PDA

View Full Version : Is Rand trying to tell us something? [Virginia IS the battleground email]

eleganz
07-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Rand is making a crucial endorsement in the Virginia gubernatorial race and is telling us Virginia is the battleground. Could his team be possibly alluding to a 2016 battleground state? With an endorsement win, he could get the favor in return for his presidential run in a state where the difference between D and R in the 2012 race was only 3%.

How does Ken Cuccinelli look right now?

It’s one thing to talk about taking on the IRS.

It’s another thing entirely to actually do it – and score a victory for taxpayers in the process.

Ken Cuccinelli, Virginia Attorney General and Republican nominee for Virginia governor, did just that recently.

I know you may not live in Virginia, but their gubernatorial race matters to all of us. Here’s why:

Ken Cuccinelli is the kind of unique elected official who both understands our founding document and is willing to fight for it.

And he’s proven so time and again.

He was also the first state Attorney General in America to file a lawsuit challenging Obamacare on constitutional grounds.

Most recently, Ken stood up to the IRS, to federal overreach and to bureaucrats run amok. The result was the federal government handed tens of millions of dollars back to Virginia.

Like you and me, Ken Cuccinelli is a principled, liberty minded constitutional conservative.

If elected Governor, he’ll take on the hard fights over and over again – because it's the right thing to do.

That's why I'm taking such a strong interest in this election in Virginia.

Let’s face it. constitutional conservatives are outnumbered in D.C.

I’m fighting as hard as I can, but we need more strong advocates for limited, constitutional government at the state level who are willing to stand up and say “NO!” to federal power grabs and overspending.

That’s exactly what Ken Cuccinelli will do if elected governor.

A Ken Cuccinelli victory would be a victory for the entire conservative movement.

It's why I'm supporting Ken, and it's why I'm asking you to help him today.

Virginia is the only competitive governor’s race in the country right now.

Liberal Washington, D.C. insiders think principled candidates like Ken Cuccinelli can't win and are pouring dollars into President Bill Clinton’s former Democratic National Committee Chairman, Terry McAuliffe’s campaign.

Virginia is THE battleground this year.

randomname
07-01-2013, 02:42 PM
nice

fisharmor
07-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Battles in Virginia have a mixed history of long-term results.

Mr.NoSmile
07-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Cuccinelli could go either way. Biden appeared with McAuliffe this weekend and essentially said the GOP had been co-opted by the Tea Party. Not exactly the best label when the Tea Party is still viewed by some as far right without knowing much about it. Running mates and Cuccinelli's take on women's issues don't exactly help him, either. I have to wonder, though: Virginia went blue in both 2008 and 2012. Coupled with Democrats claiming that Cuccinelli is too extreme for Virginia, I have to wonder if he's got a good shot, given how the state went blue.

Bastiat's The Law
07-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Terry McAuliffe is a joke.

ladyjade3
07-01-2013, 04:26 PM
But but but... Cuccinelli is fighting to keep VA's anti-sodomy law on the books in spite the state supreme court over-ruling it. To me, there is no liberty defense of an anti-sodomy law, and anyone who would go to battle for one is so far outside of the liberty mindset...

This issue really bothers me. It's not about how many candidates "we" can get elected. It's advancing liberty and to the extent that it can't truly be advanced in this race or that we stand down.

Someone please explain to me how so many liberty folks can back this guy. I must misunderstand something in a huge way here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/ken-cuccinelli-sodomy-supreme-court_n_3498444.html

ladyjade3
07-01-2013, 04:27 PM
And the defense that he wants to only selectively enforce the law is beyond the pale...

AuH20
07-01-2013, 04:47 PM
But but but... Cuccinelli is fighting to keep VA's anti-sodomy law on the books in spite the state supreme court over-ruling it. To me, there is no liberty defense of an anti-sodomy law, and anyone who would go to battle for one is so far outside of the liberty mindset...

This issue really bothers me. It's not about how many candidates "we" can get elected. It's advancing liberty and to the extent that it can't truly be advanced in this race or that we stand down.

Someone please explain to me how so many liberty folks can back this guy. I must misunderstand something in a huge way here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/ken-cuccinelli-sodomy-supreme-court_n_3498444.html

Please don't tell me you're of those one issue voters? Ugh. I hate acting judgmental but I'm getting sick of one issue voters when its' DEFCON 2.

FrankRep
07-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Please don't tell me you're of those one issue voters? Ugh.

Hahaha.. So horrible.

AuH20
07-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Hahaha.. So horrible.

I'd vote for Thomas Jefferson if he openly advocated for gay sex at every street corner. None of this nonsense is important.

ladyjade3
07-01-2013, 05:00 PM
You don't think you gotta question the liberty bona fides of someone who can think and act this way in office? Really?

