PDA

View Full Version : Privatise liquor stores and you wont live to see your kids grow up

Origanalist
06-18-2013, 09:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ftk9K7WhMf4

CPUd
06-18-2013, 09:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vaiXT4a.png

Origanalist
06-18-2013, 09:56 PM

And buying liquor has been sooooo much of a better experience ever since. Priced dropped (on many items, not all), and the selection expanded immensely. There is a huge liquor store in Bellevue that is the size of a warehouse with a entire isle devoted to just bourbon for instance and a whole monstrous section with a thousand different micro-brews etc. etc.

Brian4Liberty
06-18-2013, 09:58 PM
It's for the children!!!

(The government/Union monopoly on distribution of this product).

Origanalist
06-18-2013, 10:00 PM
It's for the children!!!

(The government/Union monopoly on distribution of this product).

Isn't it always? :rolleyes:

ClydeCoulter
06-18-2013, 10:07 PM
I know, right? Here in Indiana where it's privatized, our population is dropping something fierce, all the parents and teen kids dying and shit.

edit: I know guys who died before their great grand kids were in high school, all because beer was cheaper at the privatized liquor store.

edit: oh, and /sarc

Occam's Banana
06-18-2013, 10:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ftk9K7WhMf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHLdg_VNww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHLdg_VNww

bunklocoempire
06-18-2013, 10:31 PM

Hawaii has none? What am I missing here..

DEPARTMENT OF LIQUOR CONTROL
East Hawai‘i: Hilo Lagoon Center, 101 Aupuni Street, Suite 230, Hilo, HI 96720
(808) 961-8218 | Fax: (808) 961-8684
West Hawai‘i: 74-5044 Ane Keohokalole Highway, Bldg B, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
(808) 323-4370 | Fax: (808) 327-3550
DIRECTOR: Gerald Takase
DESCRIPTION: A regulatory agency whose functions are to regulate the manufacture, importation, sale and consumption of intoxicating liquors and to ensure compliance to state and county laws through enforcement of these laws.
http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/liquor-control/

It's ALL "controlled" EVERYWHERE.

Love that tube. Damn those inanimate objects! Damn 'em all to hell! :rolleyes:

Brian4Liberty
06-18-2013, 10:36 PM

Pitchers of beer?

heavenlyboy34
06-18-2013, 10:54 PM
amazing how fallacious that ad is. Rather comical, really. :D

Origanalist
06-18-2013, 10:56 PM
amazing how fallacious that ad is. Rather comical, really. :D

It will pull some boobus heartstrings.

oyarde
06-19-2013, 12:17 AM
All alcohol tax should be repealed.No state would be interested once the cash cow was deflated.Fuck them. They get enough otherwise, if you cannot run a State without it, time to find new politicians to manage the till. Effing assholes.

heavenlyboy34
06-19-2013, 12:28 AM
All alcohol tax should be repealed.No state would be interested once the cash cow was deflated.Fuck them. They get enough otherwise, if you cannot run a State without it, time to find new politicians to manage the till. Effing assholes.
Anything the state governments "need" can be paid for by donations.

TheTexan
06-19-2013, 12:35 AM
If you privatize liquor ALL YOUR CHILDREN WILL DIE IN FIRES

CPUd
06-19-2013, 12:55 AM

DEPARTMENT OF LIQUOR CONTROL
East Hawai‘i: Hilo Lagoon Center, 101 Aupuni Street, Suite 230, Hilo, HI 96720
(808) 961-8218 | Fax: (808) 961-8684
West Hawai‘i: 74-5044 Ane Keohokalole Highway, Bldg B, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
(808) 323-4370 | Fax: (808) 327-3550
DIRECTOR: Gerald Takase
DESCRIPTION: A regulatory agency whose functions are to regulate the manufacture, importation, sale and consumption of intoxicating liquors and to ensure compliance to state and county laws through enforcement of these laws.
http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/liquor-control/

It's ALL "controlled" EVERYWHERE.

Love that tube. Damn those inanimate objects! Damn 'em all to hell! :rolleyes:

Every state has its own regulatory organization, but what the map is referring to are what people in the industry call 'control states'. In a state like TN, markets are divided into 4 areas corresponding to the major cities- Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga. For each brand, there can be only 1 wholesale distributor in each market. So there can be any number of distributors in a city, but only 1 of them sells Jim Beam. All of these wholesalers are private companies. What this does is create competition between the wholesalers for shelf space at the retailers. This is what keeps the prices down, and the variety high.

In a control state, there is only 1 wholesaler for the entire state, and that wholesaler is owned by the State. The smaller wineries/distilleries hate dealing with control states- they can't get them to place large orders, because the bulk of their business is with the big money, big brands. This means the consumer is probably going to buy house wines or liquor in a plastic bottle, because there is such a price gap between those and the real quality stuff.

DamianTV
06-19-2013, 12:58 AM
Make tobacco illegal and the same could be said there as well.

