PDA

View Full Version : Colorado counties move forward with plans to secede

Warlord
06-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Representatives of 10 rural Colorado counties met Monday in the sleepy plains town of Akron, about a half an hour from the Kansas border, to advance a plan that has been both hailed and ridiculed in recent weeks: A bid to split from Colorado and form the country’s 51st state.

Eye-rolling critics have dubbed the state-to-be “Weldistan,” after the county leading the charge and alluding to the heavily conservative values of the northeast region considering secession.

Proponents have called it an inevitable result of what they say is a loss of representation in Denver, where Democrats have controlled state government and, in the minds of many rural Coloradans, ignored them in favor of liberal, urban interests.

Questions about how to proceed with such a rare initiative as starting a new state covered a wide spectrum at Monday’s meeting. They ranged from whether to include like-minded counties in Nebraska and Kansas to how to ensure, if the effort is successful, that urban areas in the newly formed state wouldn’t also begin to ignore less-populated areas and become yet another out-of-touch capital.

But for all the uncertainty, there was one common thread: barely veiled anger at how rural counties perceive they’ve been treated by the Democrat-controlled state legislature this year.

Weld County Commissioner Sean Conway called it “a nightmare session.”

“This was the worse legislative session I’ve ever seen,” he said, “how they treated people, how they called bills up on the same day without giving people a chance to testify.”

Colorado has made national headlines this year in having passed a full slate of progressive laws, including tough new gun-control laws, new rights for illegal immigrants, regulations for legal marijuana, and many other controversial pieces of legislation.

Several commissioners said the back-breaker was Senate Bill 252, a new measure that requires rural electrical cooperatives to double the amount of renewable energy they offer to customers by 2020. Gov. John Hickenlooper recently signed it into law, despite heavy lobbying to veto it. The bill’s opponents say it will increase rural customers’ electricity bills by mandating what they say are unrealistic — and expensive — goals.

Many of the more than two dozen county commissioners attending the meeting noted that SB 252 was their final straw.

“[Senate Bill] 252 is a perfect example of where they rammed it down our throat,” said Yuma County Commissioner Trent Bushner. “They turned a blind eye to satisfy [Hickenlooper’s] buddies in the environmental groups.”

“I’m excited about what we can learn from this and where we can take it,” he said, “but quite honestly, I want this to be a shot across the bow for them to start listening to us.”

Like some others, Bushner wasn’t convinced that a statehood bid would be successful, even though Weld County Attorney Bruce Barker said that it was a fairly straightforward process — at least from a legal perspective.

The first step, he said, was for each county’s citizens to vote to officially exclude their county from the state of Colorado. Once those votes were conducted, counties that passed the secession measure — assuming they all shared a border — would ask voters from all of Colorado to amend the Colorado Constitution to remove their combined area from the state, and require that the state legislature submit a formal request that Congress recognize its 51st member.

If that statewide measure passes, and Congress agrees to enter it into the union, “North Colorado” — or whatever official name is eventually chosen — will be created.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/25/rebellious-colorado-counties-move-forward-with-plans-to-secede/#ixzz2XGj9sFUj

Warlord
06-25-2013, 04:15 PM
There's a lot of assumptions there: the rest of CO have to agree (which they won't) and so does Congress (which they won't). So it's improbable.

TaftFan
06-25-2013, 04:23 PM
We need to support this. Two more Republican Senators.

VIDEODROME
06-25-2013, 04:24 PM
I hear some people think Michigan should split between the Peninsulas. Da Yoopers don't feel totally represented by Lansing.

Anti Federalist
06-25-2013, 04:29 PM
I hope the whole stinking mess comes apart at the seams, north, south, east and west.

