PDA

View Full Version : Medical Marijuana Legalized in New Hampshire

Keith and stuff
06-29-2013, 09:58 AM
About time. NH was 1 of the first states to pass a medical marijuana bill in the 1980s but that law was horrible (it only legalized it if the federal government did). Now a real bill passed in NH and it will soon be the 19th state. The bill is a NJ style bill though so there is still a LOT of work to do. Unfortunately, because of Democratic Governor Hassan, patients aren't allowed to grow their own medicine.

Medical Marijuana Legalized in New Hampshire
Posted on June 27, 2013 by Joshua De Leon
http://www.ringoffireradio.com/2013/06/27/medical-marijuana-legalized-in-new-hampshire/

According to the Portland Press Herald, New Hampshire is now positioned to be the next state allowing the use of medical marijuana, bringing the number of states to 19.

House Bill 573, which clears marijuana for medical use in New Hampshire, passed the New Hampshire House legislature with overwhelming support; the final vote tallying 284-66. Medical marijuana lobbyists celebrated the bill’s passage in a way that alludes to their thinking of “it’s about time.” Matt Simon, a lobbyist with the Marijuana Policy Project said “This legislation has been a long time coming and is a much-needed victory for those with serious illnesses who find significant relief in marijuana.”

In light of the bill, four medical marijuana dispensaries are scheduled to open in 2015 and patients will be allowed to possess, with a doctor’s prescription, up to two ounces of medical marijuana. The bill recognizes marijuana as a significantly helpful means of medicinal therapy claiming that it “has many currently accepted medical uses in the United States, having been recommended by thousands of licensed physicians to at least 500,000 patients in states with medical marijuana laws.”

Several studies have cleared marijuana to be advantageous in relieving symptoms and pains of some very serious ailments like HIV, cancer, Crohn’s disease, and multiple sclerosis. Not only does it provide relief, but medical marijuana is also safer on the body and brain than synthetically developed OTC drugs.

The potential withdrawal symptoms of prolonged medical marijuana use are mild; disturbed sleep, irritability, and sweating among the “more serious,” whereas highly potent painkillers like oxycontin, also prescribed for multiple sclerosis, possess far worse effects. Painkillers like oxycontin have many adverse effects on the human body including nausea, vomiting, seizures, and severe allergic reactions.

In a slow, but steady, domino-effect of sorts, New Hampshire is one more state that is helping lead the country to a progressive and well-needed reform of marijuana legislation in America, away from the archaic Harry Aslinger and “Reefer Madness-like” stigma placed upon a mere plant.

Joshua de Leon is a writer and researcher with Ring of Fire.

tod evans
06-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Good news!

John F Kennedy III
06-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Awesome news. I'm hoping the law is drastically improved by the time the dispensaries open in 2015.

AlexAmore
06-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Hassan informed senators that, in order to earn her signature, they must remove the home cultivation provision, gut the affirmative defense provisions, and require written permission from property owners or tenants before patients may use marijuana on private property.

This was a major change of position for Gov. Hassan, who voted for a bill allowing home cultivation of up to six plants as Senate majority leader in 2009. Unfortunately, legislators had little choice but to comply.

http://www.mpp.org/states/new-hampshire/

Keith and stuff
06-29-2013, 11:03 AM
Hassan informed senators that, in order to earn her signature, they must remove the home cultivation provision, gut the affirmative defense provisions, and require written permission from property owners or tenants before patients may use marijuana on private property.

This was a major change of position for Gov. Hassan, who voted for a bill allowing home cultivation of up to six plants as Senate majority leader in 2009. Unfortunately, legislators had little choice but to comply.

http://www.mpp.org/states/new-hampshire/

She even campaigned on medical marijuana when she ran for governor. People were so excited because all three candidates for NH governor (D, R and LP) agreed that medical marijuana was a good thing.

Thankfully, New England already does the best from a liberty perspective when it comes to victimless crime law enforcement of any region in the county. http://freedominthe50states.org/victimless-crimes

Keith and stuff
06-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Thankfully, all of the states that border NH have legalized medical marijuana and partly decriminalized marijuana. So if someone doesn't feel comfortable smoking in NH, she may drive to MA, ME or VT where she will feel safer from government agents.

opal
06-29-2013, 12:52 PM
good step.. number 19 shows real progress even though limited.

Does any where on the planet have it approved as a food source?

dannno
06-29-2013, 01:19 PM
good step.. number 19 shows real progress even though limited.

Does any where on the planet have it approved as a food source?

It's approved as a food source anywhere in the US as long as you buy it from a foreign country where production is very highly limited and regulated, thus expensive.

opal
06-29-2013, 01:25 PM
It's approved as a food source anywhere in the US as long as you buy it from a foreign country where production is very highly limited and regulated, thus expensive.

um... how does buying from a foreign country get ya past possession charges?

Anti Federalist
06-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Hassan, (like the rest of the broads representing NH at the federal level), is just awful.

devil21
06-29-2013, 03:13 PM
um... how does buying from a foreign country get ya past possession charges?

