PDA

View Full Version : Churches should unilaterally give up their tax-exempt status Agree or Disagree

DonVolaric
06-17-2013, 11:17 PM
http://www.drudge.com/news/169273/huckabee-reject-tax-exempt-status (http://www.drudge.com/news/169273/huckabee-reject-tax-exempt-status)
Huckabee: Reject Tax-Exempt Status
Christian conservative and Republican leader Mike Huckabee is encouraging churches to unilaterally give up their tax-exempt status."I think we need to recognize that it may be time to quit worrying so much about the tax code and start thinking more about the truth of the living God, and if it means that we give up tax-exempt status and tax deductions for charitable contributions, I choose freedom more than I choose a deduction that the government gives me permission to say what God wants me to say"

TheTexan
06-17-2013, 11:19 PM
I think all churches and all businesses should unilaterally claim tax-exempt status

jclay2
06-17-2013, 11:29 PM
I think all churches and all businesses should unilaterally claim tax-exempt status

Agreed. Given that this is coming from the Huckster, I really have to wonder what the motives are behind this.

Brian4Liberty
06-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Agreed. Given that this is coming from the Huckster, I really have to wonder what the motives are behind this.

Possible it's about moving to a much simpler tax system without such exemptions. Is Huckabee a flat tax advocate?

Occam's Banana
06-17-2013, 11:51 PM
"[...] I choose freedom more than I choose a deduction that the government gives me permission to say what God wants me to say"

I have read that a dozen times (twelve more than it probably deserves) - and I still can't figure out what the hell he is trying to say.

DonVolaric
06-17-2013, 11:56 PM
Possible it's about moving to a much simpler tax system without such exemptions. Is Huckabee a flat tax advocate? FairTax Advocate.

Smart3
06-18-2013, 12:33 AM
As long as businesses are taxed, so too should religious businesses (which is all churches are usually).

Tod
06-18-2013, 12:47 AM
I have read that a dozen times (twelve more than it probably deserves) - and I still can't figure out what the hell he is trying to say.

Simple. He is saying that by accepting tax-exempt status, limitations are placed upon what can be said from the pulpit without repercussions from the government, so he would prefer the freedom associated with independence.

btw, Have you ever looked into the rules that a pastor follows for filing his/her income tax return? They are really weird, with housing allowances and such. A very different system than what most people are used to dealing with. I did data entry for some pastors when I was working in a tax prep office.