PDA

View Full Version : Chipotle Is The First U.S. Fast Food Chain To Identify Products With GMO Ingredients

QuickZ06
06-19-2013, 02:25 PM
How could they do this without the government telling them to do so? This is madness!

Sure, you probably know the basic ingredients in your fast food lunch — chicken or beef, lettuce and tomato, whathaveyou — after all, you’re the one who ordered it. But if you, like many consumers, care whether or not those ingredients include genetically modified organisms (GMOs), the ingredient list usually is no help. Chipotle announced that it will now mark those ingredients on its website for discerning consumers.

NaturalNews says that with this new effort, Chipotle is the first U.S. fast food chain to label GMOs in its food, even if only on the web site and not on menus in stores. The pink “G” stands for GMOs on each of its ingredients, along with the other keys for “Local” food or “Responsibly raised meats.”

While there’s still a lot of debate over whether or not its unhealthy to grow and consume GMOs, environmental and consumer advocates have been pushing for change in how such information is presented to consumers.

It’s worth noting, as Businessweek points out, that although Chipotle implemented this system back in March, no one has really noticed or paid attention until now. And that’s just the first step, says Chipotle:

“Our goal is to eliminate GMOs from Chipotle’s ingredients, and we’re working hard to meet this challenge,” the company explains. “For example, we recently switched our fryers from soybean oil to sunflower oil. Soybean oil is almost always made from genetically modified soybeans, while there is no commercially available GMO sunflower oil. Where our food contains currently unavoidable GM ingredients, it is only in the form of corn or soy.”

http://consumerist.com/2013/06/19/chipotle-is-the-first-u-s-fast-food-chain-to-identify-products-with-gmo-ingredients/

Link to Chipotle Ingredients...

http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/ingredients_statement/ingredients_statement.aspx

If you’re horrified by the prospect of eating food containing genes that were altered by some industrial food giant, Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) will tell you what’s what in its ingredients. Just don’t expect to be eating much that’s on the menu, at least for now. Go with pork carnitas, sour cream, and guacamole. Forget about pretty much everything else: The menu is heavy on genetically modified organisms (GMOs), from the chicken to the tortillas.

Chipotle’s chicken, for example, is classified as a “responsibly raised meat” grown humanely and without antibiotics or hormones. In some locations, however, the responsible chicken is cooked in soybean oil, nearly all of which comes from modified soybeans in the U.S.—hence the “G” label on chicken. Similarly, the fajita vegetables are both organic and “local,” a designation for any food that’s from a farm within 350 miles of the Chipotle outlet that serves it, such as the romaine lettuce and guacamole the chain sells. The veggies, too, are sometimes cooked in soybean oil, depending on location.

The chain began labeling its ingredients in March on its website, including such details as “pasture-raised dairy” for the sour cream and cheeses. There are no plans to post the data on the menu boards in restaurants because of the boards’ “limited real estate,” Chipotle spokesman Chris Arnold says. The company hasn’t noticed any change in sales due to the menu disclosure. “It’s not a concern to us that we’re going to lose business over this,” says Arnold. “If anything, it engenders more trust when you’re more forthcoming about the food you serve. Any downside there may be … is going to be eclipsed by the upside with being transparent.”

The chain is working to reduce the GMO content of its ingredients but doesn’t expect to achieve a 100 percent GMO-free menu, given the nature of the U.S. food industry, Arnold says. “Our food system is so dominated by these big industrial food producers.”

To get away from one heavily modified crop, the company is switching from soybean oil to sunflower oil for frying taco shells; the change is expected to be completed by Sept. 1. The chain is also experimenting with rice bran oil in some markets, to reduce the use of soybean oil. Along with the modified organisms, the company also labels foods that contain hydrogenated oils and preservatives in a “room for improvement” section.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-18/the-genetically-modified-burrito-chipotle-tells-all

Weston White
06-19-2013, 03:06 PM
This is why Chipotle is the bee's knees and always gets my business.

BuddyRey
06-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Have they also agreed to list any and all ingredients in Chipotle that make people bleed into their underwear?

ZENemy
06-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Impressive, Im sure monsanto will find a way to subvert this but for now, the genie is out the bottle.

WM_in_MO
06-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Must... eat... chipotle...

QuickZ06
06-19-2013, 03:49 PM
This is why Chipotle is the bee's knees and always gets my business.

Yep and they bought 15 millions lbs of produce total from local farmers in 2012 alone. Eat more support local farmers!

jllundqu
06-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Way to go! Chipotle = WINNING

Brian4Liberty
06-19-2013, 04:05 PM
For example, we recently switched our fryers from soybean oil to sunflower oil. Soybean oil is almost always made from genetically modified soybeans, while there is no commercially available GMO sunflower oil.

