PDA

View Full Version : A funny thing happened in the MSM today...

tangent4ronpaul
06-24-2013, 03:57 AM
crickets...

Yes, that's right crickets! At issue is an interview Greenwald gave NBC's Meet the Press on Sunday (there is a youtube of it in one of the Snowden threads +rep to anyone that finds it and posts the link, I'm not finding it again).

ty KEEF +rep!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ok2wShm2mqA

Anyway, he dropped a BOMBSHELL! It turns out the FISA court had made a ruling, passing down a 40 page decision stating that what NSA was doing was illegal. And what was NSA doing, you ask? Hoovering up phone calls of American citizens, in mass. Not just the call data (metadata) but the entire content of calls!

This means that the President, VP, heads of both houses of Congress, key members of the Intelligence committees, the heads of DoJ, FBI, NSA and a few others LIED TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC ON NATIONAL TV!!!

MSM's response? - crickets.

Well, it sorta got a bit of coverage - kinda, but not really. The NBC guy asked Greenwald why he shouldn't be prosecuted for aiding Snowden. Greenwald shot back that the Obama admin was trying to kill investigative journalism. That inconvenient little bit about the 40 page FISA court decision and all the major players in gvmt lying to the public didn't get so much as a cameo appearance or offhand mention. Prosecuting journalists for breaking leaks was the story.

http://medtech.syrene.net/forum/images/smilies/puke.gif

My country is starting to seriously piss me off!

It's interesting that he went out of his way to mention that he no longer had the documents... CORRECTION!: on listening to it again, he said he had the documents. My Bad!
It's interesting that he was talking about Verizon Metadata (though there was one clip where Sprint was added to the list and holder basically admitted there were 6 big telcoms involved) and now he's talking about the mass vacuuming of call content. Looks like he didn't have that one a week ago.
There was at least one report that Snowden had handed over hundreds of documents, and we are at what? - the sixth revelation? It's kinda scary to think about what is in the other 194+ documents...

Consider release times too. These things are being used tactically. The G20 spying released the night before G8 started and Obama getting a cold shoulder. The US hacking Chinese computer networks released right before China decides to give him a huge "thank you" and flip off the USG. Yeah, Snowden is one sharp pencil!

-t

better-dead-than-fed
06-24-2013, 04:09 AM
There was at least one report that Snowden had handed over hundreds of documents

"thousands": https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fnUvX98Fitn8z5bftjNn3SQtjKjgsjBh361RDv2I-HE/pub

tod evans
06-24-2013, 04:15 AM
Which begs the question, what is he sitting on for insurance....

tangent4ronpaul
06-24-2013, 04:20 AM
"thousands": https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fnUvX98Fitn8z5bftjNn3SQtjKjgsjBh361RDv2I-HE/pub

WOW!

-t

kathy88
06-24-2013, 04:25 AM
My country has totally gone to SHIT.

tangent4ronpaul
06-24-2013, 04:39 AM
As to Snowdens chances... Consider Philip Agee.

-t

Mani
06-24-2013, 04:53 AM
FISA Court rules NSA's actions are illegal....CUT IT!!! CUT THAT STORY! Mention Kim Kardashin's ass a few times!

Media silence at its best.

UWDude
06-24-2013, 05:01 AM
Snowden has a whole different way of doing things, and he is doing it in a 21st century way.

First, he has as much information one could find in ALL of the buildings in Washington D.C. in 1970 or 1980.
400 TB of information is a TON of books and records.
He is also buying himself time, and keeping it relevant, by releasing bits of information at a time.
And it is slowly, but surely, starting to snowball.
As time goes by, it will pick up momentum, if not in the United States, in the rest of the world, until American media can not ignore it.
In the meantime, American power will diminish. It always played with the upper hand and leverage of secret knowledge, amongst other things, but now the tables are turned, and every nation it tries to strong arm, will have the upper hand of having the dirt on the US, possibly on its leaders.
Snowden may be a wonderful, conscientious young man.. ...or he may be the spreader of chaos, and is giving all of America's secrets to every country he visits.
The thing is, American leaders do not know what he has, and this puts them at a disadvantage in deception both domestically and in geopolitical negotiation. THEY get chilled.
Have patience.

