PDA

View Full Version : NC Slashing Unemployment Benefits To Pay Down Debt

angelatc
06-28-2013, 08:07 PM
http://www.wral.com/nc-becomes-1st-state-to-drop-federal-jobless-funds/12606352/

And the cuts disqualify them from Federal Extended Benefits:

The changes go into effect Sunday for North Carolina, which has the country's fifth-worst jobless rate. The cuts on those who make unemployment claims on or after that day will disqualify the state from receiving federally funded Emergency Unemployment Compensation. That money kicks in after the state's period of unemployment compensation — now shortened from up to six months to no more than five — runs out. The EUC program is available to long-term jobless in all states. But keeping the money flowing includes a requirement that states can't cut average weekly benefits.
Because North Carolina leaders cut average weekly benefits for new claims, about 170,000 workers whose state benefits expire this year will lose more than $700 million in EUC payments, the U.S. Labor Department said.

sluggo
06-28-2013, 08:15 PM
I've heard more than one person condemn Pat McCrory to hell for this.

angelatc
06-28-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about it. I am all for eliminating the program, but to do so when unemployment is high is politically stupid. They should have slashed benefits when the economy was booming, then nobody would notice or care.

Balancing the budgets on the backs of the unemployed is just a losing platform. Unless, of course, the plan works and people go back to work.....

ItsTime
06-28-2013, 08:19 PM
I would think there would be other places they could cut first? So people pay unemployment insurance then they change the terms?

angelatc
06-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Employers pay it. And if you're self-employed you can't collect. But you still have to pay.

sluggo
06-28-2013, 08:23 PM
They stopped taking federal money to pay extended UE benefits. NC has been running on fumes for a long time now.

AuH20
06-28-2013, 08:39 PM
I would think there would be other places they could cut first? So people pay unemployment insurance then they change the terms?

It's not that simple. Washington wants them to continue down the irresponsible path so as to qualify for EUC. It's a death pact in the long run.

jclay2
06-28-2013, 08:46 PM
I don't give one crap where they cut the spending, just that they actually do cut it. Good on NC for trying to pay down debt. Where do you guys think Washington gets its money? Its all one gigantic debt ponzi scheme

tangent4ronpaul
06-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Glanced at the title and OK, riots in NYC in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... Then realized it was about NC. Do people ever riot there?

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I am all for eliminating the program, but to do so when unemployment is high is politically stupid. They should have slashed benefits when the economy was booming, then nobody would notice or care.

Balancing the budgets on the backs of the unemployed is just a losing platform. Unless, of course, the plan works and people go back to work.....

You know that word we heard several times a minute during election season and haven't heard come out of a politicians mouth since? You know that word: "jobs"...

Yeah, changing the terms of a contract after the fact - NOT COOL!

With the changes to North Carolina law, state benefits will last three to five months — at the longer end when unemployment rates are higher. Qualifying for benefits becomes more difficult. Weekly payments for those collecting the current maximum benefit of $535 drop to $350, falling from the highest in the Southeast to comparable with neighboring states.

OK, so best is ~10,000 a year.
that turns into:
~4,000 a year.

How much is an apartment in NC? Groceries? and lets not forget the mandatory ~$2,000 obamacare tax that will kick in next year.

Can you survive on ~$4,000 a year?

-t

Anti Federalist
06-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Balancing the budgets on the backs of the unemployed is just a losing platform

And kicking comatose old men out of the hospital and deporting them isn't?

Anti Federalist
06-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Employers pay it. And if you're self-employed you can't collect. But you still have to pay.

Which is to say we all pay, in costs that are passed along down the chain.

angelatc
06-28-2013, 09:01 PM
And kicking comatose old men out of the hospital and deporting them isn't?

He was not a citizen.

And there's never going to be a good time to cut medicare. The health system will never be fully funded. Unemployment can be.

angelatc
06-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Which is to say we all pay, in costs that are passed along down the chain.

Yes, but speaking truth, federal unemployment insurance is so cheap that passing it along to the employee would mean very little.

Anti Federalist
06-28-2013, 09:22 PM
He was not a citizen.

And there's never going to be a good time to cut medicare. The health system will never be fully funded. Unemployment can be.

Yes, but speaking truth, federal unemployment insurance is so cheap that passing it along to the employee would mean very little.

I think both could be greatly helped by some application of true "cost benefit" free market choice.

I am in contact all summer with college cadets, and, like health care or taxes or unemployment insurance costs, to a man they cannot tell me how much, bottom line, each year of education costs.

When everybody else pays, "who cares?", I think we agree on that point.

angelatc
06-28-2013, 09:28 PM
I think both could be greatly helped by some application of true "cost benefit" free market choice.

I am in contact all summer with college cadets, and, like health care or taxes or unemployment insurance costs, to a man they cannot tell me how much, bottom line, each year of education costs.

When everybody else pays, "who cares?", I think we agree on that point.

Oh yes, if unemployment insurance didn't exist, people would save more. But the fed does not want us to be saving - they want us stimulating their economy with all our money and more.