PDA

View Full Version : Critique my letter to Iowans

krott5333
11-27-2007, 12:55 AM
Dear ________,

Hello from Pennsylvania. Before you rip up this letter in anger and annoyance due to all the political solicitations I’m sure you receive, please take a moment of your time to read about a candidate that I feel can put this country back on the right track.

To be honest, I was provided with a form letter to send to the twenty addresses I signed up to write to. However, I decided to write from the heart, and tell you why I support Ron Paul.

We are all sick of politics. I even told myself awhile back that I would not get involved this time around, as it just does not seem to make a difference. I figured there is just too much corruption and too much big money from the corporate interests for my thoughts to matter. That was until one day when I was watching a Republican debate. I saw Ron Paul, a relative nobody at the time, stand up to Rudy Giuliani’s illogical arguments. I went online, looked into Paul’s positions and voting record, and was immediately hooked.

Finally, a candidate that has consistent principles and an impeccable Congressional voting record to back it up!

Months later, I see myself spending hundreds of dollars of my own money, distributing campaign materials, printing flyers, and writing letters to people in another state.. people I’ll never meet, and people who may or may not be affected by what I write. However, I am writing to ask you to consider voting for Dr. Paul in Iowa 's January 3rd caucus.

I can’t really afford to spend the money that I do trying to promote Ron Paul. However, I look at it as an investment. High-risk perhaps, but also with the chance of a very high return.

A chance of seeing my country return to its Constitutional roots, where people can keep the money they earn.

A chance of returning to sound money that does not lose value by the day as the federal government stretches itself to the limit while paying for a war and foreign policy that is unmanageable and unaffordable.

A chance for people to take responsibility for their own lives, and to not be burdened by the heavy hand of government.

A chance to return the rights to the states, and allow them to decide what is best. I am sure that what is best for Pennsylvania may not be best for Iowa.

A chance to secure our borders and retain our national sovereignty.

Some background information on Ron Paul:

Ron Paul is a 10-term Republican Congressman, a former flight surgeon in the US Air Force, and a medical doctor (OB/GYN) that has delivered more than 4,000 babies. He never took payments from the government as a doctor. Instead, he would do the work for free or a reduced fee.

In Congress, Dr. Paul has never voted to raise taxes. He was voted “The Taxpayers Best Friend” 10 years in a row. He does not participate in the lucrative Congressional pension program because he does not think it is fair to taxpayers. He wants to secure our borders and is the only major candidate of either party that wants our troops to come home now.

Ron Paul is the most principled man I have ever met. He has been married to his wife Carol for over 50 years, he is extremely honest and genuine, and you always know where he stands. He is truly the Thomas Jefferson of our day and is exactly what our country needs.

Please consider voting for Dr. Paul at your Republican caucus on January 3, 2008. Since you are registered as "no party", you can register Republican on caucus night to vote for him. If you'd like to learn more, please visit his website. www.RonPaul2008.com And for a more in-depth look at Ron Paul, visit www.RonPaulLibrary.com. It has hundreds of articles written by Congressman Paul, and is categorized for easy navigation.

I would certainly like to hear what you think of Dr. Ron Paul. Please e-mail me your thoughts at pak190@psu.edu. Or, please feel free to call me: 814-572-7171. I would be happy to provide you with any campaign materials, stickers, signs, etc.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Patrick A. Krott
Fairview, PA

fletcher
11-27-2007, 01:04 AM
Looks good. Great job.

RockEnds
11-27-2007, 01:07 AM
It may not be wise to presume anger in someone you haven't met! ;) Maybe reword that part a little. Some people are sick of politics, but there are some who are very glad to be contacted by individuals bearing info about Dr. Paul.

Don't trash the whole intro, just skip the part about the recipient being angry.

kotetu
11-27-2007, 01:58 AM
I suggest a few changes - mostly shortening it a bit. You might want to include a pamphlet or slim jim with Ron's info. :)

Dear ________,

Hello from Pennsylvania, please take a moment to read about a candidate that I feel can put this country back on the right track. I am writing from the heart to tell you why I support Ron Paul.

We are all sick of politics. I even told myself awhile back that I would not get involved this time around, as it just does not seem to make a difference. I figured there is just too much corruption and too much big money from the corporate interests for my thoughts to matter. Then, while watching a Republican debate, I saw Ron Paul, a relative nobody at the time, stand up to another candidate’s illogical arguments. Intrigued, I went online and looked into Paul’s positions and voting record; I was immediately hooked. Finally, a candidate that has consistent principles and an impeccable Congressional voting record to back it up!

Now several months later, I have spent hundreds of dollars of my own money, distributing campaign materials, printing fliers, and writing letters to people in another state.. people I’ll never meet, and people who may or may not be affected by what I write. However, I am writing to ask you to consider voting for Dr. Paul in Iowa 's January 3rd caucus. While I can’t really afford to spend the money that I do trying to promote Ron Paul, I look at it as an investment. High-risk perhaps, but also with the chance of a very high return.

A chance of seeing my country return to its Constitutional roots, where people can keep the money they earn.

A chance of returning to sound money that does not lose value every time the Fed prints more money to cover shortfall

A chance to end a war and foreign policy that is both unmanageable and unaffordable.

A chance for people to take responsibility for their own lives, and to not be burdened by the heavy hand of government.

A chance to return the rights to the states, and allow them to decide what is best. I am sure that what is best for Pennsylvania may not be best for Iowa.

A chance to secure our borders and retain our national sovereignty.

Please consider voting for Dr. Paul at your Republican caucus on January 3, 2008. Since you are registered as "no party", you can register Republican on caucus night to vote for him. If you'd like to learn more, please visit his website. www.RonPaul2008.com And for a more in-depth look at Ron Paul, visit www.RonPaulLibrary.com. It has hundreds of articles written by Congressman Paul, and is categorized for easy navigation.

I would certainly like to hear what you think of Dr. Ron Paul. Please e-mail me your thoughts at _@_._. Or, please feel free to call me: _-_-_. I would be happy to provide you with any campaign materials, stickers, signs, etc.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

all J's in IL for RP
11-27-2007, 02:58 AM
...a relative nobody...

Negative connotation. I'd change that to something about him being unknown to you. Which may be the case of the person you're writing.

He is truly the Thomas Jefferson...

I'd preface this with an "I believe him to be" or somesuch, which is more fitting for a testimonial.

krott5333
11-27-2007, 03:09 AM
He is truly the Thomas Jefferson...

I'd preface this with an "I believe him to be" or somesuch, which is more fitting for a testimonial.

that was actually part of the form letter! :o