Of course, American media no longer even mentions what Snowden is leaking, just that he is a bad guy, and needs to be captured. Soon, Greenwald will be shunned, and Snowden's leaks will not even reach American media. But it will become what everyone else in the world is talking about.

And the world will laugh behind America's back. They'll call it the big North Korea. full of a bunch of patriots completely clueless about what their government is doing, while the rest of the world reads and watched with bemusement.

Mani
06-24-2013, 05:06 AM
Snowden has a whole different way of doing things, and he is doing it in a 21st century way.

First, he has as much information one could find in ALL of the buildings in Washington D.C. in 1970 or 1980.
He is also buying himself time, and keeping it relevant, by releasing bits of information at a time.
And it is slowly, but surely, starting to snowball.
As time goes by, it will pick up momentum, if not in the United States, in the rest of the world, until American media can not ignore it.
In the meantime, American power will diminish. It always played with the upper hand and leverage of secret knowledge, amongst other things, but now the tables are turned, and every nation it tries to strong arm, will have the upper hand of having the dirt on the US, possibly on its leaders.
Snowden may be a wonderful, conscientious young man.. ...or he may be the spreader of chaos, and is giving all of America's secrets to every country he visits.
The thing is, American leaders do not know what he has, and this puts them at a disadvantage in deception both domestically and in geopolitical negotiation. THEY get chilled.
Have patience.

Of course, American media no longer even mentions what Snowden is leaking, just that he is a bad guy, and needs to be captured. Soon, Greenwald will be shunned, and Snowden's leaks will not even reach American media. But it will become what everyone else in the world is talking about.

And the world will laugh behind America's back. They'll call it the big North Korea. full of a bunch of patriots completely clueless about what their government is doing, while the rest of the world reads and watched with bemusement.

It's already halfway there. I used to laugh at people who watched the Al Jeezer stuff and wonder, Do these idiots living there actually believe that propaganda BS???

Then I spent a couple years out of the US and my eyes opened pretty wide seeing the world is different than the images shown on American TV. Now I don't laugh, because I was one of those idiots believing what the MSM told me.

kathy88
06-24-2013, 05:07 AM
I'm ready for some of the good shit to get released. Come on Snowden, take someone DOWN.

tangent4ronpaul
06-24-2013, 05:28 AM

Where are you getting this 400TB number?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terabyte

Library data – The U.S. Library of Congress Web Capture team claims that "As of April 2011, the Library has collected about 235 terabytes of data" and that it adds about 5 terabytes per month.[11]

http://blogs.loc.gov/digitalpreservation/2012/03/how-many-libraries-of-congress-does-it-take/

But the numbers that caught the public’s imagination were the ones for books. And that 10 TB figure is everywhere.

So, how many Libraries of Congress does it take to…? Or how many Libraries of Congress can be contained in…?

“Every Six Hours, the NSA Gathers as Much Data as Is Stored in the Entire Library of Congress.” LINK
“Facebook’s photo collection has a staggering 140 billion photos, that’s over 10,000 times larger than the Library of Congress.” LINK
“The [Honeywell India Technology] centre stores some 32 terabytes (32,768 GB) of data. That’s five times more than the world’s largest library – the US Library of Congress.” LINK
“The fiber optic cable is capable of transmitting data at a maximum of 40 gigabits per second from deep-sea locations where gaps of instrument coverage currently exist. For comparison, the entire print collection of the Library of Congress could be transmitted over the link in just more than 30 minutes.” LINK
“There are 25 Petabytes (10^15) created every day and thrown into the internet. This is 70 times larger than the Library of Congress.” LINK
“…it is estimated that the entire collection of the Library of Congress including photos, sound recordings and movies might take 3,000 TB of storage. Assuming $100 each for 2 TB hard drives, the entire book collection of the Library of Congress could be stored on about $1500 worth of hard drives at today’s prices.” LINK
“The upper end of the reference configurations is 96 blades [servers] with 1,152 cores, 9.2 TB memory and 57.6 TB of disk storage, enough disk space to store the entire Library of Congress six times.” LINK
“He keeps 500 terabytes of storage near Factual’s headquarters. That’s about twice the amount needed to hold the entire Library of Congress.” LINK
“The size of Facebook’s data retention database alone would be larger than all of the content that the Library of Congress has put online to date.” LINK
“… in a world where the entire Library of Congress will soon be accessible on a mobile device with search procedures that are vastly better than any card catalog, factual mastery will become less and less important. “ LINK

