PDA

View Full Version : Court Rules Starbucks Baristas Must Share Tips With Shift Supervisors

CaseyJones
06-26-2013, 03:20 PM
http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/06/26/court-rules-starbucks-baristas-must-share-tips-with-shift-supervisors/

Starbucks baristas must share their tips with shift supervisors, but assistant managers are left out in the cold, New York’s highest court ruled Wednesday.

The Court of Appeals found that shift supervisors do much of the same work as the coffee servers and therefore get to share in the tips. The court also ruled the company can deny those tips to assistant managers.

The ruling, responding to two lawsuits, backed Starbucks’ policy of divvying up the tips, saying it’s consistent with labor law.

dannno
06-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Wow, talk about micromanaging the economy.

puppetmaster
06-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Stupid

I<3Liberty
06-26-2013, 03:51 PM
While it sounds like it would put a damper on Baristia paychecks, you actually make more as a Barista (even with this change) than most other relevant jobs. I was going to be a barista because they make more than the other cafe baristas and cashiers at my uni, get a discount, and free coffee grounds every week. ^_^ They also have really nice employee benefit packages if you work full time. Other places just offered minimum wage, no discounts, tips, or anything else.

anaconda
06-26-2013, 03:58 PM
In California, management can't share in the tips. But they can direct the staff how to share it among those that service the customers directly.

Occam's Banana
06-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Wow, talk about micromanaging the economy.

SMGDH. If there was ever a case for "just let the free market sort it out," this is it.

I don't know which group pisses me off more: the courts that make such rulings - or the plaintiffs who give them the chance to do so.

DGambler
06-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Am I living in Atlas Shrugged?

Ed Snowden is John Galt at this 10 seconds in time.

bolil
06-27-2013, 12:03 AM
And here is how the free market should respond, if there were any actual cooperation amongst humans: Starbucks baristas quit en masse, and no ones takes their place. Shift managers forced to learn how to cow tow to yuppies.

BAllen
06-27-2013, 01:32 AM
And here is how the free market should respond, if there were any actual cooperation amongst humans: Starbucks baristas quit en masse, and no ones takes their place. Shift managers forced to learn how to cow tow to yuppies.

That won't happen. There's always someone who will do it. I had a friend whose son delivered pizzas. He used to make pretty good money because he got a commission off of each order. Then, mgmt. decided they'd only pay commission on one order for each trip. He quit, but no shortage of idiots willing to take his place. That is why there is a need for unions. The only other option would be to reduce regulations to the point where workers could have their own business.