PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul helps out at food pantry, meets with African American leaders

jct74
06-21-2013, 10:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMnVcrS2LOI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMnVcrS2LOI

VoluntaryAmerican
06-21-2013, 10:18 PM
nice find

alucard13mm
06-22-2013, 01:39 AM
I dunno.. Seems almost as bad as romney/ryan doing photo-ops at food kitchen... mixed feelings about this.

Sola_Fide
06-22-2013, 02:21 AM
If you arent reaching black people or hispanics or anyone else with the message of liberty, then there is no real use in reaching anyone at all. Then it all becomes a political game, and the political game simply perpetuates itself until the state brings its misery down on all of us.

jct74
06-22-2013, 02:43 AM
If you arent reaching black people or hispanics or anyone else with the message of liberty, then there is no real use in reaching anyone at all. Then it all becomes a political game, and the political game simply perpetuates itself until the state brings its misery down on all of us.

do you know what he said at the event?

Sola_Fide
06-22-2013, 03:20 AM
do you know what he said at the event?

Not at this event, but if it was anything like his appearances at the black colleges, I think they are missed opportunities. Not only are you not going to connect with minorities with the standard Republican line, its not a message that we endorse anyway. What was missing from Rand's black college speeches was the simple things like the fundamentals of liberty.

kcchiefs6465
06-22-2013, 03:21 AM
//

tod evans
06-22-2013, 03:25 AM
I think this is a good thing, not because he's talking to "blacks" or "hispanics" or any other group of politically segregated people, but because he's down in the trenches if you will.

Politicians who spend more time in their ivory towers than with their constituents tend to forget whence they came...

jct74
06-22-2013, 03:59 AM
Not at this event, but if it was anything like his appearances at the black colleges, I think they are missed opportunities. Not only are you not going to connect with minorities with the standard Republican line, its not a message that we endorse anyway. What was missing from Rand's black college speeches was the simple things like the fundamentals of liberty.

well the Howard speech was 3 months ago, I think he did fine but I don't want to rehash that all over again, here are a few things he said yesterday:

Paul has flexed his libertarian ideals in recent months amid a series of scandals and controversies in Washington. He suggested that his distrust of the federal government in the National Security Agency's controversial telephone and Internet surveillance could be shared in a minority community distrustful of police authority.

"African-Americans are arrested at four to six times the rate as white Americans, particularly for non-violent drug crimes,"

Paul said. "And so I think the idea that the government might misuse that information, might not be trustworthy, is certainly something that resonates not only here but other places."

"And I don't really think we've caught anybody through any of this," Paul continued.

"Warrants are not hard to get, but at least it's a separation between the police and the politician and the judiciary system," Paul said. "There was a time in our country when we would just say, 'Oh, people are guilty.' One of it was when we judged the guilt of African-Americans by lynching."

"People say that's a dramatic comparison," Paul said. "Well, that's why we have steps and processes to go through to make sure we don't have adjudication of guilt without a trial, without a lawyer, without a judge involved."

http://www.whas11.com/news/politics/Rand-Paul-Republicans-need-to-show-up-in-black-community---212577721.html

doesn't sound like the standard Republican line to me.

Working Poor
06-22-2013, 04:45 AM
I think not just Rand but all of us in the liberty movement need to find community opportunities to help people in need. The biggest reason for homelessness and poverty is loss of liberty and financial terrorism. Nobody understands this more than the poor and homeless.

The libs put the government between the person and oppertunity. How are we going to change that?

tod evans
06-22-2013, 04:54 AM
The libs put the government between the person and oppertunity. How are we going to change that?

Doesn't matter who put government in the way, it is in the way and the only way to shrink government is to stop funding it.

Kind of difficult when government controls the printing presses...

"Printing presses" is just a euphemism for some big 'puter in the sky that magically loads both Halliburton and EBT cards...

Neat shell game eh?

matt0611
06-22-2013, 05:17 AM
White-supremacist.

Bastiat's The Law
06-22-2013, 06:10 AM
I think not just Rand but all of us in the liberty movement need to find community opportunities to help people in need. The biggest reason for homelessness and poverty is loss of liberty and financial terrorism. Nobody understands this more than the poor and homeless.

Raises a point. We should all be doing more locally and voluntarily.

Bastiat's The Law
06-22-2013, 06:11 AM
White-supremacist.
Well played, sir.

