PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul USA Today op-ed: Drug war targets minorities

jct74
06-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Rand Paul: Drug war targets minorities
The justice system is stacked against minorities, even though white people use drugs just as often.

by Rand Paul
1:56 p.m. EDT June 24, 2013

Speaking at Howard University in April, I argued that big government is no friend to black Americans. The New York Times article earlier this month "Blacks Are Singled Out for Marijuana Arrests, Federal Data Suggests" reminded me how true this was.

A report released recently by the American Civil Liberties Union revealed that nationally, blacks were four times as likely as whites to be arrested for marijuana possession. It also indicated that these unfortunate numbers were true despite the fact that marijuana use is about the same for both black and white Americans.

Why is this happening? Why the vast disparity?

I spend so much time battling our gargantuan federal government that I can't possibly manage to keep up with all the damage it does, everywhere, every day and in so many countless ways. As former White House adviser David Axelrod said recently in defending Obama over the IRS scandal: "Part of being president is there's so much beneath you that you can't know because the government is so vast."

Interestingly, neither Axelrod nor Obama have ever shown much interest in taming the federal beast. In fact, virtually every solution they offer involves making government bigger. This often leaves the individual American citizen defenseless against a "vast" system that even its greatest champions can't outline, comprehend or be held accountable for.

Black Americans are being imprisoned far more than white Americans for marijuana possession for one primary reason: the federal government subsidizes it.

read more:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/06/24/rand-paul-marijuana-arrests-column/2452259/

Wilf
06-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Rand is getting better as time past, I am sure that he will regain the libertarian vote in 2016.

randomname
06-24-2013, 01:44 PM
"If alleged drug abusers George W. Bush and Barack Obama got caught and were penalized under our current mandatory minimum laws, both men would've been barely employable, not future presidents."

lib3rtarian
06-24-2013, 01:45 PM
This is another issue where if he takes a stand, like a filibuster, he can swing the right around to it, plus, the left can't criticize him without sounding like hypocrites.

Working Poor
06-24-2013, 03:19 PM
I think condemning the war on drugs is one of the best stands he could take.

helenpaul
06-24-2013, 03:23 PM
awesome stuff.

anaconda
06-24-2013, 03:25 PM
awesome stuff.

I wish Rand would begin using the term "African Americans" instead of "blacks."

UPDATE: I see Rand did manage to work in the term "African American" in the second to last paragraph.

anaconda
06-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Removing minimum sentencing requirements does not appear to necessarily remove the "discretion" on behalf of a judge to issue a harsh sentence. Which is not particularly encouraging considering that judges election campaigns are probably paid for by cops and the prison-industrial complex.

ItsTime
06-24-2013, 03:43 PM
I think condemning the war on drugs is one of the best stands he could take.

To win NH he has to take this stance....

FriedChicken
06-24-2013, 04:18 PM
To win NH he has to take this stance....

How so? Romney and McCain won NH during the primaries and Obama won in the general twice in that state IIRC.

BAllen
06-24-2013, 04:22 PM
He's getting worse every day with this black victim crap.

Brett85
06-24-2013, 08:18 PM
I wish Rand would begin using the term "African Americans" instead of "blacks."

UPDATE: I see Rand did manage to work in the term "African American" in the second to last paragraph.

The black panel of conservatives on Hannity the other night said that they objected to being called "African Americans" and wanted to be called "blacks" instead.

Brett85
06-24-2013, 08:19 PM

Well, the Republican Party isn't going to win very many Presidential elections by getting 6% of the black vote.

BAllen
06-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Well, the Republican Party isn't going to win very many Presidential elections by getting 6% of the black vote.

Then they'd better start reducing regulations at the local, as well as federal level. Yet, you don't hear a peep from them about how this would help the economy, and the displaced workers.

Kregisen
06-25-2013, 12:34 PM

I agree typical media "black victim crap" exists, but on this issue, he's 100% right. If you're a minority you will get pulled over more often and arrested more often and convicted more often. By ending the drug war minorities including blacks will benefit even more than whites. That is the point of this article - and despite articles like this, the media will STILL claim Rand is a racist during the general election after he wins the primary.