while admitting no blame. Mark my words.

And I just noticed the "assuming these charges are bullshit" parenthesized. How aren't they? You are a block away from a heavily armed and armored militarized pig Battalion and you are obstructing justice or "official business"? How about them obstructing the roadway? Is that not an ticketable offense? The charge is nothing short of bullshit. It is a snare-all used only when you are an annoyance to the police or they wish to exercise petty power over you. Obstructing the police, that's good. They obstruct thousands of people (productive people, I'd add) daily. They get medals. You go to jail until the bullshit charges dropped or plead out at disorderly conduct paying for the proceedings, the attorney, the fees and fines.

WM_in_MO
07-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Clearly I am a cop-loving dog-hater. Thanks for the neg rep WM and vague death wish JK/SEA.

Clearly you can't see another way to handle this incident. The dog ran TO his owner then stopped. Clearly the poor thing was in distress, the situation could have been handled much better.

The situation shouldn't have even happened in the first place, there was no reason to arrest the man. None whatsoever.

"Policy was followed, safety was ensured"

VoluntaryAmerican
07-01-2013, 08:31 PM
As he should. Truth be told he would have assisted in the illegal detention/arrest of the man in any case. Failure to do so would cost him his 30 pieces and have him labelled mentally incompetent. (see Regina Tasca for an example)

I wonder though, what outcome or policy changes do you expect from this? The officers who showed a willingness to trump up charges on a man fired? Reprimanded with pay? If anything the latter. An apology will not so much as be issued aside to say the incident was "unfortunate" while admitting no blame. Mark my words.
I don't expect any policy changes.

And I just noticed the "assuming these charges are bullshit" parenthesized. How aren't they? You are a block away from a heavily armed and armored militarized pig Battalion and you are obstructing justice or "official business"? How about them obstructing the roadway? Is that not an ticketable offense? The charge is nothing short of bullshit. It is a snare-all used only when you are an annoyance to the police or they wish to exercise petty power over you. Obstructing the police, that' ds good. They obstruct thousands of people (productive people, I'd add) daily. They get medals. You go to jail until the bullshit charges dropped or plead out at disorderly conduct paying for the proceedings, the attorney, the fees and fines.
Because unlike you I don't assume to know all the facts about what happened based on one YouTube video and a news report, that quite frankly, doesn't illuminate any facts about why the man was arrested.

SeanTX
07-01-2013, 08:46 PM
http://images.4chan.org/b/src/1372720809537.png

I couldn't watch the video, but here's a not too graphic pic of the officer wearing the cool shades firing away and the dog going down (saw this link on the Hawthorne PD Facebook page, I don't do 4chan myself) :

For those of us who are concerned about such things, this picture could be as iconic as the "lady in red" pic from Istanbul -- the new face of "Officer Friendly" for some who have been asleep ...

And , before it all disappears, some of you might want to see the angry postings the PD's Facebook page, the are 100% anti-police ... now if people could just turn internet rage into something real, maybe things could change for the better ...

https://www.facebook.com/hawthornepolice

kcchiefs6465
07-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Because unlike you I don't assume to know all the facts about what happened based on one YouTube video and a news report, that quite frankly, doesn't illuminate any facts about why the man was arrested.
Yawn. Rewatch the video, find me evidence of a crime, post the time it occurred and I'll give it a look. Aside from that it is kind of amusing to say I'm jumping to conclusions when the camera doesn't lie. This isn't second hand hearsay, what is on video is what happened. Point. Blank. Period.

As an aside I've seen it enough times personally, I've seen it countless times on video, I've read about dozens of times, I know how pigs are, their tactics and what they do so even if there were no video, it would be no stretch of the mind to understand the man probably wasn't obstructing their unnecessary, costly, militarized show of force. Not to mention, as evidenced BY THE VIDEO, they'll shut down an entire road with multiple cop cars and an APC and have the audacity to trump a charge of obstructing justice of all things. (or whatever the law be named in California.. Obstructing Official Business, Obstructing a Public Official, etc.)

I've even seen a case of them charging a man with obstructing traffic for waving around a sign warning people of an upcoming obstruction in traffic. That of course being an unconstitutional DUI checkpoint. Or was it a seat belt checkpoint? In either case, this charge is unlawfully trumped up on hundreds of people daily with no repercussions when the charge is reduced (probably 90%+) or plead out to avoid the certain fact that a pig's word is worth more than yours and the fact that cops and judges (the entire system really) have a special relationship with each other. Plead out and get a $250 fine + court costs and fees, or take it all the way and risk up to six months in jail and not exceeding $1,000. (+court costs and fees) Bullshit snare-all charge is bullshit. It's for the purposes of revenue generation, intimidation and compliance. It is also used as a threat if you question the legality of their actions or affirm your rights.

noneedtoaggress
07-01-2013, 08:49 PM
I couldn't watch the video, but here's a not too graphic pic of the officer firing away and the dog going down (saw this link elsewhere, don't do 4chan myself) : http://images.4chan.org/b/src/1372720809537.png

The rest of the video isn't much more graphic than that still shot. It's actually a very short part at the end and it's from a distance.

JK/SEA
07-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Well, some people love dogs, and they are family members. Some people eat dogs, and some people...like cops, don't give a fuck because they are power hungry punks who just look for an excuse to show how fucking tough they are by shooting an innocent animal....fuck this shit. And fuck and fuck fuck. No excuse. NONE!

mac_hine
07-01-2013, 08:52 PM
When they're not shooting dogs, Hawthorne police also enjoy tasering autistic children.
http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_15607803

I'm literally shaking in anger after watching the video.

If you Support Your Local Police, THIS is the kind of thing you're willing to countenance. Functionaries who would kidnap a peaceful, innocent man and then murder his dog have no place among decent people.

noneedtoaggress
07-01-2013, 08:52 PM
The rest of the video isn't much more graphic than that still shot. It's actually a very short part at the end and it's from a distance.

Apparently they arrested him and charged him with obstructing over his radio:

PINAC:

UPDATE: The man who was arrested, Leon Rosby, was charged with obstructing officers.

According to CBS:

Attorney Michael Gulden said his client Leon Rosby was watching and taking video of the Hawthorne SWAT team when police claimed Rosby was obstructing officers during the barricade.

Rosby is seen in video footage walking with the dog – which appeared to be a Rottweiler – near several patrol cars to capture the scene on his phone.

After an exchange with nearby officers, Rosby is heard saying the words, “civil rights violation” before returning the dog to his vehicle.

As officers begin to proceed toward Rosby, he also begins walking in the direction of the officers and is then taken into custody without any further exchange.

According to the Daily Breeze, Rosby was arrested because he had refused to turn down his car radio, which can be heard in the video.

The shooting occurred about 7:15 p.m. Sunday at 137th Street and Jefferson Avenue about two hours after police surrounded a house where a gunman had robbed two people inside. A crowd of spectators gathered in response to the large police response, which included several police cars and the department’s Bearcat armored vehicle.

As some, including resident Gabriel Martinez, aimed their cellphones at the scene to record it, Rosby drove up in his rented black Mazda. Swain said Rosby stopped in the intersection with music blaring from his windows. Officers told him to turn down the music because they were trying to hear what was happening down the street. Rosby pulled forward, parked and got out with his dog, but left the music still playing loudly.

