PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff Strips Federal Forest Service of State Law Enforcement Powers (+video)

TaftFan
06-23-2013, 04:49 PM
http://joemiller.us/2013/06/sheriff-strips-federal-forest-service-of-state-law-enforcement-powers-video/?utm_source=JoeMiller.US+List&utm_campaign=01ae0cf763-Regular_Campaign_6_22_136_22_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_065b6c381c-01ae0cf763-230962033

Carson
06-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Interesting.

Carson
06-23-2013, 05:37 PM
El Dorado County Sheriff John D'Agostini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_vUGC8BWvI

Carson
06-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Wow! A real Sheriff!

Wow! He's a real Forest Ranger protecting us AND our forest!

IPSecure
06-23-2013, 05:56 PM
That was great!

When exactly did it become 'We the people' vs 'Them the government'?

Carson
06-23-2013, 06:09 PM
That was great!

When exactly did it become 'We the people' vs 'Them the government'?

Seems like it has really been on, on many fronts for some time now.

Carson
06-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Here is the link to a post of mine from about a year ago. It is in this same area.

I used to be able to pull off spending about 20 or 30 days a year in the Nation Forest or Bureau of Land Management land. I'm getting older now which seems to suck some of the appeal out of leaving my easy chair, still the last two times I've headed out for week vacations the creepiness of what is happening in the forest now has has me home in about two days.

Anyway perhaps part age perhaps it's not just me wondering where the National Forest went;

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?377395-Nothing-left-to-do&p=4445170&viewfull=1#post4445170

P.S. Another thing is the last couple of times I went I've felt awfully alone. In the story above I mentioned only seeing a couple of ladies camping pretty much in the road. I wonder if they also felt the aloneness out there. I'm not talking about the lack of people. I've often camped miles and miles from any people. I'm talking about not knowing their is someone else out there like El Dorado County Sheriff John D'Agostini.

Someone else on your side.

I've often wished I'd have stopped to see what those ladies thought about the situation. I seemed to me hundreds of people were missing.

bolil
06-23-2013, 06:35 PM
El Dorado County Sheriff John D'Agostini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_vUGC8BWvI

That is a Campaign for liberty constitution btw. Anyways, it looks like the one I keep on me at all times.

Carson
06-23-2013, 06:37 PM
That is a Campaign for liberty constitution btw.

What?

bolil
06-23-2013, 06:41 PM
What?

The constitution of the united states of america and the declaration of independence courtesy of congressman Ron Paul's campaign for liberty.

It has a eagle on the back above "Campaign for Liberty"

Carson
06-28-2013, 11:35 PM
El Dorado Sheriff’s Fight With Feds Likely Over Residents Carrying Guns
June 27, 2013 11:44 PM

PLACERVILLE (CBS13) — The fight that has the El Dorado County sheriff planning to revoke a federal agency’s enforcement power in his county is apparently over residents’ rights to carry guns.

Cory Ward is an avid outdoorsman who frequents the El Dorado National forest. But he’s concerned this paradise could turn into a police state.

“I have felt intimidated,” he said.

He’s got a long list of complaints against federal officers who patrol the forest.

“They want to know what you’re doing here, where you’re going, do you have any firearms on board.”

It appears this exploding confrontation between Sheriff John D’Agostini and the U.S. Forest service may come down to guns, and the right to carry them, and whether U.S. citizens are allowed to bring them onto federal land.

Snip...

The rest of the story here;

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/06/27/el-dorado-sheriffs-fight-with-feds-likely-over-residents-carrying-guns/

Carson
06-28-2013, 11:47 PM
El Dorado County sheriff curtails Forest Service officers' authority to enforce state laws

Published: June 27, 2013

Read more here: http://www.modbee.com/2013/06/27/2783184/el-dorado-county-sheriff-curtails.html#storylink=cpy

Complaints about the conduct of U.S. Forest Service law enforcement officers have led El Dorado County Sheriff John D'Agostini to suspend their authority to enforce state laws in the county effective next month.

Sheriff's spokesman Lt. Tim Becker said he could not elaborate on the specific complaints, saying that the sheriff was handling them as he would a personnel matter.

He said the sheriff had received multiple complaints from citizens regarding the actions of U.S. Forest Service law enforcement officers in El Dorado County.

"He has been addressing these issues for many months with the USFS administration and feels that the issues have not been resolved to meet the standards that he requires of Sheriff's Office personnel," Becker said.

The California Penal Code states that officers of the U.S. Forest Service "have no authority to enforce California statutes without the written consent of the sheriff or chief of police in whose jurisdiction they are assigned."

In granting authority to Forest Service officers, Becker said, the sheriff was backing them, but he didn't have the authority to discipline them when their conduct failed to meet his standards.

Snip....

