PDA

View Full Version : If You Have Not Pledged To Ben Swann's Kickstarter What Is Stopping You?

ItsTime
06-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Serious question. Looking for feedback.

Link to his Kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/439668500/liberty-is-rising-truth-in-media-project-0

Carlybee
06-25-2013, 09:56 AM
I've stated I will try before the deadline. I've been hit from all directions between donating to the Red Cross for West, Texas and the Oklahoma food bank for the tornados, and personal unexpected medical bills. Kind of hard to justify funding a business venture at the moment. Not everyone has unlimited disposable income. Our health insurance contribution went up 90% this year and our salaries are stagnant. Food costs have skyrocketed. That's my situation. Priorities.

Carlybee
06-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Honestly he needs some big donations if he is going to reach that goal...maybe hit up some liberty leaning celebrities...not sure who?

jllundqu
06-25-2013, 10:52 AM
I've stated I will try before the deadline. I've been hit from all directions between donating to the Red Cross for West, Texas and the Oklahoma food bank for the tornados, and personal unexpected medical bills. Kind of hard to justify funding a business venture at the moment. Not everyone has unlimited disposable income. Our health insurance contribution went up 90% this year and our salaries are stagnant. Food costs have skyrocketed. That's my situation. Priorities.

This... it's rough out there.

dannno
06-25-2013, 10:54 AM
If my health insurance goes up 90% I'm switching to catastrophic. Unfortunately I'll miss the huge subsidy from my company, but it will still be a lot cheaper, unless catastrophic coverage is completely unaffordable now too..

Carlybee
06-25-2013, 11:01 AM
If my health insurance goes up 90% I'm switching to catastrophic. Unfortunately I'll miss the huge subsidy from my company, but it will still be a lot cheaper, unless catastrophic coverage is completely unaffordable now too..

If you are going to switch try to do it before the Obamacare options become available in October and you may be able to lock in a rate for a year. After Jan rates could increase as high as 80%. You can buy supplemental accident insurance as well.

cajuncocoa
06-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Honestly he needs some big donations if he is going to reach that goal...maybe hit up some liberty leaning celebrities...not sure who?

Vince Vaughn? (http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/2013/06/vince-vaughn-i-really-do-like-ron-paul-165490.html)

Bastiat's The Law
06-25-2013, 12:00 PM
This and the Brannon moneybomb will tap me out for a while.

Carlybee
06-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Vince Vaughn? (http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/2013/06/vince-vaughn-i-really-do-like-ron-paul-165490.html)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?48469-List-of-Libertarian-Celebrities

List of Libertarian celebs but that was from 2007 so not sure how accurate it is now

Origanalist
06-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Lack of work. But I think I just scored a couple of months worth, WHOOOHOOOO!

jtap
06-25-2013, 03:22 PM
I certainly understand people not wanting to pledge money to it. I don't want to pledge any more than I have already for a couple of reason.

I don't really like the idea that we are just giving him the money to create a business that he could potentially profit from. I would be willing to invest far more if my money was worth shares in the company. On the other hand, if he can't get 12,499 more people to donate 100 bucks then there just aren't enough folks that care. How well will the venture actually do? How will it continue to generate income to pay himself and the staff once this start up money runs out?

I like the idea and his journalism is top notch but if 1.25 million only buys 100 episodes of real journalism and a website and it is just going to fizzle out, then it would be a waste to go along with being a shame that people didn't appreciate it and possibly not enough were exposed to it. It's a gamble and an experiment and there are a lot of unknowns.

psi2941
06-25-2013, 03:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqZ65pUQxyQ
Thats why

RDM
06-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Thats why

This video was made by the "parody" news site "The Onion".

No wonder this country is falling apart. Thanks Dept of Education. Thank you.

randpaul2016
06-25-2013, 05:27 PM
wow 1 donated $10,000+

ItsTime
06-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Thats why

There is a generational change in how American's view journalists. For people under the age of 35, the majority say they get their news from.. wait for it... the Daily Show! That tells me two things.