“It’s distracting the officers,” Swain said. “It’s interfering with what they are able to hear. It’s not just a party call. It’s an armed robbery call. The officers need to hear what’s going on with the people being called out of the residence. That music in his car is bleeding over and it’s distracting them.”

It still doesn’t make sense considering Rosby walked back to his car, placed his dog inside, then walked back to the cops and allowed himself to be arrested.

Why didn’t he just turn down the music when he placed the dog back inside?

If he was so defiant about the music, wouldn’t he have been more defiant about getting arrested?

Here is a video recorded before the above video from when Rosby pulled up to the scene, parked his car and stepped out to begin recording.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_23578147/hawthorne-police-kill-dog-during-arrest-owner

A Hawthorne man complained Monday that police officers needlessly killed his Rottweiler as they took him into custody for allegedly causing a disturbance at a crime

scene.
The shooting, captured on cellphone video, began to go viral following its posting Sunday night on YouTube. The video shows the dog jumping through the open window of Leon Rosby's car and lunging at the officers after they handcuffed him. One male officer fired about four shots, wounding the dog and sending it squirming in the street.

"There was no way Max should have died like that," Rosby said. "Max was only protecting his master. He was trying to stop them from beating on me."

Police said the dog lunged at officers, giving them no choice but to shoot it.

"It looks like the officer tried to reach down and grab the leash, and then the dog lunges in the direction of him and the other officers there,"

Advertisement

Hawthorne police Lt. Scott Swain said. "And I know it's the dog's master, and more than likely not going to attack him, (but) we've got a guy handcuffed that's kind of defenseless. We have a duty to defend him, too."
The shooting occurred about 7:15 p.m. Sunday at 137th Street and Jefferson Avenue about two hours after police surrounded a house where a gunman had robbed two people inside. A crowd of spectators gathered in response to the large police response, which included several police cars and the department's Bearcat armored vehicle.

As some, including resident Gabriel Martinez, aimed their cellphones at the scene to record it, Rosby drove up in his rented black Mazda. Swain said Rosby stopped in the intersection with music blaring from his windows. Officers told him to turn down the music because they were trying to hear what was happening down the street. Rosby pulled forward, parked and got out with his dog, but left the music still playing loudly.

"It's distracting the officers," Swain said. "It's interfering with what they are able to hear. It's not just a party call. It's an armed robbery call. The officers need to hear what's going on with the people being called out of the residence. That music in

Hawthorne resident Leon Rosby talks about his encounter with Hawthorne Police Sunday at 137th St. and Jefferson Ave. that ended with his Rottweiler Max being shot to death by officers. Rosby stands near the blood spattered sidewalk where his dog was killed. (Robert Casillas / Staff Photographer)
his car is bleeding over and it's distracting them."
Martinez said the Usher song "Tell Me Again" was looping over and over.

Rosby, who pulled out his own cellphone to record the police activity, did not lower the volume.

"I do apologize if I didn't immediately comply. The music may have been a little loud but I was complying," Rosby said. "I said, 'Sir, I want to make sure nobody's civil rights were being violated.' "

A neighbor, who asked not to be identified, said the officers asked him to turn the music down, but he refused. Rosby, she said, responded, "It's my (expletive) radio!"

Rosby, 52, denied cursing, saying he was a Christian.

Once police arrested the suspected robber, officers motioned to Rosby and began walking toward him. Swain said they intended to arrest him and told him to put the dog in his car. He complied.

The video shows him putting the dog in the car, but leaving the windows open. Rosby said he walked toward officers, turned and put his hands behind his back, and waited for them to arrest him. The video shows the dog barking as officers took him into custody.

Suddenly, the 130-pound, 3-year-old dog jumped out of the car and ran at them.

"I said, 'No, Max!' " Rosby said. The dog is seen lunging at the officer, who fired several shots.

"He literally shot my puppy I had since he was 6 weeks old," Rosby said.

The dog died in the street.

"I was crying and hollering, 'My dog! My dog! Max! Max!' " he said.

Rosby spent the night in jail on suspicion of obstruction and was released at 5 a.m. Monday.

He said Monday he believed police were retaliating against him because of previous run-ins and struggles with officers. Court records show he has previous convictions for resisting, battery and driving under the influence. Rosby, who is black, said he has filed six complaints against the Hawthorne Police Department, alleging mistreatment and racial profiling.

Rosby filed a lawsuit against the city of Hawthorne and two police officers in March, contending officers broke one of his ribs when they responded to a domestic violence disturbance at his house, not far from the dog shooting scene.

"There's been a pattern of harassment against him and other African-Americans in Hawthorne," said Rosby's attorney, Michael Gulden. "Last July, the police responded to his home and beat him unnecessarily, then threw him in jail for no reason. We sued for that. We'll amend that complaint to include the dog incident."

Rosby, a husband and father, said police should have taken his handcuffs off so he could corral the dog. There also was no need to arrest him, he said.

"Why did they not just let me go when I put him in the car?" he asked.

Rosby said he and Max had spent their last moments together at the Lawndale dog park. The dog kept licking him on the back of the neck in his car as he drove.

"All he did was love me," he said.

Staff writer Sandy Mazza contributed to this article.

noneedtoaggress
07-01-2013, 08:58 PM
You act like the cop had forever to respond... this happened in a few seconds... The officer only had a short period to make a decision. He decided to try and grab the dog's collar instead of shooting it (trigger happy cops shoot the dogs as soon as they charge) the dog became aggressive and tried to bite him. At that point he was justified in killing the dog.

I'm not at all, and I'm aware of how short it took.

It's not an instinctual reaction to approach a big dog with your arm out and it takes about long to understand the ramifications as it does to consciously choose to act upon it.

Matthew5
07-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Oh, the irony...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/943484_10151629147799659_769505114_n.jpg

noneedtoaggress
07-01-2013, 09:06 PM
K9 Officer Moulton and partner standing in front of our brand new K-9 SUV.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/250506_10151592575314659_1405401111_n.jpg

Anyone care to guess what happens if someone self-defenses against their dog?

kcchiefs6465
07-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Hawthorne police Lt. Scott Swain said. "And I know it's the dog's master, and more than likely not going to attack him, (but) we've got a guy handcuffed that's kind of defenseless. We have a duty to defend him, too."
I guess I did jump to conclusions VA, I apologize. Here they were protecting the man they unlawfully arrested from his own dog. I never even considered that in all of my cop bashing.

VoluntaryAmerican
07-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Apparently they arrested him and charged him with obstructing over his radio:

PINAC:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_23578147/hawthorne-police-kill-dog-during-arrest-owner

Based on this the cops were wrong for arresting him.

VoluntaryAmerican
07-01-2013, 09:16 PM

Grow up. :)

noneedtoaggress
07-01-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm not at all, and I'm aware of how short it took.

It's not an instinctual reaction to approach a big dog with your arm out and it takes about long to understand the ramifications as it does to consciously choose to act upon it.

