PDA

View Full Version : Bottled-water purchase leads to night in jail for U.Va. student

RCA
06-28-2013, 03:09 PM
If you've got nothing to hide...

When a half-dozen men and a woman in street clothes closed in on University of Virginia student Elizabeth Daly, 20, she and two roommates panicked.

That led to Daly spending a night and an afternoon in the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail. Her initial offense? Walking to her car with bottled water, cookie dough and ice cream just purchased from the Harris Teeter in the Barracks Road Shopping Center for a sorority benefit fundraiser.

A group of state Alcoholic Beverage Control agents clad in plainclothes approached her, suspecting the blue carton of LaCroix sparkling water to be a 12-pack of beer. Police say one of the agents jumped on the hood of her car. She says one drew a gun. Unsure of who they were, Daly tried to flee the darkened parking lot.

"They were showing unidentifiable badges after they approached us, but we became frightened, as they were not in anything close to a uniform," she recalled Thursday in a written account of the April 11 incident.

"I couldn't put my windows down unless I started my car, and when I started my car they began yelling to not move the car, not to start the car. They began trying to break the windows. My roommates and I were ... terrified," Daly stated.

Charlottesville Commonwealth's Attorney Dave Chapman read Daly's account and said it was factually consistent.

Prosecutors say she apologized profusely when she realized who the agents were. But that wasn't good enough for ABC agents, who charged her with three felonies. Prosecutors withdrew those charges Thursday in Charlottesville General District Court, but Daly still can't understand why she sat in jail.

"This has been an extremely trying experience," she wrote. "It is something to this day I cannot understand or believe has come to this point."

A gents at ABC's regional office in Staunton deferred to the agency's public affairs office in Richmond. Spokeswoman Carol Mawyer would not provide details of the arrest or ABC's investigative procedures, except to say that all agents wear plainclothes and carry metal badges.

Agents charged Daly with two counts of assaulting a law enforcement officer and one count of eluding police, all Class 6 felonies carrying a maximum penalty of five years in prison and $2,500 in fines per offense.

Chapman said he'd never encountered a situation like this in his 34 years of experience.

"It wouldn't be the right thing to do to prosecute this," he said, noting that no one was hurt during the exchange, which took place around 10:15 p.m.

Daly incurred the assault charges when she "grazed" two agents with her SUV, according to court records. She drove the SUV past the agents after her front-seat passenger, in a panic, yelled at Daly to "go, go, go" and climbed into the rear of the vehicle to gain space from the men on her side of the car, the records state.

The woman was on edge after spending the night listening to stories from dozens of sexual assault survivors at an annual "Take Back the Night" vigil on Grounds, said Daly's defense attorney, Francis Lawrence.

The women dialed 911 as they pulled out of the parking lot to report what was happening and ask whether the agents were police officers. Daly said she was planning to drive to a police station. She stopped the SUV nearby for an agent driving a vehicle with lights and sirens, Chapman said.

Chapman stood by the agents' decision to file charges, citing faith in a process that yielded an appropriate resolution.

"You don't know all the facts until you complete the investigation," he said.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state-regional/bottled-water-purchase-leads-to-night-in-jail-for-u/article_45498018-e019-11e2-b98a-001a4bcf6878.html#.Uc3wwUioDSM.facebook

Carlybee
06-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Guilty until proven innocent.

IDefendThePlatform
06-28-2013, 03:39 PM
I originally typed out a reply with about 15 f bombs in it, but I've taken a deep breath and am now calmer.

The government at all levels is out of control. Disgusting.

Voluntaryism and agorism. No more excuses for initiating violence against another human being.

chudrockz
06-28-2013, 03:42 PM
In that exact situation, I'd have used my truck to run over, and my glock to shoot, as many of my attackers as possible. Hopefully all of them. Prosecute me? Fuck why not, go for it.

WM_in_MO
06-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Tar and feather.

youngbuck
06-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Pigs at the trough.

angelatc
06-28-2013, 03:57 PM
This is why I think sometimes that we're too late.

She apologized to them? She doesn't understand how it escalated to that point. And as a young female college student, odds are that she votes a straight Democrat ticket.

SeanTX
06-28-2013, 04:08 PM
This is why I think sometimes that we're too late.

She apologized to them? She doesn't understand how it escalated to that point. And as a young female college student, odds are that she votes a straight Democrat ticket.

What's voting Democrat got to do with anything? The good ol' boy "law and order" Republicans and conservatives are probably even more responsible for creating the out-of-control police state we have now.

ClydeCoulter
06-28-2013, 04:12 PM
What's voting Democrat got to do with anything? The good ol' boy "law and order" Republicans and conservatives are probably even more responsible for creating the out-of-control police state we have now.

Yeah, I really do wish everyone could get out of the right/left paradigm.

angelatc
06-28-2013, 04:12 PM

It's voting the straight ticket without actually researching the candidate that creates the problem.

Odds are that as she gets older, she'll switch over and vote a straight Republican ticket. Same problem, different color.

angelatc
06-28-2013, 04:14 PM

But they aren't interested in anything except power.