I'm ready for some of the good shit to get released. Come on Snowden, take someone DOWN.

Snowden said he didn't want to hurt individuals, but I agree - there are some that need to be taken down.

-t

UWDude
06-24-2013, 05:31 AM
Where are you getting this 400TB number?

When this first came out, I read he had four laptops, with 400 TB of information on them.

100 TB hard drives first came out in 2011. This is no big deal.

Elias Graves
06-24-2013, 05:33 AM
If we've learned one good thing out of this, it's that despite all the NSA bullshit, cops are still basically idiots at heart.
Run, Ed, run!

tasteless
06-24-2013, 05:43 AM
This guy is like a real life John Galt

tangent4ronpaul
06-24-2013, 05:58 AM
When this first came out, I read he had four laptops, with 400 TB of information on them.

I saw an ad for a 100TB HD in a technical journal once and I saw rows and rows of racks of them once during a job interview for a telcom. They were each the size of a large shoe box (think boots). I'm a UNIX Sys Admin and I personally saw 100TB HD's at least 10 years before 2011. I have seen ads for 2-3TB HD's for laptops, but that's about it. Blueray might be an option for transferring that amount of data in a limited space.

But seriously, while the LOC doesn't actually retain every single book or publication it receives, it keeps most of them. Look at the numbers. 400 TB of data is like 80 times the scanned text of every book and periodical every published in this country. It's an unbelievable number.

-t

UWDude
06-24-2013, 06:17 AM
I saw an ad for a 100TB HD in a technical journal once and I saw rows and rows of racks of them once during a job interview for a telcom. They were each the size of a large shoe box (think boots). I'm a UNIX Sys Admin and I personally saw 100TB HD's at least 10 years before 2011. I have seen ads for 2-3TB HD's for laptops, but that's about it. Blueray might be an option for transferring that amount of data in a limited space.

But seriously, while the LOC doesn't actually retain every single book or publication it receives, it keeps most of them. Look at the numbers. 400 TB of data is like 80 times the scanned text of every book and periodical every published in this country. It's an unbelievable number.

-t

I meant 100TB drives for desktops/laptops, and I was just guessing what the NSA types would have with their super clusters and all. The top of the top of technology.

Imagine downloading every single email, phone call recording, etc, that was red flagged to be opened and read by NSA agents.
It is possible he has that all.

It's a lot of information, a ton of information, and Snowden might have it all. Supposedly he walked out of the NSA with four of their computers.

Classic strategic American oversight, really. Always so dependent on their technology. Always trusting their technology is their security. Always forgetting the human element.

Even so, even if he only has 400 GB of secret info... ...it is still a ton. It is still enough to bring the United States to its knees. And in a way no fighter plane can shoot down and no nuclear missile can blow away, no bribing can stop, and no occupation can try to forestall.

Like he said, the truth is coming, and I believe him.

06-24-2013, 06:28 AM
This means that the President, VP, heads of both houses of Congress, key members of the Intelligence committees, the heads of DoJ, FBI, NSA and a few others LIED TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC ON NATIONAL TV!!!

Most Americans just assume it's all lies anyway. So it's not news to them.

KEEF
06-24-2013, 06:35 AM
crickets...