Also, whether you considered him to be "trigger happy" or not is subjective and its irrelevant to me how you choose to apply that label to people. It's simply a word people use to judge the appropriateness of someone's use of force when less forceful options are available.

chudrockz
07-02-2013, 05:16 AM
If I were walking around carrying my glock, I cannot think of a scenario where I would EVER shoot a dog unless it was actively biting me or someone else. Hell, my dog "charges" people every day at the dog park. And she does it with tail wagging and when she reaches them she always flips over immediately for a belly rub.

Once she got blatantly attacked at the park by a large male black lab. She wailed in terror, rolled over, and prepared to get eaten. Didn't even fight back one bit.

Vicious pitbulls my ASS.

SooperDave
07-02-2013, 06:10 AM
So, the cops violate this mans rights... because they fear being filmed will expose them for what they are (Gestapo)... and because of that the dog - that was on a leash - is running around unleashed and frantic...then a cowardly cop prematurely pumps some lead into the dog because he's a pussy...what a sad state of affairs...I never America would look like this.

erowe1
07-02-2013, 06:16 AM
Can we get a cop shoots dog subforum?

Nobexliberty
07-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Can we get a cop shoots dog subforum? It would have too many threads.

WM_in_MO
07-02-2013, 06:54 AM
Can we get a cop shoots dog subforum?
We have a Cop Shoots Dog megathread.

SeanTX
07-02-2013, 06:58 AM
So, the cops violate this mans rights... because they fear being filmed will expose them for what they are (Gestapo)... and because of that the dog - that was on a leash - is running around unleashed and frantic...then a cowardly cop prematurely pumps some lead into the dog because he's a pussy...what a sad state of affairs...I never America would look like this.

The saddest thing is that there are so many "law and order" conservatives and even "libertarians" who will defend this, and anything like it. "It's all the dog owner's fault for not turning down his music as ordered right away, f*ck that guy and his dog -- good shoot! "

Blaming the victim of government abuse has always been a common facet of fascism. Comply or die -- or your dog will get it at least.

Melissa
07-02-2013, 07:18 AM
I am so sad by this whole thing..and one of the reasons I will never ever call the police unless it is a medical emergency..I foster dogs for a rescue and I have my own in the house..and this is my greatest fear that sometime the cops come out and my dogs jump (they are labs..they think everyone is there to play with them) and the police shoot..

Melissa
07-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Also watch this video and why private police can and do work...they actually want to protect and server their customers..this is in Detroit...since police wont come out to some calls anymore..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onWC8nNpIco

A. Havnes
07-02-2013, 08:07 AM
I am so sad by this whole thing..and one of the reasons I will never ever call the police unless it is a medical emergency..I foster dogs for a rescue and I have my own in the house..and this is my greatest fear that sometime the cops come out and my dogs jump (they are labs..they think everyone is there to play with them) and the police shoot..

Everyone who owns animals should think twice before calling the police. Cops would probably shoot a miniature Dachshund in self defense if it made a lunge for an ankle! I have a cat at home that seems to think the best way to get pet is to just climb everyone and everything. Cops would probably kill him for attacking them...

Red Green
07-02-2013, 09:22 AM
In the war of dogs vs. pigs, I'm definitely on the side of the dogs.

jtstellar
07-02-2013, 09:46 AM

ok i don't wish the death of a family pet on anyone.. i still think they're just animals and not remotely close to humans/human family members in anyway, and i don't like their subservient attitude (well they are animals), but of course the same thing is different things to everyone, seeing how some people can be so attached to animals make me regret further my comments earlier this year to AF.

i have owned pets before, 2 birds, and my dad is a fervent dog lover, but i just can't feel that attached to them. In a way it actually gives me pressure to feel i'm responsible for some other life form and on their death the blame will be solely on me one way or another. When i own them, it feels like i'm playing with life, and it takes the joy out of it.

belian78
07-02-2013, 09:54 AM
ok i don't wish the death of a family pet on anyone.. i still think they're just animals and not remotely close to humans/human family members in anyway, and i don't like their subservient attitude (well they are animals), but of course the same thing is different things to everyone, seeing how some people can be so attached to animals make me regret further my comments earlier this year to AF.

i have owned pets before, 2 birds, and my dad is a fervent dog lover, but i just can't feel that attached to them. In a way it actually gives me pressure to feel i'm responsible for some other life form and on their death the blame will be solely on me one way or another. When i own them, it feels like i'm playing with life, and it takes the joy out of it.

That's one of the beautiful things about sharing your life with a pet. The love and companionship you feel for them, they feel for you too, just in their own way. Which, you give a dog a good home and life, they will go out of their way in every way to show you how much they love you. It's one of the most rewarding things you could ever experience.

Red Green
07-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Every time I meet someone new, my sincerest hope is that they have half the humanity that my dog displays on a daily basis. That says something about humans and about dogs. I think dogs have been bred to be the best they can be and sad to say, humans not so much these days.

jtstellar
07-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Every time I meet someone new, my sincerest hope is that they have half the humanity that my dog displays on a daily basis. That says something about humans and about dogs. I think dogs have been bred to be the best they can be and sad to say, humans not so much these days.

ya well i'm not getting into a debate of what humanity is and whether animals have them and to what degree, i'm just saying when it comes down to animal raising, some people like me feel pressure handling another life and especially the death of animals which is pretty much a one time too many experience for some of us.

some just don't feel like playing with life. whether you enjoy their presence is another issue. on that point, how some women can willy-nilly cut out a baby from their womb and call it their own mass of flesh, half of whose genes didn't even come from their own body, is entirely beyond me. It's not a clone of yourself, hence not your body mass nor a part of it. Do these women learn biology? Someone who can do that and feel no guilt, i don't want them in my neighborhood or anywhere in my eyesight, want nothing to do with them. ain't only a christian issue, no.

i have heard people talk pro-abortion that at the same time are animal rights activists, therefore every time 'humanity' is brought up about animals when in a society even an unborn baby can be non-human to some, my knee jerk reaction is always thanks but no thanks, not really interested in discussion of that direction even remotely.

That's one of the beautiful things about sharing your life with a pet. The love and companionship you feel for them, they feel for you too, just in their own way. Which, you give a dog a good home and life, they will go out of their way in every way to show you how much they love you. It's one of the most rewarding things you could ever experience.

it's possible but my first pets died on neglect, granted i was like 8 years old at the time, but it wasn't a very good experience. Actually, it was pretty haunting, but the memory was distant and i kinda forgot what it was like to see a pet die, hence my poorly thought out comments to AF. But i do think we have more important issues for our time, and problems for the police is structural

as for pets, when i am older and time is freed from politics i guess. not too much time to roam for a political junkie

PaulConventionWV
07-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Not gonna watch the video. Said it before but I'll say it again:

If ANYONE shoots my dog in self defense (imo) I'll grieve and move on. Anyone kills my dog for ANYTHING else, I resign from the Libertarian Party, take a piss on the nonagression principle, bid farewell to everyone here, and make headlines.

:(

That is just stupid. I can't believe the lengths people will go to to avenge a fucking dog. Oh, now I'm going to get dumped on for using the word "fucking" in the same sentence as "dog". Seriously, grow up and don't compromise your principles because of a dog. That's just idiotic.

