PDA

View Full Version : Tesla - American Made Electric Car Sales being Blocked by States

Cdawg45
06-26-2013, 07:36 PM
I haven't been on here much since the Presidential election, pretty disgusted with the state of political affairs. However, as a fellow Libertarian I thought I should share this information with the forum, because it really pisses me off. There is finally a cool, American made, all electric car that can go 250+ miles on a charge and 0-60 in under 5 seconds and States are trying to block them from selling it direct to the consumer. In some states, such as North Carolina, they are trying to prevent residents from purchasing the car at all! Meaning, they want to block even the sale of this vehicle over the Internet. New York has proposed similar legislation that would block the car from being registered.

What are they so scared of? The American Dealers Association, Big Oil, Detroit, the possibility of freeing ourselves from Middle East oil? It's absolutely ridiculous...but if I know of a group of individuals that are willing to stand up and fight for freedom it is members of this forum.

If you feel the actions being taken by the states is unjust, please feel free to sign the petition:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-tesla-motors-sell-directly-consumers-all-50-states/bFN7NHQR

If you have never heard of this car manufacturer, check them out...It's amazing
http://www.teslamotors.com/

Thanks for your time,
Shawn

bolil
06-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Tesla must be behind on their payments. Nothing a little grease wouldn't fix, and if they don't play ball they won't play at all.

JK/SEA
06-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Anyone in here own a Tucker?....

Cdawg45
06-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Anyone in here own a Tucker?....

The post was focused more on the corruption that is taking place at a state level. If you think the technology is a failure that is fine, but I presume you would disagree with the actions the states are taking. I think the question would be, does anyone in here own a Ford?...

angelatc
06-26-2013, 09:04 PM
The post was focused more on the corruption that is taking place at a state level. If you think the technology is a failure that is fine, but I presume you would disagree with the actions the states are taking. I think the question would be, does anyone in here own a Ford?...

I own two.

Tesla is run by Elon Musk, a billionaire who didn't feel the need to invest his own money in the project - instead, he took government money to finance this venture. If there were interest in this car, private capital would have flowed into the market, but instead, we taxpayers get to finance the experimental phase, but we'll reap none of the financial rewards should he become successful.

But I'm supposed to cry because he's facing a "corrupt" system. Not. Gonna. Happen.

I'll be buying another Ford, thank you.

liberty2897
06-26-2013, 09:05 PM
It pisses me off too. I'm not in the market for a new car (I prefer the old ones that don't get slammed into trees by the CIA /s?), but I do appreciate the technological advances and individualism that Tesla has rolled out. I would sign the petition if I was in the habit of begging the whitehouse to do something, but I just can't bring myself to do it. ...for any reason whatsoever.

Qdog
06-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Its simple. A huge chunk of their tax revenue comes from gas taxes. I think its something like half of the cost of a gallon of gas goes to taxes. If people start driving very fuel efficient cars, or electric cars etc. they lose revenue. Just follow the money, and it is all very clear.

georgiaboy
06-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Saw a Tesla sport sedan in the ATL a few weeks ago. Cool looking car.

Needs to be given the freedom to grow.

fearthereaperx
06-26-2013, 09:21 PM
I haven't been on here much since the Presidential election, pretty disgusted with the state of political affairs. However, as a fellow Libertarian I thought I should share this information with the forum, because it really pisses me off. There is finally a cool, American made, all electric car that can go 250+ miles on a charge and 0-60 in under 5 seconds and States are trying to block them from selling it direct to the consumer. In some states, such as North Carolina, they are trying to prevent residents from purchasing the car at all! Meaning, they want to block even the sale of this vehicle over the Internet. New York has proposed similar legislation that would block the car from being registered.

What are they so scared of? The American Dealers Association, Big Oil, Detroit, the possibility of freeing ourselves from Middle East oil? It's absolutely ridiculous...but if I know of a group of individuals that are willing to stand up and fight for freedom it is members of this forum.

If you feel the actions being taken by the states is unjust, please feel free to sign the petition:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-tesla-motors-sell-directly-consumers-all-50-states/bFN7NHQR

If you have never heard of this car manufacturer, check them out...It's amazing
http://www.teslamotors.com/

Thanks for your time,
Shawn

How much are they paying? Or is this like street team, get the word out program?

Cdawg45
06-26-2013, 09:25 PM
I own two.

Tesla is run by Elon Musk, a billionaire who didn't feel the need to invest his own money in the project - instead, he took government money to finance this venture. If there were interest in this car, private capital would have flowed into the market, but instead, we taxpayers get to finance the experimental phase, but we'll reap none of the financial rewards should he become successful.

But I'm supposed to cry because he's facing a "corrupt" system. Not. Gonna. Happen.

I'll be buying another Ford, thank you.

That is hypocritical, considering Ford took a 5.9 million dollar government loan in 2009, with no plans to start repaying it until 2012... Tesla, paid off their government loan 9 years early with interest making them the only American car company to have fully repaid the government. Musk invested an estimated 48 million of his own money into the company and just recently purchased 100 million worth of stock to raise additional capital.

fearthereaperx
06-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Can some one explain the business model? How are these supercharger stations and battery swap stations not going to depreciate and lose money over time without putting dent in their bottom line?

Why would anyone want to wait 30 minutes for half a charge at these stations?

Why would anyone want to keep $20k batteries in inventory collecting dust waiting for the next rich guy traveling out of town to make a swap?

Cdawg45
06-26-2013, 09:45 PM
The supercharger stations will be powered by solar, resulting in about a net 0 cost to run them. It is estimated that it will cost 150k per station, which is very cheap, because they have negotiated with owners of malls, shop owners, ect that allowing them to place these charging stations on their property will attract wealthy client to the area, so it is a win-win for both Tesla and the property owners.

If you are willing to wait 20-30minutes, the charge is free. If you are in a rush, they announced last Thursday that they can do a full battery swap in 90 seconds at a cost of $60-$80.

I'm just a huge fan of Tesla and the work they are doing. I have high hopes that this technology can get us energy independent, and just want to get the word out about it the way I did when Ron Paul was running.

JK/SEA
06-26-2013, 10:10 PM

well, you would really have to research what happened to the Tucker. Similar political, and Corporate entity's put a halt to the production of the advanced car called the Tucker.

Wooden Indian
06-26-2013, 10:51 PM
75-80k for a car?

"Look at all the money I'm saving!!" LOL

If you have the scratch, more power to ya. But until the tech comes down in price, forget about a large public demand.

Keith and stuff
06-26-2013, 10:57 PM
This is shameful! New Hampshire recently brought an amendment forward and passed it on a bill so that now Tesla or any similar company may sell cars in New Hampshire directly to consumers. I'm not sure if NH is the first state to do this or not. Pretty much, we don't care for giant corporations or their crap in NH.

Hassan Signs 'Dealers' Bill Of Rights'
http://www.nhpr.org/post/hassan-signs-dealers-bill-rights
http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/nhpr/files/201306/IMG_2868.JPG

sonica
07-03-2013, 02:28 AM
I thought the Government were behind the American car industry. They've made a big mistake in my opinion

sonica
07-03-2013, 02:29 AM
Doesn't sound like the American Government are helping much there
car service (http://www.servicingstop.co.uk)