PDA

View Full Version : Silicon Valley prepares to unleash the lobbyists

Warlord
06-30-2013, 02:45 AM
http://www.kantei.go.jp/foreign/noda/actions/201203/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2012/03/30/29KONDAN_Zuckerberg2.jpg?w=496&s=100000

Zuck and co really want the 140,000 H1-B visa allocation and are determined to support a monstrosity of a bill to get it.

Notice they say the 3 weeks after July 10th is absolutely crucial. If you're against this bill now is the time to raise hell. Contact your CONGRESSMAN (http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/). Go see him at a town hall or other event over July 4th.

-
The tech industry scored two major victories on immigration this week, but its toughest legislative battle on the issue lies ahead in the House.

The passage of the Senate’s immigration bill is the closest the tech industry has come in recent years to its primary goals of raising the H-1B visa cap and securing more green cards for highly skilled foreign workers. But tech companies, like other stakeholders pushing for immigration reform, are only at the 50-yard line.

“We want to see the process move forward and this week it did, in a big way,” said Andy Halataei, director of government relations at the Information Technology Industry Council. “We have to keep pushing. How and when and exactly what's going to happen, I don't think anyone knows.”

Tech companies face a fresh set of political challenges in the Republican-controlled House. The lower chamber’s path forward on immigration legislation is unclear and time is running out for action.

The tech industry hopes the murkiness will recede when the House Republican Conference meets on July 10, after lawmakers return from recess. While final decisions may not be made during the meeting, tech representatives view the meeting as the next key marker in the immigration debate and hope to get a better lay of the land on how the GOP leadership plans to tackle the issue.

That includes whether House Republicans plan to bring the piecemeal bills passed out of the House Judiciary Committee to the floor before Congress breaks for August recess.

“After that [meeting], the following three weeks are going to be the most important three weeks to see action on the House side and see where this is going,” said Veronica O’Connell, vice president of congressional affairs at the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA).

The industry remains undeterred despite the outstanding question marks, arguing that it has too much riding on the passage of immigration reform for political momentum to die in the House.

“I think from our perspective, failure is not really an option,” said Peter Muller, director of government relations at Intel. “We've been waiting so long to address these issues.

“We’ve seen it can be achieved in the Senate. How it can be achieved in the House is uncertain, but if it can't get done now, it's never going to get done,” Muller added.

The tech industry took a hard blow when immigration legislation unraveled in 2007 and it is working hard to make sure history doesn’t repeat itself this time.

“We're going to use every tool that we can come up with to try to encourage lawmakers to complete this bill this year and to finally address the high-skilled immigration challenges we have been facing,” Muller said.

That strategy also includes getting face time with top House leaders, according to CEA’s O’Connell.

“We're going to keep the drum beat going,” she said. “We're going to meet with leadership on both sides of the House and keep up our messaging.”

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/308555-silicon-valley-prepares-to-push-house-toward-immigration-reform#ixzz2Xgfh2nMs

Warlord
06-30-2013, 02:55 AM
Tell your congressman that the Senate amnesty bill creates an incentive that ensures the mass firing of American workers from their jobs:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?419533-U-S-Senate-Set-To-Pass-Historic-Amnesty-Bill&p=5097710

Ask them how they can support the mass firing and displacement of millions of Americans thanks to the Obamacare exemption incentive? How they can support a bill that even the CBO says will drive down wages and increase unemployment over the next decade?

Warlord
06-30-2013, 03:13 AM
By the way I'm absolutely furious. Warlord just shelled out over a thousand for a new Macbook with an Intel chip. Perhaps customers can tell Peter Muller, director of government relations at Intel how they feel that he is supporting a bill that will lead to the mass firing of American workers.

Warlord
06-30-2013, 03:25 AM
for what its worth:

-

Mr. Muller,

I have just shelled out over a thousand dollars for a new Macbook air with an Intel chip and I'm absolutely furious to learn from The Hill that you're supporting the Senate amnesty bill which creates an incentive through an Obamacare exemption that ensures the mass firing and displacement of millions of low skilled American workers:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?419533-U-S-Senate-Set-To-Pass-Historic-Amnesty-Bill&p=5097710

I know the doubling of H1-B visas's is important to your company and the tech sector but at what cost? Why are you prepared to use your resources of which I have recently contributed to in order to support the Harry Reid/Chuck Schumer monstrosity?

The bill has numerous flaws not least the Obamacare mandate exemption for newly registered provisonal immigrants that creates the perverse incentive for companies in the service sector to fire their American counterparts and hire from this pool so they can avoid Obamacare fines!

This is a grand betrayal of the American people and your fellow citizens. I demand as a customer of Intel that you cease and desist from pushing to have this bill brought up in the House.

I thank you for your time.