PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut: Man Without License No Longer Able To Provide Haircuts To Homeless...

James Madison
06-18-2013, 12:34 AM
...unless he obtains government permission slip. Just another day in Amerika. Government doing what it does best. These are the kinds of 'freedoms' we have to give up in order to live in a free society.

------------------------------------------

Anthony Cymerys, known by many in Hartford, Conn. as “Joe the Barber,” who has been giving free haircuts to the homeless for almost a decade, was kicked out of Bushnell Park on Wednesday for not having a license. 82-year-old Cymerys, known for his generosity, does what he can to help those around him and does not accept any repayment for his haircuts other than hugs. On Wednesday, Cymerys was asked to stop after two police and three civilians approached him and determined he was “not a licensed barber”.

(Good job, komrade Citizen. See something, say something. Protected and served his ass. Protected and served those homeless bums, too. - JM)

Cymerys stated that helping the homeless is an amazing feeling. "You have no idea. You have no idea when this great, big 6-foot guy practically squeezes me to death. Or kisses me on top of the head. You can't buy that," he said. He has done this every Wednesday night for years, until he was abruptly forced to stop. "I said sit down Louie and I started cutting his hair," Cymerys said. "I got halfway through. And uh oh, all of a sudden here come these two official looking policemen and three civilians."

Some people were concerned because Cymerys is not a licensed barber. Some believe those who complained licensed barbers in the area, although most of the homeless would not only not be welcome in their barbershops, but also wouldn’t be able to afford their haircuts. Cymerys also hands out food to the homeless, although the health department stated that the food is unregulated. "While we support the idea of anyone willingly and voluntarily giving their time to help needy communities, local residents have expressed some concerns about the safety and sanitation of Mr. Cymerys' practice and unregulated food distribution," said Nancy M. Mulroy, Hartford city spokeswoman on Thursday.

(Translation: he doesn't have a piece of paper with his name on it and a tin badge - JM)

Within hours, Hartford Mayor Pedro Segarra was involved. Mayor Segarra had recognized Cymerys’ charitable acts the previous year and made the decision that Cymerys could continue his acts of private charity based on "numerous years of charitable work to the city."

"He wishes for him to continue his great and generous work in Bushnell Park," Segarra’s office said in a statement. "This does not mean, however, that others are allowed to join him - this action is solely reserved for him. City officials plan to assist Cymerys in getting a barber’s state license despite the fact that he never charges for his haircuts. This statement, despite the dispensation given to Cymerys, angered many who view the generous man as a role model. Those people believe they are being told they cannot offer aid to the homeless without government permission.

(No unauthorized solicitation on the king's land, mundane! We shall give you permission this one time to demonstrate our leniency and limitless compassion - JM)

Cymerys is confused as to why he needs a license now, after a decade of giving away his services, and said he is not putting away his clippers. "If it brings some joy to somebody's life, that's what it's all about. It's all about kindness," he said. "If we all do a kindness for somebody, wouldn't it be a wonderful world."

(Because this isn't America anymore, Mr. Cymerys. - JM)

http://www.examiner.com/article/conn-park-kicks-out-barber-giving-homeless-haircuts-for-not-having-a-license

kcchiefs6465
06-18-2013, 12:40 AM
I believe I did read a headline that he was to be allowed to cut hair.

Ridiculous either way.

Cleaner44
06-18-2013, 12:42 AM
Freedom isn't free! One must purchase a barber licence if one expects to have the privilege of giving free haircuts to broke and homeless people. This is why the terrorists hate us, because we are free to purchase a permit to give charity to our fellow free humans. Isn't this what I served in the military to protect?

James Madison
06-18-2013, 12:42 AM
I believe I did read a headline that he was to be allowed to cut hair.

Ridiculous either way.

I ran out of room in the title. Read the first sentence of my post.

kcchiefs6465
06-18-2013, 12:50 AM
I ran out of room in the title. Read the first sentence of my post.
I didn't click the link but of it on the news sites I visited but I believe the title was saying that he was given a pass. If not, that is incredibly ridiculous, my thoughts probably known on it. If so that is still incredibly ridiculous that you must receive permission to cut hair and on top of that to be charitable. Reminds me of the people in Seattle being outlawed from feeding the needy and the thousands of pounds of deer meat in Louisiana that was purposely contaminated with bleach. This country is assed backwards. I apologize for not reading the story as I pretty much figured what it would say. It also annoys me something beyond words and I've had a few stories today do as much. (mainly hearing of DUI checkpoints on Father's Day)

These regulations and bureaucrats are strangling this nation. It is as depressing if not more depressing than the majority of Americans not caring.

What a damn shame where charity is outlawed unless you jump through hoops and their catch 22s. Frankly words can't describe how sad and disappointed in my country these stories make me.

James Madison
06-18-2013, 12:59 AM
I didn't click the link but of it on the news sites I visited but I believe the title was saying that he was given a pass. If not, that is incredibly ridiculous, my thoughts probably known on it. If so that is still incredibly ridiculous that you must receive permission to cut hair and on top of that to be charitable. Reminds me of the people in Seattle being outlawed from feeding the needy and the thousands of pounds of deer meat in Louisiana that was purposely contaminated with bleach. This country is assed backwards. I apologize for not reading the story as I pretty much figured what it would say. It also annoys me something beyond words and I've had a few stories today do as much. (mainly hearing of DUI checkpoints on Father's Day)

These regulations and bureaucrats are strangling this nation. It is as depressing if not more depressing than the majority of Americans not caring.

What a damn shame where charity is outlawed unless you jump through hoops and their catch 22s. Frankly words can't describe how sad and disappointed in my country these stories make me.

It's all good. :)

Regardless of whether he was granted a pass, this is very frightening. The oligarchs float out absurd ideas like this and let it simmer in the public conscience for a decade or two. Imagine even having this conversation twenty years ago. In ten years, the next Anthony Cymerys won't be so lucky. He'll be arrested for cutting hair without a license. That's the way these things always work.

BAllen
06-18-2013, 03:04 AM
Once again, government interferes with market. If people could give haircuts without a license, think what haircut prices would be? MUCH cheaper. And then, what would a hair school price be? MUCH cheaper. Global trade and immigration have cut wages. So why not deregulate business to allow prices to fall to affordable levels?

James Madison
06-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Bump

AlexAmore
06-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Who cares if the free market would be cheaper. Are you to tell me you guys want a bunch of homeless folks with bad haircuts just walking around?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhe3RlzgTiQ

Todd
06-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Freedom isn't free! One must purchase a barber licence if one expects to have the privilege of giving free haircuts to broke and homeless people. This is why the terrorists hate us, because we are free to purchase a permit to give charity to our fellow free humans. Isn't this what I served in the military to protect?

This is why my mother should be fined. All the bad haircuts she gave me as a child. Now I understand that it was because she needed a license