PDA

View Full Version : MA-5 now an open seat following Markey's election as Senator

Gage
06-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Potential liberty candidates in MA-5? Is Leah Cole in MA-5?

Edit: Looks like Leah is in MA-6.

Mr.NoSmile
06-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Potential liberty candidates in MA-5? Is Leah Cole in MA-5?

No, she's not- she's from the 12th. And no, she shouldn't. She just got the State Rep seat. Let her enjoy that for awhile.

Aratus
06-25-2013, 07:44 PM
lets try to win this one!
100,ooo thanx, Gage!!!
G.Gomez is eloquent, now.
he's like Mitt. defeat is
a counter to all conceit.

Bch2014
06-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Markey won this district in the senate race with 66.3% of the vote. This district is hopeless. The 6th and 9th districts are the best hopes in MA. There may be some chance in the fourth except for the fact that it is held by a Kennedy.

TaftFan
06-25-2013, 11:30 PM
We've got a lot of races already that are in R districts that Paul supporters will ignore. No need for losing efforts in D districts.

Gage
06-25-2013, 11:37 PM
We've got a lot of races already that are in R districts that Paul supporters will ignore. No need for losing efforts in D districts.

Leah Cole wouldn't be in office now if that attitude was adopted.

TaftFan
06-25-2013, 11:45 PM

Was a Democrat elected the prevous time in her district? By what margins?

The fact is: you focus on winnable races when your resources are extremely limited. All of that money that goes to John Dennis every two years likely could have elected a couple of other people.

wormyguy
06-25-2013, 11:46 PM

Leah Cole was in a district that voted for Scott Brown twice and Charlie Baker for governor in between and only won with a little over a third of the vote because a well-known Democrat ran as an independent. Ed Markey's district, which she does not reside in, is the second most Democratic district in Massachusetts. Yes, that Massachusetts. It's a district that's more Democratic than Alabama is Republican. It is, by definition, a hopeless waste of money and effort.

TaftFan
06-25-2013, 11:50 PM
Ed Markey's lowest winning % since 1994 was 66% in 2010, during the Tea Party wave. In 2012 he got 75% of the vote.

Again, we have winnable races. Ron Paul had an educational campaign fot President, but that simply doesn't happen on small scales. People barely pay attention as it is. For crying out loud, Ron only got 20-something percent in the Republican presidential primary in his own district!

AJ Antimony
06-26-2013, 08:24 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TaftFan again.

thoughtomator
06-26-2013, 08:31 AM
I'm of the belief that the best strategy is to challenge every possible race. If there's a libertarian candidate, let's give support him or her, even if we can't spare much in the way of resources to help. If the other team is playing defense it diverts their resources from other races elsewhere.

Keith and stuff
06-26-2013, 08:34 AM
I enjoyed this thread. Thank you everyone. TaftFan +Rep

Bastiat's The Law
06-26-2013, 08:36 AM
I'm of the belief that the best strategy is to challenge every possible race. If there's a libertarian candidate, let's give support him or her, even if we can't spare much in the way of resources to help. If the other team is playing defense it diverts their resources from other races elsewhere.
Not only that, but we get to promote our ideas. I think it's still worth running in difficult districts as long as we all know its an education campaign softening up the electorate for future elections. Plus it helps to give our people much needed experience running a campaign, speaking to crowds, etc. Their name also gets out there so they can run for something more realistic in the future.

muzzled dogg
06-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Two time Ron Paul delegate to the RNC announced a exploratory committee on fb last night but I don't think he plans on running in either major party

Bastiat's The Law
06-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Two time Ron Paul delegate to the RNC announced a exploratory committee on fb last night but I don't think he plans on running in either major party
That's a non-starter unless they're a millionaire and/or have 30 years of top-flight name recognition within the state.

Keith and stuff
06-26-2013, 11:12 AM
That's a non-starter unless they're a millionaire and/or have 30 years of top-flight name recognition within the state.
You are right. There is a lessor chance that he will get media coverage. Otherwise, it's about the same as running Republican in that district. Tons of so called undeclared voters in MA, but Unlike near-by ME, RI and VT, it doesn't have a strong recent history of electing independents to higher office.

Krzysztof Lesiak
06-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Yeah, this is going to be an impossible race. How about the 1st district in Alabama? The current congressman is resigning in August or so. It's a very conservative district, so the primary winner is a shoo in.