Long live the Kingdom of Jones.

heavenlyboy34
06-25-2013, 04:32 PM
There's a lot of assumptions there: the rest of CO have to agree (which they won't) and so does Congress (which they won't). So it's improbable.
Hey, free country. :rolleyes:

torchbearer
06-25-2013, 04:40 PM
um, da masters aren't going to give you permission.
is this some kind of thing where we can do this now, so we can later say- well we did ask you nicely?

tod evans
06-25-2013, 04:46 PM
I really like this idea....

Rural states with their own representation..

jllundqu
06-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Oh yeah.... let's get it on secessionists!

Seraphim
06-25-2013, 04:56 PM
TBH there's a better solution.

State Unity against the Feds and come hell or high water the States stick together and tell the Feds to fuck off.

Much better than a break up of the Union.

That would be horrible for the world.

I hope the whole stinking mess comes apart at the seams, north, south, east and west.

Long live the Kingdom of Jones.

Seraphim
06-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Also, the globalist powers that control the Fed Govt are ABSOLUTELY attempting to break the USA up.

DON'T HAND IT TO THEM!

First Federal Tyranny and then outright collapse.

Keep the Union together through State diplomacy. Destroy the Federal Gov't.

State Unity against the Feds and come hell or high water the States stick together and tell the Feds to fuck off.

Occam's Banana
06-25-2013, 05:10 PM

And ten years ago - hell, only five - it would have been said to be improbable (or even impossible) that something like this could ever have gotten even this far.

So, please - let's not hear any "summer soldier" nay-saying to do with "assumptions" and "improbabilities" and so forth.

Onward to nullification, separation, repudiation, decentralization, localization, secession.

Inch ... by inch ... by inch ...

Origanalist
06-25-2013, 05:29 PM
And ten years ago - hell, only five - it would have been said to be improbable (or even impossible) that something like this could ever have gotten even this far.

So, please - let's not hear any "summer soldier" nay-saying to do with "assumptions" and "improbabilities" and so forth.

Onward to nullification, separation, repudiation, decentralization, localization, secession.

Inch ... by inch ... by inch ...

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Origanalist
06-25-2013, 05:30 PM

Oh please do tell, how so?

06-25-2013, 05:39 PM
We need to support this. Two more Republican Senators.

yes please

helmuth_hubener
06-25-2013, 05:41 PM
We need to support this. Two more Republican Senators. That is the lamest possible anti-reason for supporting this I can imagine.

I support it 1000% of course. For non-lame reasons. :)

TheTexan
06-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Also, the globalist powers that control the Fed Govt are ABSOLUTELY attempting to break the USA up.

No... they are trying to create a NWO. Breaking up the USA into its member states, is opposite of that

A Son of Liberty
06-25-2013, 07:29 PM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7hOixU38oKia7ZrC5mXwWmO2zajj_i 1wpiOWI9_fd5hEX_YYUFQ

HOLLYWOOD
06-25-2013, 07:51 PM
We need to support this. Two more Republican Senators.Exactly why this won't happen. As I recall, California was to breakup, but never gets anywhere. The Marxist want complete control

supermario21
06-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Weldistan voted to legalize marijuana despite giving Mitt Romney a big win in Weld County. It would be a pretty free place.

TaftFan
06-25-2013, 08:00 PM
That is the lamest possible anti-reason for supporting this I can imagine.

I support it 1000% of course. For non-lame reasons. :)

I'm pretty interested in getting ObamaCare repealed. Though I know some deny a Republican Senate won't do it, I don't care to discuss their theories.

Anti Federalist
06-25-2013, 08:46 PM

I fail to see how.

In every way that matters, we have become what Reagan called the USSR back in the day:

An Evil Empire.

The world would be better off if the US national government was tossed on the ash heap of history, a rusty relic of WWII that is best discarded.

Just like the Kremlin was 25 years ago.

helmuth_hubener
06-27-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm pretty interested in getting ObamaCare repealed. Though I know some deny a Republican Senate won't do it, I don't care to discuss their theories.

Do you consider yourself a blind partisan?

