PDA

View Full Version : Arrest made in New Jersey home invasion caught on nanny cam

mad cow
06-29-2013, 02:31 AM
Authorities today identified Custis as the man captured on film mercilessly beating a woman in front of her child.

Authorities are looking for 42-year-old Shawn Custis, charged in the home invasion robbery and beating of a Millburn mother caught on the family's nanny camera.
Essex County Prosecutor's Office
Custis is a career criminal with 12 felony convictions and a long record dating back to the early 90s. He was most recently jailed in connection with a string of burglaries across New Jersey in March 2011. He served 10 months in jail and was released in December, according to court records.

Nanny cam beating suspect.

Captured,more at link:
http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2013/06/millburn_video_beating_arrest.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Nobexliberty
06-29-2013, 03:15 AM
Time for flogging to begin!
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXsYHuB8axR9BONMCkkhtpyJgXTgbpn Vqc3YuRE_SPr0MdunIC

tod evans
06-29-2013, 05:01 AM
He'll plead out to 5-6 years while poor benign stoners regularly "accept" double that in order to avoid an honest trial....:mad:

kcchiefs6465
06-29-2013, 05:14 AM
He'll plead out to 5-6 years while poor begin stoners regularly "accept" double that in order to avoid an honest trial....:mad:
As much as that is generally true, and that's probably what has already happened in the other times he was released, they are going to throw the book at him.

He will be doing every possible day they can give him. Probably upwards of 35 years.

Nobexliberty
06-29-2013, 05:53 AM
Why is flogging considered cruel and unusal, it is perfect punishment for some crimes.

tod evans
06-29-2013, 06:49 AM
As much as that is generally true, and that's probably what has already happened in the other times he was released, they are going to throw the book at him.

He will be doing every possible day they can give him. Probably upwards of 35 years.

Could be?

Now those same benign stoners who hurt nobody are put in a cage with the likes of this guy..

That'll teach 'em!

Scrapmo
06-29-2013, 07:09 AM
If they only had evidence of him carrying out a truly heinous crime, like smoking pot, they could lock him up for good.

satchelmcqueen
06-29-2013, 07:55 AM
i hope they kill him in prison right after they ass rape him. thats my honest thought. itll be to good for him, but id like to hear that it happened.

Nobexliberty
06-29-2013, 07:59 AM
i hope they kill him in prison right after they ass rape him. thats my honest thought. itll be to good for him, but id like to hear that it happened. Let me shoot him!

Anti Federalist
06-29-2013, 09:49 PM
See???

The surveillance state works...

A few days late, but it works.

*belch*

Arrest made in New Jersey home invasion caught on nanny cam

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/29/arrest-made-in-nyc-suspect-in-nj-home-invasion-caught-on-nanny-cam/#ixzz2XfSXggOR

A suspect wanted in the brutal New Jersey home invasion that was captured on a nanny cam was arrested Friday, authorities said.

The Essex County prosecutor's office said 42-year-old Shawn Custis was arrested in Manhattan by the prosecutor's office and the FBI. Custis faces charges of attempted murder, robbery, burglary and child endangerment. A judge set bail at $750,000.

The attack last Friday in Millburn was captured on a hidden camera in the woman's home. A man can be seen bursting into the home, punching and kicking the woman and throwing her down the stairs while her 3-year-old daughter cowered on a couch.

County chief of detectives Anthony Ambrose said Friday that Custis was being transported to an undisclosed location in New Jersey.

"It was a horrific and brutal crime and detectives and the FBI did a really good job cooperating together to bring this individual to justice," Ambrose told The Star-Ledger.

Police withheld the woman's name to protect the her identity and requested the faces of her and her child be blurred when the video was aired. The woman suffered a concussion, bruises, chipped teeth and cuts around the mouth that required stitches, police said.

The nanny cam footage shows the woman sitting next to her child in front of the TV, then getting up to check out a noise of the frame. It then shows her backing up and being attacked by a man who rushes her.

The burglar made three trips upstairs to rifle through the family's belongings, police said, assaulting the woman on the trips back to the first floor, kicking her, punching her and yanking her by the hair.

The woman screams at the beginning of the assaults, which took place over several minutes, but then is quiet as her 3-year-old remains glued to the couch.

"I knew that if I started screaming, my daughter would, too, and I was afraid she would get hurt," the woman told News 12 New Jersey. "I took it. I didn't cry the entire time."

matt0611
06-29-2013, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't call that the "survailence state". It was a person's private camera system. I got no problem with that.

angelatc
06-29-2013, 10:09 PM
The guy is 42 years old, has a string of arrests dating back to the early 90's and just got out of prison for burglary.

QuickZ06
06-29-2013, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't call that the "survailence state". It was a person's private camera system. I got no problem with that.

