PDA

View Full Version : Liberty U's drone program “We want graduates serving the Lord in this area of aviation"

Anti Federalist
06-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Started being offered last year.

Liberty aviation on cutting edge of drone aircraft training

By Ron Brown

A significant shift in course offerings at the Liberty University School of Aeronautics (SOA) could have graduates prepared for a huge transition in the use of the United States’ commercial airspace.

Last year, the university approved the School of Aeronautics to begin training students in the use of Unmanned Aviation Vehicles (UAVs), popularly referred to as drones in their military application.

The federal government has instructed the Federal Aviation Administration to develop a plan by 2015 to incorporate UAVs into the national airspace of the United States. When that happens, unmanned aircraft may become the vehicle of choice for many traditional uses of aircraft that could easily be accomplished without a pilot on board.

“Future aviation is going to include drones. There are so many potential applications where drones can be used,” said retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Dave Young, who serves as dean of the Liberty University School of Aeronautics.

Those applications include potential uses in law enforcement, agriculture, border enforcement, power and oil pipeline control, search and rescue, and transportation of materials to remote construction sites.

“UAVs are going to be a viable part of the aviation industry,” Young said. “It offers a grand opportunity for employment during a time when college graduates are entering a highly competitive job market.”

Young understands that this technology could easily be abused by someone who doesn’t appreciate the ethics and values of aviation.

To that end, the SOA plans to train Liberty graduates who have a deep-seeded understanding of the ethical use of aircraft.

“Our mission is to produce graduates who are not only skilled, but who are going to go out in the world as strong Christians,” Young said.

Currently, 90 percent of drone usage by the United States Department of Defense occurs in combat missions in foreign airspace.

“The military has used drone technology in a myriad of different ways,” said John Marselus, Associate Dean of the Liberty University School

of Aeronautics. “The intelligence gathered by drone aircraft has created an insatiable appetite for information by combat commanders. They have become convinced of the advantage that the technology provides for our troops.” Marselus said Liberty is “right on the front edge” of drone technology.

“We want to have graduates serving the Lord in this area of aviation,” he said.

seyferjm
06-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Laurence Vance wrote a quick response to this on LewRockwell earlier today. "Drone Operators for Jesus" makes me smh.

KCIndy
06-23-2013, 08:58 PM

Dare I say it?????????

????

......God help us. :rolleyes:

Origanalist
06-23-2013, 09:00 PM

Somebody's really, really confused.

VIDEODROME
06-23-2013, 09:03 PM
Things have come a long way since The Holy Hand Grenade.

WM_in_MO
06-23-2013, 09:09 PM
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/majik_mijit/motivationals/religion-warhammer-40-000-40000-40k.jpg

Occam's Banana
06-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Praise Jesus and pass the joystick ...

bolil
06-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Religion is hope incarnate, religion has nothing to do with any of this bullshit. If I lay claim to liberty and then turn around and profess ideals antithetical to that very thing, am I to be taken seriously or should i be treated, instead, with abject scorn.

I am agnostic, cause I don't fucking know, but I will ask this of anyone hostile towards any brand of belief: Are perversions to be taken as truth? As canon?

Well, ingenuous people will say: "Duh, no."

Professtations of religious belief strike me as the scoundrels first refuge. Those that have the true fire, no matter what name they call IT... well that is where this agnostic finds hope. Reasonable hope, not the false brand marketed by the money changers. Nighty night, for now.

Christian Liberty
06-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Ugh. And my parents try to tell me "Christian" education would actually be better for me than "secular" education.

The thing is that most Evangelicals are actually warvangelicals.

It doesn't matter. My mind is tough as nails either way you look at it. I got through two years of public school, lost five IQ points, but got through it. I'll deal with what I have to deal with in order to be able to teach history or poli sci myself. Then maybe some university somewhere will have an Evangelical with a doggone brain...

Christian Liberty
06-23-2013, 10:39 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/140228.html

There are precious few "Legitimate" uses for this sort of thing, although ideally, search and rescue really should be one of them.

That said, Vance is right, that's not what the school is talking about.

I don't know much about Jerry Falwell Jr., but I know plenty about his dad, and he was a wacko...

What's unfortunate is how few Christians there are who are anti-war but actually conservative. (Theologically speaking, although it would be nice if they weren't far-left commies or pro-murder of the unborn either). There don't seem to be enough of those. Although, having a "Blue" warmongerer in the white house instead of a "Red" warmongerer is marginally helpful in this regard.

oyarde
06-24-2013, 12:33 AM
So , let me try to get this.... Liberty Univ wants to train people to do things that are, UnHoly, UnGodly and the direct opposite of Liberty , did I miss anything ?

Christian Liberty
06-24-2013, 12:35 AM
So , let me try to get this.... Liberty Univ wants to train people to do things that are, UnHoly, UnGodly and the direct opposite of Liberty , did I miss anything ?

Probably not.

Nirvikalpa
06-24-2013, 12:54 AM
Fuck Liberty University. I don't think there's a university out there I hate more. If they get an Osteopathic medical school (for-profit, funded by the tobacco commission mind you) I may shit myself.

Ughhhhh... damn you LU.

frodus24
06-24-2013, 04:32 AM
Sigh.....I am an hour from Liberty University.