Ugh. My favorite chips are made with soybean oil.

donnay
06-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Way to go Chipotle for being a leader!

donnay
06-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Ugh. My favorite chips are made with soybean oil.

Newest Research On Why You Should Avoid Soy
http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

Drano Used in Processing Soybeans :eek:

This one I didn’t believe, but it’s true. The next step is that the refined oil is mixed with sodium hydroxide – NaOH – which most of us know as Drano, at a temperature of 167°F. That’s right – the exact same corrosive lye you pour down your drain when it’s clogged. (Erasmus, p 96) The purpose of adding this corrosive is to remove any free fatty acids which may be ‘contaminating’ the ‘pure’ refined oil. Anyone for a Dranoburger? -

Source:
http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/soy/magic-bean/#sthash.McPUnlkC.dpuf

Ditch the Soy – It's Really Not Good For You
http://www.realfooduniversity.com/ditch-the-soy/

libertyjam
06-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Newest Research On Why You Should Avoid Soy
http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

Drano Used in Processing Soybeans :eek:

-

Source:
http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/soy/magic-bean/#sthash.McPUnlkC.dpuf

Ditch the Soy – It's Really Not Good For You
http://www.realfooduniversity.com/ditch-the-soy/

I believe that the same process is used with any refined vegetable oils, including the sunflower oil that they will be replacing it with, which is then "washed" to remove any unreacted NaOH. Incidentally the very same process is a step in converting used fryer oil into fuel.

And the sunflower oil, I wouldn't use that at home to fry with due too not having a high heating value, so not thrilled about restaurants that use it to fry with.

axiomata
06-19-2013, 06:29 PM
But have they figured out how not to blow my gut?

In regards to the OP, good for them. Now hopefully you people will reward them with business instead of pestering big brother to add additional FDA regulations.

Alex Libman
06-19-2013, 06:37 PM
GMO is good.

Identifying GMO is good also.

QuickZ06
06-19-2013, 06:48 PM

In regards to the OP, good for them. Now hopefully you people will reward them with business instead of pestering big brother to add additional FDA regulations.

Exactly. And go Cards!

MelissaWV
06-19-2013, 07:04 PM

Not sure what is "blowing your gut" at Chipotle. They can't help it if you have a bad reaction, naturally, to beans or to whatever salsa it is you are choosing.

Brian4Liberty
06-19-2013, 07:41 PM
I believe that the same process is used with any refined vegetable oils, including the sunflower oil that they will be replacing it with, which is then "washed" to remove any unreacted NaOH. Incidentally the very same process is a step in converting used fryer oil into fuel.

Yeah, the process isn't exactly as wholesome as people would think. Supposedly, Extra Virgin Olive Oil is just pressed, with no chemical processing. Then again, they say there is massive fraud in the industry too.

axiomata
06-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Not sure what is "blowing your gut" at Chipotle. They can't help it if you have a bad reaction, naturally, to beans or to whatever salsa it is you are choosing.

I eat mexican generally and qdoba frequently without problem. Might have just been a couple unlucky experiences but that's all it takes.

MelissaWV
06-19-2013, 08:09 PM
I eat mexican generally and qdoba frequently without problem. Might have just been a couple unlucky experiences but that's all it takes.

ahhh true. Bad food handling is actually much more likely at something like Chipotle because all it takes is the kid on the grill to pass off undercooked chicken, or cross-contaminate to the veggies.

fearthereaperx
06-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Chipotle is the only fast food place that I have yet to get sick from. Great company.

bolil
06-19-2013, 08:14 PM
I've worked at Chipotle, and other restaurants, and they are actually pretty good as far as food safety, freshness, and quality. Other places I've sweated at not so much.

I cooked at one for three months or so, hard work. Had to polish the vent hood every night at closing.

The company tries to stupid proof cooking by having separate tongs/knives each for poultry, steak, and greens. They set their own minimum temperatures for cooking and holding, which I am pretty sure I agreed not to divulge. Cross contamination, so I was told at time of hire, results in being fired. No second chances. Quite a good company indeed, my boss was tough but fair. That being said, some people just don't care about making other people sick.

I cannot even tell you how much of a pain it is to rapid cool cooked pork, keeping a temperature log every 15minutes. I was the only cook I knew that actually followed procedure on that one.

libertyjam
06-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Chipotle is the only fast food place that I have yet to get sick from. Great company.

The worst food poisoning I've ever had was from a Taco Cabana.

QuickZ06
06-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Bump!