Darguth
06-27-2013, 11:08 AM
I hear some people think Michigan should split between the Peninsulas. Da Yoopers don't feel totally represented by Lansing.

I was born, raised, and currently live in Michigan and I haven't heard of any secessionist inklings here. There are a LOT of areas that don't feel represented in Lansing, the Yoopers aren't alone in that. Hell, I live about 45 minutes South of Lansing, and I don't feel represented. The Capitol is very Metro Detroit-oriented.

jkob
06-27-2013, 11:23 AM
give the UP back to Wisconsin! I bet Ohio doesn't even want Toledo anymore.

Czolgosz
06-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Secede! Don't ask permission ffs. Put up the signs and create your organizations.

CO is close enough for me to move and provide security...and it doesn't suck as much as NH.

WM_in_MO
06-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Free people don't ask permission

TaftFan
06-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Do you consider yourself a blind partisan?

No, I just see things as they are.

helmuth_hubener
06-27-2013, 02:33 PM
No, I just see things as they are.

Good. Then surely you can see things exactly as they are, since that's what you do. Let's look at some history to throw some illumination on things as they really are.

The Democrats passed the New Deal. The Republicans claimed to hate it. The Republicans have since been in power on multiple occasions. There were no attempts made to repeal the New Deal.

The Democrats passed the EPA. The Republicans claimed to hate it. The Republicans have since been in power on multiple occasions. There were no attempts made to repeal the EPA.

The Democrats passed the Department of Education. The Republicans claimed to hate it. The Republicans have since been in power on multiple occasions. There were no attempts made to repeal the Department of Education.

The Democrats got the US involved in the Vietnam War. The Republicans claimed to hate it. Richard Nixon got into office on a promise to end the war. There was no attempt made to end the Vietnam War. It was instead escalated and lasted many more years even in the face of extreme unpopularity.

I think it likely that this Obamacare, like the New Deal, is now a permanent fixture of the Federal Government and that within a few years the battle lines will shift and no serious Republican will be calling for the repeal of Obamacare. Why, that would be kooky! Republicans don't want to end Social Security, ahem, I mean Obamacare, what a vicious lie, we want to save it!

KEEF
06-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Exactly why this won't happen. As I recall, California was to breakup, but never gets anywhere. The Marxist want complete control
But isn't it though? at about 2cm a year via the San Andreas Fault.;)

Keith and stuff
06-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Secede! Don't ask permission ffs. Put up the signs and create your organizations.

CO is close enough for me to move and provide security...and it doesn't suck as much as NH.
Why does New Hampshire suck? My biggest complaint about New Hampshire is there is too much water. There are lakes, ponds, rivers and streams everywhere. Not to mention the ocean. There is all of this water because it rains in NH just about every week, sometimes, 2-5 times a week. When it doesn't rain, it often snows. Seriously, I understand that it is important that a state have lots of water to help with tourism and in case SHTF but we have and get at least twice as much water as we need in NH.

Czolgosz
06-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Why does New Hampshire suck? My biggest complaint about New Hampshire is there is too much water. There are lakes, ponds, rivers and streams everywhere. Not to mention the ocean. There is all of this water because it rains in NH just about every week, sometimes, 2-5 times a week. When it doesn't rain, it often snows. Seriously, I understand that it is important that a state have lots of water to help with tourism and in case SHTF but we have and get at least twice as much water as we need in NH.

I jest, but put simply, it's the opposite in weather and geographic location. So, for *me* it sucks. :D

Nobexliberty
06-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Lie to the pope and say you are doing it for the catholic chruch. Hope he helps with money to build a topnotch state and then tell him you lied. He will not see it coming.

heavenlyboy34
06-27-2013, 03:11 PM
No... they are trying to create a NWO. Breaking up the USA into its member states, is opposite of that
This^^

heavenlyboy34
06-27-2013, 03:13 PM
I fail to see how.

In every way that matters, we have become what Reagan called the USSR back in the day:

An Evil Empire.

