PDA

View Full Version : Map: States with evil bottle deposit fees

Keith and stuff
06-27-2013, 12:15 PM
States with evil bottle deposit fees

Bottle deposit fees are one of the most annoying government programs ever created. They increase the price of water, soda, fruit juice, tea, beer, wine liquor and much more. Because of them, people go through your trash and make a mess in your yard and in the street. Governments have created all sorts of laws to prevent people that live in a state without such an absurd law from turning in bottles to collect deposits. Unfortunately, people are working hard to increase this annoying program! The program started in the US in1971 in Oregon and won't go away. In a recent survey, the voters of Vermont want to expand the programs! This isn't just a US program either. It's all over the world.

This is a program I've opted out of. I will NOT work for the government for 1 to 5 cents just because the government thinks it can force me to do so.

http://www.bottlebill.org/images/legislation/usamap.png

There are current laws in the following locations:
California
Connecticut
Hawaii
Iowa
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
New York
Oregon
Vermont
Guam

Here are the campaigns to expand this nonsense. If you live in 1 of these states, please get involved to stop this nonsense before it spreads again!

Arizona
California
Hawaii
Iowa
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
New York
South Carolina
Texas
Vermont
http://www.bottlebill.org/legislation/campaigns.htm

Working Poor
06-27-2013, 02:18 PM
When I was a child one of the ways we raised money for outselves was to collect bottles and sell them to our corner store also we had kool aid stands. I guess the elite can't even stand for a child to make a few bucks. I think most of us know about the law shutting down kool aid stands last couple of years.

KEEF
06-27-2013, 02:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1blsZxXDCU

Dr.3D
06-27-2013, 02:40 PM
When I was a child one of the ways we raised money for outselves was to collect bottles and sell them to our corner store also we had kool aid stands. I guess the elite can't even stand for a child to make a few bucks. I think most of us know about the law shutting down kool aid stands last couple of years.

Passed one just the other day. The little gal wasn't getting much business though.

Nobexliberty
06-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Welcome to Sweden, thats our world.

Keith and stuff
06-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Welcome to Sweden, thats our world.
I am so sorry for the Hell that you have to put up with :mad: This stuff is PURE EVIL!

http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/dr_evil.jpg

It could be worse. In the Netherlands, the deposit is MORE THAN THE PRICE of soda itself!

Nobexliberty
06-27-2013, 03:13 PM
I am so sorry for the Hell that you have to put up with :mad: This stuff is PURE EVIL!
It could be worse. In the Netherlands, the deposit is MORE THAN THE PRICE of soda itself! Atleast we have Swedish women to comfort us. But the Netherlands have it worse if they pay more for the deposit then the soda.

KEEF
06-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Atleast we have Swedish women to comfort us. But the Netherlands have it worse if they pay more for the deposit then the soda.
Yeah but weed is legal in the Netherlands right?

jbauer
06-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Brother in law lives in one of those states. The funny thing is he can't "recycle" a bottle that he brought into his state from another state even if he wanted to.

I guess some how they track whether you purchased it in your state or not and since there's no place to get rid of the cans or bottles they end up going in the trash.

Nobexliberty
06-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Yeah but weed is legal in the Netherlands right? Does not make up for it, anyway its 11:15 PM in Sweden, way past my bedtime so good night America.

KEEF
06-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Does not make up for it, anyway its 11:15 PM in Sweden, way past my bedtime so good night America.

Welterusten!

kathy88
06-27-2013, 03:21 PM
I don't mind paying a deposit if the beverage comes in a glass container. Ill pay extra to not ingest petrochemicals.

Keith and stuff
06-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Yeah but weed is legal in the Netherlands right?
Not really legal. The only 2 places I know of in the Western world where weed is legal are CO and WA.

pcosmar
06-27-2013, 03:36 PM

Back then, the manufacturers washed and refilled the bottles. (recycled).
Now they crush them and make new bottles.

I would rather a buy back, than a deposit.

pcosmar
06-27-2013, 03:38 PM
I don't mind paying a deposit if the beverage comes in a glass container. Ill pay extra to not ingest petrochemicals.

The deposit is on cans as well here. 10 cents,, on everything.

mczerone
06-27-2013, 03:51 PM
MI is the worst with a $.10 tax on each bottle. You want a 12 pack for $3.00? That'll be $3.00+1.20+.48 = $4.68 out the door.

The statists say "Well you get the deposit back! You're helping the environment!"

(1) I pay the $.10 on each bottle up front. For conservative estimation, say there are an average of 1mil bottles sold each day - that's $100k into the hands of the State. Then, realistically, only 90% get returned, and the ones that do get returned might sit for an average of 1 month (some people return weekly, others return rarely). That's 1 month of interest that the State can make on $100k - maybe $1000 profit EACH DAY from having control of the deposit money. Plus the 10% that are never returned, that's $11k PER DAY profit to the state and loss to the people. That's a $4million dollar per year swing of money from the private economy to the public.

(2) It costs money to return bottles. Many people (like me) only buy deposit-laden drinks as a "treat" from a gas station while on a trip or something. I can't just keep the bottles in my car and return them on my regular trips, because most gas stations don't have the means to accept returns (even though they are technically supposed to, if they sell them). So the cans sit in my garage until I make a trip to a large grocery store (which I don't usually shop at) to return them.

