PDA

View Full Version : House Conservatives to Revive Effort for Constitutional Gay Marriage Ban

Lucille
06-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Oh FFS. Of course, what they should be doing is getting the govt out of the marriage business, but they'd rather play culture wars.

House Conservatives to Revive Effort for Constitutional Gay Marriage Ban
http://reason.com/24-7/2013/06/26/house-conservatives-to-revive-effort-for

House conservatives will seek to re-introduce a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage following the Supreme Court’s decision to strike down the Defense of Marriage Act on Wednesday.

Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.) said he and other lawmakers would begin efforts to revive the Federal Marriage Amendment in the coming days.

“A narrow radical majority of the court has, in my opinion, substituted their personal views for the constitutional decisions of the American voters and their elected representatives,” Huelskamp said at a conservative event sponsored by the Heritage Foundation.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/140446.html

Of course, DOMA is unconstitutional, since marriage is none of the federal government's business. Under the present system, it is a state issue. Of course, it is actually none of any government's business. Marriage--like every other contract--should be privatized, with people free to make the contracts they choose, so long as no one else's rights are violated.

It was an ill day when government began to take marriage over in the 18th century. Marriage antedates government, and unlike government, is socially beneficial.

The extension of federal payments to new classes is an unhappy development, but typical of the supremes. And note that the idea that nine lawyers can determine constitutionality is a usurpation and mentioned nowhere in the constitution.

The constitution itself was a coup, marking a huge step-up in central government power. If we are to be saddled with a national government, let it be under the far-more libertarian articles of confederation.

When something like marriage is made a matter of state, it's a license to stick your nose into other people's business. When it's private, you need not worry if some people want polygamy, or gay marriage, or Protestant marriage, or Catholic marriage, or Hindu marriage. Live and let live is possible. The state, on the other hand, always seeks to divide and rule.

Carlybee
06-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Lalalalalala

WM_in_MO
06-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Not surprised.

EBounding
06-26-2013, 02:47 PM
The government's spying on us.

Warlord
06-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Futile really.

KEEF
06-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Hey government quit trying to distract me with stupid stuff that just panders to your bases. How about you show some bipartisanship and work on the "Governement Get the Fuck Out of My and Anyone Else's Personal Life Bill"

Christian Liberty
06-26-2013, 02:57 PM
For some reason I still don't like the phrase "live and let live" since it sounds too much like Wicca, and it sounds to much like actually supporting every behavior that doesn't aggress against someone rather than merely making them legal.

Homosexuality, drugs, and prostitution should all be legal, but they are still evil. A better phrase for my ideology would be something more like "If its not violent, don't be violent to stop it" or something along those lines.

As for the issue itself, Rockwell is of course correct, I just don't really like the phrase, and I never have.

Christian Liberty
06-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Hey government quit trying to distract me with stupid stuff that just panders to your bases. How about you show some bipartisanship and work on the "Governement Get the Fuck Out of My and Anyone Else's Personal Life Bill"

What would this bill contain?

Lol!

KEEF
06-26-2013, 02:59 PM
What would this bill contain?

Lol!
It would be the shortest bill in history. Simply one page, 18 point font that simply has the title of my bill.

thehungarian
06-26-2013, 03:00 PM
What a fucking sideshow. So dumb.

06-26-2013, 03:22 PM
This is a sure fire loser for them. They need to just let it go or face big trouble in the midterms next year.

heavenlyboy34
06-26-2013, 03:31 PM
And you thought libertarians spent excessive time on issues that aren't exactly burning. :rolleyes: R.I.P., conservatism. Thou art useless and an exercise in folly.

Carlybee
06-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Yep because at this point it just makes them look petty.

Brian4Liberty
06-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Distraction from more important issues. They really want everyone to forget about the IRS, NSA and DOJ scandals.

Brian4Liberty
06-26-2013, 03:52 PM
The government's spying on us.

I forget, wasn't there something about that in the news a while back?

HOLLYWOOD
06-26-2013, 03:55 PM
lol... yeah right... this is 110% campaign mode legislation to keep the unsuspecting GOP/Republican serfs/mundane pushed further right... because we all know... This Ain't Goin Nowhere!

http://d1ovi2g6vebctw.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/reidobama.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=HceB6Xm_IC3EvM&tbnid=b4sHeHg-SNhZFM:&ved=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ijreview.com%2F2013%2F01%2F29 536-senator-reid-signals-obama-screw-the-constitution-congress-and-the-debt-ceiling%2F&ei=DWPLUa2RNeSEjAK3z4DIAg&bvm=bv.48340889,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNF5yo5HMV_z-9XBQy3Yk_4gfFvs0g&ust=1372370054988944)

jmdrake
06-26-2013, 03:56 PM
And you thought libertarians spent excessive time on issues that aren't exactly burning. :rolleyes: R.I.P., conservatism. Thou art useless and an exercise in folly.

