PDA

View Full Version : Turn Your Back This Fourth of July

donnay
06-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Turn Your Back This Fourth of July

Eric Peters

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/4th-lead-300x215.jpg

In a few days, we will all have an opportunity to peacefully inflict a major psychological blow on the rapidly coalescing police state by the simple but powerful act of refusing to play along with the absurd pantomime on the 4th of July that we live in an even nominally free country – one with the rule of law, an operative Constitution and respect for individual rights. One that isn’t a thugocracy.

We can turn our backs on the flag. Decline to participate when urged to cheer and sing. No fireworks. No barbeques.

We can sit down – and bow our heads.

We can mention the unmentionable: That there is no longer any meaningful limit to the power of the government over our lives. No line beyond which it may not tread. That it lies, spies and tyrannizes.

We can admit to ourselves the shoddy – and frightening – reality bubbling up all around us.

By so doing, we can shatter the illusion that this government operates with anything remotely approximating our consent. This is absolutely essential. The 4th of July pantomime requires that we deny the obvious – that we instead pretend we’re free people living in a free country; one in which the government Is accountable to the people, one in which the government is limited by law. One in which people can’t simply be dragooned into prisons without due process, held incommunicado, tortured. A country with a president who doesn’t have kill lists – or use the instruments of state power to punish and intimidate his political opponents. One in which citizens must be suspected of a crime before their personal correspondence is filched through and recorded for later use against them. One in which a traveler is free from arbitrary and random searches of his person and effects. back turned One in which the attorney general of the United States isn’t able to get away with providing guns to gangs or brazenly lie about his use of the power of his office to go after political “enemies” rather than pursue justice.

All these things are everyday realities. And the reality is that the America we once celebrated on the Fourth of July is gone, replaced by something dark and ominous.

It is painfully obvious – so why pretend otherwise?

More to the point, why should we celebrate this ugly transformation?

Mourning is what’s called for.

If we decline to play along – and we still have this option, for the moment – we can shatter the idea that all of the foregoing loathsomeness is done with our approval. We can redefine the relationship between ourselves and the government in an honest way. No more pretending we’re free. No more pretending we’re protected by the rule of law – and not ruled over by a thug caste – a mafia – that does literally whatever it wants, to anyone, at any time – without any real consequences whatsoever. None of this requires elaboration. Everyone knows it to be true. The Constitution is no longer even payed lip service to. It is a sick joke.

We are in the position of a battered spouse who is expected to rouge her bruises and tell her friends that – whoops! – she fell down the stairs. But hubby is a swell guy.

I say, to hell with that.

I say, let’s not give them the cover they still apparently crave. I say, let’s out them – by openly displaying our bruises and no longer denying how we got them. Let the world see the true nature of the relationship between us and those who rule us.

China had its Tiananmen Moment – when one brave man stood up to a column of tanks and changed history by the simple act of refusing to play along. By peacefully forcing the thugocracy’s hand. It faced a hard choice: Either it could either run that man down in full view of live TV, crush him under the treads of a T-72 and thereby give real-life and incontrovertible evidence of the true nature of the relationship of the Chinese government vis-a-vis the average Chinese. Or it could back down – and thereby be compelled to alter the relationship in a way at least somewhat more favorable to the average Chinese.

We have a similar opportunity coming up. A chance to confront the police state by refusing to pretend it’s not a police state. By coming to grips with what it is.

And what it is is nothing to celebrate.

I urge you to join me this July 4th in turning your back on the flag – on all grotesque homilies to a country that no longer exists, because of the government which does exist – and which desperately wants us to keep on playing patty cake and pretending that it doesn’t.

Throw it in the Woods?

Source:
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/turn-your-back-this-fourth-of-july_062013#sthash.7FGpbxgH.dpuf

ghengis86
06-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Nailed it

Antischism
06-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Sounds like every 4th of July I've had as far as I can remember. I approve.

CaseyJones
06-30-2013, 08:51 PM
or
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?419806-Restore-The-Fourth-Protests-and-Rallys-on-the-4th-Of-July!!

georgiaboy
06-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Meh, sorry, but July 4th was more or less when the DoI was signed. It's actually my favorite political day of the year because of this, and one I'll continue to honor in it's true spirit. I'll wave my flag and give my yearly reading of that fine letter. Seems to get better, more relevant, and more poignant every year I read it aloud to all those within earshot.

This day reminds me that even under military occupied tyranny, a band of patriots can rise up and throw off the chains on behalf of the greatest of ideals.

Don't let them take that away from us. This is our day to let the voice of liberty be heard loud and proud.

Anti Federalist
06-30-2013, 08:59 PM
We are in the position of a battered spouse who is expected to rouge her bruises and tell her friends that – whoops! – she fell down the stairs. But hubby is a swell guy.

I say, to hell with that.

I say, let’s not give them the cover they still apparently crave. I say, let’s out them – by openly displaying our bruises and no longer denying how we got them. Let the world see the true nature of the relationship between us and those who rule us.

Throw "hubby" in the fucking woods.