Melissa
07-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Just a Dog huh http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://herdogblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/just-a-dog.jpg&imgrefurl=http://herdogblog.com/2012/02/14/just-a-dog/&h=700&w=500&sz=107&tbnid=xQ9gsw9XoSwKxM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=64&zoom=1&usg=__DsugNjjfLTgR_TuqbTnNo_Tmo-k=&docid=Muxja6darR5awM&sa=X&ei=pgDTUaizD-ThiALq9IH4Bg&ved=0CD0Q9QEwBA&dur=36
That is just stupid. I can't believe the lengths people will go to to avenge a fucking dog. Oh, now I'm going to get dumped on for using the word "fucking" in the same sentence as "dog". Seriously, grow up and don't compromise your principles because of a dog. That's just idiotic.

PaulConventionWV
07-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Hell, when you show up to a place with a bunch of cops with a camera AND a dog, the LEAST you can expect is for the dog to get shot.

On another note, though, I think the guy has a pretty poor case for his lawsuit. Just the fact that he uttered "civil rights violation" before calmly walking up to them and willingly being placed under arrest screams profit motive. Who else calmly walks toward police who are half a block away when they could speed away in their car rather than face arrest? I don't believe the arrest was lawful, just that he made a poor decision and his lawsuit will probably fail.

PaulConventionWV
07-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Just a Dog huh http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://herdogblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/just-a-dog.jpg&imgrefurl=http://herdogblog.com/2012/02/14/just-a-dog/&h=700&w=500&sz=107&tbnid=xQ9gsw9XoSwKxM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=64&zoom=1&usg=__DsugNjjfLTgR_TuqbTnNo_Tmo-k=&docid=Muxja6darR5awM&sa=X&ei=pgDTUaizD-ThiALq9IH4Bg&ved=0CD0Q9QEwBA&dur=36

Yeah, yeah, nice poem. Whatever. It's still just a dog. Yes, I said it. It's just a dog. Doessn't make it right, but you don't have to become a vicious killer because your pet dies.

tod evans
07-02-2013, 10:41 AM

I value my dogs lives over those of nameless agents of the state.

Come visit, fuck with my dogs, find out. :mad:

[edit]

Kops own the cities.

Men own the country.

kahless
07-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Yeah, yeah, nice poem. Whatever. It's still just a dog. Yes, I said it. It's just a dog. Doessn't make it right, but you don't have to become a vicious killer because your pet dies.

Hell, when you show up to a place with a bunch of cops with a camera AND a dog, the LEAST you can expect is for the dog to get shot.

On another note, though, I think the guy has a pretty poor case for his lawsuit. Just the fact that he uttered "civil rights violation" before calmly walking up to them and willingly being placed under arrest screams profit motive. Who else calmly walks toward police who are half a block away when they could speed away in their car rather than face arrest? I don't believe the arrest was lawful, just that he made a poor decision and his lawsuit will probably fail.

Pretty much the same thing I was thinking except that I think he has a good case for a lawsuit despite it. The state will have to settle since you do not want a jury seeing that video.

PaulConventionWV
07-02-2013, 10:55 AM
I value my dogs lives over those of nameless agents of the state.

Come visit, fuck with my dogs, find out. :mad:

[edit]

Kops own the cities.

Men own the country.

Sure, maybe I would, too, but it wouldn't send me into a murderous rage. Talking to fervent dog-worshippers is kind of like talking to the 3rd grade boys who think guns are the solutions to all of life's problems. They can be overheard discussing the variety of situations in which they would pull out a certain kind of gun and make it all better in a blaze of glory.

That said, I don't think anyone here would actually "make headlines" (in a murderous rampage kind of way) over a dead dog. At least, I hope not. They're just talking shit because, like the gun-obsessed 3rd grade boys, they just think it's cool to talk like that.

PaulConventionWV
07-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Pretty much the same thing I was thinking except that I think he has a good case for a lawsuit despite it. The state will have to settle since you do not want a jury seeing that video.

You may have a point. It's incredibly easy to settle these days. His case is actually very poor, though, considering all the blinking neon signs that point to his obvious profit motive for doing what he did.

tod evans
07-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Has nothing to do with third-grade anything.

Men tend to live on their own property and protect what is theirs.

A smart man would never take a dog in his care into an environment such as depicted in the video.

This man wouldn't take an animal into the city let alone a family member.

People who make the conscious decision to be subjugated by living right on top of each other only have two choices;

Rebel against the ruling faction.

Become submissive.

I will not submit and I have no doubt the rulers in the city won't either....

Not a good fit.

Red Green
07-02-2013, 11:13 AM

I don't condone violence, but some of us consider our dogs part of the family. If my brother was executed by a pig, would you say I was in the wrong if I went to get some frontier justice?

Like I said, I don't condone justice but there are two classes of people I never shed a tear over when I hear about them getting murdered: pigs and politicians. The way I look at it is they most likely had it coming and it was overdue.

PaulConventionWV
07-02-2013, 11:20 AM
I don't condone violence, but some of us consider our dogs part of the family. If my brother was executed by a pig, would you say I was in the wrong if I went to get some frontier justice?

Like I said, I don't condone justice but there are two classes of people I never shed a tear over when I hear about them getting murdered: pigs and politicians. The way I look at it is they most likely had it coming and it was overdue.

The problem lies in understanding that your dog and your brother are two completely different things.

PaulConventionWV
07-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Has nothing to do with third-grade anything.

Men tend to live on their own property and protect what is theirs.

A smart man would never take a dog in his care into an environment such as depicted in the video.

This man wouldn't take an animal into the city let alone a family member.

People who make the conscious decision to be subjugated by living right on top of each other only have two choices;

Rebel against the ruling faction.

Become submissive.

I will not submit and I have no doubt the rulers in the city won't either....

Not a good fit.

Not sure what the point of that ramble was.

noneedtoaggress
07-02-2013, 11:58 AM
The owner of the dog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsOU3WT7BTQ

Seems like the officer who shot the dog (Salmon) was also involved in this:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/02/prweb1946004.htm

Hawthorne Police Department Pays $1,000,000 To Settle Police Brutality & Corruption Lawsuit

The Hawthorne Police Department paid One Million Dollars to a Settle Lawsuit in which it was alleged a man was kicked in the face while handcuffed and then falsely prosecuted along with his wife to cover up the brutality. Evidence the plaintiffs were prepared to present at trial included a photograph of an officer appearing to kick the handcuffed plaintiff in the face and a surveillance video allegedly depicting officers high-fiving each other as the injured plaintiff suffered from a broken jaw.

The Hawthorne Police Department paid One Million Dollars to a Settle Lawsuit in which it was alleged a man was kicked in the face while handcuffed and then falsely prosecuted along with his wife to cover up the brutality. Evidence the plaintiffs were prepared to present at trial included a photograph of an officer appearing to kick the handcuffed plaintiff in the face and a surveillance video allegedly depicting officers high-fiving each other as the injured plaintiff suffered from a broken jaw.

After approval by the City Council, Hawthorne paid $1,000,000, (one million dollars) to settle Goodrow v. Hawthorne Police Department, Case No. CV- 07-5253 (VBV), on the eve of trial in United States District Court, Central District of California, the Honorable Judge Valerie Baker Fairbank presiding.

