PDA

View Full Version : Obama: "Catholic Education Divides People, Blocks Peace"

Elias Graves
06-19-2013, 12:57 PM
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/06/19/obama-offends-catholics-in-the-uk-says-religious-schools-are-divisive-78053

http://www.sconews.co.uk/news/29253/us-president-undermines-catholic-schools-after-vatican-prefect-praised-them/

“If towns remain divided—if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs, if we can’t see ourselves in one another and fear or resentment are allowed to harden—that too encourages division and discourages cooperation."

PaulConventionWV
06-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Diversity is allowed... just not religious diversity.

moostraks
06-19-2013, 01:08 PM
I really detest this President. So do tell where shall we be educated? And whom is going to tell us the right way to believe so that we may further society?Ah, yes the government. All diverse opinions not government sanctioned will one day be said to be hate speech and destructive to the good ends of a peaceful society. :mad:

Elias Graves
06-19-2013, 01:17 PM
I really detest this President. So do tell where shall we be educated? And whom is going to tell us the right way to believe so that we may further society?Ah, yes the government. All diverse opinions not government sanctioned will one day be said to be hate speech and destructive to the good ends of a peaceful society. :mad:

Now you're getting it! Join the party and all your worries will disappear.

Zippyjuan
06-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Segregating society (on economic, racial, religious, or political lines) divides people. Ireland has been the Catholics vs the Protestants for centuries. It was not that Catholic schools divide society.

More of the speech from where that single line was taken:

"Because issues like segregated schools and housing, lack of jobs and opportunity--symbols of history that are a source of pride for some and pain for others--these are not tangential to peace; they’re essential to it," said Obama. "If towns remain divided--if Catholics have their schools and buildings, and Protestants have theirs--if we can’t see ourselves in one another, if fear or resentment are allowed to harden, that encourages division. It discourages cooperation.

"Ultimately, peace is just not about politics," he said. "It’s about attitudes; about a sense of empathy; about breaking down the divisions that we create for ourselves in our own minds and our own hearts that don’t exist in any objective reality, but that we carry with us generation after generation.

"And I know, because America, we, too, have had to work hard over the decades, slowly, gradually, sometimes painfully, in fits and starts, to keep perfecting our union," said Obama. "A hundred and fifty years ago, we were torn open by a terrible conflict. Our Civil War was far shorter than The Troubles, but it killed hundreds of thousands of our people. And, of course, the legacy of slavery endured for generations.

"Even a century after we achieved our own peace, we were not fully united," he said. "When I was a boy, many cities still had separate drinking fountains and lunch counters and washrooms for blacks and whites"
- See more at: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obama-if-catholics-have-their-schools-and-buildings-and-protestants-have-theirs#sthash.ZSE5YZay.dpuf

tod evans
06-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Any school besides federally funded, state sanctioned, public schools!

Churches, community groups, even private business does a better job than the fed...

Just say NO to federally mandated homogenization.

VIDEODROME
06-19-2013, 01:56 PM
I think there can be friction between different religions and schools. Forcing them both together in a Federal school will gaurantee it.

Anti Federalist
06-19-2013, 01:59 PM
"And I know, because America, we, too, have had to work hard over the decades, slowly, gradually, sometimes painfully, in fits and starts, to keep perfecting our union," said Obama. "A hundred and fifty years ago, we were torn open by a terrible conflict. Our Civil War was far shorter than The Troubles, but it killed hundreds of thousands of our people. And, of course, the legacy of slavery endured for generations.

And as divided as ever

Ender
06-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Any school besides federally funded, state sanctioned, public schools!

Churches, community groups, even private business does a better job than the fed...

Just say NO to federally mandated homogenization.

I am in agreement with this statement, however, the forum has been a bit confusing lately.

No mandated homogenization; everyone should be the diversity they wish to be- except for despicable Mexican immigrants, who must be exactly like the rest of us. :confused:

Elias Graves
06-19-2013, 02:33 PM
I am in agreement with this statement, however, the forum has been a bit confusing lately.

No mandated homogenization; everyone should be the diversity they wish to be- except for despicable Mexican immigrants, who must be exactly like the rest of us. :confused:

Only to the point of being equal under the law. Yes, everyone should be the same in that regard.
And the only thing despicable about them is when they enter illegally.
Large Mexican American population where I live. For the most part, they make great employees, good neighbors and loyal friends.