Thanks for posting!

Love me some Eric Peters' articles.

Him and Will Grigg.

TaftFan
06-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Bought some fireworks today.

ghengis86
06-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Meh, sorry, but July 4th was more or less when the DoI was signed. It's actually my favorite political day of the year because of this, and one I'll continue to honor in it's true spirit. I'll wave my flag and give my yearly reading of that fine letter. Seems to get better, more relevant, and more poignant every year I read it aloud to all those within earshot.

This day reminds me that even under military occupied tyranny, a band of patriots can rise up and throw off the chains on behalf of the greatest of ideals.

Don't let them take that away from us. This is our day to let the voice of liberty be heard loud and proud.

You should post this to EP's blog in the comments section. Good counterpoint

phill4paul
06-30-2013, 09:05 PM
I don't like so much this "throwing in the woods." Might be my last refuge and I don't want it in there with me. :D But I get his point.

Anti Federalist
06-30-2013, 09:09 PM
I'll wave my flag and give my yearly reading of that fine letter. Seems to get better, more relevant, and more poignant every year I read it aloud to all those within earshot.

Looked at from that angle though, I can agree.

If I find myself in a postion for "pledging" or "saluting" or "anthem singing", hell yes:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government...

...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

Such has been the patient sufferance of these states; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present federal government is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world...

(Fill in your atrocities here)

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury.

A government, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a tyranny, is unfit to govern a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our fellow citizens. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity.

We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Anti Federalist
06-30-2013, 09:12 PM
You should post this to EP's blog in the comments section. Good counterpoint

You should.

It's open comments.

I think he would agree.

http://ericpetersautos.com/2013/06/27/turn-your-back-this-fourth-of-july/

green73
06-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Fuck this shit. Per usual, I putting on my stars and stripes swimsuit, drinking lots of bud, and farting in the pool all day.

Anti Federalist
06-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Uncelebrating the Fourth

http://www.harrybrowne.org/articles/JulyFourth.htm

by Harry Browne

July 4, 2003

Unfortunately, July 4th has become a day of deceit.

On July 4, 1776, the Continental Congress formally declared its independence from Great Britain. Thirteen years later, after a difficult war to secure that independence, the new country was open for business.

It was truly unique — the first nation in all of history in which the individual was considered more important than the government, and the government was tied down by a written Constitution.

It was the one nation where you could live your life secure in the knowledge that no one would ask for your papers, where you weren't identified by a number, and where the government wouldn't extort a percentage of your income as the price of holding a job.

And so each year July 4th has been a commemoration of the freest country in history.

False Celebration

But the America that's celebrated no longer exists.

The holiday oratory deceitfully describes America as though it were the unique land of liberty that once was. Politicians thank the Almighty for conferring the blessings of liberty on a country that no longer enjoys those blessings. The original freedom and security have disappeared — even though the oratory lingers on.

What made America unique is now gone, and we are much the same as Germany, France, England, or Spain, with:

confiscatory taxes,

a Constitution and Bill of Rights that are symbolic only — merely documents used to justify governmental actions that are in fact prohibited by those documents,

business regulated by the state in the most minute detail,

no limits on what Congress or the President might decide to do.

Yes, there are some freedoms left, but nothing like the America that was — and nothing that you can't find in a few dozen other countries.

The Empire

Gone, too, is the sense of peace and security that once reigned throughout the land. America — bound by two huge oceans and two friendly neighbors — was subject to none of the never-ending wars and destruction that plagued Europe and Asia.

Now, however, everyone's business is America's business. Our Presidents consider themselves the rulers of the world — deciding who may govern any country on earth and sending Americans to die enforcing those decisions.

Whereas America was once an inspiration to the entire world — its very existence was proof that peace and liberty really were possible — Americans now live in fear of the rest of the world and the rest of the world lives in fear of America.

The Future

Because the education of our children was turned over to government in the 19th century, generations of Americans have been taught that freedom means taxes, regulations, civic duty, and responsibility for the whole world. They have no conception of the better life that could exist in a society in which government doesn't manage health care, education, welfare, and business — and in which individuals are free to plot their own destinies.

Human beings are born with the desire to make their own decisions and control their own lives. But in most countries government and social pressures work to teach people to expect very little autonomy.

Fortunately, in America a remnant has kept alive the ideas of liberty, peace, and self-respect — passing the concepts on from generation to generation. And so today millions of Americans know that the present system isn't the right system — that human beings aren't born to serve the state and police the world.

Millions more would be receptive upon being shown that it's possible to have better lives than what they're living now.

Both groups need encouragement to quit supporting those who are taking freedom away from them.

You and I may not have the money and influence to change America by ourselves, but we can keep spreading the word — describing a better society in which individuals are truly free and government is in chains (instead of the opposite).

And someday we may reach the people who do have the money and influence to persuade tens of millions of Americans to change our country for the better.

I don't know that it's going to happen, but I do know it's possible. I know that the urge to live one's own life is as basic in human beings as the will to live and the desire to procreate. If we keep plugging away, we may eventually tap into that urge and rally the forces necessary to restore the real America.

