PDA

View Full Version : [MAP] How much $$ does YOUR state govt take from the Feds?

Matt Collins
06-18-2013, 12:50 PM
http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/Federal-aid-as-a-percentage-of-state-general-revenue-%28large%29_0.png

puppetmaster
06-18-2013, 12:57 PM
MS and LA number one and two.....then AZ....HMMM

Occam's Banana
06-18-2013, 12:59 PM
MO and LA number one and two.....then AZ....HMMM

MO is #5. MS is #1.

jbauer
06-18-2013, 01:03 PM
heck you should want to be high on that list. get as much back from the greedy bastards as you can.

bunklocoempire
06-18-2013, 01:31 PM
heck you should want to be high on that list. get as much back from the greedy bastards as you can.

True dat. Unfortunately that lets the crooks who let it hemorrhage out of my pocket in the first place look like heroes when they get a small piece back to give to somebody else that may or may not allow me and others to equally benefit from it.

No need for the joy of a blood drip if you never bled out to begin with.

ZENemy
06-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Wow...all anyone will ever see is a "loss of jobs" when trying to abolish the feds.

BuddyRey
06-18-2013, 02:04 PM
I often wonder what accounts for the massive disparity you can see there between North and South Dakota. It was quite shocking in fact to learn that several of the poorest U.S. counties are in South Dakota, mostly in areas heavily populated by the indigenous Lakota Sioux. They receive massive quantities of aid, yet still wallow in crushing poverty and die earlier than in anywhere else in the west, save for Haiti. Not only does ND not have an insolvency problem, but it's really so solvent it could form its own breakaway country if it wanted and could tell the feds to go jump.

CaptUSA
06-18-2013, 02:08 PM
This is pretty misleading in my opinion. If a state had 0 revenue generation and took $1 from the feds, it would show as 100%. This chart would say your state relied on federal aid entirely. There are better ways of portraying this data.

Zippyjuan
06-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Another map to go along with that one- how much states get in Federal expenses for every dollar they send to the Federal coffers:
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2012/02/is-your-state-a-net-giver-or-taker-of-federal-taxes/
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/give-take-small-final.png

06-18-2013, 02:40 PM

That's my thought. If we can't get rid of taxes, get back as much as we can.

There is a big thing going on here in Maine now, LePage doesn't want to take the Obamacare money. I see his point but still am conflicted, might as well bet back as much as possible.

Zippyjuan
06-18-2013, 02:42 PM
That's my thought. If we can't get rid of taxes, get back as much as we can.

There is a big thing going on here in Maine now, LePage doesn't want to take the Obamacare money. I see his point but still am conflicted, might as well bet back as much as possible.

A fine idea, but it encourages even higher spending levels.

06-18-2013, 02:50 PM
A fine idea, but it encourages even higher spending levels.

Yeah, but you can oppose the spending while still taking the money back. Nothing wrong with that.

It's like a congressman voting against a bill, but putting in earmarks that will go to his district.

Zippyjuan
06-18-2013, 02:57 PM
You can't say you are against spending when you are asking for more money for yourself or your own district. Likewise, one cannot claim to be in favor of a balanced budget while asking for tax cuts without more than offsetting them with spending reductions. Both are hypocrits.

DamianTV
06-18-2013, 06:18 PM
ALL Blackmail Money

Now lower your DUI standards to 0.000000001% BAC or else we'll cut your Blackmail Funds. The less dependant each state is on the Federal Govt, the less influence teh Federal Govt has.