The sheriff's action does not affect the officers' authority to enforce federal laws.

Harris said he met with D'Agostini on Wednesday to discuss the matter.

"We had a very good meeting. We were able to address issues that have arisen," Harris said, adding that he plans to look into the sheriff's concerns.

While expressing disappointment that D'Agostini declined to reverse his decision, Harris said, "I respect his position."

With termination of the agreement, he said, Forest Service officers will no longer be authorized to issue citations for Vehicle Code violations, such as speeding, driving without headlights after dark or having expired registration, on forest lands or adjoining property.

It also will affect the ability of Forest Service personnel to enforce firearms laws, such as the prohibition of modifications that can turn firearms into assault rifles.

More snipage...

Read more here: http://www.modbee.com/2013/06/27/2783184/el-dorado-county-sheriff-curtails.html#storylink=cpy

Carson
08-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Sheriff Stops Feds
August 08, 2013 AFP
32_DAgostini

• El Dorado County, Ca. sheriff bans feds from harassing his constituents in national park

By Pat Shannan

In a letter dated June 17,2013, Eldorado County (Placerville) California sheriff John D’Agostini notified the United States Forest Service that he was stripping their Law Enforcement and Investigations unit of assumed authority to interfere with state laws in that county. When questioned by news reporters, D’Agostini refused to go into detail, saying only that he was responding to multiple complaints from county citizens

This puzzling lack of detail confounded the story for several weeks while the sheriff’s office remained silent. When the sheriff’s media spokesman, Lt. Tim Becker, did not return our several phone calls. Another officer answering the phone finally gave this writer the hidden hint to look at the sheriff’s Mission Statement that appears at their website:

“The mission of the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office is to uphold the law through the investigation and enforcement of criminal and civil law, to provide leadership and law enforcement support to allied law enforcement agencies, to deliver consistent and humane treatment to those placed in our care and custody, and to perform these responsibilities in a manner that is responsive to the needs of our community and faithful to the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of California.”

Sheriff D’Agostini is a member of the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association (CSPOA) and may have been attempting to play down a story that now appears as gun harassment activity by the Feds. El Dorado National Forest is a favorite summer and wintertime playground for both locals and out-of-state tourists, but many have said they will not return. When county citizen Cory Ward came forward to tell of his harassment, the floodgates were opened and more than 50 others followed with reports to the sheriff. All were similar in nature of the firearms interrogation.

Ward frequents El Dorado but feels intimidated by the armed officers who stop anyone whenever they feel like it.

“They want to know what you’re doing here, where are you going and do you have any firearms on board,” he told CBS Sacramento and added that he has compiled a long list of complaints against federal officers there, as he fears his favorite place “is turning into a police state.”

Another unnamed man reported being cuffed and forced to stand in the snow while an officer dumped his luggage, sifted through his clothing and finally confiscated his camping hatchet and threatened to arrest him for “possession of a weapon on federal property.” He never went back to the park.

The legal situation will soon come down to who really has the right to carry guns on federal property within county jurisdiction. The edict became official on July 22, with no new confrontations reported at press time.

- See more at: http://americanfreepress.net/?p=12098#sthash.VQ9jxkzb.dpuf

Carson
08-09-2013, 05:39 PM
"Another unnamed man reported being cuffed and forced to stand in the snow while an officer dumped his luggage, sifted through his clothing and finally confiscated his camping hatchet and threatened to arrest him for “possession of a weapon on federal property.” He never went back to the park."

FindLiberty
08-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Thumbs up! It's not (just) "the abuse of power", it's the gov's "power to abuse" that's the real source of all these problem. Mission Creep. Need to "reboot" with basic US Constitution.

Carson
08-10-2013, 09:20 AM
"Another unnamed man reported being cuffed and forced to stand in the snow while an officer dumped his luggage, sifted through his clothing and finally confiscated his camping hatchet and threatened to arrest him for “possession of a weapon on federal property.” He never went back to the park."

I believe it is the public's National Forest land.

Carson
08-25-2013, 09:16 PM
There is more news on the El Dorado National Forest situation. The, "All Rights Reserved" thing at the bottom of the article stood out so I'm only going to post some of it that stood out and a link hoping you'll go there to read more.

In fact I pretty much trashed it and you may as well get it from the horses mouth.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/08/25/5678791/forest-service-el-dorado-county.html#disqus_thread

Forest Service, El Dorado County sheriff's personnel pledge to work together

By Cathy Locke

Published: Sunday, Aug. 25, 2013 - 12:00 am

Anticipating an influx of visitors over the Labor Day weekend, the El Dorado County sheriff and U.S. Forest Service officials seek to assure the public that, despite recent tensions between their agencies, they are working together to ensure public safety and protect natural resources.

Snip...