And then the 4th of July will be worth celebrating again.

Anti Federalist
06-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Fuck this shit. Per usual, I putting on my stars and stripes swimsuit, drinking lots of bud, and farting in the pool all day.

I demand pictures.

green73
06-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Bunch of un-Muricans here I reckon.

green73
06-30-2013, 09:25 PM
I demand pictures.

Last year

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zOuH9BT1TSc/TLRI7YoUfxI/AAAAAAAAGkQ/AFfAzfbOxFI/s1600/17-american-flag-speedo-0710-lg-8636817.jpg

jclay2
06-30-2013, 09:37 PM
The only difference between 1776 and today is that 99% of the United States is suffering from mass Stockholm syndrome. People today celebrate and demand tyranny. They worship the state and will always give up liberty for "security". I think the more appropriate connection to modern times would be the remnant of Petra or perhaps the wandering in the wilderness until the corrupt generations all died off.

heavenlyboy34
06-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Uncelebrating the Fourth

http://www.harrybrowne.org/articles/JulyFourth.htm

by Harry Browne

July 4, 2003

Unfortunately, July 4th has become a day of deceit.
R.I.P., Harry. :(

heavenlyboy34
06-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Bunch of un-Muricans here I reckon.
I'm very un 'Murican. I get reported every day, and the file They have on me probably fills up at least one cabinet drawer.

Origanalist
06-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Last year

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zOuH9BT1TSc/TLRI7YoUfxI/AAAAAAAAGkQ/AFfAzfbOxFI/s1600/17-american-flag-speedo-0710-lg-8636817.jpg

I can almost smell the farts.

Origanalist
06-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Great post donnay, it goes right along with how I feel.

donnay
07-01-2013, 05:58 AM
Great post donnay, it goes right along with how I feel.

It's how I feel too. For the last couple of 4th's I have declined to go to the festivities and have been called a party pooper by family members. I tell them why would I support and celebrate something that has no meaning anymore? The reply I get is I should do it for the kids--tradition. :rolleyes: It should be renamed Stockholm Syndrome Day.

Occam's Banana
07-01-2013, 06:29 AM
My eyes! My eyes! You BASTARD!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY EYES!!!

Last year

WM_in_MO
07-01-2013, 07:04 AM
I will be wearing a black shirt this 4th, and a hat if I can find one at a decent price.

limequat
07-01-2013, 07:12 AM
However you celebrate or don't, be aware that those around you may confuse anti-government behavior for anti-American behavior.

KEEF
07-01-2013, 07:19 AM
I will be wearing a black shirt this 4th, and a hat if I can find one at a decent price.
How about this shirt?
http://www.uberprints.com/content/designs/temp/0/0/354/49/354049_dioWAOvRSxTHADJHVWxm_1.jpg

Elias Graves
07-01-2013, 07:22 AM
However you celebrate or don't, be aware that those around you may confuse anti-government behavior for anti-American behavior.

Just like they confuse tyranny with safety.

JK/SEA
07-01-2013, 08:21 AM
the next person that says to me..'have a good 4th' will get an earful, and i'll start with my sig quote at the bottom of this post.

Carlybee
07-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Its always too hot here to do anything anyway but I haven't celebrated since the fake war with Iraq.

CaseyJones
07-01-2013, 08:41 AM
I'll Do Nothing!!! That Will Show Em!
:rolleyes:

PaulConventionWV
07-01-2013, 08:56 AM

And of course, you must appease those people by outlining in great detail how you don't really detest America, just everything that its government and most of its people stand for. Not to be confused with eagle-worshipping, flag-toting American who actually believes in democracy and other nice things like that.

I don't hate America. I just hate the fact that every time I protest something, I have to explain to boobus why what I'm doing isn't really anti-'Murican so his tortured soul is no longer grieved by my expression of my right to free speech, among other things. I really just hope I don't offend anyone this 4th of July, because that would be bad.

PaulConventionWV
07-01-2013, 08:58 AM
:rolleyes:

That was my impression of the OP as well. The article is promoting sitting at home alone as a means of protest. To me, that's even more stupid than the people who think we live in a free country. Sorry, but it's true.

Carlybee
07-01-2013, 09:08 AM
That was my impression of the OP as well. The article is promoting sitting at home alone as a means of protest. To me, that's even more stupid than the people who think we live in a free country. Sorry, but it's true.

Yes because nothing says patriotism like getting out and waving an American flag that was made in China. If people really wanted to celebrate they would wear black armbands in memory of the Declaration of Independence. The one that declared us free of tyranny. While our tax dollars pay for a multi million dollar fireworks display on the lawn of the tyrants.

cjm
07-01-2013, 09:09 AM

This is the difference between celebrating the 4th of July and celebrating Independence Day, if you catch my drift. I also celebrate Independence Day.

PaulConventionWV
07-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Yes because nothing says patriotism like getting out and waving an American flag that was made in China. If people really wanted to celebrate they would wear black armbands in memory of the Declaration of Independence. The one that declared us free of tyranny. While our tax dollars pay for a multi million dollar fireworks display on the lawn of the tyrants.

