View Full Version : NH laws on public surveillance read in different ways

Keith and stuff
06-23-2013, 06:50 PM
June 22. 2013 10:37PM
NH laws on public surveillance read in different ways
By NANCY WEST
New Hampshire Sunday News
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130623/NEWS07/130629674

As you might know, privacy laws are much stronger in NH than most states. Some police think the laws protecting privacy might being preventing them from doing their job. The biggest privacy advocate in the NH House is concerned that the privacy laws might not be strong enough and if they police continue to look for loopholes in the NH laws, he is willing to strengthen the already strong privacy laws.

The article is long and recent so I'm only posting select paragraphs. Click on the link (http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130623/NEWS07/130629674) to read the whole article. You can get a good feel for the article and the disagreement on privacy laws by experts and police in NH by reading the paragraphs I posted, though.

As places such as New York City rush to increase the thousands of police surveillance cameras already rolling, there are differing interpretations of what police and the government can legally do in New Hampshire to watch folks in public.

State Rep. Neal Kurk, R-Weare, a privacy advocate who helped pass RSA 236:130 seven years ago, says the law prohibits police from conducting video surveillance without a warrant on all public ways, with some exceptions. If there is any confusion, Kurk said, he will introduce new legislation next session to make sure the meaning is clear.

"What law enforcement should not be able to do is set up surveillance and be able to capture images of individuals innocently pursuing their daily activities...," Kurk said.

But others, including Bedford lawyer Andrew Schulman, a civil libertarian, says it appears that that particular law was intended to protect people from police cameras that identify and ticket them for running red lights and speeding, which it did - and little else. Schulman doesn't see anything in the law that would mean an outright ban on police surveillance cameras on public ways.

"It says that you can't use (surveillance cameras) to determine the ownership of a motor vehicle or its occupants," Schulman said.

The law defines surveillance as "determining the ownership of a motor vehicle or the identity of a motor vehicle's occupants on the public ways of the state or its political subdivisions through the use of a camera...." A political subdivision would be local or county government.

Kurk disagreed, but if there is a loophole, he wants it closed.

"If (Schulman) is suggesting police can now put up cameras and take pictures of people walking on the street, I will be putting in new legislation," Kurk said. "The idea of using surveillance cameras on people who are peacefully assembling is totally contrary to people in New Hampshire."

Manchester Police Chief David Mara said his department does use surveillance cameras on public ways without a warrant, but only rarely.

"If that's the law, nobody's ever heard of it," Mara said of RSA 236:130, which is known as Highway Surveillance Prohibited.

Assistant Safety Commissioner Earl Sweeney is considered the expert on RSA 236:130, and is sometimes asked to meet with police departments to explain what they can and cannot do with surveillance cameras on public ways.

"They can put (surveillance cameras) up in London. They can have a camera on every street corner, but that is illegal in New Hampshire," Sweeney said, if the license plate and vehicle occupants are identifiable.

The law exempts police "on a case-by-case basis" in the investigation of a particular crime. Police can set up surveillance in parks and public areas that do not involve public ways, Sweeney said.

"If the park is open to the public, and if they are taping the pond and people feeding the pigeons, it is not illegal," Sweeney said.

Reuters reported on Friday that the New York Police Department is now expanding one of the most sophisticated surveillance networks in the country.

NYPD has doubled the number of public and private surveillance cameras from 3,000 in lower Manhattan to 6,000 citywide, Reuters reported, with one-third being police cameras and the rest existing cameras that private businesses let police tap into.

Police can't set up video surveillance "just because there was a lot of misbehaving" on a certain street, Sweeney said, adding the highway surveillance law is not widely known.

Acting Hanover Police Chief Frank Moran said video surveillance is used there "every now and then in a specific criminal matter."

His department was planning to buy license plate recognition cameras that mount on the back of cruisers, but was told they were prohibited in New Hampshire, though widely used in Vermont and most other states.

The cameras can quickly scan license plates and determine whether a car has been stolen or was being driven by someone wanted by police.

"It's too bad really. It is excellent technology," Moran said.

Stories about the increase in camera surveillance across the country, along with allegations of massive National Security Agency surveillance of phones and emails of Americans stop Kurk in his tracks.

"Surveillance images could be retained by police forever and used in a whole variety of ways that citizens do not expect that information to be used," Kurk said.

"We don't expect that dossiers on our innocent activities will be kept by police. That's '1984,'" Kurk said, referring to the George Orwell novel.

"That's not New Hampshire."

donnay
06-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Then what's with all the road surveillance they just installed?

Keith and stuff
06-24-2013, 04:56 AM
Great point. My guess is those cameras on the interstates paid for with federal money are aimed in such a way that they monitor traffic conditions (as advertised) and don't read licenses plates. Either that or there is an exception not mentioned in the article or the cameras violate the law. That is something worth asking Assistant Safety Commissioner Earl Sweeney about.

donnay
06-24-2013, 06:51 AM
They call the project: "Eye In The Sky." Nice Orwellian name that was Federally funded. It is promised that it is not recording anything. They were put up to help traffic flow better. That is why they have all the new electronic signs (Telescreens) so when a problem arises the signs can alert citizens. Most of the time those Telescreens say: "Don't Drink and Drive." "Share The Road With A Motorcycle." "Speed Kills."

It always starts out as innocent sounded and very altruistic--"it's for the children"--"it's for convenience of the citizens"--"to help the officers." In one article I read the Acting Hanover Police Chief (Frank Moran ) was upset that they cannot use the state-of-the-art surveillance (license plate readers) for the cruisers like so many other adjoining states use--he even said Vermont has it like as if that should make the people in NH upset. :rolleyes:

I do not like cameras period and I hate the fact that the very reason these cameras were put up were funded by the Feds. We need to tell the Feds to pound salt. Taking money from them ALWAYS has strings attached to it.

Anti Federalist
06-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Free fucking country.

Manchester Police Chief David Mara said his department does use surveillance cameras on public ways without a warrant, but only rarely.

"If that's the law, nobody's ever heard of it," Mara said of RSA 236:130, which is known as Highway Surveillance Prohibited.

Hey Chief, I wonder if that excuse would work for me?

"I never heard of it".

"We don't expect that dossiers on our innocent activities will be kept by police. That's '1984,'" Kurk said, referring to the George Orwell novel.

"That's not New Hampshire."

Hey babe!

Reach out to this man, seriously. Contact him today.

I'm going all in on whatever it takes to pass new legislation strengthening and further prohibiting surveillance.

Anti Federalist
06-24-2013, 11:00 AM
"It says that you can't use (surveillance cameras) to determine the ownership of a motor vehicle or its occupants," Schulman said.

I do not care what the FedCoats claim.

If you're taking pictures, you can indentify who it is and what car it is.

Thus, these are in violation of RSA 236:130.

I will be contacting legal on this.