CPUd
06-19-2013, 01:18 AM
Some other rules for TN:

Your retail location cannot sell malt-based with wine/liquor. I know a guy who owns a large gas station; he wanted to sell liquor there too, so he had to put a wall with no door, add another door to the outside, and set up separate building addresses. You can sell mix (malt-based, low alc. content) and the rotgut stuff like Boone's Farm with beer.

There used to be a strict rule for supermarkets about not selling wine, some of the really large chains have been able to get exceptions, particularly around the holidays.

Your location must either be classified on-premise or off-premise. On-premise locations, like restaurants, can serve any kind of drink, but in cases where they bring you a container, they must open it before serving. You can't take it outside, except for outside dining areas.

You can't bring firearms into a bar. I don't know about restaurants or liquor stores.

In Louisiana, unless it's changed recently, 50 mL 'airplane' bottles are illegal. But you can go to a drive-thru and order a daquiri.

tod evans
06-19-2013, 05:28 AM
Calling all DWI apologists...

TruckinMike
06-19-2013, 05:33 AM
Make tobacco and/or coffee illegal and the same could be said there as well.
There fixed it for you...:)

jkr
06-19-2013, 05:57 AM
MAKE
all the things
ILLEGAL
!!!!!!!!

bolil
06-19-2013, 06:09 AM
Calling all DWI apologists...

You rang? :)

Origanalist
06-19-2013, 06:21 AM
MAKE
all the things
ILLEGAL
!!!!!!!!

They're working on it.

kcchiefs6465
06-19-2013, 06:27 AM
But you can go to a drive-thru and order a daquiri.
Really? Sign me up.

rprprs
06-19-2013, 06:39 AM
Make tobacco illegal and the same could be said there as well.

Why the need to make it illegal. Is liquor illegal?
If illegal they wouldn't be able to regulate and tax the hell out of it.

fisharmor
06-19-2013, 06:41 AM
I don't believe the chart. For one thing, when I was in Colorado, you could only buy 3.2 beer in supermarkets. If you wanted anything harder you had to go to a liquor store. That doesn't equate to "no control". 'Course, that was a while ago now.

FriedChicken
06-19-2013, 06:54 AM
I'm living in a state that doesn't have any control over liquor (Indiana)?

Wow. Never would have guessed. Maybe I'm missing the argument their making but in this state:

1. Must be 21 to buy and I've been refused sale on a box of beer because I had a 16yr with me at the time.

2. If you're under 21 you're not allowed to transport alcohol (your kid isn't allowed to drive you to the store to get more beer) and I think being DD under 21 is taking a pretty good risk.

3. Being drunk in the passenger seat of a car has been convicted as public intoxication in our courts.

4. Being drunk anywhere you can be seen from a public location (even on your property) according to police is public intoxication.

5. Non driving passengers of a vehicle aren't allowed to enjoy a drink under normal circumstances. (limo services and stuff have hoops to jump through, don't know what hoops though)

6. Can't buy alcohol on Sunday.

I've often complained that Indiana was too controlling on the topic (specifically the Sunday ban, open container law, broad definition of public intoxication and age for alcohol transport laws)
I had no idea this is what no oversight looks like.

kcchiefs6465
06-19-2013, 07:11 AM
Yeah, pretty sure every one of those states have laws that prohibit passengers in cars from drinking, (aside from Mississippi, IIRC) they all have relatively low legal limits, they all have arbitrary DUI check points...

In the states I've lived you have to be 21 and have ID to carry alcohol out of a store. My father has a bad back and they wouldn't let me carry the case of beer out of the store because I didn't have my ID on me. You cannot have open containers outside of bars. You cannot drink at parks, while fishing etc. You cannot have an open container in the car, even if you aren't drinking. (closed bottles) Bars have restrictions on when they can be open. You have to have valid ID in one state was if you appear under 40, the other if you appear under 27. Expired IDs or broken IDs are not acceptable. One state I've lived in refused Sunday liquor sales until recently. The taxes are outrageous. Some towns are dry, you must bag cases or will be ticketed. I've had people tell me that you cannot go to the same store twice in one day. (perhaps that was their policy) One state has no legal limit, simply an officer's word that you appear intoxicated. Judges have been arrested for DUIs only to blow .00.

ETC. ETC. ETC.

Free market my ass.

And the commercial was ridiculous. Logical fallacy upon fallacy. Mainly their blatant appeal to emotion. Trust and believe that type of bullshit will have a few members here against the measure.

donnay
06-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Having government in you face 24/7 you won't live to see your children grow up free!

carmaphob
06-19-2013, 07:29 AM
Explains why booze is cheaper in MN than it is in IA!

Grubb556
06-19-2013, 07:31 AM
Isn't Alcohol cheap in NH, despite government intervention ?

kcchiefs6465
06-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Isn't Alcohol cheap in NH, despite government intervention ?

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/state_various_sales_rates_2000-2010.pdf

Perhaps someone from New Hampshire can tell me exactly what this means. Mainly "q"

kcchiefs6465
06-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Also note that that list is from 2010. Cigarette tax per pack is now 4.35 in New York for instance. There is also a 1.00 federal tax per pack.