But seriously... sitting at home is the solution? The idea that we would be shattering any illusions by doing so is just a farce.

CaseyJones
07-01-2013, 09:17 AM

you could maybe I don't know... go to a protest?
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?419806-Restore-The-Fourth-Protests-and-Rallys-on-the-4th-Of-July!!

Matthew5
07-01-2013, 09:19 AM
May we wear cheesy 'Murican shirts ironically? I'm talking full on neo-con brand eagles and wolves aggressively protecting the American flag. :D

DamianTV
07-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Flag should be upside down. Its an old maratime thing for ships in distress, and this one is most certainly distressed.

Carlybee
07-01-2013, 10:01 AM
you could maybe I don't know... go to a protest?

Protests work so well at changing policy. Like the recent anti Monsanto protests. And the anti war protests. Its nothing but lip service. We have no power and we won't take it back by sweltering on a street corner. As long as we do not hold our representatives feet to the fire, nothing changes. I email my reps, I have been an activist as much as I can online, I have donated to the cause of liberty. When we grow the cojones to say enough and show up at the polls with a single minded purpose of booting out every single traitorous incumbent then maybe we can cause an effect on the status quo. Standing around holding up a sign and then turning around and accepting compromise on crucial issues is a washout. IMO.

CaseyJones
07-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Protests work so well at changing policy. Like the recent anti Monsanto protests. And the anti war protests. Its nothing but lip service. We have no power and we won't take it back by sweltering on a street corner. As long as we do not hold our representatives feet to the fire, nothing changes. I email my reps, I have been an activist as much as I can online, I have donated to the cause of liberty. When we grow the cojones to say enough and show up at the polls with a single minded purpose of booting out every single traitorous incumbent then maybe we can cause an effect on the status quo. Standing around holding up a sign and then turning around and accepting compromise on crucial issues is a washout. IMO.

protests like these are a way to meet local people that feel the same way you about particular issues, and begin to coordinate this process you are talking about. plus you may just educate some people who had not thought about things this way before

cjm
07-01-2013, 10:22 AM
This is the difference between celebrating the 4th of July and celebrating Independence Day, if you catch my drift. I also celebrate Independence Day.

This thread reminds me of a similar one from two years ago (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?301403-Does-the-average-American-know-why-we-celebrate-July-4th). Here are my thoughts on Independence Day vs 4th of July from that thread:

I am not celebrating. What was gained once is now all but lost.

I did go with the family and observe today.
It was a "wonderful" display of National Socialism.
:(

did not help my mood

I observed the same thing (display of National Socialism). When I heard the fireworks start, I went outside my house and began to watch. While watching, like many here, I thought about history -- both the history of the country and my own personal history. The history of the country you all already know.

When I was a child (1970s), individuals celebrated Independence Day with individual fireworks displays. Sure, there was a municipal display, but that was secondary to the hands-on fireworks in the neighborhood. Each house had a few fountains, sparklers, snakes, and flowers/jumping jacks. Some had roman candles, some had firecrackers, some even had cherry bombs or m80s. The celebrations were distributed and individual. There was a sense of community in gathering around a neighbor's display for their "big one."

Fast forward to 2011 and with the exception of a lone cherry bomb or firecracker off in the distance, there were no personal fireworks displays. When the municipal display started all subjects turned to face the centrally planned show. Celebration is too important to be left to the market I suppose. That's why fireworks are either outlawed or just hard to get in many places. What was once "Independence Day" is now merely "4th of July" -- I swear I'm the only one in my neighborhood who still calls it Independence Day.

At some point during the circus, I decided I had seen enough. I walked back into the house and just listened to the "big finale" without watching. I'm going to find some sparklers for next year.

We did have sparklers last year and we'll have them again this year. It's not much, but it's ours. Happy Independence Day!

osan
07-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Well, perhaps as the first day in a long string of the same.

I've been telling people to turn their backs for a long time. Boobus is not interested. These brands of expression only work when vast populations engage in them. Americans are not likely to partake. Why? Because they are still at the damned mall. Because they willfully disregard the fact that they are standing on a train track, foot stuck in one of the ties, and refuse to acknowledge the 125-car freight train that is bearing down on them at 70mph with no intention of applying its brakes.

But I must disagree with the author's approach. Sit home and mourn? That is effectively the same as going to the mall - the act accomplishes NOTHING.

What the world needs is to see open and massive resistance because every once in a blue moon the fever catches and we are in dire need of that fever now.

Go OUT and CELEBRATE. He happy and make joyous noises, openly armed. Let them see that sidearm on your hip, that long arm on your shoulder. Let them see the smiles and cooking and dancing and carrying on as you do so armed to the teeth. Trust me, the message will be clear.

Go to political events and do most literally what the author bids: TURN YOUR BACK. Turn it physically to whichever talking head lapdog prostitute begins to blather nonsense about freedom and the necessity of a strong "state". Throughout history the turning of one's back to a ruler was considered grounds for immediate execution. I say turn your backs to Themme at every possible opportunity. They are powerful because we do most of their work for them. What kind of damnable idiots have we become?