I think the difference is that dannnno is referring to hemp and hemp products (hemp seed oil, etc), not cannabis.

ItsTime
06-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Are there limitations on which diseases it can be used for? If so, is there a list handy?

Keith and stuff
06-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Are there limitations on which diseases it can be used for? If so, is there a list handy?

Not exactly. Anything the government people think as long as it determined to be severely debilitating or terminal. Things could change during the rule making process. Here is the text of the bill. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2013/HB0573.html

IX.(a) “Qualifying medical condition” means the presence of:

(1) Cancer, glaucoma, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus, acquired immune deficiency syndrome, hepatitis C currently receiving antiviral treatment, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, Crohn’s disease, agitation of Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis, chronic pancreatitis, spinal cord injury or disease, traumatic brain injury, or one or more injuries that significantly interferes with daily activities as documented by the patient’s provider; and

(2) A severely debilitating or terminal medical condition or its treatment that has produced at least one of the following: elevated intraocular pressure, cachexia, chemotherapy-induced anorexia, wasting syndrome, severe pain that has not responded to previously prescribed medication or surgical measures or for which other treatment options produced serious side effects, constant or severe nausea, moderate to severe vomiting, seizures, or severe, persistent muscle spasms.

(b) The department may include a medical condition that is not listed in subparagraph (a) that the department determines, on a case by case basis, is severely debilitating or terminal, based upon the written request of a provider who furnishes written certification to the department.

talkingpointes
06-29-2013, 04:22 PM
She even campaigned on medical marijuana when she ran for governor. People were so excited because all three candidates for NH governor (D, R and LP) agreed that medical marijuana was a good thing.

Thankfully, New England already does the best from a liberty perspective when it comes to victimless crime law enforcement of any region in the county. http://freedominthe50states.org/victimless-crimes

A politician that lies -- no way. Did you actually believe her. Or are you just saying that?

Keith and stuff
06-29-2013, 05:10 PM
A politician that lies -- no way. Did you actually believe her. Or are you just saying that?

Since she voted for allowing patients to grow their own medicine in the past, I thought she would still before it (especially since more people support medical marijuana in NH and the nation then did when she voted for it in the past).

Rocco
06-29-2013, 05:20 PM
So when is the governor expected to sign the bill?

Elias Graves
06-29-2013, 06:18 PM
I still have a bad feeling. Obama has been ruthless about going after states that try to usurp federal authority. See Arizona's immigration deal. They are letting these slide for a reason and I suspect it's to gather ammunition against citizens. I can almost guarantee its not through some sense of right and wrong because Obama clearly doesn't have one. Everything he does is calculated.
Remember, no matter what your state says, you're still breaking federal law...

Warlord
06-29-2013, 06:21 PM
I still have a bad feeling. Obama has been ruthless about going after states that try to usurp federal authority. See Arizona's immigration deal. They are letting these slide for a reason and I suspect it's to gather ammunition against citizens. I can almost guarantee its not through some sense of right and wrong because Obama clearly doesn't have one. Everything he does is calculated.
Remember, no matter what your state says, you're still breaking federal law...

Excuse me for being inquisitive but how is it you only joined in June? were you lurking before then? did you post anywhere else? you're definitely one of the better new posters in a while apart from the Warlord himself of course.

BTW, Federal law under the 10th amendment and enumerated powers is unconstitutional. All the drug laws are unconstitutional. Go ahead and break them and enjoy yourself. Helps if you can get your state to pass bills affirming it though.

Screw the Feds and screw Scalia and his interpretation of the Commerce Clause under a self-appointed court. The States created the Federal government and the power lies with the States and The People. The Constitution makes this abundantly clear. We need to get states like WA and CO to pass bills making Federal enforcement of the drug laws a felony punishable by 10 years in a filthy, rotting county jail. See how the Federal agents like that when they come to town.

Elias Graves
06-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Excuse me for being inquisitive but how is it you only joined in June? were you lurking before then? you're definitely one of the better new posters in a while apart from Warlord himself of course.

Ive been a quiet liberty lover my whole life but I never wore it on my sleeve. I simply lived my life according to the principles I believed in and mostly kept my opinions to myself.
The events of the last year have convinced me that's no longer a tenable position. More action is needed publicly to force the statists out of office.

Rand caught my attention and I followed the bread crumbs here.

QuickZ06
06-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Ive been a quiet liberty lover my whole life but I never wore it on my sleeve. I simply lived my life according to the principles I believed in and mostly kept my opinions to myself.
The events of the last year have convinced me that's no longer a tenable position. More action is needed publicly to force the statists out of office.

Rand caught my attention and I followed the bread crumbs here.

Well we are glad to have ya. Welcome aboard!

Elias Graves
06-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Well we are glad to have ya. Welcome aboard!

Thank you. I'm a musician and the boards that cater to us that have political sections are invariably ruled by the most insane statist wack jobs you've ever seen. I used to post there some but it's clear they are well trained and have no desire to see the truth.

