PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Bradley Manning get a trial like Zimmerman?

randpaul2016
06-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Just wondering. Honest question, I don't know that much how this stuff works...But I live in FL and they are showing State vs. Zimmerman on TV...They even showed some pictures in which you wont see again on the news.

Can you guys break this down for me?

oyarde
06-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Just wondering. Honest question, I don't know that much how this stuff works...But I live in FL and they are showing State vs. Zimmerman on TV...They even showed some pictures in which you wont see again on the news.

Because he was in the Army.Have own justice system , authorized by Congress . Called , UCMJ.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-25-2013, 12:43 PM

I thought Zimmerman was already tried in the media.

Occam's Banana
06-25-2013, 12:56 PM
As oyarde pointed out, Manning is in the military, so he gets a court martial, rather than a court civilian.

As for why the Zimmerman trial is getting so much more attention in the press than the Manning trial ...

The Zimmerman trial is, basically, a "safe" one for the system to cover in excruciating detail. It keeps people divided, it stokes racial tensions, etc. These are all things that government and the media can exploit for their own advantage. Thus, it is an ideal subject for pundits and blowhards to gabble breathlessly about. It doesn't pose any real risk of putting the government or the "system" in a bad light - at least, not in a way that can't be exploited to the system's ultimate advantage.

The Manning trial, on the other hand, intimately involves issues such as whistle-blowing and war crimes - things that the government and its media lackeys do NOT want the public to be paying any attention to. The process of chucking Manning down the memory hole begins by just ignoring him as much as possible.

Todd
06-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Because he was in the Army.Have own justice system , authorized by Congress . Called , UCMJ.

in addition: Military lives by somewhat different standards than civilians do. The question of "public trial" has never really come up. When you join the military just realize there is a limit to your "rights".

kcchiefs6465
06-25-2013, 01:12 PM
I thought Zimmerman was already tried in the media.
On another note, I would have beat the dog shit out of my "attorney" had he opened up with a knock knock joke.

That right there ought to be grounds for an appeal. Who does that? At a murder trial no less..

Sam I am
06-25-2013, 01:18 PM
bradly manning Actually did have a trial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Bradley_Manning) which I believe is still going on

KEEF
06-25-2013, 01:19 PM
On another note, I would have beat the dog shit out of my "attorney" had he opened up with a knock knock joke.

That right there ought to be grounds for an appeal. Who does that? At a murder trial no less..
Hey Judge, KNOCK KNOCK...
Who's there?
BOO
Boo who?
Why you crying judge? It is just a joke... no but seriously, my client pleads not guilty. Have a great night everyone, drive home safe, my next show is at 7:00.

kcchiefs6465
06-25-2013, 01:30 PM
bradly manning Actually did have a trial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Bradley_Manning) which I believe is still going on
After 1,000 days of which some were naked in solitary, he pled guilty to a couple of the charges.

He is still facing life in prison, the trial has been closed to the media and all press passes rejected.

ETA: Nine months was in solitary where he was stripped from his clothes. Over 1,000 days in pretrial detention.

kcchiefs6465
06-25-2013, 01:34 PM
What does the UCMJ have to say about fair and speedy trials? (assuming it trumps the Constitution, which it apparently does, though I admit I am not too knowledgeable on Court Martial proceedings and the UCMJ) Just wondering how a man can be kept for over 1,000 days in "pretrial detention?"

TonySutton
06-25-2013, 02:07 PM
And since we are talking about journalists not covering the Manning trial here is a nice read about a journalist who actually is at the trial as she slams the NYTimes for using her work while calling her an activist instead of a journalist.

http://boingboing.net/2013/06/25/nyt-quotes-and-links-to-work-o.html

Alexa O'Brien, the independent journalist who has been doggedly covering the Bradley Manning case and has been in court every day at Ft. Meade, doing what the New York Times hadn't—covering the pretrial hearings every day from court— wrote a scathing letter to the Times after they published this piece updating the legal proceedings against Wikileaks and Mannings, but referred to her as "an activist." The Times article has a lot of new information about the case, and it's worth reading. But O'Brien's letter is well worth a read, too:

kcchiefs6465
06-25-2013, 02:13 PM
And since we are talking about journalists not covering the Manning trial here is a nice read about a journalist who actually is at the trial as she slams the NYTimes for using her work while calling her an activist instead of a journalist.

http://boingboing.net/2013/06/25/nyt-quotes-and-links-to-work-o.html
I am not sure what I read. I was under the impression all press passes were denied. When I looked it appears 270 of 350 were denied. Crowd funded stenographers were denied passes and some witness testimony will be done in secret.

randpaul2016
06-25-2013, 02:25 PM

o ya i forgot, same thing with all the rape cases in the military...

randpaul2016
06-25-2013, 02:28 PM
I am not sure what I read. I was under the impression all press passes were denied. When I looked it appears 270 of 350 were denied. Crowd funded stenographers were denied passes and some witness testimony will be done in secret.

wow

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-25-2013, 02:31 PM
As oyarde pointed out, Manning is in the military, so he gets a court martial, rather than a court civilian.