STOP cooperating and show your open and bitter contempt for them at every possible opportunity. Give them nothing. Make them scramble and sweat and curse and hate for ever scrap they gain. If you make the cost so high, they will eventually tire and go away or they will escalate. Either way the lines become clear and the issues are settled one way or the other. We may not win, but at least we did our best. As things stand, we hand virtually everything Theye want right into their hands on silver and golden platters, with thanks and curtseys, no less.

No, do not mourn, for to do so is to acknowledge the death of your claim to life, the rights it implies, and the liberties that follow therefrom. Make joyous noises, but not in the ways of the past, pretending all is well as the author notes. No - joyous noises that acknowledge the deplorable state of affairs but that refuse them and resist them with endless vigor and determination. Show Themme through your carefully crafted expressions of joy that you are on to the game, you refuse consent, that you are armed and that you are willing to kill ever last member of the class of men who presume to reign over you. Let Themme see the bright line in the sand your firearm delimits upon your territory and let them know you will defend it to the death - that you will butcher Themme and Theire families including Theire children without hesitation, compunction, or mercy if they do not retreat. This is a fight for life itself and that of your posterity . You choose what it will be. Better to end on one's feet than to hand your children over to Orwell's future on bended knee as you lick the Whipmaster's boots. Fie on thee if thou allowest this.

Seraphim
07-01-2013, 10:34 AM
It's Canada day here today. I'm working the Statutory Holiday and couldn't care less.

Our fighter pilots are being used to support air raids in the Middle East. Canada Day can fuck itself.

Matthew5
07-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Nothing wrong with paying homage to one of the greatest political revolutions of all time, especially one that valued freedom and the individual. Yes, yes, I know the Constitution was a mess and subsequent years have been a downward spiral. But I don't see much wrong with honoring the memory of those that put life, liberty, financial standing, and more on the line in order to attempt a better nation. Heck, I'd hoist a beer in honor of Adams, Jefferson, et al.

Maybe substitute the flag of the current empire for the symbolism of the Declaration's time period. Use it as a medium to contrast the current empire with the true meaning on Independence Day. Let friends, family, and neighbors know that the American legacy was hijacked by the empirical propagandist. Ok, maybe another term will arise after a few Shiners. :p

Carlybee
07-01-2013, 10:38 AM
protests like these are a way to meet local people that feel the same way you about particular issues, and begin to coordinate this process you are talking about. plus you may just educate some people who had not thought about things this way before

Yeah..been there done that. It was called Let's Get Ron Paul elected. You can educate people all you want..as long as the party you vote with cheats in the primaries, caucuses and conventions it doesn't really matter. The information is everywhere..in every comment on every news article, in the daily actions of government. If people can't be moved by the fact that the Constitution has been shredded, if people not only don't care that their rights have been taken away but don't even understand why its a concern, then I don't know what else can be done. As long as we keep supporting the status quo by accepting the bones they throw us nothing ever changes.

Matthew5
07-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Yeah..been there done that. It was called Let's Get Ron Paul elected. You can educate people all you want..as long as the party you vote with cheats in the primaries, caucuses and conventions it doesn't really matter. The information is everywhere..in every comment on every news article, in the daily actions of government. If people can't be moved by the fact that the Constitution has been shredded, if people not only don't care that their rights have been taken away but don't even understand why its a concern, then I don't know what else can be done. As long as we keep supporting the status quo by accepting the bones they throw us nothing ever changes.

When we grow the cojones to say enough and show up at the polls with a single minded purpose of booting out every single traitorous incumbent then maybe we can cause an effect on the status quo.

Your two statements don't seem to match up...if the parties are corrupt, what does it matter if we show up and vote?

Zippyjuan
07-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Yeah. That will make them feel bad and start being nice to people.

WM_in_MO
07-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Maybe I should clarify my earlier statement.

I'm wearing black on the 4th, Independence Day. I will however be participating in a parade on a float filled and built by the St Charles County Liberty Project (AKA St Charles County for Ron Paul). If someone asks why I'm wearing black I will simply tell them I am celebrating what freedoms I have left, and mourning those we have lost.
Black should signify that we have lost more than we have left, more to mourn than to celebrate. However one thing I will NOT do is sit in my house and mourn all day by myself.
I will be in the streets, in public.

Carlybee
07-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Your two statements don't seem to match up...if the parties are corrupt, what does it matter if we show up and vote?

Paradigm change. New party. I don't really know. The corruption I was speaking of was specifically related to the nominating process. The jury is still out on the actual election process.

Natural Citizen
07-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Double header and a legion Cookout for us. I know things are tough, folks, but these are your colors. Just going to have to ask ourselves what we can do better is all.

Anti Federalist
07-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Double header and a legion Cookout for us. I know things are tough, folks, but these are your colors. Just going to have to ask ourselves what we can do better is all.

Ain't my colors anymore.