1. Americans under the age of 35 consider “comedians” journalists

2. Americans under the age of 35 consider “journalists” a joke

In this case The Onion.

But why would you think this is a scam?

VoluntaryAmerican
06-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Thats why

You're kidding right?

I will pledge soon after I pay off some credit card bills.

TheGrinch
06-25-2013, 09:42 PM
I certainly understand people not wanting to pledge money to it. I don't want to pledge any more than I have already for a couple of reason.

I don't really like the idea that we are just giving him the money to create a business that he could potentially profit from. I would be willing to invest far more if my money was worth shares in the company. On the other hand, if he can't get 12,499 more people to donate 100 bucks then there just aren't enough folks that care. How well will the venture actually do? How will it continue to generate income to pay himself and the staff once this start up money runs out?

I like the idea and his journalism is top notch but if 1.25 million only buys 100 episodes of real journalism and a website and it is just going to fizzle out, then it would be a waste to go along with being a shame that people didn't appreciate it and possibly not enough were exposed to it. It's a gamble and an experiment and there are a lot of unknowns.

If Ben can create a profitable business by exposing the truth about the things that no other journalist will touch, then I don't see any issue with that.

Even if you doubt it's efficacy, one can still consider their donation to be a thank you for all that he has done and continues to do for the causes of liberty and the dying profession of investigative journalism.

Finally, he wants us to contribute, because he wants this to be our voice, not some big investors mouthpieces like the rest of the media.

VoluntaryAmerican
06-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Finally, he wants us to contribute, because he wants this to be our voice, not some big investors mouthpieces like the rest of the media.

Exactly. Put up or shut up.

TheTexan
06-25-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm not donating because I think he'll be preaching to the choir. As far as educating the masses goes, the problem isn't inadequate content. We have content. Great content. Lots of it.

The masses just don't want to watch it.

nayjevin
06-25-2013, 11:06 PM
I'm not donating because I think he'll be preaching to the choir. As far as educating the masses goes, the problem isn't inadequate content. We have content. Great content. Lots of it.

There's an upper limit to the potential but I'm not sure we've seen it. It will roll out right when it's needed most - the issues going on now are in many ways bigger, more interesting for the average people than in the past. More people are paying attention, and this series will be top notch in credibility, accuracy, and talent. It's also possibly going to be on Netflix.

It seems to me that we've needed something like it for a long time. Freedom Watch had a limited audience who could accept it, and it was an hour long, so really not for anyone who isn't into politics. This should be different, and Ben Swann is unique in that a wide variety of people will rally behind what he does - because the truth is refreshing and popular.

mport1
06-25-2013, 11:17 PM
It is a sad statement about the state of the liberty movement if this can't get funded.

fr33
06-26-2013, 12:28 AM
I can't put this on my credit card or paypal right now because my wife would kill me since we have a vacation coming up, but I will be able to before the deadline.

Does kickstarter automatically charge you or does it wait until the deadline?

TheGrinch
06-26-2013, 12:31 AM
I can't put this on my credit card or paypal right now because my wife would kill me since we have a vacation coming up, but I will be able to before the deadline.

No, you will only be charged after the deadline, and only if the goal is met. You can also change the amount of your pledge, so there's no reason not to put in what you plan to donate [/guilttrip]

ItsTime
06-26-2013, 07:55 AM

No, you will only be charged after the deadline, and only if the goal is met. You can also change the amount of your pledge, so there's no reason not to put in what you plan to donate [/guilttrip]

TheGrinch is exactly right.

jtap
06-26-2013, 07:58 AM

I also think he will be preaching to the choir but his preaching is some of the best and I support that.

If Ben can create a profitable business by exposing the truth about the things that no other journalist will touch, then I don't see any issue with that.

Even if you doubt it's efficacy, one can still consider their donation to be a thank you for all that he has done and continues to do for the causes of liberty and the dying profession of investigative journalism.

