PDA

View Full Version : 25,000 bees found dead in oregon parking lot

UWDude
06-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Hatfield estimated at least 25,000 dead bumble bees at the site. That number likely represents a loss of more than 150 colonies.

Dead honey bees, lady bird beetles and other insects were also found at the site.

Read more: http://q13fox.com/2013/06/19/mystery-up-to-25000-dead-bees-found-outside-store/#ixzz2WnDDKwtK

Might be the trees, might be pestidcides

tangent4ronpaul
06-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Toxicity

Linden tree flower nectar is safe for honeybees in low amounts, but poisonous in excess amounts. Honeybees are most likely to become poisoned under certain environmental stressors, such as abnormally low soil moisture in the bee's foraging area, which will force the bee to take in too much nectar from the linden tree's flowers. Otherwise, in normal environmental conditions, honeybees can safely pollinate the linden tree's flowers.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_8035645_linden-tree-toxic-honeybees.html

-t

UWDude
06-23-2013, 02:06 AM
and it was pesticide used to kill aphids
http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/Latest-News-Wires/2013/0622/Bee-kill-off-in-parking-lot.-Pesticide-blamed

now they have to cover the trees in bee proof netting, because the pollen is still attracting bees, but the pesticide is still killing them.

tod evans
06-23-2013, 02:30 AM
25k is less than one established hive, really not something to get in an uproar over...

Now some of the GMO's that are literally eradicating hundreds of hives..........................

UWDude
06-23-2013, 03:12 AM
25k is less than one established hive, really not something to get in an uproar over...

Now some of the GMO's that are literally eradicating hundreds of hives..........................

Hatfield estimated at least 25,000 dead bumble bees at the site. That number likely represents a loss of more than 150 colonies.

Nobexliberty
06-23-2013, 03:14 AM
Must have been a stingy death.

bolil
06-23-2013, 03:19 AM

All them bees do is sting. MERICA! Bees and Muslims are peas in a pod. They up and stang a mother without any provocation. MERICA!

tod evans
06-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Counting bees is pretty difficult, but this fellow says what the old-timers around here say....

How Many Honey Bees Can Live in a Typical Langstroth Hive?

http://mudsongs.org/how-many-honey-bees-can-live-in-a-typical-langstroth-hive/

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-UheGXGEaXUQ/TIokHtgDG7I/AAAAAAAAMQg/_RoiJuOQ9dw/s800/IMG_0241.JPG
I don’t know how many honey bees can live in a typical Langstroth hive. I’ve had experienced beekeepers tell me that 25,000 to 30,000 bees can live in a single deep super. Assuming that a typical Langstroth hive consists of two deep supers, that’s 50,000 to 60,000 bee per hive. I’ve heard those numbers thrown around more than once. But who was the first person to count the number of bees in a hive? How were those numbers confirmed? I have no idea.

This topic came up in a conversation I had with a someone on Google Plus today. I threw out the 50,000-bees-per-hive number I’ve been told many times, and then I immediately questioned it and decided to take some measurements and crunch my own numbers. This is what I came up with:

• Each deep frame has 3,300 cells on each side. I counted the cells on a sheet of plastic foundation. The exact number was 3,276, but I rounded up to 3,300 to account for the cells that are used to fill the edges of the frame.
• One bee-length is 3 cells long. How do I know? I went outside and brought in a five dead bees. The average length was 1.6cm, the exact length of 3 cells on the foundation. (I measured that too.)
• Therefore each side of a frame provides enough surface space for 1,100 bees.
• A frame has two sides, so that’s 2,200 bees per frame.
• 10 frames per box means 22,000 bees per box.
• Two boxes per hive = 44,000 bees.
That’s probably a more realistic number, at least for a hive with 10-frame spacing restricted to two deep boxes. I can imagine the population of my full hives got higher than 44,000 this year, especially after the honey supers gave them more room.
But does anyone have any hard data on the typical population of honey bees inside a Langstroth hive…? Anybody?

libertyjam
06-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Except bumble bees are ground dwellers, not hive dwellers like honey bees. Also much larger.

tod evans
06-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Except bumble bees are ground dwellers, not hive dwellers like honey bees. Also much larger.

Thanks for the education, I had no idea.:o

angelatc
06-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the education, I had no idea.:o

You don't have bumble bees where you live? We had a nest in the ground last year, right off the back porch. They don't use the same nest every year, so I tolerated them only because i knew they would not be back this year. They're not aggressive at all, but they're curious, and it was sort of a struggle not to swat them and run when they were buzzing around.

tod evans
06-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Only thing I've seen build hives in the ground is hornets...:eek:

I'm sure bumble bees are probably around but I've not encountered them...

[edit]

If you ever roll over a hornets nest with a hay-rake you'll know what I'm talking about.

The closest pond is always to far!

angelatc
06-23-2013, 07:53 AM

Wow - I can't get over that! :)

They're huge - probably 2-3 x's the size of a regular ol' honey bee. And they're sort of furry.

If you had them, you'd know it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-f42QXdY014M/TViAEjmqXrI/AAAAAAAAAsY/VMar-0mopdY/s1600/bumble_bee.jpg

tod evans
06-23-2013, 07:56 AM
I see 'em buzzing sometimes but honestly there are so many bugs in the Ozarks if they're not stinging you or trying to burrow under your skin I don't pay much attention...

libertyjam
06-23-2013, 08:01 AM

[edit]

If you ever roll over a hornets nest with a hay-rake you'll know what I'm talking about.