AuH20
07-01-2013, 05:05 PM
You don't think you gotta question the liberty bona fides of someone who can think and act this way in office? Really?

We are all well-versed in his policy positions and most line up in the constitutional direction. He's been championed by Rand Paul as well for being an independent Mark Sanford-like governor if elected. I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater over an undefined sodomy law.

ladyjade3
07-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Yeah Sanford's such a gem too. Thanks for bringing him up.

Oh God I'm so depressed.

So this is what passes for a liberty candidate these days... *grabs another drink*

AuH20
07-01-2013, 05:19 PM

Oh God I'm so depressed.

So this is what passes for a liberty candidate these days... *grabs another drink*

Sanford refused to accept federal stimulus funds before his Appalachian Trail disaster. And I theorize he was going to combat the Obamacare exchange as well as opposed to the spineless Nikki Haley. He was a governor opposed to this federalist overreach.

juleswin
07-01-2013, 05:36 PM

I agree with you on this especially since it speaks to a fundamentally misunderstanding of human freedom. Whatever liberty positives this guy has could be torpedoed by an inconsequential anti freedom policy. Which will in turn tar the reputation of those unfortunate enough to endorse him before the people rebuked him in favor of a useless establishment pol just because they stayed away from truly fringy policy like the one above.

Why is it that these liberty candidates cannot just focus on the big picture. Nobody who cares for the **** sexual agenda will cast their votes for the democrat just because the liberty candidate did not talk enough about anti ****. I still support him in a way because I believe he is a small step in the right direction but he is really tarnishing his brand by going along with this

ladyjade3
07-01-2013, 05:44 PM
This:
.. it speaks to a fundamentally misunderstanding of human freedom.

What's this all for? What the hell have I been working for for the last 5+ years? Just... what the hell?

thoughtomator
07-01-2013, 05:59 PM
McAuliffe will wreck Dem chances in this election. He's just such an immense stinker that nobody is going to be able to ignore it.

Thor
07-01-2013, 06:00 PM
This:

.. it speaks to a fundamentally misunderstanding of human freedom.

What's this all for? What the hell have I been working for for the last 5+ years? Just... what the hell?

He's comin' around, I'm tellin' ya! A quasi, kinda, Liberty learnin' person, like Glenn Beck.

AuH20
07-01-2013, 06:07 PM
I agree with you on this especially since it speaks to a fundamentally misunderstanding of human freedom. Whatever liberty positives this guy has could be torpedoed by an inconsequential anti freedom policy. Which will in turn tar the reputation of those unfortunate enough to endorse him before the people rebuked him in favor of a useless establishment pol just because they stayed away from truly fringy policy like the one above.

Why is it that these liberty candidates cannot just focus on the big picture. Nobody who cares for the **** sexual agenda will cast their votes for the democrat just because the liberty candidate did not talk enough about anti ****. I still support him in a way because I believe he is a small step in the right direction but he is really tarnishing his brand by going along with this

I look at a potential candidacy by categories. I'm not looking for Murray Rothbard or Liberty Jesus. If you're constitutionally minded in 8 or 9 categories out of 10 I'm going to support you.

I'm reminded of the always great response to Ron's 2012 candidacy by poseurs who said "I really like Ron Paul but his foreign policy." It's mind numbing hearing this junk. The same narrow mindedness is playing out with Cuccinelli, oddly enough on the puritarian side. Cuccinelli sucks, so go get a shovel and dig up Murray's corpse. What can Rand Paul or I tell the microvoters????? We don't want anyone voting against their conscience obviously.

FSP-Rebel
07-01-2013, 07:52 PM
I look at a potential candidacy by categories. I'm not looking for Murray Rothbard or Liberty Jesus. If you're constitutionally minded in 8 or 9 categories out of 10 I'm going to support you.

I'm reminded of the always great response to Ron's 2012 candidacy by poseurs who said "I really like Ron Paul but his foreign policy." It's mind numbing hearing this junk. The same narrow mindedness is playing out with Cuccinelli, oddly enough on the puritarian side. Cuccinelli sucks, so go get a shovel and dig up Murray's corpse. What can Rand Paul or I tell the microvoters????? We don't want anyone voting against their conscience obviously.
Frankly speaking, yep. Ron constantly worked with people based upon the issues at hand and none of us dumped on him for that, nor should have we. I agree that sodomy shouldn't be an issue but I'm willing to bet that many Christian conservatives know nothing beyond the missionary position and are too prude to engage in head-pieces and the dirt roads, sorry for having to bring that up. But, despite this sideshow issue Cooch really is a top dog on the meat and potatoes issues that are important for the survival and revival of this country and I applaud Rand for backing him regardless if there's some future politicking involved. I'll be sending the guy something once the Broun moneybomb goes off.

helenpaul
07-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Im in virginia. normally the party opposite the presidents party wins the governors race, so you would think ken would win. however, e.w. jackson was a joke getting the lt gov nomination. could sink the ticket. i hope the paul endorsement helps.