I don't see an issue with it except that I'm not really sure he can do it. If he can create a profitable business though, why not let us be investors instead of just funding him since he can't do it without us? There is not much incentive to getting in on the ground floor of this for people. Right now it just seems like a fraction of the people who really love him getting the truth into video form have donated...or worse, all the people that really love what he does have donated, in which case that is not many.

It is a sad statement about the state of the liberty movement if this can't get funded.

Agreed. And quite saddening.

ItsTime
06-26-2013, 08:06 AM
If he can create a profitable business though, why not let us be investors instead of just funding him since he can't do it without us? There is not much incentive to getting in on the ground floor of this for people. Right now it just seems like a fraction of the people who really love him getting the truth into video form have donated...or worse, all the people that really love what he does have donated, in which case that is not many.

In an interview the other day he said he would rather have this project fail with 100,000 $1 pledges than succeed with 20 $100,000 pledges (not exact quote but close). It would be hard to believe that he has not been in talks with Fox, CNN or any other host of major MSM outlets.

Bastiat's The Law
06-26-2013, 08:44 AM
There's an upper limit to the potential but I'm not sure we've seen it. It will roll out right when it's needed most - the issues going on now are in many ways bigger, more interesting for the average people than in the past. More people are paying attention, and this series will be top notch in credibility, accuracy, and talent. It's also possibly going to be on Netflix.

It seems to me that we've needed something like it for a long time. Freedom Watch had a limited audience who could accept it, and it was an hour long, so really not for anyone who isn't into politics. This should be different, and Ben Swann is unique in that a wide variety of people will rally behind what he does - because the truth is refreshing and popular.
I completely disagree. I was just watching an old Freedom Watch episode and the Judge was flying through an important issue, which I'm sure being on TV calls for being that you only have so many seconds/minutes for each segment, but I wanted a more in-depth discussion. Maybe I'm a nerd, but I love watch many of the programs C-SPAN runs because they go further in-depth for hours at a time. Can you imagine an all-star liberty panel dissecting things day in and day out for however long it takes to discuss? I'd love that kind of discussion.

PSYOP
06-26-2013, 10:15 AM
He'll be lucky if he even hits 500k. I'm not really surprised really, there's been virtually no advertising of this business adventure outside of RPF as far as I'm concerned other then YouTube. We need big donors -- and big donors don't love liberty.

Maximus
06-26-2013, 12:26 PM

The point is that you'll have a professional, credible, non-weird video on an issue you could share with anyone.

ItsTime
06-26-2013, 12:52 PM
He'll be lucky if he even hits 500k. I'm not really surprised really, there's been virtually no advertising of this business adventure outside of RPF as far as I'm concerned other then YouTube. We need big donors -- and big donors don't love liberty.

He has been on many talk shows including Peter Schiff's and many more are planned.

He is going to be on The Simon Conway Show tomorrow, RT tonight, AMA on Reddit tonight, Alex Jones early next week...

angelatc
06-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Maybe a better way to phrase the question is, "What would it take to get you to donate?"

A promise to investigate the Hastings death? A free t-shirt?

ItsTime
06-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Maybe a better way to phrase the question is, "What would it take to get you to donate?"

Good question angelatc and good suggestion.

FYI there are free t-shirts at the $75 level.

RDM
06-26-2013, 02:39 PM
He has been on many talk shows including Peter Schiff's and many more are planned.

He is going to be on The Simon Conway Show tomorrow, RT tonight, AMA on Reddit tonight, Alex Jones early next week...

He'll be speaking live in Iowa this Friday night! The event is almost sold out so if you would like attend you better get those tickets.

Join Liberty Iowa and Ben Swann for the "Liberty Is Rising" event at the Embassy Suites in downtown Des Moines! (101 E Locust St Des Moines, IA 50309) Doors open at 6:00 and the program starts at 6:50. Come see Ben Swann and other liberty champions speak, and take part in this revival of the principles of freedom within the state. Liberty is Rising!

http://libertyiowabenswann.eventbrite.com/

Bastiat's The Law
06-26-2013, 02:45 PM
He'll be speaking live in Iowa this Friday night! The event is almost sold out so if you would like attend you better get those tickets.