The world would be better off if the US national government was tossed on the ash heap of history, a rusty relic of WWII that is best discarded.

Just like the Kremlin was 25 years ago.
Indeed. Throw it in the woods!

Keith and stuff
06-27-2013, 03:17 PM
I jest, but put simply, it's the opposite in weather and geographic location. So, for *me* it sucks. :D

You live in the AZ/CA/NV/NM/TX desert at low elevation?

It is hard to get used to all of the water of NH. Geographically, it's a great place to be, though. It has valleys, lakes, mountains, rivers and the ocean. There are more trees than you can shake a stick at. It even borders another country and has unguarded crossings, if you are into that sorta thing.

Not to mention that NH is the most important state, politically and has trains that go to Boston, NYC and DC. I think the plan is to connect the DC to Burlington, VT train to Montreal, again, eventually. It has buses that go to Boston and NYC. 3 commercial airports and the Boston airport is only 35 minutes away. That's not bad considering how few people live here.

rpfocus
06-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Yawn. The only successful secession will be when the residents of the Southwest decide to secede to Mexico. See: Mecha and their goals regarding Aztlan. Drive through a border state and count the Mexican flags. Where do their loyalties lie?

torchbearer
06-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Yawn. The only successful secession will be when the residents of the Southwest decide to secede to Mexico. See: Mecha and their goals regarding Aztlan. Drive through a border state and count the Mexican flags. Where do their loyalties lie?

if you are the owner of the southwest, that could be a problem for you.

heavenlyboy34
06-27-2013, 10:55 PM
You live in the AZ/CA/NV/NM/TX desert at low elevation?

It is hard to get used to all of the water of NH. Geographically, it's a great place to be, though. It has valleys, lakes, mountains, rivers and the ocean. There are more trees than you can shake a stick at. It even borders another country and has unguarded crossings, if you are into that sorta thing.

Not to mention that NH is the most important state, politically and has trains that go to Boston, NYC and DC. I think the plan is to connect the DC to Burlington, VT train to Montreal, again, eventually. It has buses that go to Boston and NYC. 3 commercial airports and the Boston airport is only 35 minutes away. That's not bad considering how few people live here.
Do you gt hurricanes and other severe weather in NH?

Occam's Banana
06-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Good. Then surely you can see things exactly as they are, since that's what you do. Let's look at some history to throw some illumination on things as they really are.

The Democrats passed the New Deal. The Republicans claimed to hate it. The Republicans have since been in power on multiple occasions. There were no attempts made to repeal the New Deal.

The Democrats passed the EPA. The Republicans claimed to hate it. The Republicans have since been in power on multiple occasions. There were no attempts made to repeal the EPA.

The Democrats passed the Department of Education. The Republicans claimed to hate it. The Republicans have since been in power on multiple occasions. There were no attempts made to repeal the Department of Education.

The Democrats got the US involved in the Vietnam War. The Republicans claimed to hate it. Richard Nixon got into office on a promise to end the war. There was no attempt made to end the Vietnam War. It was instead escalated and lasted many more years even in the face of extreme unpopularity.

I think it likely that this Obamacare, like the New Deal, is now a permanent fixture of the Federal Government and that within a few years the battle lines will shift and no serious Republican will be calling for the repeal of Obamacare. Why, that would be kooky! Republicans don't want to end Social Security, ahem, I mean Obamacare, what a vicious lie, we want to save it!

Pish-posh! Weren't you paying attention, HH? TF does not care to discuss your "theories" ,,,

I'm pretty interested in getting ObamaCare repealed. Though I know some deny a Republican Senate [would] do it, I don't care to discuss their theories.

What was the slogan used regarding Obamacare during the 2012 Presedential campaign by the Republican nominee?

Oh, yes! I remember now. It was "repeal and replace" ...