Funny you say that, my buddy has a private camera system at his place. One day a month or so back when we were outside working on our cars and a gentlemen came up and said would you like to make sure these vehicles are safe when you are not around? I was kinda confused because on each end of the house (they are clearly visible) are two of the cameras for his system. He must have not of been there best seller as he did not pay attention to his surroundings much. Any who, he preceded to give us his sales pitch until my buddy stopped him and told him he is way ahead of curve and already has his own system. He then preceded to tell us how they have people that watch them even when you are not blah blah blah.

We then asked him what exactly happens to the footage that is recorded and he told us not to worry it gets stored on their private server. We then gave him a look like, righttttt and told him we don't need the government to watch us anymore than they already do. He tired a bit more before we had enough and told him no thanks.

These cameras are the first step with this, first they sell them to you giving you full control. But then they start to add on all the fancy new technology that then turns itself on to you. If you wanna do a home camera system do it now before they start adding features that upload automatically to a server, you know just in case the main unit is destroyed or something and so on and so on.

mad cow
06-29-2013, 10:34 PM

Security camera systems are getting so much cheaper all the time.I am looking at an 8 camera set-up and I live in a dump in a very,very safe neighborhood.I would buy it tomorrow (Costco) if I weren't too lazy to set it up.

This animal would have never been caught if it weren't for the nanny cam.
Many cops and hopefully many more in the future will be nailed and convicted by video evidence of their crimes.

Kudos to privately owned spy-cams and smartphones.

heavenlyboy34
06-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Security camera systems are getting so much cheaper all the time.I am looking at an 8 camera set-up and I live in a dump in a very,very safe neighborhood.I would buy it tomorrow (Costco) if I weren't too lazy to set it up.

Many cops and hopefully many more in the future will be nailed and convicted by video evidence of their crimes.

Hear, hear! :) ~toasts to that~

kcchiefs6465
06-29-2013, 11:25 PM
I hear ya but in all actuality I hope this woman takes it upon herself to become armed.

Kudos to Glock and their 17 shot magazine.

Security cameras are a good deterrent, especially ones with a red noticeable light. (whether they be fake or not... do they still make those? I think they are so cheap now fake ones are pretty much a thing of the past) It helped save other people from being victimized by this guy that he was identified. If not for the camera he probably would never have been caught for the crime and who knows how many people he victimized beforehand.

QuickZ06
06-29-2013, 11:27 PM
I hear ya but in all actuality I hope this woman takes it upon herself to become armed.

Security cameras are a good deterrent, especially ones with a red noticeable light. (whether they be fake or not... do they still make those? I think they are so cheap now fake ones are pretty much a thing of the past) It helped save other people from being victimized by this guy that he was identified. If not for the camera he probably would never have been caught for the crime and who knows how many people he victimized beforehand.

Hear, hear! :) ~toasts to that~ :p

QuickZ06
06-29-2013, 11:28 PM
That lady better be getting a dog and gun. Next time the guy will not be so lucky.

Anti Federalist
06-29-2013, 11:30 PM
He was in Manhattan.

I guarantee facial recognition surveillance picked him up.

Way to miss the point guys.

:rolleyes:

QuickZ06
06-29-2013, 11:35 PM
He was in Manhattan.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/8682/iq13.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/iq13.jpg/)

kcchiefs6465
06-29-2013, 11:37 PM
He was in Manhattan.

Did they release his name before he was caught?

After that footage came out his own mother would have turned him in. The people he committed crimes with would have reported his ass.

Facial recognition is coming much moreso than is available but as far as I'm aware her nanny cam could not have provided a basis for it. (points on his facial features)

I bet someone turned him in. Once it went viral he could go anywhere in the US and someone would have found him.

Anti Federalist
06-29-2013, 11:42 PM

After that footage came out his own mother would have turned him in. The people he committed crimes with would have reported his ass.

Facial recognition is coming much moreso than is available but as far as I'm aware her nanny cam could not have provided a basis for it. (points on his facial features)

That's not how I think it went down.

He's a thug with a track record nine miles long, once he was identified, his biometric phiz went out into The Matrix.

Game over, as soon as that happens, especially in NYC.

mad cow
06-29-2013, 11:53 PM

Yeah,I sleep with a .40 S&W Glock with me in my bed every night and I got plenty other guns around me during the daytime.Prolly one of the reasons I'm too lazy to set up the security-cam.

kcchiefs6465
06-30-2013, 12:14 AM
That's not how I think it went down.

He's a thug with a track record nine miles long, once he was identified, his biometric phiz went out into The Matrix.

Game over, as soon as that happens, especially in NYC.
Very possible.