Okaloosa
07-01-2013, 08:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftoeIqOf9Yc

Okaloosa
07-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Cuccinelli, who's running for governor, told a group of students at the University of Virginia this week that he supported the drug policy experimentation happening in Colorado and Washington:

"I’m not sure about Virginia’s future [in terms of marijuana legalization]," the newspaper quoted Cuccinelli saying. "But I and a lot of people are watching Colorado and Washington to see how it plays out."

Cuccinelli's marijuana comments surprised U.Va. political science professor Larry Sabato, whose class Cuccinelli address.

Sabato noted "Cuccinelli stressed he wouldn't be recommending changes anytime soon. But he praised states such as Colorado for experimenting with marihuana legalization, saying this was federalism in action. He said twice his views were 'evolving" on the subject."

http://reason.com/blog/2013/02/07/ken-cuccinelli-virginias-most-powerful-t

Feeding the Abscess
07-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Please don't tell me you're of those one issue voters? Ugh. I hate acting judgmental but I'm getting sick of one issue voters when its' DEFCON 2.

Google Rachel Mills

devil21
07-02-2013, 01:36 AM

Oh God I'm so depressed.

Let's be honest here. You worked for Ron Paul, ok. Your perspective is so skewed. I don't mean that as an attack! I really don't. I love how much you helped get this movement rolling. But you don't get to work with Ron motherfuckin Paul then compare every candidate to him. Purity and pragmatism have to find common ground if this movement is to succeed.

XTreat
07-02-2013, 02:13 AM
I think VA is an easy GOP win with a conservative candidate.

helenpaul
07-02-2013, 05:05 AM
I think VA is an easy GOP win with a conservative candidate.

jackson is going to drag the ticket down

XTreat
07-02-2013, 05:14 AM
jackson is going to drag the ticket down

I was talking 2016 presidential.

helenpaul
07-02-2013, 05:18 AM
I was talking 2016 presidential.

I see. Its possible but every year more and more liberals flood into northern virginia.

juleswin
07-02-2013, 06:00 AM

I usually expect my 1 objection out of 10 be something like pro life, support for Israel, pro drug war etc etc but not something like ban on sodomy. This sort of fringe policy stance hurt me as a support because one it makes it harder for you to win and it taints me as a supporter on your campaign. So yes it is 1 policy that I know off but in my opinion, it is as damaging as having a policy of say deporting all the jews.

This is falling for the Murdock mistake once again

DeMintConservative
07-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Im in virginia. normally the party opposite the presidents party wins the governors race, so you would think ken would win. however, e.w. jackson was a joke getting the lt gov nomination. could sink the ticket. i hope the paul endorsement helps.

Huh? If you're in Virginia, you know that there's not ticket. The Governor and the Lieutenant Governor are elected separately.

I usually expect my 1 objection out of 10 be something like pro life, support for Israel, pro drug war etc etc but not something like ban on sodomy. This sort of fringe policy stance hurt me as a support because one it makes it harder for you to win and it taints me as a supporter on your campaign. So yes it is 1 policy that I know off but in my opinion, it is as damaging as having a policy of say deporting all the jews.

I'm sorry, but who exactly wants to ban sodomy?

ladyjade3
07-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Let's be honest here. You worked for Ron Paul, ok. Your perspective is so skewed. I don't mean that as an attack! I really don't. I love how much you helped get this movement rolling. But you don't get to work with Ron motherfuckin Paul then compare every candidate to him. Purity and pragmatism have to find common ground if this movement is to succeed.

Yes. THIS is the defense you give. This is the best one, but what is depressing me is the "libertarian" types who are trying to explain/defend his stance on this, saying the law is important for just this one case because it was selectively applied to a creep who didn't seem to break any other laws on the books but did something Really Bad.

Really?

NO! No no no no no. You don't attempt to try to defend anti-sodomy laws, you just say this. You go with the "no one's perfect/Ron Paul" stance.

That being said - someone who is that far gone, who can spend the energy he is spending on keeping an anti-sodomy law and has said pretty awful homophobic things in the recent past... I don't think his heart can really be with us.

Look, we've shown ourselves to be a pretty powerful force. Powerful enough that people are seeing the benefit to pandering to us and trying harness our energy for their own purposes. They're learning how to sing our songs and get our hopes up. In short, they are playing politics.