Immediately following 9/11, I was largely on board with Bush until he started pushing the Iraq war and I knew then something was amiss. I tended to agree with the hard core lefties about his civil rights violations and I naively assumed when their own dear leader revealed himself as being cut from the same cloth as his predecessor that they'd turn on him. The circle was complete when they cheered him on because it was their guy targeting their enemies. It became painfully clear they were more interested in revenge than liberty.

I can at least respect an honest fascist because he says what he means. It's the ones who hide behind rhetoric that I can't take. That criticism applies equally to the flag waver pushing interventionism in the name if liberty as it does to the one pushing communism in the name of civil rights.

thehungarian
06-29-2013, 07:32 PM
With all the activists in that state I'm sort of surprised it's taken so long.

ItsTime
06-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Not exactly. Anything the government people think as long as it determined to be severely debilitating or terminal. Things could change during the rule making process. Here is the text of the bill. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2013/HB0573.html

Thanks.

Keith and stuff
06-29-2013, 10:49 PM
The States created the Federal government and the power lies with the States and The People. The Constitution makes this abundantly clear. We need to get states like WA and CO to pass bills making Federal enforcement of the drug laws a felony punishable by 10 years in a filthy, rotting county jail. See how the Federal agents like that when they come to town.

Except in the cases of WA and CO, the federal government created them.

QuickZ06
06-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Thank you. I'm a musician and the boards that cater to us that have political sections are invariably ruled by the most insane statist wack jobs you've ever seen. I used to post there some but it's clear they are well trained and have no desire to see the truth.

Immediately following 9/11, I was largely on board with Bush until he started pushing the Iraq war and I knew then something was amiss. I tended to agree with the hard core lefties about his civil rights violations and I naively assumed when their own dear leader revealed himself as being cut from the same cloth as his predecessor that they'd turn on him. The circle was complete when they cheered him on because it was their guy targeting their enemies. It became painfully clear they were more interested in revenge than liberty.

I can at least respect an honest fascist because he says what he means. It's the ones who hide behind rhetoric that I can't take. That criticism applies equally to the flag waver pushing interventionism in the name if liberty as it does to the one pushing communism in the name of civil rights.

Could not agree more, what do you play?

QuickZ06
06-29-2013, 10:52 PM

Keith and stuff
01-24-2014, 06:26 PM
It is now 2014 and there is a NH House bill to improve the new medical marijuana law in NH. You know, the law that passed last year. Baby steps can be annoying... when it comes to politics though, they are often needed.

New Hampshire Bill would Allow Limited Medical Marijuana Home Cultivation
By Scott Gacek | The Daily Chronic January 23, 2014
http://www.thedailychronic.net/2014/27334/new-hampshire-bill-allow-limited-medical-marijuana-home-cultivation/

CONCORD, NH — A bill was filed in the New Hampshire House on Wednesday that would allow medical marijuana patients or their caregivers to grow their own cannabis.

The bill, House Bill 1622, was introduced by Rep. Donald Wright (R) and is co-sponsored by Reps. Emily Sandblade (R), Andrew Renzullo (R) and Tim O’Flaherty (D) in the House and Republican John Reagan in the Senate.

Last year, lawmakers in New Hampshire passed House Bill 573 authorizing the use of medical marijuana, becoming the 19th medical marijuana state, but home cultivation was removed from the bill following concerns from Gov. Maggie Hassan, who said she would only sign the bill into law if home cultivation was not allowed.

Under the bill passed last year, up to four dispensaries, or compassion centers, are authorized to open beginning in 2015.

The bill filed Wednesday would allow patients or caregivers 21 years or older to grow their own medical marijuana if the patient lives more than 30 miles from one of the state’s four authorized dispensaries or if no dispensaries are open in the state.

Under the proposal, a patient would be allowed one flowering cannabis plant, six seedlings, and up to six ounces of marijuana at the cultivation location. Patients would be limited to possessing one ounce of marijuana elsewhere.

One of the bill’s co-sponsors, Rep. Donald Wright, pushed heavily last year for home cultivation to remain in the bill. Rep. Wright’s wife uses marijuana to help with nausea associated from treatment for breast cancer.

“We have no legal way of obtaining it,” Rep. Wight said last year.

The bill has been assigned to the House Health, Human Services & Elderly Affairs Committee, and has been scheduled for a public hearing on January 30 at 10:00 am.

The article bill, if anyone wants to read it or contact the Committee in support of it. Baby steps :(
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_status/Bill_status.aspx?lsr=2032&sy=2014&sortoption=&txtsessionyear=2014&txtbillnumber=hb1622

BookerAkers
02-27-2015, 05:57 AM
That is very good news!

VoluntaryAmerican
02-27-2015, 08:36 PM

This law appears much more open than NJs as far as conditions listed here. I could get medical marijuana in NH according to that list, but not NJ. In NJ its limited mostly to terminal disease IIRC. Another reason to move to the freestate LOL.