PDA

View Full Version : 700 US combat troops to remain in Jordan until security situation improves

tsai3904
06-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Obama's letter to Congress per the War Powers Resolution:

Letter from the President -- Regarding the War Powers Resolution

Dear Mr. Speaker: (Dear Mr. President)

Certain U.S. forces recently deployed to Jordan solely to participate in a training exercise. This exercise ended on June 20, 2013. At the request of the Government of Jordan, a combat-equipped detachment of approximately 700 of these forces remained in Jordan after the conclusion of the exercise to join other U.S. forces already in Jordan.

This detachment that participated in the exercise and remained in Jordan includes Patriot missile systems, fighter aircraft, and related support, command, control, and communications personnel and systems. The detachment will remain in Jordan, in full coordination with the Government of Jordan, until the security situation becomes such that it is no longer needed.

The deployment of this detachment has been directed in furtherance of U.S. national security and foreign policy interests, including the important national interests in supporting the security of Jordan and promoting regional stability, pursuant to my constitutional authority to conduct U.S. foreign relations and as Commander in Chief and Chief Executive.

I am providing this report as part of my efforts to keep the Congress fully informed, consistent with the War Powers Resolution (Public Law 93-148). I appreciate the support of the Congress in these actions.

Sincerely,

BARACK OBAMA

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/06/21/letter-president-regarding-war-powers-resolution

AngryCanadian
06-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Note hidden Syrian Conflict Phrases.

Government of Jordan, a combat-equipped detachment of approximately 700 of these forces remained in Jordan after the conclusion of the exercise to join other U.S. forces already in Jordan.

1000 U.S. Marines from the 24th MEU Land in Jordan (http://perrya.hubpages.com/hub/1000-US-Marines-from-the-24th-MEU-Land-in-Jordan)

But these troops are really not part of the exercise. The US Central Command spokesman Lt. Col. T.G. Taylor clearly made this clear to the US media, “In order to enhance the defensive posture and capacity of Jordan, some of these assets may remain beyond the exercise at the request of the government of Jordan.”

Plus.

The deployment of this detachment has been directed in furtherance of U.S. national security and foreign policy interests, including the important national interests in supporting the security of Jordan and promoting regional stability

And here's the propaganda by Jordan.
No US troops to remain in Jordan after ‘Eager Lion’ — Ensour (http://jordantimes.com/no-us-troops-to-remain-in-jordan-after-eager-lion----ensour)

At a meeting with media representatives and political and economic columnists, the premier stressed that the government has asked the US administration to keep Patriot missile-defence batteries and F-16 warplanes in the Kingdom after the execution of the military drill, but requested that no troops remain.

Do they think that we are stupid?