The closest pond is always to far!

Well a bumble bee is similar to a hornet in that if you are ever stung by one, it feels exactly like being hit rather hard with a ball-peen hammer. At least to me that is. They are very docile normally, but get quite aggressive when you get close to their nest.

green73
06-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Bumblebee memorial scheduled for Sunday (http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2013/06/bumblebee_memorial_scheduled_f.html)

tod evans
06-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Bumblebee memorial scheduled for Sunday (http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2013/06/bumblebee_memorial_scheduled_f.html)

Oh for Pete's sake..

I hope they serve beer-n-burgers..

LibertyEagle
06-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Well a bumble bee is similar to a hornet in that if you are ever stung by one, it feels exactly like being hit rather hard with a ball-peen hammer. At least to me that is. They are very docile normally, but get quite aggressive when you get close to their nest.

I think they are quite different. If you leave bees alone, they will leave you alone. Hornets, on the other hand, are mean as all hell and if they see you, they will chase you and sting the hell out of you.

green73
06-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Oh for Pete's sake..

I hope they serve beer-n-burgers..

probably granola and incense.

torchbearer
06-27-2013, 05:17 PM

They're huge - probably 2-3 x's the size of a regular ol' honey bee. And they're sort of furry.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-f42QXdY014M/TViAEjmqXrI/AAAAAAAAAsY/VMar-0mopdY/s1600/bumble_bee.jpg

I'd rather bumble bees over carpenter bees.

http://www.buffaloexterminating.com/content/images/pest_pictures/carpenter_bee_hole.jpg
they can literally eat you out of a home, and are a major problem in this area.

heavenlyboy34
06-27-2013, 05:35 PM
I think they are quite different. If you leave bees alone, they will leave you alone. Hornets, on the other hand, are mean as all hell and if they see you, they will chase you and sting the hell out of you.
Truth^^ Of all the critters that have stung me, I reckon hornet stings smarted the most. :/

Henry Rogue
06-27-2013, 05:42 PM

I'm pretty sure i have been stung by every thing my state has to offer, honey bee, wasp, hornet. Bumble bees are the worst. Very painful and swells fast and they can sting more than once. I got stung on my thumb and eyebrow by a single bumble bee, while i was playing in my sand box.

torchbearer
06-27-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm pretty sure i have been stung by every thing my state has to offer, honey bee, wasp, hornet. Bumble bees are the worst. Very painful and swells fast and they can sting more than once. I got stung on my thumb and eyebrow by a single bumble bee, while i was playing in my sand box.

i never found them to be aggressive, just curious.
the only times i've ever been stung are by just running into the bee as i walk. your two paths could have collided, he responded by natural impulse to an attack. (he isn't seeking to kill, only defend)

Henry Rogue
06-27-2013, 05:58 PM
i never found them to be aggressive, just curious.
the only times i've ever been stung are by just running into the bee as i walk. your two paths could have collided, he responded by natural impulse to an attack. (he isn't seeking to kill, only defend) I was young and i had heard that you should remain still, so i froze. It landed on my eyebrow and stung me there, I went to my face with my little hand and he stung me in the thumb. Funny I can picture my hand as a child's now after all these years. I guess it's the image of that big ol' bee on my little thumb. I learned my lesson, if there is a bumble bee around leave. I also heard from a neighbor kid that you should run in a zigzag pattern, LOL.

green73
06-27-2013, 05:58 PM
One of my earliest memories. probably because it was so traumatic... There was party at my nextdoor neighbor's house. The honkytonk music was blaring loud from the basement. My parents were in there. I eluded the the babysitter. I needed to check this out. I wandered over to the house. They had those basement windows that stick up from the ground. I kneeled down to peak inside. To my bewilderment the neighbor lady was dressed in burlesque, dancing on top of the bar. My dad was there hooting and hollering with the rest of the men from the neighborhood. Where was my mom? Suddenly, a fiery pain shot up from my knee, and as I looked down, a dark cloud of bumble bees rose up and enveloped me. I screamed like a banshee as they chased me back to by house. That's the last thing I remember. Fucking bees.

Henry Rogue
06-27-2013, 06:26 PM
One of my earliest memories. probably because it was so traumatic... There was party at my nextdoor neighbor's house. The honkytonk music was blaring loud from the basement. My parents were in there. I eluded the the babysitter. I needed to check this out. I wandered over to the house. They had those basement windows that stick up from the ground. I kneeled down to peak inside. To my bewilderment the neighbor lady was dressed in burlesque, dancing on top of the bar. My dad was there hooting and hollering with the rest of the men from the neighborhood. Where was my mom? Suddenly, a fiery pain shot up from my knee, and as I looked down, a dark cloud of bumble bees rose up and enveloped me. I screamed like a banshee as they chased me back to by house. That's the last thing I remember. Fucking bees.
Damn, that could give you nightmares. Was the neighbor lady good looking?

ClydeCoulter
06-27-2013, 06:54 PM
I love to see the bees (except the carpenter ones, they are eating my house). My vegie garden, herb garden and fruit trees love to see the bees.

I try not to mow the yard when the white clover is blooming, even though I know it aggravates my neighbors (they start mowing over on my side a little farther like 12-15 feet or so). The white clover attracts them then they will see the flowers in the gardens. I bet the honey from the herb garden pollen would be some really good stuff.