Working Poor
06-22-2013, 06:51 AM

The government has taken over the duties of churches and other charitable organizations. People now give less to charity because they look at paying taxes as giving to charity. We all should know that there is war going on between church and state using the poor as the conduit. The church needs to get on the stick with taking care of the poor and help them become less dependent o the government. This could win elections if republicans got out in the trenches and helped people get off government assistance. Then the libs couldn't write headlines about conservatives hating the poor and wanting to push the poor down by taking away their food stamps. Republicans need to help create conditions where people no longer need food stamps.

Rocco
06-22-2013, 09:35 AM
It's not even just charities, it's civic organizations too that are non charitable. Anyone can tailor community involvement to their interests. For example, I have become an assistant coach on my towns high school football team and joined the sports boosters club. I can tell you that the people you meet and the connections you make pay huge dividends. If you're into acting there are community theaters in many places looking for volunteers. If you are very religious volunteering for the church is a natural fit. If you are physically fit and don't mind danger maybe become a volunteer fire fighter. Hell, if none of those appeal to you, there are still clubs like the Lions club, the Free Masons and the Elks who's entire purpose is making these sorts of connections. There's a million things you can do to further your cause locally that can still be a lot of fun if you are passionate about what you are doing.

BAllen
06-22-2013, 10:13 AM
The Dems push to eliminate tax deductible charities, so they can be the only game in town to 'help' the poor.

liveandletlive
06-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Minorities resent Republicans because Reagan cut the entitlement programs on hunger in America while increasing the military spending. And yes, it will always look bad to these poor Latinos and blacks that we espouse "tax cuts for the wealthy" as oppose to feeding poor kids. Minorities will always resent Republicans and especially Libertarians who want to do away with food stamps entirely.

Liberals don't believe in charitable giving as the best solution, they want the government. It is what it is. When Rand does go to these functions, he should just leave the cameras out and just help people out of the goodness of his heart. It's not like he's winning any votes.

anaconda
06-22-2013, 03:38 PM
I dunno.. Seems almost as bad as romney/ryan doing photo-ops at food kitchen... mixed feelings about this.

Rand always seems sincere to me. His outreach to African Americans is no exception. Romney Ryan were establishment stooges. Rand is doing the right thing.

cajuncocoa
06-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Some of us already do.

anaconda
06-22-2013, 04:21 PM

You have worded this beautifully. Your words are profound. And Rand would do well to phrase his message this way as he interacts with the African American community. I have the feeling that Rand is into this minority outreach way more than most of us think. I think he is 101% sincere and will surprise people.

MelissaWV
06-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Minorities resent Republicans because Reagan cut the entitlement programs on hunger in America while increasing the military spending. And yes, it will always look bad to these poor Latinos and blacks that we espouse "tax cuts for the wealthy" as oppose to feeding poor kids. Minorities will always resent Republicans and especially Libertarians who want to do away with food stamps entirely.

Liberals don't believe in charitable giving as the best solution, they want the government. It is what it is. When Rand does go to these functions, he should just leave the cameras out and just help people out of the goodness of his heart. It's not like he's winning any votes.

Weird. As a minority (three or four times over, actually), I never gave this a bit of thought, and definitely don't fit any of the things you've said. In fact, I don't know any other minority that does think about it this way..

anaconda
06-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Weird. As a minority (three or four times over, actually), I never gave this a bit of thought, and definitely don't fit any of the things you've said. In fact, I don't know any other minority that does think about it this way..

Would love it if you expanded a bit on this, if you have time at some point.

I have a feeling that Rand may be embarking on an epic outreach to minority voters and may shock the living daylights out of the establishment. And surprise us as well.

Bastiat's The Law
06-22-2013, 05:24 PM
The government increases learned helplessness and completely demoralizes the most vulnerable individuals in our society.

anaconda
06-22-2013, 05:42 PM
The government increases learned helplessness and completely demoralizes the most vulnerable individuals in our society.

Summed up perfectly.

Sola_Fide
06-22-2013, 05:50 PM
well the Howard speech was 3 months ago, I think he did fine but I don't want to rehash that all over again, here are a few things he said yesterday:

http://www.whas11.com/news/politics/Rand-Paul-Republicans-need-to-show-up-in-black-community---212577721.html

doesn't sound like the standard Republican line to me.

Not quite the Republican line, but not quite liberty either. To me, that is the most frustrating thing.

anaconda
06-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Not quite the Republican line, but not quite liberty either. To me, that is the most frustrating thing.