Officers Ian Elliot, Thomas Heffner, Melanie Newenham, Renee Descant, Jeffrey Salmon, David Gregor and Jailer Darnell Wallace were among defendants named in the lawsuit. The plaintiffs Anthony Goodrow and Karla Henriquez Goodrow sued the Hawthorne Police Officers for alleged deprivation of their civil rights resulting from excessive force, denial of medical treatment and malicious prosecution, stemming from an incident that occurred at a party on July 21, 2006.

On July 21, 2006, the Hawthorne Police Department received a loud noise complaint. Plaintiffs contend that in shutting down the party, officers beat plaintiff Anthony Goodrow, handcuffed him and then continued to beat him. It was further alleged that while Mr. Goodrow was handcuffed and face down on the cement, an Officer kicked Mr. Goodrow in the face breaking his jaw. Mr. Goodrow alleged he was arrested and taken to the jail instead of the hospital causing a delay in medical treatment. The wife of Mr. Goodrow, Karla Henriquez Goodrow, alleged she witnessed part of the beating and screamed for officers to stop. She alleged they arrested her and falsely charged her with public intoxication.

The Goodrows were then prosecuted in criminal court. Ultimately the criminal charges against Mr. Goodrow were dismissed. The case against Mrs. Goodrow proceeded to trial and she was acquitted. After the acquittal the Goodrows filed a federal lawsuit against the officers for deprivation of civil rights, excessive force, malicious prosecution and denial of medical treatment.

Attorney's Glen Jonas and Christopher Driscoll (from the law firm of Jonas & Driscoll L.L.P.) litigated the civil action to its successful conclusion. Todd Melnik was the attorney who successfully defended the plaintiffs in the original criminal matters, enabling the firm of Jonas & Driscoll to litigate the civil rights action against the defendant police officers.

In April 2008, the law firm of Jonas & Driscoll L.L.P. attained a $4.5 million dollar jury verdict against Bell Gardens Police Officers. In July 2009, Jonas & Driscoll L.L.P. will bring to trial L.A. County Sheriff's Deputies accused of viciously beating Deon Dirks.

If you need further information, contact Glen Jonas at 213-683-2033.

noneedtoaggress
07-02-2013, 12:03 PM
PR statements:

http://static.photographyisnotacrime.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Hawthorne-police-press-release.jpg

http://static.photographyisnotacrime.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Hawthorne-police-press-release2.jpg

& a new video angle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50uiOT_uSvw

Red Green
07-02-2013, 12:08 PM
The problem lies in understanding that your dog and your brother are two completely different things.

They might be two different things to you as a dispassionate observer, but not necessarily to someone who is emotionally bound to the dog.

I assume by your answer that you would not necessarily condemn someone for taking revenge for a sibling? If so, then it is just a matter of degrees because the avenging of a sibling is an emotional response to injustice just like the revenge for a dog.

Lucille
07-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Armed police vs leashed dog
http://voxday.blogspot.com/2013/07/armed-police-vs-leashed-dog.html

I'd like to see a law that requires the execution of police officers who shoot dogs, but I'd settle for their immediate dismissal from the force and being banned from owning dogs for life. The dog was on a leash, for crying out loud, and his owner was right there. They had a plethora of options available to them, and yet they preferred the one that permit them to live out their violent fantasies. To kill a loyal beast who was only doing his best to protect his master is unconscionable, and yet that has become standard police policy when invading a home.

Throughout history, the state police have always been among the primary instruments of evil, and in the present USA, the corrupt Badge Gang have thoroughly embraced evil in their own right. Their observable enthusiasm for slaughtering innocent animals and children in the pursuit of their "duty" only underlines how sick and depraved they are.

And spare me the "few bad apples" nonsense. If you're wearing a badge these days, you are part of the problem. Ask yourself this: when you and your "brothers" distinguish yourself from "civilians", with whom do you believe you are at war?

http://www.petsadviser.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/no-officer-killed-by-dogs.png

Labels: NWA was right (http://voxday.blogspot.com/search/label/NWA%20was%20right)

tod evans
07-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Not sure what the point of that ramble was.

And that speaks louder than anything else you could possibly say.

Czolgosz
07-02-2013, 12:24 PM
A man with a video camera was caged.

devil21
07-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Those cops look like they have Down Syndrome, particularly the one on the left. They sure aren't hiring the "best and brightest" and that's intentional.

chudrockz
07-02-2013, 06:36 PM

It's not a pet dying that would cause that reaction (in me, at least). My dog being MURDERED? Yeah, you fuckin' BET.

My dog is NOT just a dog.

chudrockz
07-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Okay. NOW I made the ultimate mistake of watching the video. The cop that squeezed the trigger is a fucking BASTARD for whom death is too good. FUCK. :(

noneedtoaggress
07-04-2013, 03:40 AM
Video interview with the chief inside (with some :rolleyes: acting):

Hawthorne police pull 3 officers involved in dog shooting incident from the street for their safety (http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_23594182)

And a letter he wrote concerning the incident:

http://htmlimg1.scribdassets.com/70i0xk8dvk2ko4w5/images/1-73fe5822ef.jpg

Nobexliberty
07-04-2013, 03:59 AM
Just because he is a cop does not mean he does not have the right to defend themself. The owner did not properly restrain his dog and it died because of it. It could have been treated differently but the cops still have the right for self defence.

kcchiefs6465
07-04-2013, 04:04 AM
Just because he is a cop does not mean he does not have the right to defend themself. The owner did not properly restrain his dog and it died because of it. It could have been treated differently but the cops still have the right for self defence.
Unlawful arrest.

Nobexliberty
07-04-2013, 04:10 AM
Unlawful arrest. You mean the guy who intentionally made it hard for cops to there job serving society like they are supposed to. I am not a lawyer but the cops are not to blame.

kcchiefs6465
07-04-2013, 04:17 AM
You mean the guy who intentionally made it hard for cops to there job serving society like they are supposed to. I am not a lawyer but the cops are not to blame.
No, I mean the pigs who intentionally shut down an entire road with at least four squad cars and a MRAP vehicle.

Nobexliberty
07-04-2013, 04:23 AM
No, I mean the pigs who intentionally shut down an entire road with at least four squad cars and a MRAP vehicle. Maybe because they have an arrest warrant and need not to be disturbed. It can be for several reasons unless I missed something reading about this incident.

Edit:It was an armed robbery call so they were just doing their job.

kcchiefs6465
07-04-2013, 04:36 AM
Maybe because they have an arrest warrant and need not to be disturbed. It can be for several reasons unless I missed something reading about this incident.
And he obstructed how? His loud music interrupted the two cops looking around at jack didley shit on the sidewalk? Oh, they say they wouldn't hear their radios if the call for back up was needed... right....

"Need not be disturbed."? Seems to me the only disturbing aspect is a mine resistant vehicle traveling up a city road. Or the fact that an entire road is shut down. Or the fact that a man was arrested (and later released) for filming their tactics.

Need not be disturbed.. that's good. That neighborhood needed not be disturbed! You do realize that there are methods tried and true for hundreds of years of apprehending robbers? For apprehending murderers? You know, before MRAP vehicles and DoD granted APCs.

Unlawful arrest is unlawful.

