PDA

View Full Version : Teen makes violent joke during video game, is jailed for months

green73
06-28-2013, 07:41 AM
A Texas teenager who has been in jail since March faces an eight-year prison sentence because of a threatening joke he made while playing an online video game.

In February, Justin Carter was playing “League of Legends” — an online, multiplayer fantasy game — when another player wrote a comment calling him insane. Carter’s response, which he now deeply regrets, was intended as joke.

“He replied ‘Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts,’ and the next two lines were lol and jk,” said Jack Carter, Justin’s father, in a statement to a local news channel.

The statements “lol” and “jk” — meaning “laughing out loud” and “just kidding” — indicate that Justin’s statement was entirely sarcastic, said his father.

But a Canadian woman who saw the post looked up Carter’s Austin address, determined that it was near an elementary school, and called the police. Carter was arrested one month later, and has been in jail ever since. He recently celebrated his 19th birthday behind bars.

Authorities charged him with making a terrorist threat. If convicted, he will face eight years in prison.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/27/texas-teen-makes-violent-joke-during-video-game-is-jailed-for-months/

Nobexliberty
06-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Spanking is more effiecent then a prison sentance. I also need an asswhooping from time to time,stupid liberal laws:mad:

aGameOfThrones
06-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Why aren't there millions of gamers in jail?

Real terrorist...

But a Canadian woman who saw the post looked up Carter’s Austin address, determined that it was near an elementary school, and called the police

jkr
06-28-2013, 07:51 AM
NO
VICTIM

NO
CRIME

PERIOD

and this was initiated from canaduh? since when can they have our children caged for being a reflection of the society that molded them?

fuck canaduh!

Sola_Fide
06-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Thats crazy

juleswin
06-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Spanking is more effiecent then a prison sentance. I also need an asswhooping from time to time,stupid liberal laws:mad:

Spanking? I am thinking more like a chill pill to mellow these guys out. But does it frighten anyone else that a creepy, busybody lady on the internet has the ability to look up your home address via your online game account?

Now that is scary. I say let the boy go, no spanking

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-28-2013, 07:59 AM
This story makes no sense. How does a woman just "look up" your address? And they first talk about it like it's during game chat, then they talk about it like it's on a forum.

Nobexliberty
06-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Spanking? I am thinking more like a chill pill to mellow these guys out. But does it frighten anyone else that a creepy, busybody lady on the internet has the ability to look up your home address via your online game account?

Now that is scary. I say let the boy go, no spanking

Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts. A spanking is well deserved. Atleast i would want my dad to spank me so i won't say something that bad again.

WM_in_MO
06-28-2013, 08:04 AM
This story makes no sense. How does a woman just "look up" your address? And they first talk about it like it's during game chat, then they talk about it like it's on a forum.

That's the scary part.

Philhelm
06-28-2013, 08:46 AM
“He replied ‘Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts,’ and the next two lines were lol and jk,” said Jack Carter, Justin’s father, in a statement to a local news channel.

Uh oh...green73 said it too. Shit, now I did too! We're all going to jail!

Zarn Solen
06-28-2013, 08:51 AM
Quick, join a police force, so you are immune.

Nobexliberty
06-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Quick, join a police force, so you are immune. +1523

PaulConventionWV
06-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Why aren't there millions of gamers in jail?

Real terrorist...

Same thing I was thinking. This is probably the new most absurd thing I have ever read. Literally like every gamer says shit like that every day.

PaulConventionWV
06-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Uh oh...green73 said it to. Shit, now I did too! We're all going to jail!

Out of curiosity, what is your street address and also the street address of the nearest elementary or middle school?

Nobexliberty
06-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Same thing I was thinking. This is probably the new most absurd thing I have ever read. Literally like every gamer says shit like that every day. I am certainly guilty of saying stuff like that every day, maybe not as cruel but absurd stuff indeed.

Philhelm
06-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Out of curiosity, what is your street address and also the street address of the nearest elementary or middle school?

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20500. Why do you ask?

Nobexliberty
06-28-2013, 09:02 AM
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20500. Why do you ask? Now you go to jail for 8 years, if he's a jerk.

Philhelm
06-28-2013, 09:03 AM
I am certainly guilty of saying stuff like that every day, maybe not as cruel but absurd stuff indeed.

With a mere thought, I will destroy the entire world and kill everyone. EVERYONE!!!

Quick, call the police!

Oh wait, I forgot...

lol j/k

Nobexliberty
06-28-2013, 09:04 AM
With a mere thought, I will destroy the entire world and kill everyone. EVERYONE!!!

Quick, call the police!

Oh wait, I forgot...

lol j/k You bring out my wierd sense of humor, or maybe its funny to normal people too, anyway some rep+ for you.

Occam's Banana
06-28-2013, 09:53 AM
I have done nothing wrong, so I have nothing to worry about ...