Join Liberty Iowa and Ben Swann for the "Liberty Is Rising" event at the Embassy Suites in downtown Des Moines! (101 E Locust St Des Moines, IA 50309) Doors open at 6:00 and the program starts at 6:50. Come see Ben Swann and other liberty champions speak, and take part in this revival of the principles of freedom within the state. Liberty is Rising!

This is probably worthy of a separate thread.

heavenlyboy34
06-26-2013, 02:47 PM
WRT thread title- 1) I'm currently out of extra funds 2) I don't know enough about the cause to want to donate

ItsTime
06-26-2013, 03:25 PM

Then in GA the next day :D

psi2941
06-26-2013, 04:05 PM
This video was made by the "parody" news site "The Onion".

No wonder this country is falling apart. Thanks Dept of Education. Thank you.

I don't think you understood my humor.

I like Benn Swan however who the heck is going to watch him on the internet? Ron paul supporters? isn't that a waste of resources? The people we need to target are the old republican fucks who have nothing better to do then to bitch how Obama is the anti christ or a typical dumb ass liberal. If he wanted to "change" the world, I think he would have been better off making his arguments on reality check. (especially when he worked in a swing state)

His just becoming the next Stossel. No one notices or watches him anymore on the Fox bussiness. However he made lots of thought provoking journalism when he was at 20/20.

ItsTime
06-26-2013, 06:54 PM
I don't think you understood my humor.

I like Benn Swan however who the heck is going to watch him on the internet? Ron paul supporters? isn't that a waste of resources? The people we need to target are the old republican fucks who have nothing better to do then to bitch how Obama is the anti christ or a typical dumb ass liberal. If he wanted to "change" the world, I think he would have been better off making his arguments on reality check. (especially when he worked in a swing state)

His just becoming the next Stossel. No one notices or watches him anymore on the Fox bussiness. However he made lots of thought provoking journalism when he was at 20/20.

The idea is to move the episodes to NetFlix, Roku etc. Who would have thought just a bunch of Ron Paul supporters living in their mothers basements sharing youtube videos of Ron Paul would spark a movement........... :D

ItsTime
06-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Via Reddit AMA when asked about Hastings

I am not worried... we all have numbered days. I want to use my days well. Meanwhile, I have a lot of questions about Michael's death and am doing some work on that now

Brent Pierce
06-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Ron Paul didn't worry about what other congressmen thought of him. In his eyes success had nothing to do with gaining their approval. Edward Snowden didn't sell info to foreign governments to turn a profit. Instead he put his life on the line to let people know the truth. Similarly, Ben Swann isn't trying to land a job with CNN or Fox News. He is putting his own livelihood on the line to offer an honest voice in journalism. A man who understands and supports the liberty movement.
Greetings from Amazon Payments,

We have received your Jun 26, 2013 authorization to let EAD Interactive, Kickstarter, Inc. charge you. Details of this transaction are below:

Authorization summary:
---------------------
Recipient: EAD Interactive, Kickstarter, Inc.

Maximum Authorized Amount*: $27.00

ItsTime
06-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Ron Paul didn't worry about what other congressmen thought of him. In his eyes success had nothing to do with gaining their approval. Edward Snowden didn't sell info to foreign governments to turn a profit. Instead he put his life on the line to let people know the truth. Similarly, Ben Swann isn't trying to land a job with CNN or Fox News. He is putting his own livelihood on the line to offer an honest voice in journalism. A man who understands and supports the liberty movement.

You are 100% correct. Emphasis added. +rep

ItsTime
06-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Ben is doing a series of vlogs to answer questions about Kickstarter and Full Disclosure. This one answers why 100 episodes and what are a few of the subjects that will be covered.

http://benswann.com/vlog-why-100-episodes/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-vqDt-Ph1Rw