The dog is furthering the defense against the unlawful arrest therefore the shooting is unlawful. Was that the man charged with a robbery? I think not.

kcchiefs6465
07-04-2013, 04:40 AM
By the way, I haven't heard.. but did they arrest the robbery suspect at said house they were raiding?

I'd bet not.

Nobexliberty
07-04-2013, 05:07 AM
And he obstructed how? His loud music interrupted the two cops looking around at jack didley shit on the sidewalk? Oh, they say they wouldn't hear their radios if the call for back up was needed... right....

"Need not be disturbed."? Seems to me the only disturbing aspect is a mine resistant vehicle traveling up a city road. Or the fact that an entire road is shut down. Or the fact that a man was arrested (and later released) for filming their tactics.

Need not be disturbed.. that's good. That neighborhood needed not be disturbed! You do realize that there are methods tried and true for hundreds of years of apprehending robbers? For apprehending murderers? You know, before MRAP vehicles and DoD granted APCs.

Unlawful arrest is unlawful.

The dog is furthering the defense against the unlawful arrest therefore the shooting is unlawful. Was that the man charged with a robbery? I think not.
It was not unlawful, it is a public road and authorities have the right to close them down if they need it. The cops were simply doing their job catching suspects and the dog owner interrupted it, they stopped him and his dog attacked. The cop simply defended himself.

By the way, I haven't heard.. but did they arrest the robbery suspect at said house they were raiding?

I'd bet not.

They barricaded so the suspect so he was probably caught unless he is bullet proof then there is no reason why he should have gotten away.

chudrockz
07-04-2013, 05:49 AM

Did you actually WATCH the video? That cop was NOT defending himself, he was murdering a dog. Unless of course you think that (for instance) that Cho maniac at Virginia Tech was just defending himself as well.

Nobexliberty
07-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Did you actually WATCH the video? That cop was NOT defending himself, he was murdering a dog. Unless of course you think that (for instance) that Cho maniac at Virginia Tech was just defending himself as well. I watched the video and the cop was defending himself.

chudrockz
07-04-2013, 06:11 AM
I watched the video and the cop was defending himself.

Then if that is what you believe we can agree to disagree, and I remind anyone reading that ANYONE who likewise "defends themselves" against my dog will rue the day they do so.

noneedtoaggress
07-04-2013, 06:23 AM
Another interview with the owner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzvJzqZ8iVY

And a facebook post by an officer at the department calling for the dog owner to be prosecuted for it's death:

http://www.secretsofthefed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/COP-TALK-FINAL.png

http://www.secretsofthefed.com/cali-cop-blames-dead-dog-on-owner-in-strange-facebook-rant/

chudrockz
07-04-2013, 06:34 AM
lkAnd there you have it. WATCH the news report in post #92. At about 1:45 the reporter says "Hawthorne police wouldn't talk on camera. They say they are truly sensitive to the loss of the dog, but officers feared that Max would bite them"

So by that logic, if I walk down the street shooting every cop I see, I have a valid defense. "I'm sorry I shot every cop I encountered, but I feared the officers might shoot me."

Nobexliberty
07-04-2013, 08:34 AM
lkAnd there you have it. WATCH the news report in post #92. At about 1:45 the reporter says "Hawthorne police wouldn't talk on camera. They say they are truly sensitive to the loss of the dog, but officers feared that Max would bite them"

So by that logic, if I walk down the street shooting every cop I see, I have a valid defense. "I'm sorry I shot every cop I encountered, but I feared the officers might shoot me."
There is a big difference.

juleswin
07-04-2013, 08:59 AM

Defending himself? if he did not unlawfully arrest Leon, he wouldn't have needed to defend himself. Ever think maybe the dog was trying to defend his owner? If that is how it works then I can walk up to my enemy, punch him in the face and when he trying to defend himself, I can shoot him claiming self defense.

This is not how it works.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
07-04-2013, 10:52 AM
There are some real pussies on this site. That dog was not only mild by dog standards, the pig actually reaches for the dog. His punishment needs to be the broomstick treatment. 100 pumps up his ass. No lubricant. LOL!

Matthew5
07-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Yikes, that grammar. I'm guessing officer Vasquez didn't graduate top ten in his class.

Czolgosz
07-04-2013, 12:01 PM
... if he did not unlawfully arrest Leon, he wouldn't have needed to defend himself.

The only sentence needed, this effectively ends any discussion regarding the matter.

AFPVet
07-04-2013, 12:46 PM
It's almost freaking SOP for these new guys to shoot dogs instead of using less lethal or 'smart' ways of dealing with them. Instead of shocking granny or pepper spraying a little kid for non compliance, how about you use those tools on 'aggressive dogs'? Or better yet, have some dog treats like the postman. Instead of shooting a dog without hesitation or remorse, use better judgment.

Perhaps we should look at the personality types they are hiring for law enforcement nowadays.... Follows orders without question, lacks empathy, has below average intelligence....

nobody's_hero
07-04-2013, 01:31 PM

The guy was filming cops with a camera, a crime punishable by death of pet and arrest.

SeanTX
07-04-2013, 02:18 PM
It's almost freaking SOP for these new guys to shoot dogs instead of using less lethal or 'smart' ways of dealing with them.

Was just reading elsewhere about an off-duty cop who shot and killed a dog in a pet store -- and recall two stories from the past year where K9 officers shot their dogs during visits to the veterinarian . SOP with them seems to be if a dog acts up -- shoot it! No other options apparently ...

devil21
07-04-2013, 03:04 PM
And a facebook post by an officer at the department calling for the dog owner to be prosecuted for it's death:

http://www.secretsofthefed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/COP-TALK-FINAL.png

And this officer proves my point about most of them being morons.

Anti Federalist
07-05-2013, 12:12 PM
California police slammed with death threats after shooting Max the Rottweiler

Outraged pet lovers are retaliating against the police officers involved in the dog’s death. The Hawthorne Police Department released a video taken from a different angle which they hope proves that the officers had no other choice.

By Carol Kuruvilla / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hawthorne-police-receive-death-threats-shooting-max-rottweiler-article-1.1390610#ixzz2YCDI0kYQ

Constitutional Paulicy
07-05-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm so sick of cop shoots dog. Shouldn't we be more concerned with other matters? Like how do we take back our country?

Anti Federalist
07-05-2013, 12:15 PM
And this officer proves my point about most of them being morons.

Spelling, punctuation and grammar, matters.

Anti Federalist
07-05-2013, 12:17 PM
I'm so sick of cop shoots dog. Shouldn't we be more concerned with other matters? Like how do we take back out country?

Sick of?

How so?

Should this just be disregarded, until they move on to people, which they have done for the most part?

Yeah, let's take the country back.

You do that by identifying the occupying army of the thieves who stole it.

Because who do you think is going to fight to keep it from you?

Constitutional Paulicy
07-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Sick of?

How so?

Should this just be disregarded, until they move on to people, which they have done for the most part?

Yeah, let's take the country back.

You do that by identifying the occupying army of the thieves who stole it.

Because who do you think is going to fight to keep it from you?

I've seen far too many of these threads concerning dogs. As much as I love dogs, it seems we should be far more concerned with the billion other matters that concern everything I've heard you protest time and again. But dogs seems to be on the agenda every day I visit this forum. It's not at the top of my list of concerns.