Demigod
06-28-2013, 09:59 AM
The USA is too politically correct .In Europe a standard chant during games is that you will fuck the referees wife,mother and daughter and that he is a dirty ******(I did not know the forum auto corrected things ).

Nobexliberty
06-28-2013, 10:01 AM
The USA is too politically correct .In Europe a standard chant during games is that you will rape the referees wife,mother and daughter and that he is a dirty ******. Rape references can not be standard in a sane society.

LibertyEagle
06-28-2013, 10:07 AM
The USA is too politically correct .In Europe a standard chant during games is that you will rape the referees wife,mother and daughter and that he is a dirty ******(I did not know the forum auto corrected things ).

I'm glad I'm not in Europe. That is disgusting!

And no, I don't think there should be a law against it, but I would be all for some of the MEN (not metro-sexuals; real MEN) making it clear to the people chanting this that it is NOT acceptable.

Demigod
06-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Rape references can not be standard in a sane society.

I expressed my self badly rape would be a strong word.I edited it.

I'm glad I'm not in Europe. That is disgusting!

Its just taunting the competition.The fans put pressure on the referee and the opposing team,so that the first one would be more biased for the home team and the second ones to perform more poorly.

That is the same thing that the kid did there.He called him a lunatic to trow him off game,the other kid just had a stupid come back and nothing more.

AFPVet
06-28-2013, 10:12 AM
But a Canadian woman who saw the post looked up Carter’s Austin address, determined that it was near an elementary school, and called the police. Carter was arrested one month later, and has been in jail ever since. He recently celebrated his 19th birthday behind bars.

This is a big part of the problem right here. When some people are so foolish that they don't understand what j/k and lol means in relation to a joke (rather poorly constructed, but fictitious nonetheless) then they represent the dumbed down masses who are accessories to this societal destruction.

LibertyEagle
06-28-2013, 10:20 AM
That is the same thing that the kid did there.He called him a lunatic to trow him off game,the other kid just had a stupid come back and nothing more.

Of course I don't think the kid should have been arrested, but I would have expected the parents to talk to him about such idiotic statements. But, way too many parents don't seem to parent, anymore.

In my opinion, kids need to get off their PCs and outside playing some kind of physical game or doing some kind of manual labor to work off some of the excess energy.

I would also like to know what in heck is driving kids to thinking going on a killing spree is some kind of valid option? Something is way out of kilter. It's pretty horrifying.

Nobexliberty
06-28-2013, 10:27 AM
In my opinion, kids need to get off their PCs and outside playing some kind of physical game or doing some kind of manual labor to work off some of the excess energy.
Got me thinking, time to get outside!

tod evans
06-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Of course I don't think the kid should have been arrested, but I would have expected the parents to talk to him about such idiotic statements. But, way too many parents don't seem to parent, anymore.

I would also like to know what in heck is driving kids to thinking going on a killing spree is some kind of valid option? Something is way out of kilter. It's pretty horrifying.

It's all part of the moral decline of society...

Right here on RPF you can read of people being chastised for not thinking or acting in politically correct manners.

Problem with all of this is what's politically correct for one group of people isn't for another.

Inevitably the desire to push one agenda over another leads to violence, arrest or both..

It's a mess and I don't have a solution...:o

Seraphim
06-28-2013, 10:30 AM
God damnit:

But a Canadian woman who saw the post looked up Carter’s Austin address

nobody's_hero
06-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Hell, if they're going to start monitoring video game chatter they don't have enough prisons, lol.

This lady would have an aneurism if she had to listen to 5 minutes of Call of Duty chatter.

WM_in_MO
06-28-2013, 10:52 AM
The minutes in our teamspeak would land me in jail too

QuickZ06
06-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Quick, join a police force, so you are immune.

You don't tell me what to do...o wait.

dannno
06-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Wow, that Canadian lady must have thought she was so smart.. She looked him up and *GASP* he lived near an elementary school!!

Who the hell doesn't live near an elementary school? Those things are like every 10 blocks!!

Thor
06-28-2013, 12:38 PM
I think we need to call the RMCP on a few Canadians... tit for tat.

Let the Great North American Finger Pointing War begin!

aGameOfThrones
06-28-2013, 12:55 PM
In February, I was playing "League of Gosnell" — an online, multiplayer fantasy game — when another player wrote a comment calling me insane. My response, which I now deeply regret, was intended as joke.

“I replied ‘Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go and rent a bus and take willing females to an abortion clinic and pay for their abortion and film the whole process,’ and the next two lines were lol and jk,".

goRPaul
06-28-2013, 01:24 PM
How else do you expect him to get a pentakill?

heavenlyboy34
06-28-2013, 01:35 PM
:D ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA

heavenlyboy34
06-28-2013, 01:39 PM
It's all part of the moral decline of society...

Right here on RPF you can read of people being chastised for not thinking or acting in politically correct manners.