The suspension took effect July 22, a week before Laurence Crabtree assumed the post of forest supervisor for the Eldorado National Forest.

D'Agostini announced last week that he had met with Crabtree and Capt. Frank Aguilar of Forest Service law enforcement to get acquainted and discuss issues.

Crabtree, in a telephone interview, said he has worked in many places where peace officer authority was not granted to Forest Service officers. That was the case in Plumas County and the Plumas National Forest, where he was deputy forest supervisor before being named to his current post.

Crabtree said he respected the sheriff's right to suspend that authority, and stressed that the agencies can cooperate to protect resources and public safety.

"We are still committed to work together," Crabtree said.

Snip...

"It is the style and manner, over time, in which they enforce this (federal) authority that will be the litmus test to determine if the Forest Service will regain their authority to enforce state laws in El Dorado County," D'Agostini said in a written statement.

Crabtree said he understood that the sheriff was concerned about the demeanor and conduct of Forest Service law enforcement officers and said he would work with employees to see whether there are areas where improvement is needed.

Snip...

Crabtree said the biggest concern for the Forest Service is the fire situation.

"The forests are very, very dry," he said, and the Forest Service's resources are stretched when it comes to fire response. "All of our incident command teams are committed, and people are getting worn down."

Snip...

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/08/25/5678791/forest-service-el-dorado-county.html#disqus_thread

Origanalist
08-25-2013, 09:32 PM
The reporter shaking his head in the news video had me cracking up.

Carson
10-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Now it looks like they are trying to shut some of it down and hold it hostage.

California campgrounds, preserves shuttering gates as shutdown continues

By Anita Creamer — acreamer@sacbee.com

The U.S. Forest Service has told 115 Sacramento sixth-graders who were excited about spending next week at the Sly Park Environmental Education Center, tucked into the Eldorado National Forest outside Pollock Pines, to stay home instead.

“The federal government told us yesterday we have to shut down Sly Park,” said Sacramento County Office of Education Superintendent Dave Gordon. “The staff is all ours. There’s no federal presence on the site. But because of the shutdown, we can’t have the student program.”

The forest can’t be barricaded from the public, but the meandering access roads to school programs in the forest can be.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2013/10/04/2717820/california-campgrounds-preserves.html

AFPVet
10-17-2013, 12:16 PM
The sheriff is the most powerful person in the county. If you violate the law, it doesn't matter who you are....

coastie
10-17-2013, 12:27 PM
The sheriff is the most powerful person in the county. If you violate the law, it doesn't matter who you are....

Sure......

County (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_(United_States)‎
As of 2013, the United States has 3,007 counties and 137 county-equivalents in the United States for a total of 3,144 counties and county-equivalents.

....but there don't seem to be a whole lot resistance to the federal gubbermint from all those thar Sheriffs.;)

Carson
10-23-2013, 07:18 PM
More theft of the National Forest.

http://www.mtshastanews.com/article/20131023/NEWS/131029887

Crowd speaks out against forest road closures

The new plan eliminates motorized vehicle use on many forest roads in the Shasta-Trinity and Klamath national forests, roads that have historically been used for hunting and fishing access, woodcutting, four-wheeling and camping.

By Skye Kinkade
Posted Oct. 23, 2013 @ 9:01 am

Siskiyou County, Calif.

When the Forest Service’s Travel Management Plan was still in the planning and comment stage, Siskiyou County District 3 supervisor Michael Kobseff said only one group consistently spoke out about it: the Siskiyou County Offroad Riders.

Now that the law has gone into effect and people better understand its consequences, nearly 300 people showed up to voice concerns during a public meeting in Weed last Wednesday.

The new plan eliminates motorized vehicle use on many forest roads in the Shasta-Trinity and Klamath national forests, roads that have historically been used for hunting and fishing access, woodcutting, four-wheeling and camping.

According to the law, forest users must stay on roads marked on the official Motorized Vehicle Use Maps or face citations which carry a fine of up to $5,000 and/or 6 months imprisonment.

The new rules “make us all become criminals for cutting firewood or hunting, and that’s a sin,” said Dorris resident Dave Andreatta. He said in the Goosenest management area, firewood has already been depleted in areas open for cutting. He worries that the plan will “hit senior citizens the hardest,” since they will no longer be able to gather firewood and will then be forced to decide between keeping warm or affording medication.

Read more: http://www.mtshastanews.com/article/20131023/NEWS/131029887#ixzz2ib8BzwMB

Carson
10-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Lots of people have wondered if there is any gold in Fort Knox and if there is, is it still ours.

It is time to move beyond such a myopic view and wonder do we still own our National Forest. What about the oil, coal, and timber we all share ownership with our fellow American's? Or do we?

Only Alaska has ever turned over any of the proceeds to their citizens.