Agreed. This is retarded. So is pushing for an anti-abortion amendment. Regardless of what may think on either issue, there's no way such an amendment would ever pass let alone be ratified. It's all grandstanding. Simply start repealing federal laws that dole out benefits based on marriage and be done with it. Someone had the right idea a while back. Use the term "beneficiary designee".

06-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Agreed. This is retarded. So is pushing for an anti-abortion amendment. Regardless of what may think on either issue, there's no way such an amendment would ever pass let alone be ratified. It's all grandstanding. Simply start repealing federal laws that dole out benefits based on marriage and be done with it. Someone had the right idea a while back. Use the term "beneficiary designee".

We're getting closer on abortion. Public opinion was recently more against than for, for the first time since the 70's. It's still years away though.

Mr.NoSmile
06-26-2013, 04:33 PM
This is a sure fire loser for them. They need to just let it go or face big trouble in the midterms next year.

This, pretty much. People will definitely remember those who vote for this. As if the correct solution is to keep moving further right.

Lucille
06-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Rep. Amash Warns GOP About Conservative Youth Support for Gay Marriage
http://reason.com/24-7/2013/06/26/rep-amash-warns-gop-about-conservative-y

Rep. Justin Amash does not want Republicans to say anything stupid about gay marriage.

During Wednesday morning’s House Republican Conference meeting, according to multiple sources in the room, the Michigan Republican stood up and told his GOP colleagues they should watch what they say about gay marriage.

Amash was concerned that some Republicans might make the wrong remark just after the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 Wednesday that the Defense of Marriage Act was unconstitutional and that California’s Proposition 8, which banned gay marriage, would be overturned.

According to sources in the room, he warned Republicans in the closed-door meeting that younger conservatives support gay marriage.

Despite Amash’s plea, a number of conservatives held a news conference Wednesday to denounce the court’s decision. Among the 12 Republican lawmakers in attendance was tea party darling Michele Bachmann of Minnesota, who issued a press release earlier in the day saying, “Marriage was created by the hand of God. No man, not even a Supreme Court, can undo what a holy God has instituted.”

They don't care about young conservatives. They have blue-haired retired boomers who vote for a living to pander to.

ThePenguinLibertarian
06-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Oh FFS. Of course, what they should be doing is getting the govt out of the marriage business, but they'd rather play culture wars.

House Conservatives to Revive Effort for Constitutional Gay Marriage Ban
http://reason.com/24-7/2013/06/26/house-conservatives-to-revive-effort-for

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/140446.html
Another liberty candidate destroyed by power. First it was Rand, then it was bentevolio, now its huelskamp..

ThePenguinLibertarian
06-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Rep. Amash Warns GOP About Conservative Youth Support for Gay Marriage
http://reason.com/24-7/2013/06/26/rep-amash-warns-gop-about-conservative-y

They don't care about young conservatives. They have blue-haired retired boomers who vote for a living to pander to.
Young conservatives don;t want to be made fun of in school anymore. THey think if they were more mainstream, then they would have more friends. THey should be for this stupid piece of legislation, because it means they have spine, they have integrity and consistency. It means Ron Paul's fight and personality has spread amongst the young. But no, the tide of hipster 15 year olds obsessed with being hedonistic sheep under the guise of being "themselves" or being "special" has killed whats left of the what could have been.

erowe1
06-27-2013, 12:43 PM
They don't need to amend the Constitution. They could just pass something like Ron Paul's We the People Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legislation_sponsored_by_Ron_Paul#We_the_People_Ac t). Then SCOTUS wouldn't have any authority to overrule DOMA.

Keith and stuff
06-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Dumb, dumb dumb.

Rep. Tim Huelskamp seems like such a smart fella. I wish him well. He will need a lot of wishes, though. I don't think I have enough wishes to help him...

Keith and stuff
06-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Young conservatives don;t want to be made fun of in school anymore. THey think if they were more mainstream, then they would have more friends. THey should be for this stupid piece of legislation, because it means they have spine, they have integrity and consistency. It means Ron Paul's fight and personality has spread amongst the young. But no, the tide of hipster 15 year olds obsessed with being hedonistic sheep under the guise of being "themselves" or being "special" has killed whats left of the what could have been.

Or, young conservatives tend to have friends that participate in same sex sexual behavoir, if they don't do it themselves. Since we all know people (I know dozens) that have or do participate in same sex sexual behavior, they are humanized to us. We see that they aren't evil people. Plus, there is the whole small government thing that some youth at least, take seriously. I'm gonna #StandWithRand on this issue for now.

kathy88
06-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Tap dancing chickens.