As for why the Zimmerman trial is getting so much more attention in the press than the Manning trial ...

The Zimmerman trial is, basically, a "safe" one for the system to cover in excruciating detail. It keeps people divided, it stokes racial tensions, etc. These are all things that government and the media can exploit for their own advantage. Thus, it is an ideal subject for pundits and blowhards to gabble breathlessly about. It doesn't pose any real risk of putting the government or the "system" in a bad light - at least, not in a way that can't be exploited to the system's ultimate advantage.

Do not forget that they have a gun control interest there as well. It's very important. This entire case has been a lesson in media manipulation from the start.

I haven't watched any of it... but yeah, that sounds pretty iffy.

kcchiefs6465
06-25-2013, 02:43 PM
I haven't watched any of it... but yeah, that sounds pretty iffy.
I put off watching it because I figured it was just MSNBC PC hype but my God, THIS is his attorney?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cykCfynh36s

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-25-2013, 02:56 PM
I put off watching it because I figured it was just MSNBC PC hype but my God, THIS is his attorney?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cykCfynh36s

Yeah, that was bad... and how could he not know it was bad while spending 40 seconds setting it up like that??

Zimmerman did a disservice to himself by getting fat again. He looks more like the original media pics showing him in orange. If he were smart or being coached properly, he would have become even skinnier by now than he was at the time of the altercation.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-25-2013, 02:59 PM
I think the bottom line is this... If Zimmerman is found guilty, they will use it to further attack "stand your ground" laws. If Zimmerman is found not guilty, they will use it to further attack "stand your ground" laws.

So, like Occam's Banana said, it is "safe" for the media, but I think the plan goes a lot deeper than that.

kcchiefs6465
06-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Yeah, that was bad... and how could he not know it was bad while spending 40 seconds setting it up like that??

Zimmerman did a disservice to himself by getting fat again. He looks more like the original media pics showing him in orange. If he were smart or being coached properly, he would have become even skinnier by now than he was at the time of the altercation.
Didn't he hire this guy? I don't think it was a public pretender.

I feel bad for him. Who starts opening proceeding of a very publicized and emotionally charged murder trial with a knock knock joke? It would have been all my strength not to jump over the table at him. I don't even know if incompetent is the word.

kcchiefs6465
06-25-2013, 03:08 PM
I think the bottom line is this... If Zimmerman is found guilty, they will use it to further attack "stand your ground" laws. If Zimmerman is found not guilty, they will use it to further attack "stand your ground" laws.

So, like Occam's Banana said, it is "safe" for the media, but I think the plan goes a lot deeper than that.
There will probably be looting if Zimmerman is found not guilty. People are going to be pissed.

To me what it boils down to is what right did Zimmerman have to accost the teen? To chase the teen down? Any attack on his person was not unprovoked and thus truly not justifiable as self defense. Was he in fear for his life? Probably. Would he have actually been killed had he not shot the teen? Probably not. But the issue to me is that he is the one who provoked the confrontation. You have no right to stop and interrogate anyone simply because of, well just because. He thought he was a pig but low and behold, you don't have a badge and do that kind of shit, end up shooting someone, you are getting charged with murder.

I am not sure what he should be convicted of. At the end of the day someone died because of the confrontation he provoked.

The trial is a no win. People will be pissed no matter what. They'll probably settle for a voluntary manslaughter or likewise crime and sentence him to a few years, all of which suspended with 10 years probation. Blacks will say it is injustice and probably rightfully so. I feel no sympathy towards the man aside from what a spectacle it has all become and that his lawyer is a goddamn idiot. I'd hate to face the time he is facing with someone like that representing me. In fact, I'd be filing a motion to dismiss his ass and to find another lawyer. Whether it would be granted, maybe not, but I wouldn't stand for it.

"14 years counselor... 14 years"

In all seriousness, the "attorney" is playing games with a man's life. The man he is supposed to represent to the fullest extent of his capability. I'm just stunned he would start the day with a knock knock joke.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Didn't he hire this guy? I don't think it was a public pretender.

Who would expect a wannabe cop to be great at hiring lawyers? I think we're expecting more out of him than he has the skill set for.

As for your commentary in the next post, I've always felt much the same. It's not a "stand your ground" case when you're following someone around. The media made it into a "stand your ground" case, and then his lawyers went with that as well. It's really not, and never was.

CPUd
06-25-2013, 04:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPy5WygQOkM