And my family has been here and fought under those colors for over two centuries.

They mean nothing to me now, other than representing the blood red bars of a prison.

limequat
07-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Ain't my colors anymore.

And my family has been here and fought under those colors for over two centuries.

They mean nothing to me now, other than representing the blood red bars of a prison.

Maybe we should recast the 4th as Gadsden day. Run up the flag wear it, whatever. Show everybody around that we love liberty more than the US government.

Origanalist
07-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Maybe we should recast the 4th as Gadsden day. Run up the flag wear it, whatever. Show everybody around that we love liberty more than the US government.

I think you're on to something. Openly celebrate something that actually signifies "independence". The stars and stripes quit doing that a long time ago. There is NO independence from the empire..

bunklocoempire
07-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Overreaching tyrannical empire don't work. It's how it all started to begin with.

It was turning a back to the Union Jack first, now the Stars & Stripes. Nothing unpatriotic or negative about it. It's simply trying to get back to truth realized by the founders and clearly laid out in history. Real basic 'nature of man' stuff.

IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:

For protecting them, by a mock Trial from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:

For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:

For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:

For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.

He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation, and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & Perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our British brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

New Hampshire:
Josiah Bartlett, William Whipple, Matthew Thornton

Massachusetts:
John Hancock, Samuel Adams, John Adams, Robert Treat Paine, Elbridge Gerry

Rhode Island:
Stephen Hopkins, William Ellery

Connecticut:
Roger Sherman, Samuel Huntington, William Williams, Oliver Wolcott

New York:
William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Francis Lewis, Lewis Morris

New Jersey:
Richard Stockton, John Witherspoon, Francis Hopkinson, John Hart, Abraham Clark

Pennsylvania:
Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, John Morton, George Clymer, James Smith, George Taylor, James Wilson, George Ross

Delaware:
Caesar Rodney, George Read, Thomas McKean

Maryland:
Samuel Chase, William Paca, Thomas Stone, Charles Carroll of Carrollton

Virginia:
George Wythe, Richard Henry Lee, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Harrison, Thomas Nelson, Jr., Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton

North Carolina:
William Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn

South Carolina:
Edward Rutledge, Thomas Heyward, Jr., Thomas Lynch, Jr., Arthur Middleton

Georgia:
Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, George Walton

Carlybee
07-01-2013, 08:53 PM

Hard to do better with a boot at our necks

donnay
07-01-2013, 08:56 PM

My Gadsden flag flies 24/7 365 days a year.

Anti Federalist
07-01-2013, 08:56 PM
In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Government, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the Representative of a free people.

FIFY Tom...

Origanalist
07-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Yay for the home team. (rah rah)

PaulConventionWV
07-01-2013, 09:50 PM

Right, because voting and writing strongly worded letters to your reps have been sooo much more effective than protesting.

TaftFan
07-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Yeah. That will make them feel bad and start being nice to people.

Right. Nobody cares if you don't participate. Personally I like to have fun.

Everyone knows it is more about the cookouts, fireworks, and pretty colors than patriotism.

heavenlyboy34
07-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Right, because voting and writing strongly worded letters to your reps have been sooo much more effective than protesting.
Yeah! Keep on keepin on! One day those gov'ment people will pay attention! /sarc

heavenlyboy34
07-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Right. Nobody cares if you don't participate. Personally I like to have fun.

Everyone knows it is more about the cookouts, fireworks, and pretty colors than patriotism.

I always watch the fireworks show from my backyard so I don't have to endure the obnoxious State-worship, hymns to the State, gaudy costumes, etc. :cool:

Carlybee
07-01-2013, 10:40 PM

I never said it did. I just said that is what I have done in an attempt at activism. As I said further down in my post, the only thing that will be effective is booting them out. Assuming the entire process is not corrupt, the only place change can happen is at the voting booth.

TheGrinch
07-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Cool, have fun influencing no one and only drawing resentment. I for one will be using the opportunity to remind people about what we're celebrating and what we've lost, and you don't do that by treating the day like its a sham and alienating them from even listening to me.

Plus I'm proud of what those men did, so I'm not going to act like differently just because some assholes hijacked this country. The time has come to come together and take it back, not to divide by disavowing.

GregSarnowski
07-01-2013, 11:00 PM
I never said it did. I just said that is what I have done in an attempt at activism. As I said further down in my post, the only thing that will be effective is booting them out. Assuming the entire process is not corrupt, the only place change can happen is at the voting booth.

Well, there's always dropping out of the system / agorism. Become as self-sufficient as possible. Produce your own food. Get off the grid by utilizing new technology. Work under the table. For savings and commerce, use anything but FRNs/slave money...precious metals, cryptocurrencies, commodities for barter, your labor, etc..

Easier said than done sure. But it seems to be the natural trajectory over the next couple of decades as the "government" implodes upon itself. As proponents of liberty we need to lead the way to show people how to be free. When the time comes the public-at-large will be more willing to cast off their shackles if there already is a viable alternative in place.

heavenlyboy34
07-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Cool, have fun influencing no one and only drawing resentment. I for one will be using the opportunity to remind people about what we're celebrating and what we've lost, and you don't do that by treating the day like its a sham and alienating them from even listening to me.