Anti Federalist
06-28-2013, 04:18 PM
A group of state Alcoholic Beverage Control agents clad in plainclothes approached her, suspecting the blue carton of LaCroix sparkling water to be a 12-pack of beer. Police say one of the agents jumped on the hood of her car. She says one drew a gun. Unsure of who they were, Daly tried to flee the darkened parking lot.

"They were showing unidentifiable badges after they approached us, but we became frightened, as they were not in anything close to a uniform," she recalled Thursday in a written account of the April 11 incident.

Who are the terrorists again?

dannno
06-28-2013, 04:25 PM
They would have been safer drinking a fifth of liquor and joy riding around town.

TruckinMike
06-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Edit--

...just thinking out loud

Slutter McGee
06-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Sounds to me that we are missing a key part of the story. The prosecutor investigated. Realized what was going on, and instead of being a "thug or pig" immediately dismissed all charges while even speaking publicly about it instead of trying to cover up the incompetence and misconduct of the officers.

Good for him.

Slutter McGee

tangent4ronpaul
06-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Aren't these the people that usually get a police explorer scout to go in and try to make an underage purchase or ask adults to buy beer/smokes for them and then bust whoever does?

This sounded more like an attempted kidnapping.

She probably would have been better off if she had thrown on her emergency flashers and driven to the police station screaming about men trying to abduct them to 9/11 all the way...

Oh, and there have been reports of guys in fake uniforms and badges pulling people over and robbing them out this way. A uniform means nothing. You are supposed to drive to a police station if you think something isn't right.

Sounds like a nice civil suite, though.

-t

HOLLYWOOD
06-28-2013, 04:55 PM
These are the Actions and polices for the POLICE STATE to justify their existence.

You need busts, headlines, seizures, and press releases of fighting crime; to increase those budgets, to maintain budgets, to justify why taxpayers are FORCED to pay for these raids & charades.

James Madison
06-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Old enough to kill brown people, too young to drink.

green73
06-29-2013, 06:39 AM
When a half-dozen men and a woman in street clothes closed in on University of Virginia student Elizabeth Daly, 20, she and two roommates panicked.

That led to Daly spending a night and an afternoon in the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail. Her initial offense? Walking to her car with bottled water, cookie dough and ice cream just purchased from the Harris Teeter in the Barracks Road Shopping Center for a sorority benefit fundraiser.

"I couldn't put my windows down unless I started my car, and when I started my car they began yelling to not move the car, not to start the car. They began trying to break the windows. My roommates and I were ... terrified," Daly stated.

Charlottesville Commonwealth's Attorney Dave Chapman read Daly's account and said it was factually consistent.

Prosecutors say she apologized profusely when she realized who the agents were. But that wasn't good enough for ABC agents, who charged her with three felonies. Prosecutors withdrew those charges Thursday in Charlottesville General District Court, but Daly still can't understand why she sat in jail.

"This has been an extremely trying experience," she wrote. "It is something to this day I cannot understand or believe has come to this point."

A gents at ABC's regional office in Staunton deferred to the agency's public affairs office in Richmond. Spokeswoman Carol Mawyer would not provide details of the arrest or ABC's investigative procedures, except to say that all agents wear plainclothes and carry metal badges.

Agents charged Daly with two counts of assaulting a law enforcement officer and one count of eluding police, all Class 6 felonies carrying a maximum penalty of five years in prison and $2,500 in fines per offense.

Chapman said he'd never encountered a situation like this in his 34 years of experience.

"It wouldn't be the right thing to do to prosecute this," he said, noting that no one was hurt during the exchange, which took place around 10:15 p.m.

Daly incurred the assault charges when she "grazed" two agents with her SUV, according to court records. She drove the SUV past the agents after her front-seat passenger, in a panic, yelled at Daly to "go, go, go" and climbed into the rear of the vehicle to gain space from the men on her side of the car, the records state.

The woman was on edge after spending the night listening to stories from dozens of sexual assault survivors at an annual "Take Back the Night" vigil on Grounds, said Daly's defense attorney, Francis Lawrence.

The women dialed 911 as they pulled out of the parking lot to report what was happening and ask whether the agents were police officers. Daly said she was planning to drive to a police station. She stopped the SUV nearby for an agent driving a vehicle with lights and sirens, Chapman said.

Chapman stood by the agents' decision to file charges, citing faith in a process that yielded an appropriate resolution.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state-regional/bottled-water-purchase-leads-to-night-in-jail-for-u/article_45498018-e019-11e2-b98a-001a4bcf6878.html

tod evans
06-29-2013, 06:47 AM
Think of the children!

The cops children who would be eating ramen noodles purchased with an EBT card if these idiots didn't have government "jobs". :mad:

Origanalist
06-29-2013, 06:50 AM
Think of the children!

The cops children who would be eating ramen noodles purchased with an EBT card if these idiots didn't have government "jobs". :mad:

Have you made your contribution to tyranny yet this month citizen?