From what I've heard and read on the technology I don't know if we are there yet. (not that we won't be soon) Of course by the time we hear about a surveillance technology they are leaps and bounds above that already.

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't photographs for State IDs and licenses now using facial recognition software? I kind of recall articles on it in the past. Again though, if they aren't yet they will be soon.

Many an article could be disinfo or misinfo but I've read how easily tricked they are, how at least one computer systems couldn't recognize black people, etc. Some agencies probably have access to a lot better. If they are anywhere, NYC would be a place I'd expect them.

I've seen a documentary on Walgreens and Riteaid using the technology to identify and log shoplifters into a system that would identify them as they walked into the store and automatically have cameras pay them extra attention. That was about a year ago watching a documentary that was probably a few months old and they were very secretive of how good or reliable the technology is.

Could again be disinfo or misinfo. I have no doubts one day we'll be there.

Anti Federalist
06-30-2013, 12:27 AM
I'd be willing to bet on it.

Proving it relies on whether it is in The System's best interest to release that information, that they used The Matrix to catch this guy.

But my instinct tells me that is what happened.

They ID'd him with mug shots shown to the victim, and once they had an ID, all it took was to load that biometric face into The Matrix.

Done.

Very possible.

From what I've heard and read on the technology I don't know if we are there yet. (not that we won't be soon) Of course by the time we hear about a surveillance technology they are leaps and bounds above that already.

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't photographs for State IDs and licenses now using facial recognition software? I kind of recall articles on it in the past. Again though, if they aren't yet they will be soon.

Many an article could be disinfo or misinfo but I've read how easily tricked they are, how at least one computer systems couldn't recognize black people, etc. Some agencies probably have access to a lot better. If they are anywhere, NYC would be a place I'd expect them.

I've seen a documentary on Walgreens and Riteaid using the technology to identify and log shoplifters into a system that would identify them as they walked into the store and automatically have cameras pay them extra attention. That was about a year ago watching a documentary that was probably a few months old and they were very secretive of how good or reliable the technology is.

Could again be disinfo or misinfo. I have no doubts one day we'll be there.

mad cow
06-30-2013, 12:39 AM
The dude had been previously arrested for Twelve Felonies.I bet his pictures,and much more info about his habits,tattoos,friends,relatives and such were already in the system.

WM_in_MO
06-30-2013, 07:53 AM
We're missing the point, WHY WAS HE RELEASED FROM JAIL?

angelatc
06-30-2013, 08:13 AM

They released his name and a mug shot, along with announcing a $22,500 reward.

donnay
06-30-2013, 08:15 AM

What makes you think these privately-owned security cameras cannot be hacked into? In our wireless world, we currently live in, they can grab all kinds of things right out of thin air.

jclay2
06-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Bump. Does anyone know this guys criminal record? I have been looking a half hour to no avail. All I have found is a few burglary convictions over the past years, but nothing detailing his 12 convictions going back into the 1990's. Not surprised, though, that our msm is not reporting on this.

ClydeCoulter
06-30-2013, 08:28 AM

I'll take a guess at it. Or at least ask another question.
If people aren't sick, what would pay for all of those fancy hospitals, equipment and staff? If people aren't out committing crimes, what would pay for all that fancy equipment and surveillance state?

jclay2
06-30-2013, 08:31 AM

Yes! Does anyone have a list of the previous convictions. The media is completely ignoring this.

Contumacious
06-30-2013, 09:00 AM
He'll plead out to 5-6 years while poor benign stoners regularly "accept" double that in order to avoid an honest trial....:mad:

The State of New Jersey will lock him up only for a short period of time.

They need the jail space for really dangerous criminals, ie, those convicted of victimless crimes, Marihuana users, NSA Leakers, etc.

angelatc
06-30-2013, 09:31 AM
The State of New Jersey will lock him up only for a short period of time.

They need the jail space for really dangerous criminals, ie, those convicted of victimless crimes, Marihuana users, NSA Leakers, etc.

Since this is a high profile case, he will probably get longer. But if it had not caught national attention, he'd probably be back out in a year.

I too would like to see his entire criminal history. It seems odd (based on watching lots of Law & Order mothership marathons) that a run of the mill burglar would turn violent at the ripe old age of 42.

I wonder if the media is 'blackwashing" this.

goliberty78
06-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Has any of the msm tv or web outlets covered this story? I don't watch much tv any more and I don't recall seeing it on any of their websites but it's possible I missed it as I don't check them too frequently

nobody's_hero
06-30-2013, 06:20 PM
I hear ya but in all actuality I hope this woman takes it upon herself to become armed..

Meh, she lives in Jersey. I hope she takes it upon herself to get the hell out of there before that idiot Chris Christie makes it illegal for her to be armed against big guys with fists.