Plus I'm proud of what those men did, so I'm not going to act like differently just because some assholes hijacked this country. The time has come to come together and take it back, not to divide by disavowing.
Who were you planning to "influence"? It's just a State-worship day. Kind of like celebrations of Big Brother in 1984. Nobody's going to be in the mood for politicking. It would be like the militant atheists who try to convince people not to celebrate Christmas. Might as well stay home and jerk off-at least you'll get something out of it.

TheGrinch
07-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Who were you planning to "influence"? It's just a State-worship day. Kind of like celebrations of Big Brother in 1984. Nobody's going to be in the mood for politicking. It would be like the militant atheists who try to convince people not to celebrate Christmas. Might as well stay home and jerk off-at least you'll get something out of it.

Well, you've got me there, I certainly won't be influencing the number that those turning their backs on the flag, wearing black, etc., will be alienating.

I've actually got to work most of the day, but when I can I would rather take the time to remind people what was fought against and what this day represents, rather than make them feel bad about having pride in what they think is still a free country.

I certainly have no issue with not participating, but I think there are much more satisfying and productive ways to spend your time, whether that be doing what you do still have left to enjoy, or whether that be making a stand through protest. I just don't see mocking the day as a productive form of protest. It may make you feel temporarily better, but then you're just left bitching about why no one listened to you. You never give them a chance if you alienate them from the start.

Really, georgiaboy said it so much better than I could at this time of night:

Carlybee
07-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Well, there's always dropping out of the system / agorism. Become as self-sufficient as possible. Produce your own food. Get off the grid by utilizing new technology. Work under the table. For savings and commerce, use anything but FRNs/slave money...precious metals, cryptocurrencies, commodities for barter, your labor, etc..

Easier said than done sure. But it seems to be the natural trajectory over the next couple of decades as the "government" implodes upon itself. As proponents of liberty we need to lead the way to show people how to be free. When the time comes the public-at-large will be more willing to cast off their shackles if there already is a viable alternative in place.

I'm sure I will be dead by the time that happens....nice thought though.

GregSarnowski
07-02-2013, 12:08 AM
I'm sure I will be dead by the time that happens....nice thought though.

I wouldn't bet on it. The entire system is obviously an empty shell held up by nothing but "faith". All that needs to happen is a catastrophic event like a currency collapse - which in my view is a virtual certainty in the coming decades, if not years. When that happens we need to be prepared to offer people something of substance to replace the status-quo, where the focus is on individual liberty and local autonomy.

After all, I guarantee the fascists who are currently running the country into the ground have a plan to use any coming crisis to tighten their iron fist even more.

I'm not saying don't work within the system now but it's probably best to hedge our bets (e.g. I vote and I own bitcoin).

heavenlyboy34
07-02-2013, 12:42 AM
Well, you've got me there, I certainly won't be influencing the number that those turning their backs on the flag, wearing black, etc., will be alienating.

I've actually got to work most of the day, but when I can I would rather take the time to remind people what was fought against and what this day represents, rather than make them feel bad about having pride in what they think is still a free country.

I certainly have no issue with not participating, but I think there are much more satisfying and productive ways to spend your time, whether that be doing what you do still have left to enjoy, or whether that be making a stand through protest. I just don't see mocking the day as a productive form of protest. It may make you feel temporarily better, but then you're just left bitching about why no one listened to you. You never give them a chance if you alienate them from the start.

Really, georgiaboy said it so much better than I could at this time of night:
It's not supposed to be. It's a personal thing. Same as sitting during the pledge of allegience or national anthem. State holidays are psychological tools, like anthems, poetry, hymns, etc. It reminds me of the scenes in "We" describing the Numbers writing odes, manifestos, hymns, etc to the One State (Единого Благударство) and The Great Benefactor.

Likewise, I don't see celebrating the day as "patriotic", "freedom-oriented", or whatever buzz word/phrase you care to insert there.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel

dannno
07-02-2013, 12:48 AM
No barbeques.

Are the vegans behind this??

TheGrinch
07-02-2013, 12:49 AM
It's not supposed to be. It's a personal thing. Same as sitting during the pledge of allegience or national anthem. State holidays are psychological tools, like anthems, poetry, hymns, etc. It reminds me of the scenes in "We" describing the Numbers writing odes, manifestos, hymns, etc to the One State (Единого Благударство) and The Great Benefactor.

Likewise, I don't see celebrating the day as "patriotic", "freedom-oriented", or whatever buzz word/phrase you care to insert there.

Yes, at some point all holidays mostly lost their meaning, and we all used the day off as an excuse to goof off with family and friends, other holidays largely for consumerism, but that doesn't make the purpose of the holiday devoid, it's just forgotten and co-opted. It is only a state-celebration if you let it be.