Problem with all of this is what's politically correct for one group of people isn't for another.

Inevitably the desire to push one agenda over another leads to violence, arrest or both..

It's a mess and I don't have a solution...:o
When I was a kid, we made jokes about each other's mothers and opponents' physical features. Every generation thinks the kids are degenerate when they're adults and have forgotten childhood. I must say it's a comedy I couldn't write better myself. :D

tod evans
06-28-2013, 01:45 PM
When I was a kid, we made jokes about each other's mothers and opponents' physical features. Every generation thinks the kids are degenerate when they're adults and have forgotten childhood. I must say it's a comedy I couldn't write better myself. :D

Absolutely!

Whatever happened to "sticks-n-stones'll break my bones"?

Fearmongering, politically correct BS has taken hold..

Natural Citizen
06-28-2013, 02:01 PM
There's so many more fun things to do than play video games.

Nobexliberty
06-28-2013, 02:05 PM
When I was a kid, we made jokes about each other's mothers and opponents' physical features. Every generation thinks the kids are degenerate when they're adults and have forgotten childhood. I must say it's a comedy I couldn't write better myself. :D That does not make it acceptable. The point of childhood is to get "ready" for the adult years, so insults should lead to punishments by the parents.

WM_in_MO
06-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Absolutely!

http://images.betterworldbooks.com/144/Sticks-and-Stones-May-Break-My-Bones-But-Words-Can-Hurt-Forever-Dennison-Trish-9781449055592.jpg

heavenlyboy34
06-28-2013, 02:25 PM
That does not make it acceptable. The point of childhood is to get "ready" for the adult years, so insults should lead to punishments by the parents.
Yeah, punishment is good for things like this...but jail is quite excessive.

heavenlyboy34
06-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Absolutely!

this!!^^

Nobexliberty
06-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Yeah, punishment is good for things like this...but jail is quite excessive. The more people in jail the more dollars printed.

tod evans
06-28-2013, 02:49 PM
That does not make it acceptable. The point of childhood is to get "ready" for the adult years, so insults should lead to punishments by the parents.

Raise your child as you see fit and I'll do the same...

Kids are vicious little monsters that will tease and insult one another.

Parents punishing kids for lipping off only leads to kids who hide their behavior.....Much better to talk with them and set some limits on teasing...

When teasing escalates to physical confrontations that actually injure, then I can see meting out "punishment"..

My adult life doesn't see me "punished" for lipping off and I run with a rough crowd...

Demigod
06-28-2013, 02:59 PM

I can not think of anything else preparing a kid more for an adult life than realizing that people tend to be cruel bastards and that life is brutal.

A parents role is to know when a kid has gone too far and make boundaries.

Nobexliberty
06-28-2013, 03:06 PM
I can not think of anything else preparing a kid more for an adult life than realizing that people tend to be cruel bastards and that life is a brutal thing. How is letting a child talk in a rude manner or cursing teaching him of this cruel world, its lazy parenting and defaitism.

Demigod
06-28-2013, 03:09 PM
How is letting a child talk in a rude manner or cursing teaching him of this cruel world, its lazy parenting and defaitism.

I had a totally different point to make than letting your kid insult other kids and act in a rude manner.I thought that you wanted to say that all kids should not be using insults and treat each other with respect which is never going to happen.

That cruelty can not be eliminated only redirected in a positive direction ( like sports ) in a best case scenario.And trying to eliminate that cruelty from your kid will only make him a big target.

Nobexliberty
06-28-2013, 03:45 PM
I had a totally different point to make than letting your kid insult other kids and act in a rude manner.I thought that you wanted to say that all kids should not be using insults and treat each other with respect which is never going to happen.

That cruelty can not be eliminated only redirected in a positive direction ( like sports ) in a best case scenario.And trying to eliminate that cruelty from your kid will only make him a big target.
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
-Vince Lombardi (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/v/vince_lombardi.html)

We can't make all children behave and treat eachother with respect but if we try we can make a very vast majoirty(95%+) of kids behave and treat other people with respect. And I never meant that we should take their natural aggresivness, only that they should control it. Anyway it is time to sleep, good night.

Seraphim
06-28-2013, 03:51 PM
If this kid is in jail, Quentin Tarrentino should be hung.

I, of course, am not advocating either, at all.

mad cow
06-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
-Vince Lombardi

Vince Lombardi hated Vikings.

TonySutton
06-28-2013, 03:54 PM
So has anyone started a phone call brigade yet? I bet a half million phone calls might jar them to sanity!

Nobexliberty
06-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Vince Lombardi hated Vikings. But his throphy is going to minnesota!

green73
06-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Vince Lombardi hated Vikings.

He put a curse on them. Zero super bowl wins.

green73
06-28-2013, 04:21 PM
But his throphy is going to minnesota!

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/jennifer-lawrence-oh-yeah-thumbs-up.gif