PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Boehner is going to Kill The Bill !

Warlord
06-28-2013, 03:50 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-s-dmKMSScCI/UCEv090J1SI/AAAAAAAAHfM/hs6MygraB3c/s400/raul.jpg

Wow, somehow missed this but Boehner with these comments has said he's happy to kill the immigration bill the senate just passed.

This is a huge victory. He explicitly says even if they passed something and go to conference whatever comes back from conference must have the majority of the majority of Republicans on board. This means anti-amnesty forces just need 120 House Republicans to kill it.

No doubt there's been an uproar in the conference with a special meeting set for July 10th and he's saving his job here. Apparently they made him put this pledge in writing. Good news anyway.

-

Boehner: Hastert Rule Applies

Speaker John Boehner says he will not bring up any eventual House-Senate immigration compromise for a vote unless it has the support of the majority of House Republicans.

“For any legislation — including the conference report — to pass the House it’s going to have to be a bill that has the support of the majority of our members,” Boehner told reporters Thursday.

Here’s what that means in practice: If the House passes piecemeal immigration bills, and then enters into a formal negotiation with the Senate, that product must have the support of the majority of the House’s 234 Republicans.

Boehner aides said it wasn’t a particularly new view, and point out that staff has expressed this view in the past. But Boehner was asked the identical question last week and he said “we’ll see when we get there.”

Boehner made the comments before the Senate passed, 68-32, the immigration reform bill on Thursday afternoon.

Conservatives in Boehner’s House Republican Conference have been pressuring him to adhere to the so-called Hastert rule, which says any bill that comes to the House floor must have a majority of the support of the majority party.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/06/john-boehner-hastert-rule-immigration-93511.html#ixzz2XVFVxkgN

Warlord
06-28-2013, 03:53 AM
Now it's important to keep the pressure up on your congressman over the July 4th recess. Attend town halls, call them, go see them or whatever and make sure they know how you feel.

cindy25
06-28-2013, 05:30 AM
i doubt it

Warlord
06-28-2013, 07:00 AM
i doubt it

those comments are pretty solid dude. He went further than last weeks comments when he mentioned the conference.

Elias Graves
06-28-2013, 07:01 AM
We'll see...

Warlord
06-28-2013, 08:09 AM
We'll see...

its crucial to keep up the pressure on your congressman. If he's GOP make sure he hears from you or even better see's you over July 4th

nobody's_hero
06-28-2013, 10:27 AM
those comments are pretty solid dude. He went further than last weeks comments when he mentioned the conference.

Yeah but they were coming from John Boehner. I bet if I had a teleprompter I could make him say whatever the f*** I wanted. In fact, I know I could.

Elias Graves
06-28-2013, 10:29 AM
its crucial to keep up the pressure on your congressman. If he's GOP make sure he hears from you or even better see's you over July 4th

I agree. Pretty sure they're sick of hearing from me on a whole host of issues by now.
The key at this point is to recruit our less active but sympathetic friends to make their opinions known.

angelatc
06-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Piecemeal = pork. Sigh.

IPSecure
06-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Speaker Boehner is going to Kill The Bill !

Then, come up with something even worse...

Warlord
06-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Then, come up with something even worse...

Keep up
the pressure

on your congressman!

ObiRandKenobi
06-28-2013, 11:18 AM

John Boehner never breaks promises. His word is gold.

Warlord
06-28-2013, 11:22 AM
John Boehner never breaks promises. His word is gold.

Yeah I know... so that's why people need to remain vigilant.

jkr
06-28-2013, 11:34 AM
"paper gold"...

thoughtomator
06-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Boehner has already pulled the "use Dems to pass legislation the GOP caucus in the House doesn't like" trick. Not to be trusted in the slightest.