Czolgosz
07-05-2013, 12:32 PM
California police slammed with death threats after shooting Max the Rottweiler

And not because they're arresting people for no reason. Love people.

AFPVet
07-05-2013, 12:37 PM
This epidemic of shooting dogs should be very concerning! Psychologically, people who abuse and kill animals for sadistic pleasure often move up to humans. If you can shoot a dog without batting an eye, you will have NO PROBLEM blasting a peaceful human being.

Even if I had no other choice but to shoot a dog, I wouldn't be ok afterwards. I would definitely need to talk to a professional following the event. In many ways, shooting a dog can be worse than shooting a human from a psychological standpoint because dogs and children are very similar (many dogs have the intelligence of a six year old child).

Constitutional Paulicy
07-05-2013, 12:45 PM
In many ways, shooting a dog can be worse than shooting a human from a psychological standpoint because dogs and children are very similar (many dogs have the intelligence of a six year old child).

Please, lets not compare dogs to children.

AFPVet
07-05-2013, 01:06 PM

Why not? http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/dogs-intelligence-higher-two-year-old-child-psychologist-article-1.397371

Dogs' intelligence can be higher than two-year-old child, psychologist says
By Rosemary Black / DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 12:42 AM
Print

Is this dog smarter than a two-and-a-half-year-old child? Quite possibly, says psychologist Stanley Coren.
Hagen for News
Is this dog smarter than a two-and-a-half-year-old child? Quite possibly, says psychologist Stanley Coren.
Is your dog smarter than a fifth grader? Well, he may not be a canine Einstein, but he's got the intelligence of a two and a half year old human child, plus he's capable of basic arithmetic, understands more than 165 words, and can deceive people in order to get treats, according to psychologist Stanley Coren, Ph.D.

Coren spoke at the American Psychological Association's 117th annual convention on Saturday on the topic of "How Dogs Think," which also happens to be the name of his book.

People now use intelligence tests on dogs that were originally designed for use on young humans, Coren explained in an article in USA Today.

"And that allows you then to do a whole bunch of things, not only to determine whether a dog has a certain thinking skill but to place him in terms of where would you be in terms of human beings, as well as in terms of other animals," says Coren, an emeritus professor of psychology at the University of British Columbia.

Intelligence varies from breed to breed, Coren explains. Data from more than 200 dog obedience judges was used to compare the intelligence of dog breeds, according to USA Today. The smartest dogs? Border collies, followed in descending order by poodles, German shepherds, golden retrievers, Dobermans, Shetland sheepdogs and Labrador retrievers, according Coren and reported in USA Today.

"We all want insight into how our furry companions think, and we want to understand the silly, quirky and apparently irrational behaviors that Lassie or Rover demonstrate," Coren said in an interview, as reported in USA Today."

But before you start wondering if your dog needs a tutor, consider the advice of Dr. Stephen Zawistowski, the ASPCA's executive VP of national programs and a certified applied animal behaviorist.

"If you want a dog that is easy to train and that you can teach 165 commands, you know which types are most appropriate," he says. "But the average person does better with a dumb dog. They're not as much of a challenge. You can take them for a walk in the morning and when you get home from work."

He notes that a highly intelligent dog like a German shepherd, which is trained to work closely with a human on a daily basis, would be bored silly being home alone all day. "That's when you see them chewing up stuff all over the house," he says.

Want to enhance your doggie's IQ? "Make sure the mother has a good diet when she is pregnant, and make sure your dog has a good diet," advises Zawistowski. "And good socialization is important. A dog that appears dumb may just not have learned the socialization skills yet."

Dog trainer Joel Silverman says successful dog training hinges on the owner bonding with the dog first.

"First you have to establish trust," says Silverman, author of "What Color is Your Dog?" and the host of the TV show, "Animal Planet Good Dog U." "You have to develop a great relationship and become their friend. That is key, yet so many dogs are left in humane societies because they weren't trained, or their owners started trying to train before developing a relationship with the dog."

Which dogs aren't such smarties? Russian wolfhounds, Afghan hounds, and greyhounds, Silverman says. "They are sweet but they just aren't that trainable," he admits.

Still, it's never too late to train your dog, Silverman says. "Remember, you can always teach an old dog new tricks," he explains. "So take the time and rejuvenate your relationship with your dog."

This article says ~2 year old, but for some breeds, it can be as high as a six year old.

jtstellar
07-05-2013, 02:20 PM
so long as some people here aren't pro abortion and at the same time sympathetic to ideas of legislating animal rights, encountered right here on rpf in the past and i suspect many still lurk amongst all the recent abortion debates

Anti Federalist
07-05-2013, 02:44 PM
I've seen far too many of these threads concerning dogs. As much as I love dogs, it seems we should be far more concerned with the billion other matters that concern everything I've heard you protest time and again. But dogs seems to be on the agenda every day I visit this forum. It's not at the top of my list of concerns.

Well, fine, don't click on the thread.

But you do realize that this, bottom line, has very little to do with dogs, specifically, don't you?

muh_roads
07-05-2013, 03:01 PM
This makes me so fucking angry. A guy who is only guilty of video recording should have been temporarily set free to put his dog back in the car.

How fucking needless.

chudrockz
07-05-2013, 07:24 PM

You are right. I actually like dogs alot better than children.

DamianTV
07-05-2013, 07:56 PM

But you do realize that this, bottom line, has very little to do with dogs, specifically, don't you?

+Rep

They do the same thing to HUMANS. Want proof?

http://funny-pics-fun.com/wp-content/uploads/Demotivational-Posters-Police-13.jpg

BTW, you arent supposed to have the Right to resist an UNLAWFUL arrest. Crime? Resisting arrest, probably. How long until ANY one of us ends up being that lady on the ground with the inside out turned Kneecap? Not long I fear until this DOES happen to every single one of us.

Now dont you just FEEL that much SAFER with all these cops protecting the shit out of us?

(edit: post makes more sense when viewing the context of replies)

SeanTX
07-05-2013, 09:14 PM

I don't know why people can't get that -- it isn't about the dogs themselves (though that part sucks too) -- it's about their owners rights being violated, and them having to live with the pain of losing their animal companions on top of that.

The problem is that too many people just don't have empathy for other peoples' problems that don't affect them directly -- it's so easy to say "it's just a dog" an blow it off.

cindy25
07-05-2013, 09:22 PM
http://www.christianpost.com/news/death-threats-force-removal-of-calif-police-officers-who-shot-dog-99481/

maybe people are finally waking up. now what is needed is a nice big lawsuit where the criminal loses his house and pension. jail would be nice too.

cindy25
07-05-2013, 09:22 PM
http://www.christianpost.com/news/death-threats-force-removal-of-calif-police-officers-who-shot-dog-99481/

maybe people are finally waking up. now what is needed is a nice big lawsuit where the criminal loses his house and pension. jail would be nice too.

Anti Federalist
07-05-2013, 10:03 PM
I don't know why people can't get that -- it isn't about the dogs themselves (though that part sucks too) -- it's about their owners rights being violated, and them having to live with the pain of losing their animal companions on top of that.

