PDA

View Full Version : Pardon Snowden petition reached 100,000 signatures at 12:30 UTC, today June 22

liberty2897
06-22-2013, 10:17 AM
http://falkvinge.net/2013/06/22/petition-to-preemptively-pardon-ed-snowden-reaches-goal-of-100k-signatures/

The Whitehouse petition to pre-emptively pardon NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden for “crimes he may have committed while blowing the whistle” has reached its goal of 100,000 signatures. This means that the U.S. Administration, by its own rules, need to take it seriously enough to craft a response to it. While that response is unlikely to be anything else than “we politely disagree and intend to impolitely hunt this man down”, it is still an important signal of dissent.

continued...

[edit]
I don't know if it is a signal of dissent, but I think it is at least a signal of good intentions. It will be interesting to see what response it generates. I didn't sign it (or any other white-house petition). It just feels too much like groveling at the feet of the king. I would be very happy if it did result in a pardon, but I'm not holding my breath.