Yes, that's right crickets! At issue is an interview Greenwald gave NBC's Meet the Press on Sunday (there is a youtube of it in one of the Snowden threads +rep to anyone that finds it and posts the link, I'm not finding it again). Anyway, he dropped a BOMBSHELL! It turns out the FISA court had made a ruling, passing down a 40 page decision stating that what NSA was doing was illegal. And what was NSA doing, you ask? Hoovering up phone calls of American citizens, in mass. Not just the call data (metadata) but the entire content of calls!

MSM's response? - crickets.

Well, it sorta got a bit of coverage - kinda, but not really. The NBC guy asked Greenwald why he shouldn't be prosecuted for aiding Snowden. Greenwald shot back that the Obama admin was trying to kill investigative journalism. That inconvenient little bit about the 40 page FISA court decision and all the major players in gvmt lying to the public didn't get so much as a cameo appearance or offhand mention. Prosecuting journalists for breaking leaks was the story.

http://medtech.syrene.net/forum/images/smilies/puke.gif

My country is starting to seriously piss me off!

It's interesting that he went out of his way to mention that he no longer had the documents...
It's interesting that he was talking about Verizon Metadata (though there was one clip where Sprint was added to the list and holder basically admitted there were 6 big telcoms involved) and now he's talking about the mass vacuuming of call content. Looks like he didn't have that one a week ago.
There was at least one report that Snowden had handed over hundreds of documents, and we are at what? - the sixth revelation? It's kinda scary to think about what is in the other 194+ documents...

Consider release times too. These things are being used tactically. The G20 spying released the night before G8 started and Obama getting a cold shoulder. The US hacking Chinese computer networks released right before China decides to give him a huge "thank you" and flip off the USG. Yeah, Snowden is one sharp pencil!

-t
Here is your link
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?419135-Glenn-Greenwald-80-page-decision-from-FISA-court-says-NSA-is-bulk-collecting-phone-calls

tod evans
06-24-2013, 06:45 AM
I think this just might belong here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWyCCJ6B2WE

liberty2897
06-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Obama:

When it comes to telephone calls, nobody is listening to your calls

Congress and your representatives have all been well informed about these programs

They are not looking at content

only phone numbers
METADATA METADATA METADATA
not content, no names

The FISA courts work.

some folks may have a different assessment of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENTl5JKzlQ

I welcome this debate.

tangent4ronpaul
06-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Yeah, you nailed the talking points...

-t

unconsious767
06-24-2013, 07:36 AM
hypothetical:

Snowden: Congressman x killed an aide in his office, there was a coverup. Here's proof.

MSM: Traitorous high school dropout continues to release america destroying revelations

Snowden: Jimmy Hoffa is buried at the corner of victory and figueroa, gps coordinates xx:yy

MSM: The evildoer's ex girlfriend from kindergarten speaks out!

Snowden: The following individuals have all been compromised by the nsa prism and other programs: senators xyz, congressmen xyz, president x, proof upon request.

MSM: Beloved actor, x, y or z dies: 7 day vigil commences.

KEEF
06-24-2013, 07:39 AM
hypothetical:

Snowden: Congressman x killed an aide in his office, there was a coverup. Here's proof.

MSM: Traitorous high school dropout continues to release america destroying revelations

Snowden: Jimmy Hoffa is buried at the corner of victory and figueroa, gps coordinates xx:yy

MSM: The evildoer's ex girlfriend from kindergarten speaks out!

Snowden: The following individuals have all been compromised by the nsa prism and other programs: senators xyz, congressmen xyz, president x, proof upon request.

MSM: Beloved actor, x, y or z dies: 7 day vigil commences.
I hear ya... it was breaking news today that Gov. Christi ordered flags to be flown half-staff for the Sopranos guy James Gandolfini.

CPUd
06-24-2013, 07:57 AM

There's no such thing as a 100TB drive for a laptop. Maybe in 5-10 years there will be a prototype, but it will not involve a spinning disk.

Today, you might find a 3TB, but for a 2.5 inch, if you look at it wrong it will probably fail.