The problem is that too many people just don't have empathy for other peoples' problems that don't affect them directly -- it's so easy to say "it's just a dog" an blow it off.

Because they are still carrying some sort of nationalist baggage I suspect:

"Those brave boys, keeping us all safe, blah blah blah..."

chudrockz
07-06-2013, 06:45 AM

Eventually the police in sometown USA will do something that may piss people off so much that a large crowd decides "enough already" and runs the entire lot the hell out of town. Maybe MY town.

I can dream, can't I?

Itdoesntmatter
07-06-2013, 07:13 AM
I hate seeing a dog get killed for any reason, but I think everyone is looking past the actions of Leon.. He was clearly pushing the cops buttons by getting closer and closer, also yelling out that there is no black or Mexican cops in the Hawthorne PD.. In the video you can see the cop try to grab for the leash to see if it was friendly. The pd has a different angle video so where you can see how mean and aggressive he got. People say, why didn't he use his taser on him. Well, Hawthorne pd policy is they are not allowed to use there taser in anything not human. I think people need to actually really watch the video and the actions of Leon before they jump all down the cops throat..

presence
07-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Anon is DDOS'ing police website

http://laist.com/2013/07/05/anonymous_targets_hawthorne_police.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR2CX9xLrZ8&feature=player_embedded

Matthew5
07-06-2013, 10:47 AM
I hate seeing a dog get killed for any reason, but I think everyone is looking past the actions of Leon.. He was clearly pushing the cops buttons by getting closer and closer, also yelling out that there is no black or Mexican cops in the Hawthorne PD.. In the video you can see the cop try to grab for the leash to see if it was friendly. The pd has a different angle video so where you can see how mean and aggressive he got. People say, why didn't he use his taser on him. Well, Hawthorne pd policy is they are not allowed to use there taser in anything not human. I think people need to actually really watch the video and the actions of Leon before they jump all down the cops throat..

Does the Hawthorne PD public relations office pay well?

SeanTX
07-06-2013, 11:47 AM

The cops could have executed the dog's owner too and you'd still have people defending it and rationalizing it -- even on this forum.

Too many older conservatives/libertarians/right wingers are still hung up on the old "cops are the good guys" way of thinking. Though it seems like more and more of the younger generation are waking up to reality -- so there's some hope for the future.

jclay2
07-06-2013, 12:19 PM

What an interesting first post for this site. Yeah. I was the first to negative Rep!

Czolgosz
07-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Anon is DDOS'ing police website

http://laist.com/2013/07/05/anonymous_targets_hawthorne_police.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR2CX9xLrZ8&feature=player_embedded

HPD is now shitting its pants.

presence
07-06-2013, 01:07 PM
HPD is now shitting its pants.

Three police officers involved in the fatal shooting of a Rottweiler called Max in Southern California on Sunday,

have been removed from street duty due to

death threats

against them and their families.

Police of Hawthorne, you must know that you are our primary target. This matter will not remain unresolved.
[]

computer forensics officers and city information technology specialists in Hawthorne responded on July 4 to the threats from Anonymous and confirmed a cyber-attack that has crippled the city's website since Monday.

"We are not sure who is responsible, but there was a DDOS, or distributed denial of service, attack," a police source said on the condition of anonymity. "The city website has been down since Monday. The city is working with the Web host to get the site back up."

devil21
07-06-2013, 02:46 PM

So, in other words, he was guilty of "contempt of cop". Got it.

Itdoesntmatter
07-06-2013, 02:52 PM

I don't know don't work for the Hawthorne PD...

Itdoesntmatter
07-06-2013, 03:07 PM
I never said I think the shooting was right, I do think the situation could of been prevented... I feel majority of the blame lies on Leon. I have heard from people that have been around him and say what a piece of work he is.. I don't think all cops are good cops, I know Hawthorne is labeled for having a corrupt department but that doesnt mean this cop is a bad cop..

phill4paul
10-09-2013, 11:09 PM
ARRRRRR...GRRRRRRR....ARRRRRRR...YIPYIPYIP!

http://www.mysouthwestga.com/uploadedImages/wfxl/News/Stories/Patches%20the%20Dog%2010913.jpg?w=440&h=330&aspect=nostretch

http://becausemerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/pew-pew-pew.jpg

http://www.valorforblue.org/Layout/Valor/Images/Rotator/partners.jpg

http://www.mysouthwestga.com/news/st...9#.UlYeZNK-rzs

phill4paul
10-09-2013, 11:13 PM
EAST ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)– For a young, black-and-white pit bull mix, just the right person came driving by at just the right time Wednesday afternoon.
Otherwise, the dog some assumed to be dead might actually be dead.

The trouble began Tuesday afternoon when police were called to the 900 block of East Broadway in East St. Louis after the dog bit an eight-year-old boy, who witnesses claim had been throwing rocks at him.

‘The dog came across the street and the next thing you heard was pop, pop, pop,’ said Cynthia Wilson, who witnessed the shooting and claims the shots were fired by an East St. Louis police officer.

The dog was apparently left for dead.

“It`s really sad because they didn`t have to shoot the dog,” said witness Paula Hamilton. “They could have just called the dog catcher.”

(Lolol. The government didn't do as it should. Another department of the government should have taken the lead. These people kill me. And dogs.)

Luckily, the executive director of Gateway Pet Guardians, which feeds stray dogs in East St. Louis, was driving through the area Wednesday afternoon, and just happened to see the struggling dog in a field almost 24 hours after being shot.
With the help of her husband who had been in the truck with her, they patiently and gently rescued the dog and rushed him to Hillside Animal Hospital in St. Louis.

Neighbors watching the rescue became so angry, police were called to calm the crowd.

Fox 2 News overheard an officer wearing a hat reading ‘Asst. Chief’ on the phone shouting at someone about the incident.

(Wait for it....)“We should have down something proper. How do we shoot a dog and leave a damn dog in a field?” the officer asked. “And you wonder why these people say the (expletive) they say about us.” (money shot.)

X-rays of the dog, who the rescuers named Colt, as in the gun maker, reveal he was hit by two shots; one in the shoulder, and one in the head, though it appears the bullet did not penetrate the skull into his brain.

“He was fighting us to get in the car so he has got some oomph left in him,” said Jaime Case, Executive Director of Gateway Pet Guardians. “I am hopeful all those things mean he is on his way to recovery.”

The director of St. Clair County Animal Control, Jim Jacquot, says the grandmother of the boy who was bitten told investigators she thought the dog was dead but wasn`t sure where to find its body. That left doctors little choice but to begin rabies treatments on the child.
Now that the dog has been found alive, the dog can be quarantined for several days to determine if it is rabid. If the dog does not survive the shooting, brain tissue tests can quickly reveal the rabies status of the dog. If the dog is found not to be rabid, the boy may not have to complete the rest of the five shot treatment.

The dog had been microchipped, so investigators know the name of its owner, who is from Belleville.

If the dog survives, and is healthy, authorities will determine whether he is vicious. If so, he may be euthanized. If not, he could be returned to the owner, or put up for adoption.

(I'm sorry dog. It seems you are well fooked. I give you one in ten odds of seeing next week.)

http://fox2now.com/2013/10/09/dog-left-for-dead-after-allegedly-shot-by-police/