That said, do what you want, you're right that it's a personal thing, but I don't think it's any better to turn it into a soapbox with no good purpose but to try to antagonize those who do celebrate it. I'm not trying to tell you all what to do, but rather to make you realize what are effective ways to make your voice heard, and what are just ways to make yourself feel better while greatening the divide between you and the people you wish would change.

Carlybee
07-02-2013, 12:55 AM
Something to think about as you are playing with your sparklers

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Matthew5
07-02-2013, 07:51 AM
...The time has come to come together and take it back, not to divide by disavowing.

That's assuming there's anything left to take back. 150 years is a long time for the village to be pillaged, so to speak.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-02-2013, 08:03 AM

Yes, exactly. Right now might not be the best time to start becoming islands. What happens when the internet and phones suddenly stop working?

I can't think of a better thing to be doing this 4th than a 'restore the 4th' gathering. This is coming from someone who largely feels "protests" are a waste of time and energy.

helmuth_hubener
07-02-2013, 08:33 AM
I am planning to have fun, participate in things, etc., just while wearing black. Someone may ask why. Or they may not. Either way: success! No one's going to resent you just for wearing black to mourn the death of liberty. No one who was ever going to listen to you anyway.

limequat
07-02-2013, 08:40 AM
No person or organization will voluntarily relinquish power. We are hens asking the fox to put the farmer back in charge of the hen house. Will the fox say, "You're right, I don't need to eat today"?

The way I see it, Ron Paul was right to target the Fed. The only nonviolent possibility for revolution is to starve the beast. Maybe an appropriate use of the 4th is to brainstorm ideas to get money out of the hands of leviathan.

GregSarnowski
07-02-2013, 11:34 AM
The way I see it, Ron Paul was right to target the Fed. The only nonviolent possibility for revolution is to starve the beast. Maybe an appropriate use of the 4th is to brainstorm ideas to get money out of the hands of leviathan.

No need to brainstorm - we already have an alternative to the Fed parasites, and it's bitcoins.

Bitcoins not bombs. Crypto-anarchy is the future, even if the vast majority of people haven't realized it yet.

mczerone
07-02-2013, 11:37 AM

The flag was not part of the DoI. The flag was a symbol of the newly forming govt, not a symbol of independence.

Zippyjuan
07-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Hey Jim. Have you seen this on the latest satelite images? There is a family down there not barbecuing on the 4th of July. Something must be up. Let's send in the drone for a close look.

Yep -sure enough. No smoke charing dead animal parts going on. Was it something we did? Can't be. Must be a terrorist cell. Prepare to arm missiles on drone. We'll give them some personal fireworks.

heavenlyboy34
07-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Something to think about as you are playing with your sparklers
Terrorist propaganda reported.

Carlybee
07-02-2013, 12:05 PM
No need to brainstorm - we already have an alternative to the Fed parasites, and it's bitcoins.

Bitcoins not bombs. Crypto-anarchy is the future, even if the vast majority of people haven't realized it yet.

what if all the internets die?

Carlybee
07-02-2013, 12:07 PM
I am planning to have fun, participate in things, etc., just while wearing black. Someone may ask why. Or they may not. Either way: success! No one's going to resent you just for wearing black to mourn the death of liberty. No one who was ever going to listen to you anyway.

It's 9000 degrees here..not wearing black.

Carlybee
07-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Hey Jim. Have you seen this on the latest satelite images? There is a family down there not barbecuing on the 4th of July. Something must be up. Let's send in the drone for a close look.

Yep -sure enough. No smoke charing dead animal parts going on. Was it something we did? Can't be. Must be a terrorist cell. Prepare to arm missiles on drone. We'll give them some personal fireworks.

Martha, get the tinfoil raygun deflector...incoming.

GregSarnowski
07-02-2013, 12:15 PM
what if all the internets die?

Well in that case the entire worldwide financial system will be devastated. But even so it's not like bitcoins in your possession would disappear. Technically they could still be transferred physically via USB drive or something.

But if you think that will happen (I personally doubt it) your best bet is probably physical bullion. Oh and beans and bullets.

Carlybee
07-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Well in that case the entire worldwide financial system will be devastated. But even so it's not like bitcoins in your possession would disappear. Technically they could still be transferred physically via USB drive or something.

But if you think that will happen (I personally doubt it) your best bet is probably physical bullion. Oh and beans and bullets.

I'm thinking Jack Daniels

GregSarnowski
07-02-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm thinking Jack Daniels

Can't go wrong there. I prefer Jim Beam though just on price alone.

Carlybee
07-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Can't go wrong there. I prefer Jim Beam though just on price alone.

Just messing with ya..I don't even drink...but I'm betting it would be valuable in a SHTF scenario.

GregSarnowski
07-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Just messing with ya..I don't even drink...but I'm betting it would be valuable in a SHTF scenario.

Yeah no doubt about it, hard alcohol has a lot of things going for it as a prep commodity, it stores forever and is highly divisible, and it has both recreational and medical uses.

Occam's Banana
07-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel

I must respectfully disagree with the esteemed Dr. Johnson.

It has been my experience that patriotism is often the very first refuge of scoundrels.