When something as wishy-washy as "repeal and replace" is the starting point for formal Republican opposition, you know that the ending point is going to be acquiesence and acceptance. Just as HH pointed out was the ending point of Republicans for the New Deal, the EPA, the DoE, etc.

The Republicans are gutless wonders. This is not theory. This is historically demonstrated fact. If you wan't a real shot at neutralizing Obamacare, look not to the U.S. Congress or the Republicans therein. Look to the states & localities - it is there that the federal War on Drugs is being repudiated. It is there that the balls of things like REAL ID have been cut off. With any luck, it will be there that Obamacare will be emasculated, too. It sure as hell isn't going to happen in the U.S. Senate (two new Republican senators or not) ...

VoluntaryAmerican
06-27-2013, 11:23 PM
South Jersey should do the same.

oyarde
06-27-2013, 11:31 PM
I was born, raised, and currently live in Michigan and I haven't heard of any secessionist inklings here. There are a LOT of areas that don't feel represented in Lansing, the Yoopers aren't alone in that. Hell, I live about 45 minutes South of Lansing, and I don't feel represented. The Capitol is very Metro Detroit-oriented.

Well , 1858 Citizens of the UP first , considered secession to be the State of Superior, again a push in 1897 , sixty years later , Mackinac Bridge , Yoopers vs Trolls, in the1970's, 1980's signatures of over 20 k were collected for the UP sucession from Michigan to become the 51 st State , 36k were needed and they never got them . Shame .

oyarde
06-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Sugar Creek Township , Shelby County, In voted 2/16 /1861 in favor to secede from the Union.

helmuth_hubener
07-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Bump. Keep going, Northern Colorado! We're all behind you! It's an awesome and beautiful place, by the way. Is Fort Collins part of the proposed new state?

Keith and stuff
07-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Bump. Keep going, Northern Colorado! We're all behind you! It's an awesome and beautiful place, by the way. Is Fort Collins part of the proposed new state?

No, it is just over the county line from Weld County. Though, I doubt a bunch of urban (and suburban) Democratic voters or their elected officials would be so mad at the Democrats helping legalize marijuana, greatly increasing gun laws and increasing business regulations that they would go through all of the effort that has been gone through so far with this project. http://www.politico.com/2012-election/results/president/colorado/

Larimer County, Colorado (with Ft. Collins and Loveland) http://goo.gl/maps/ZeB0C

Matthew5
07-11-2013, 09:41 PM
So just to get this straight...they're tired of being underrepresented....so they want to join the Unites States as the 51st state?

They don't like people in the same state telling them what to do, but a Federal body is ok?

Keith and stuff
07-11-2013, 11:30 PM
So just to get this straight...they're tired of being underrepresented....so they want to join the Unites States as the 51st state?

They don't like people in the same state telling them what to do, but a Federal body is ok?
Yes. States are allowed a great deal of discretion. Clearly not CO or any state near it but 13 East Coast states created the federal government, after all. Then states get to decide if counties have discretion or not. Unlike the balance of power between states and the US government, there is no question about the balance of power between states and counties. Everyone agrees, states hold 100% of the power and counties hold none. The only possible exception is the county sheriff in some states, but that's not the case in CO because of a new state law.

Matthew5
07-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Obama would have to renege on his denial of state's rights to secede before admitting them to the union.

Mani
07-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Well , 1858 Citizens of the UP first , considered secession to be the State of Superior, again a push in 1897 , sixty years later , Mackinac Bridge , Yoopers vs Trolls, in the1970's, 1980's signatures of over 20 k were collected for the UP sucession from Michigan to become the 51 st State , 36k were needed and they never got them . Shame .

I was born and raised in WI, and always heard about the UP folks desire to get succession, and I know a lot of WI folk would have been happy to get the UP as part of WI as well.

Matt Collins
07-12-2013, 02:27 AM
The problem is that they want a state wide referendum on whether they are allowed to leave Colorado. ha, like that'll go anywhere