I am tonight the opposite of "frustrated." Rand is embarking on a war for the support of minority voters. It seems to have begun: NOW.

jct74
06-22-2013, 08:16 PM

Cheer up man... we still have Ron out there doing his thing speaking out in the way that way he does (which you obviously find much more preferable).. he's still out in the media and on the college campuses spreading the liberty message in the purest and most blunt way possible... so that is something we have that we can all be very thankful for. Rand on the other hand has always had a bit of a different approach, a bit more politically minded approach which has its upsides and its downsides just as Ron's approach does.. but I don't think he is going to change his tactics... so there is not much good in being continually downtrodden about it.

AlexAmore
06-22-2013, 09:25 PM

I'm not sure. I think a libertarian can legitimately target a race with an emphasis of the liberty message, if that race has been targeted by government.

Krzysztof Lesiak
06-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Rand's a pretty cool guy.

PaulConventionWV
06-22-2013, 11:04 PM

For Christ's sake, you people are insane.

FriedChicken
06-23-2013, 07:31 AM
Rand did very good in that interview. Saying things like "Republicans need to show in places we haven't been" is really good - a common thing I've heard is that parties won't admit when they've been wrong. Rand is basically admitting or saying that minorities have a reason to be skeptical of republicans (whether or not that is true) but that he personally apologizes and wants to welcome them to the party.

In a lot of political training I've got you're told to never go after your oppositions votes unless you have a personal connection with the individual - there's a lot of mathematics showing that to be wise. Instead stick to your own and focus mostly on getting everyone that will vote for you to the polls.

Rand is breaking from that traditional advice and its extremely exciting to see and I hope it works out.

BAllen
06-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Not sure pandering is a good idea. He's trying to use government as an oppressive tool that has kept blacks out of success. But, the reality is that it has kept us ALL out of success to some extent. Even more so with whites, due to affirmative action and quota laws. No, I would spread the message of less regulations to help us all. Free commerce without expensive regulations would allow people to thrive working for themselves, and provide cheaper services. A mower is a lawn care service. A washer and dryer is a laundry service. A car is a taxi service. Get people thinking along these lines for the message of liberty. This would also improve working conditions for those who are employed by corps. Right now, they have the edge and can work people swing shifts. 2nd one night, then short turnaround on 1st the next day, etc.

PaulConventionWV
06-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Not sure pandering is a good idea. He's trying to use government as an oppressive tool that has kept blacks out of success. But, the reality is that it has kept us ALL out of success to some extent. Even more so with whites, due to affirmative action and quota laws. No, I would spread the message of less regulations to help us all. Free commerce without expensive regulations would allow people to thrive working for themselves, and provide cheaper services. A mower is a lawn care service. A washer and dryer is a laundry service. A car is a taxi service. Get people thinking along these lines for the message of liberty. This would also improve working conditions for those who are employed by corps. Right now, they have the edge and can work people swing shifts. 2nd one night, then short turnaround on 1st the next day, etc.

How is Rand trying to use government as an oppressive tool?

BAllen
06-23-2013, 10:00 AM

I never said he was. He was using the example of government being used to keep blacks down. Now government keeps whites down with quotas, affirmative action, unfair housing, etc.
The point should be made that government keeps us ALL down.

FriedChicken
06-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Government keeps us all down. You're right. And in many instances it purposely makes things harder for white people.

But in other instances blacks and other minorities draw the short straw. I think it good to point that out, show that you recognize the problem's existence.

Right now Rand is gearing for a dump truck load of smears to be thrown at him, it is very important he establishes himself as a friend to minorities when MSM continually calls him a racist.
After that label is defeated hopefully we can all move past the grouping of individuals into "racial" groups ... but right now we live in a world where saying "I actually don't even believe in races- I believe in the human race" is called a racist statement.

MelissaWV
06-23-2013, 02:24 PM

I never said he was.

He's trying to use government as an oppressive tool that has kept blacks out of success.

This is where things get confusing.

FriedChicken
06-23-2013, 03:05 PM
This is where things get confusing.

I caught that too but figured by the end of that post he meant Rand is trying to use argument that government is an oppressive tool - just misspoke and said something else.

BAllen
06-23-2013, 07:33 PM
I caught that too but figured by the end of that post he meant Rand is trying to use argument that government is an oppressive tool - just misspoke and said something else.

Let me clarify. He was only using the example of oppression against BLACKS. He was playing the race card........bad idea! Blacks get enough of that victim shit from the Marxists! We don't need to feed that beast any longer! Whites are oppressed by it just as much, if not more. Why doesn't he mention this, as well? As I have said before, remove the regulations that will allow people to work for themselves, instead of some greedy corp. that pays shit wages with shitty hours. Allow people to help themselves, rather than play 'victim'. Victimhood is a major tool of the Marxists. We need to break that, and RP is on the wrong path to do so!