PDA

View Full Version : Video: Fireworks over state lines (MA sucks)

Keith and stuff
06-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Fireworks over state lines
Updated: Friday, 21 Jun 2013, 7:21 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 21 Jun 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
David McKay
http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/franklin/fireworks-over-state-lines
^ Click on the above link to see the video. The reporter spent a lot of time making sure to not incriminate MA people that were buying fireworks in NH, since it violates multiple MA laws.

http://michaelgraham.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/MA-sign-fireworks-warning-300x168.jpg

http://michaelgraham.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/MA-sign-fireworks-penalty-300x162.jpg
Photos from http://michaelgraham.com/a-sign-of-what-massachusetts-politicians-think-of-you/

Hinsdale, New Hampshire (WWLP) - New Hampshire is one of the closest places for New Englanders to buy fireworks that may not be legal in their own state.

22News went to Hinsdale, New Hampshire today to see if Massachusetts residents are heeding the warnings about bringing illegal fireworks back home over state lines.

Signs are posted throughout the state of Massachusetts warning residents that fireworks are illegal here. But it's no secret, with billboard advertisements displaying where the closest places you can get them is.

The Manager of Phantom Fireworks in Hinsdale, New Hampshire, Jeff Graham told 22News.

"The purchasing of fireworks in New Hampshire you must be 21 years of age with a valid driver’s license. After leaving the state you are to abide by your own state laws. Please check with your local government and in local areas."

Out of state residents 22News spoke with today said they heed the warnings of bringing illegal fireworks back home, but say their patriotism outweighs the repercussions.

Massachusetts law prohibits "any article designed to produce a visible or audible effect" and that includes sparklers. If you're caught with fireworks you face a fine that can range from 10 to a 100 dollars and any officer can confiscate them. And if you are caught selling them...fines can be 100 to 1,000 dollars, and you can face prison time for one year.

"I recognize fireworks are dangerous, but I also feel that when used carefully and used under supervision they can be fun and celebratory. So I think there's room in Massachusetts to have limited use of fireworks,” Chris Belskis, of Greenfield said.

Alexa Phelps, of Greenfield said, "I don't really see the problem with being able to purchase fireworks, because I mean it's a tradition. Fourth of July you just automatically assume fireworks so..."

The State Fire Marshal's Office says in the past decade there have been 47 people treated at Massachusetts emergency rooms for severe burn injuries from fireworks. Thirty percent were children under the age of ten.

When Republicans had control of the Maine government the looked at the arguments. Fireworks were illegal in ME. Yet, fireworks caused injuries and accidents in ME. People bought the fireworks in NH. NH wasn't going to ever stop selling fireworks. In fact, NH recently expanded the selection of fireworks legal in the state. ME was losing business taxes, property taxes. income and sales taxes by not selling fireworks. It made no sense so the state legalized the selling of fireworks, though many communities in ME prohibit the use of fireworks.

MA has all of the injuries, fires and accidents caused by fireworks but none of the jobs, property taxes, income taxes, sales taxes, business taxes, utility taxes... it would get if the state of MA just legalized the selling of fireworks. So that happens? NH gets all of those benefits (minus the income and sales taxes).
NH unemployment = 5.3% (down 0.2 from last month)
MA unemployment = 6.6% (up 0.2 from last month)
FreedomWorks

Anti Federalist
06-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Too bad I have nothing to celebrate in this regard.

KCIndy
06-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Not even sparklers?? Geez.

Massachusetts sure has fallen a long, long way since the days when any ol' Patriot could grab his musket off the wall and go shoot a Redcoat.

jclay2
06-24-2013, 11:19 PM
I am absolutely certain patriotism has nothing to do with the lighting of fireworks.

KCIndy
06-24-2013, 11:21 PM
I am absolutely certain patriotism has nothing to do with the lighting of fireworks.

Well, personally, I just love to see stuff blow up and fly through the air. I'll use any excuse! :D

DamianTV
06-25-2013, 01:29 AM
"... with a valid driver’s license"

So for those that dont drive, they cant set off fireworks either? This whole permissions thing is ridonkulus. My daddy gave me permission to play with legos, which is required if I am to be allowed to eat bacon. Just WTF? (yeah, I know, off topic from the story)

06-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Yeah I remember the old "fireworks are illegal in the state of maine" sign on 95. It's long gone.

Root
06-25-2013, 06:44 AM
In PA residents need a government permission slip, but non-residents can buy at will.

tod evans
06-25-2013, 06:56 AM
I remember in the 60's my father would smuggle a stationwagon full from Mo. to the Chicago burbs..

Never any cops, just good fun...

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-25-2013, 06:59 AM
stupid laws only the lowest of cops follow. no cops in my town care if someone (who knows what they're doing) uses fireworks.

Keith and stuff
06-25-2013, 07:09 AM
"... with a valid driver’s license"

So for those that dont drive, they cant set off fireworks either?
You don't need a DL to buy fireworks in NH. You need that or a state government issued photo ID or a military ID. With an active duty military ID, the age is 18, otherwise, it is 21.

I don't know about other states but I doubt any state requires a DL.