PDA

View Full Version : Cop, dog, child

Brian4Liberty
06-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Sad story.

Pit Bull Kills 6-Year-Old Nephi Selu, Dog Owner is California Bay Area Cop

By Denise A Justin, Wed, June 19, 2013

A Pit Bull belonging to the uncle of a 6-year-old boy killed the child in a sudden attack during a play session in the backyard of the home of the boy’s grandparents on Elizabeth Way in Union City, in the San Francisco Bay area, on Monday. The Pit Bull’s owner is a San Mateo police officer, authorities and a family spokesman said Tuesday.

The tragic incident occurred at about 11:30 a.m., according to an NBC Bay Area report. Police Commander Ben Horner, said it looked as though the boy had been bitten on the head by the dog after he had been "actively playing" with the pet. It is believed the boy may have tried to climb on the dog's back right before the fatal bite.

"It's a mystery as to why the dog chose yesterday to bite the young man," Horner said.
Family members told investigators the dog had never shown any signs of aggression and said the two-year-old male Pit Bull had regularly played in the yard with up to eight or nine children.

"He played with kids, very obedient, he was never allowed in the house, stayed right at the door, so we never had any problems with him at all," the boy's aunt, Iona Keanaaina, told KGO-TV.
"This dog has never even barked at these kids," Rains said. "You can't figure out what happened. He was just playing with him and the next thing that happened is the dog bit the child."

The dog was in compliance with anti-rabies shots and licensing requirements, Horner added, but was impounded by animal control for a routine ten-day period for observation. According to the NBC report the family does not want to the dog back.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/animal-rights/pit-bull-kills-6-year-old-nephi-selu-dog-owner-california-bay-area-cop

belian78
06-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Doesn't matter the type of dog, never leave a dog and young child unattended. Sad story. I have no idea, but based just off this article, I imagine the child was hurting the dog unintentionally and the dog reacted. It just so happens that a bull terrier type dog has a very strong bite, so what was supposed to be a 'hey I don't like that' turned into a fatal bite.

angelatc
06-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I agree with Belian78. When I was in high school, my best friend's toddler niece was killed by her grandfather's Husky. They had never seen any sign of aggression out of the dog. The baby was in the fenced yard with the dog, and...

Well, that was one of the saddest funerals I've ever attended. I can still cry thinking about it.

In that instance, the dog was dead before the police got there. The Grandfather shot him immediately with the .22 he kept by the door.

Brian4Liberty
06-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Doesn't matter the type of dog, never leave a dog and young child unattended. Sad story. I have no idea, but based just off this article, I imagine the child was hurting the dog unintentionally and the dog reacted. It just so happens that a bull terrier type dog has a very strong bite, so what was supposed to be a 'hey I don't like that' turned into a fatal bite.

Yeah, that's the key. It's the power if the animal and the damage they can do that's important. Even domesticated animals sometimes act out. Damn cats get you more than dogs do. Miniature dogs can "act out" and you may not even know it.

Brian4Liberty
06-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I agree with Belian78. When I was in high school, my best friend's toddler niece was killed by her grandfather's Husky. They had never seen any sign of aggression out of the dog. The baby was in the fenced yard with the dog, and...

Well, that was one of the saddest funerals I've ever attended. I can still cry thinking about it.

In that instance, the dog was dead before the police got there. The Grandfather shot him immediately with the .22 he kept by the door.

I used to work with a guy whose pit bull killed his toddler niece. Everyone was standing right there. The kid started to make a dash (as toddlers tend to do), and the dog immediately saw it as prey. One bite to the head was all it took.