They (not just him) are wooing us into bed and will break our hearts in the morning. You gotta pay attention to the writing on the wall here. We're being played and we gotta watch out for these types.

Oooohhhh he said maybe POSSIBLY if Virginia wants it someday we could THINK about ramping down the drug war. Maybe.

I'm real impressed.

fisharmor
07-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Oooohhhh he said maybe POSSIBLY if Virginia wants it someday we could THINK about ramping down the drug war. Maybe.

I'm real impressed.

I hear ya, I definitely do. I'm solidly with you in the "I've seen what politicians can be, and I won't settle for less" camp.
You also need to remember that Cooch had his federal lawsuit over Obamacare filed before Barry's ink on the bill was even dry.

I won't go so far as to say he's a total dirtbag. He never did bill himself as a liberty candidate, as far as I remember. He's more paleo IMO.
He is what he is.

I live in VA myself, and I have been getting calls weekly about volunteering for his campaign.
I'm not going to volunteer for a mixed message.

I am going to end up voting for him, though.

FriedChicken
07-03-2013, 04:37 AM

What does this issue have to do with Mourdock? I can't make much sense out of your comment and I've read it more than once. You really think sodomy is going to be a big deal to voters?

FriedChicken
07-03-2013, 04:49 AM
I hear ya, I definitely do. I'm solidly with you in the "I've seen what politicians can be, and I won't settle for less" camp.
You also need to remember that Cooch had his federal lawsuit over Obamacare filed before Barry's ink on the bill was even dry.

I won't go so far as to say he's a total dirtbag. He never did bill himself as a liberty candidate, as far as I remember. He's more paleo IMO.
He is what he is.

I live in VA myself, and I have been getting calls weekly about volunteering for his campaign.
I'm not going to volunteer for a mixed message.

I am going to end up voting for him, though.

I tried reasoning with ladyjade3 once ...
She's not as pure as she makes like she is either. She earned the first spot on my ignore list by advocating in a trolling manner that a friend of mine belongs in prison, on whatever charges it takes to put her there, for assisting with home births. False charges, whatever, just get her in prison.

Cracks me up a little bit seeing her try to play like she is the purest form of liberty yet wants to see people who do things she disagrees with imprisoned on false charges, if need be, in other threads on the same forum.

(for clarification: even though she is on my ignore list I still see what says every time someone quotes her. I forgot I ignored her - I haven't noticed her on these forums since the thread I mentioned earlier. I never noticed her before that thread either actually.)

helenpaul
07-03-2013, 05:43 AM
Huh? If you're in Virginia, you know that there's not ticket. The Governor and the Lieutenant Governor are elected separately.

I'm sorry, but who exactly wants to ban sodomy?

they are elected separately but its still bad for the ticket.

ladyjade3
07-03-2013, 06:37 AM
I attempted a homebirth and my first born child nearly died. Yeah, so homebirth and women who trick others to risk their lives and those of their children in this way might be a bit of a blind spot.

That being said, yes, there is fraud and misrepresentation and LYING involved with a lot of homebirth midwives. We don't advocate fraud. If I know the situation, that particular midwife assisted in multiple preventable dead babies in high risk situations which midwives are not supposed to accept as clients and assure them everything will be fine. But I would not advocate false charges, just a fair trial.

Whatever dude.

Warlord
07-03-2013, 10:26 PM
ladyjade, Ken as an AG is trying to convict a sex offender with a felony as opposed to misdemeanour and dismisses these complaints as he's trying to use the laws that are on the books to do it. The liberals are lying it's not an anti-gay thing or anything trust me I've heard him asked about this on a radio station in DC and he gave a good answer as to what he's doing. Try asking his press secretary, surely you know what's going on here!

Remember there are two sides to every story and the liberal Huffpo is not telling you the full story.

Christian Liberty
07-03-2013, 10:39 PM

Honestly, homosexuality is just another issue, and constitutionally states can ban it under the 10th amendment. Lawrence VS Texas got it wrong IMO. I don't want homosexuality regulated at any level of government, but I wouldn't necessarily discount someone on that one issue unless they were proposing to put cameras in everyone's houses or something in order to enforce the law.

Christian Liberty
07-03-2013, 10:41 PM
I don't honestly see why a ban on homosexuality, by itself, is any "worse" than a ban on drugs. Although of course both are bad.

FriedChicken
07-04-2013, 08:32 AM
I don't honestly see why a ban on homosexuality, by itself, is any "worse" than a ban on drugs. Although of course both are bad.

From what I understand he doesn't want to ban homosexual activity.
I'm sure people could come up with millions of reasons why one ban is worse than the other ... I hope this thread doesn't go off the rails THAT far though. lol.