Scrapmo
06-29-2013, 07:02 AM
Prosecutors say she apologized profusely when she realized who the agents were

Of course she did.

Chapman stood by the agents' decision to file charges

Of course she did.

Uriel999
06-29-2013, 07:05 AM
too bad she didnt hurt them...pull a gun on me when I am in a 3000 lb weapon...

roho76
06-29-2013, 07:08 AM
The ABC agency. How fitting.

LibertyEagle
06-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Even if it was beer, how on earth would that justify jumping on someone's hood and pointing a gun at them??????????????????????

This country has gone to total hell. :(

Nobexliberty
06-29-2013, 08:10 AM
This country has gone to total hell. :( Unfixed, sorry LibertyEagle. Check post below why.

LibertyEagle
06-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Fixed

One, please do not edit my quotes and repost them.

Two, I don't care about the "world". I care what is happening in my own country, because that IS my business.

phill4paul
06-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Prosecutors say she apologized profusely when she realized who the agents were. But that wasn't good enough for ABC agents, who charged her with three felonies.

Three felonies a day. Each and everyone of us. Even if THEY have to manufacture them.

spladle
06-30-2013, 03:21 PM
http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/bottled-water-purchase-leads-to-night-in-jail-for-uva/article_b5ab5f62-df9b-11e2-81c4-0019bb30f31a.html

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-30-2013, 03:45 PM
There was a documentary about people in Russia putting fake cop lights on their cars so they can get through traffic, or something. Cops need to be identifiable if they expect people to stop. Otherwise they could be anybody

fisharmor
06-30-2013, 04:01 PM

"It wouldn't be the right thing to do to prosecute this," he said

Thus, the reason I'm not moving out of Virginia.
Considering that Daniel Harmon-Wright is actually doing time, and Virginia Beach has actually had to pony up 5-figure settlements over restricting open carry, we're MILES ahead of the rest of the country.

It's not great here, but it is better.

tod evans
06-30-2013, 04:11 PM
There was a documentary about people in Russia putting fake cop lights on their cars so they can get through traffic, or something. Cops need to be identifiable if they expect people to stop. Otherwise they could be anybody

Yup I like this idea!

Huge red tattoo on their forehead and both hands upon graduation, same for all people who volunteer to suck taxpayer dollars, prosecuting attorneys, judges, hell even fish-n-game, especially all federal agencies...

Oh wait, you're talking about their cars. :o

James Madison
06-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Even if it was beer, how on earth would that justify jumping on someone's hood and pointing a gun at them??????????????????????

This country has gone to total hell. :(

It's for the children. Why do you hate protecting children? Reported.

QuickZ06
06-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Holy hell, Rambo cops there for beer which consists of malted barley and hops and a smiggen of alcohol thrown in there. What do they do when you got moonshine, blast your ass?

satchelmcqueen
06-30-2013, 07:20 PM
i dont see how the cops can wear regular cloths and then charge anyone for trying to defend themselves when they charge toward them. any smart criminal would act like police officer then when they get close, they would rob or kill you.

jclay2
06-30-2013, 07:50 PM
The sad part is that most people would approve of this if the girls were "guilty"(buying an alcoholic beverage...oooo....scary).

QuickZ06
06-30-2013, 08:15 PM
The sad part is that most people would approve of this if the girls were "guilty"(buying an alcoholic beverage...oooo....scary).

Yep they are out there and those cops think they were actually doing something productive when one of them jumped on the hood of a car and pointed a gun at the women like they just robbed a bank and took out half the tellers. Would have been horrible if he had a discharge and killed one of them because he was trying to be an action star while flopping all over the hood of a car. You can join up in the military and kill people, get an abortion, or change your sex but you cannot have an alcoholic beverage until your government says so, seems a bit off.

KEEF
06-30-2013, 08:56 PM
^THIS!

KCIndy
06-30-2013, 10:15 PM

Who are the terrorists again?

Dammit, man, don't you understand? The terrorists hate us for our freedoms! Our Freedoms, I tell ya!! The terrorists just can't stand seeing us be THIS FREE!!!

Let's get a grip, here!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Henry Rogue
06-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Yep they are out there and those cops think they were actually doing something productive when one of them jumped on the hood of a car and pointed a gun at the women like they just robbed a bank and took out half the tellers. Would have been horrible if he had a discharge and killed one of them because he was trying to be an action star while flopping all over the hood of a car. You can join up in the military and kill people, get an abortion, or change your sex but you cannot have an alcoholic beverage until your government says so, seems a bit off.Yeah, these a$$ clowns are acting like lunatics, threatening death and destroying property, for what? under age drinking? To the apologist, it is the institution.

Henry Rogue
06-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Chapman stood by the agents' decision to file charges, citing faith in a process that yielded an appropriate resolution. Bullsh!t, Just being arrested will be on their record.

appropriate resolution. An appropriate resolution would end with all these thugs behind bars.

"You don't know all the facts until you complete the investigation," he said. And if it makes the cops look bad, you will never know.