(3) It takes people's time. Merchants, soda distributors and consumers are given the burden to store, sort, clean, and verify the cans. A consumer returning a few 12-packs or more might spend 15 minutes each week standing returning the bottles, extra time organizing them in their homes, and loading/unloading the empties from their cars. Merchants have to have space to store the returns until the distributor picks them up. Large grocers have invested in huge, expensive machines to keep the process running smooth enough so that they only have to devote a single low-level employee to clean the area and keep the machines running and bins empty. Distributors are tasked with the burden of collecting from merchants and shipping large quantities of dirty, smelly, cans to recycling centers, often on the same trucks as the fresh product they are delivering on their route.

(4) Most areas have dedicated recycling pickup alongside trash pickup now. There's no evidence that the deposit system leads to a net growth in recycling. There's also no evidence that it reduces pollution - my anecdotal experience is that most of the bottles/cans on the roads or in the cities aren't water or juice bottles that don't have deposit, they are beer cans that have a deposit. And in states that don't have deposits, there isn't much more litter of soda cans.

Brian4Liberty
06-27-2013, 03:53 PM
This just becomes a new revenue stream for the State. They will never stop it once they implement it. Most people don't go to the recycling locations to get their money back. And if they do, they often go by weight, which is less money than the actual deposit.

Brother in law lives in one of those states. The funny thing is he can't "recycle" a bottle that he brought into his state from another state even if he wanted to.

I guess some how they track whether you purchased it in your state or not and since there's no place to get rid of the cans or bottles they end up going in the trash.

They could read the fine print on the labels, but they don't pay any attention to that at the recycling centers.

Recycling centers (usually next to grocery stores) become magnets for bums, who scrounge through garbage cans for recyclables, cash in and hang out near the recycling area drinking until unconscious in the bushes or on the sidewalk.

Keith and stuff
06-28-2013, 08:54 AM
You are an awesome person. This bottle deposit crap is an evil game by the elite designed to make people go crazy. +Rep

MI is the worst with a $.10 tax on each bottle. You want a 12 pack for $3.00? That'll be $3.00+1.20+.48 = $4.68 out the door.

The statists say "Well you get the deposit back! You're helping the environment!"

(1) I pay the $.10 on each bottle up front. For conservative estimation, say there are an average of 1mil bottles sold each day - that's $100k into the hands of the State. Then, realistically, only 90% get returned, and the ones that do get returned might sit for an average of 1 month (some people return weekly, others return rarely). That's 1 month of interest that the State can make on $100k - maybe $1000 profit EACH DAY from having control of the deposit money. Plus the 10% that are never returned, that's $11k PER DAY profit to the state and loss to the people. That's a $4million dollar per year swing of money from the private economy to the public.

(2) It costs money to return bottles. Many people (like me) only buy deposit-laden drinks as a "treat" from a gas station while on a trip or something. I can't just keep the bottles in my car and return them on my regular trips, because most gas stations don't have the means to accept returns (even though they are technically supposed to, if they sell them). So the cans sit in my garage until I make a trip to a large grocery store (which I don't usually shop at) to return them.

(3) It takes people's time. Merchants, soda distributors and consumers are given the burden to store, sort, clean, and verify the cans. A consumer returning a few 12-packs or more might spend 15 minutes each week standing returning the bottles, extra time organizing them in their homes, and loading/unloading the empties from their cars. Merchants have to have space to store the returns until the distributor picks them up. Large grocers have invested in huge, expensive machines to keep the process running smooth enough so that they only have to devote a single low-level employee to clean the area and keep the machines running and bins empty. Distributors are tasked with the burden of collecting from merchants and shipping large quantities of dirty, smelly, cans to recycling centers, often on the same trucks as the fresh product they are delivering on their route.

(4) Most areas have dedicated recycling pickup alongside trash pickup now. There's no evidence that the deposit system leads to a net growth in recycling. There's also no evidence that it reduces pollution - my anecdotal experience is that most of the bottles/cans on the roads or in the cities aren't water or juice bottles that don't have deposit, they are beer cans that have a deposit. And in states that don't have deposits, there isn't much more litter of soda cans.

oyarde
06-28-2013, 11:21 AM
This just becomes a new revenue stream for the State. They will never stop it once they implement it. Most people don't go to the recycling locations to get their money back. And if they do, they often go by weight, which is less money than the actual deposit.

They could read the fine print on the labels, but they don't pay any attention to that at the recycling centers.

Recycling centers (usually next to grocery stores) become magnets for bums, who scrounge through garbage cans for recyclables, cash in and hang out near the recycling area drinking until unconscious in the bushes or on the sidewalk.

Easy now, this is one of my retirement plans, except I am bringing a lounge chair to get liqored up in :)

EBounding
06-28-2013, 11:35 AM
I HATE the bottle deposit. I think I have $100 worth of cans in the basement.

smithtg
06-28-2013, 12:31 PM
I live in MI and it sucks. I just accumulate for a good 3-6 months and then yes as you pointed out, go spend MY TIME, to get MY money "BACK". In the meantime the state is spending it on something I don't need. At least interest rates are nothing and they arent earning much on it.

I hate the damn machines that don't read the bar code well. And craft beer? Almost guaranteed the reader is going to reject. My trick is that I know a guy in the back room at a smaller supermarket and when I can't get bottles to read, he just counts them up and gives me a paper receipt that I can cash out in the front.

(4) Most areas have dedicated recycling pickup alongside trash pickup now. There's no evidence that the deposit system leads to a net growth in recycling. There's also no evidence that it reduces pollution - my anecdotal experience is that most of the bottles/cans on the roads or in the cities aren't water or juice bottles that don't have deposit, they are beer cans that have a deposit. And in states that don't have deposits, there isn't much more litter of soda cans.[/QUOTE]

06-28-2013, 01:30 PM

They don't track them here in maine, the redemption place just throws them in a bin. But there is a huge fine for redeeming a bottle from out of state, something like $10k.