PDA

View Full Version : Bob Barr: Obama’s “No-Win” Syrian Adventure

TaftFan
06-26-2013, 08:11 PM
http://townhall.com/columnists/bobbarr/2013/06/26/obamas-nowin-syrian-adventure-n1627701

bolil
06-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Of course it is no win, one side winning cuts down on profit.

jtstellar
06-26-2013, 11:05 PM
so where does bob bob come down on the nsa spying episode? not that i care either way. it's just that him on the nsa side totally wouldn't surprise me

TaftFan
06-26-2013, 11:15 PM
so where does bob bob come down on the nsa spying episode? not that i care either way. it's just that him on the nsa side totally wouldn't surprise me

Against the program. From an email he sent:

OBAMA: “You can’t have 100% security and also then have 100% privacy and zero inconvenience. We’re going to have to make some choices as a society.”

BARR: “Mr. President, you may personally want to sacrifice our constitutionally-guaranteed rights for what you might consider ‘national security,’ but the vast majority of Americans understand doing that is neither necessary nor appropriate. You simply do not violate the law or give up constitutionally-guaranteed rights to justify your actions. As a self-styled constitutional scholar, you should know better; it is shameful and dangerous that you don’t. This is exactly what I was warning about ten years ago. These abuses have been going on too long; they should have been stopped long ago, and they must be stopped now by Congress and by the American people.”

I'm not sure why some people act like he is some great agent against civil liberties. Yes, he voted for the Patriot Act, just like almost everyone else did. He said he disagreed with many parts but felt other parts where needed at the time. But then he had a change of heart because the civil liberties violations were so bad-and for the last 10 years he has been lobbying to protect our civil liberties constantly.

You can read his articles here: http://townhall.com/columnists/bobbarr/

amy31416
06-26-2013, 11:31 PM
Barr can go fuck himself with a paring knife.

Christian Liberty
06-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Its not that he reluctantly voted for the Patriot Act in order to get the sunset in. Its that he supported Newt Gingrich over Ron Paul. I can't take anyone who does this seriously...

TaftFan
06-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Its not that he reluctantly voted for the Patriot Act in order to get the sunset in. Its that he supported Newt Gingrich over Ron Paul. I can't take anyone who does this seriously...

You can take it for what it's worth. I read what he said and with the context of Barr I have little issue with it: http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/27/bob-barr-libertarians-should-vote-for-gingrich/

jtstellar
06-27-2013, 04:14 AM
You can take it for what it's worth. I read what he said and with the context of Barr I have little issue with it: http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/27/bob-barr-libertarians-should-vote-for-gingrich/

achievements, actual track record of getting legislation passed blah blah. right there i already know what he was getting at so i stopped. how about this: supporting ron paul was for a larger vision, because the movement had a future.

if we had compromised our principles as severely by voting for gingrich, he still wouldn't have won presidency but our movement would have gained the permanent mark of hypocrisy, and we would have vanished instantly. no civil libertarian liberals remotely sympathetic to our cause would ever approach us again. no we wouldn't have greenwald as our ally today, and snowden likely wouldn't do what he did if he saw the degree of backbone of the people he had to rely on.

apparently it isn't enough to just call yourself a libertarian, we should really put an IQ bar and charismatic bar on it. people who fail those tests are not qualified to call themselves libertarian leaders, even if they are 90% there in terms of belief. how's that? morons need not apply. idiots please stay the fuck away. i think that will give us a bright future. quite frankly a crap executive is just as bad as someone with bad beliefs. no--it's actually worse. people trust these people for their beliefs, and they are allowed in. then they totally fuck things up. how about just don't proclaim yourself a libertarian in the first place, bob. libertarian spectrum is an ability-first place, sorry, and it has to be, if you want leadership determined by free competition. if you are low on iq, political strategies, vision, or a general sense of what's going on all around you, just join the establishment. too-sexy-for-senate gary johnson's half ass presidential run(vacation) almost falls into that category

Occam's Banana
06-27-2013, 06:04 AM
Barr can go fuck himself with a paring knife.

A paring knife? I would have suggested a running chainsaw.

Your're just too gentle-hearted, Amy! :p;):)