PDA

View Full Version : My council meeting tonight...

Michael Landon
06-17-2013, 09:51 PM
I voted "no" so many times tonight that the Mayor made light of it by voting "no" to adjourn the meeting. Awesome.

Just wanted to say that.

- ML

FrankRep
06-17-2013, 09:52 PM
What did you vote down?

MelissaWV
06-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Excellent.

Michael Landon
06-17-2013, 09:57 PM
What did you vote down?

I voted against a $5Million multi-use event center. I voted against purchasing a 2013 Dodge Charger for the police department. I voted against hiring a new part-time employee for the liquor store the city owns. There was a very good argument between me and a couple other councilors regarding whether or not the taxpayers should own a liquor store. I voted against seeking money from the state for the above mentioned event center, and I also voted against seeking money from the state for the building of a shed to put our salt in for use in the winter.

- ML

ObiRandKenobi
06-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Good job.

jclay2
06-17-2013, 10:24 PM
I voted against a $5Million multi-use event center. I voted against purchasing a 2013 Dodge Charger for the police department. I voted against hiring a new part-time employee for the liquor store the city owns. There was a very good argument between me and a couple other councilors regarding whether or not the taxpayers should own a liquor store. I voted against seeking money from the state for the above mentioned event center, and I also voted against seeking money from the state for the building of a shed to put our salt in for use in the winter.

- ML

Awesome. A Dr. No in training.

CaseyJones
06-17-2013, 10:40 PM

- ML

Rep this Man

phill4paul
06-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Rep this Man

Already done.

asurfaholic
06-18-2013, 12:31 AM
How many yes votes did you cast?

Natural Citizen
06-18-2013, 12:41 AM

- ML

I recall reading that there are only three or four people on this council. Was that you or someone else who said that?

Kotin
06-18-2013, 01:49 AM
Love it.

John of Des Moines
06-18-2013, 05:49 AM
I am sure you know to point out that the oaths of office to support the federal/state constitutions prohibits you (and the others) from vote to accept federal moneys.

Pericles
06-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Rep this Man

Done and well deserved.

angelatc
06-18-2013, 09:14 AM
So, where do you keep the salt?

Elias Graves
06-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Why does a city own a liquor store?

BAllen
06-18-2013, 09:17 AM

Because they can.

BAllen
06-18-2013, 09:19 AM
I voted "no" so many times tonight that the Mayor made light of it by voting "no" to adjourn the meeting. Awesome.

Just wanted to say that.

- ML

Good job! I hope you'll also vote to eliminate local regulations that cripple free enterprise.

Elias Graves
06-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Because they can.

That's stupid.
"Hey, I know! Lets open a liquor store, get em boozed up and arrest them for being over 0.05% while driving! Imagine the revenue."

ravedown
06-18-2013, 09:21 AM
enjoy your one term... make the most of it while you can.

Carlybee
06-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Hopefully they won't react like Houston did to Helena Brown.

Bastiat's The Law
06-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Awesome work! If everyone did this we'd have our country back.

Michael Landon
06-18-2013, 10:21 AM
How many yes votes did you cast?

A few... "to accept the agenda," "to accept the minutes of the previous meeting," "to adjourn the meeting." :)

I also voted "yes" to sell a section of land, owned by the city, to the neighboring private business.

- ML

Michael Landon
06-18-2013, 10:22 AM
So, where do you keep the salt?

In a large pile near the city's garage that houses our plows. There are environmental concerns about the salt running into a creek near by when it rains.

- ML

Michael Landon
06-18-2013, 10:25 AM

:) That's hilarious.

I haven't even put any thought into the next election in three years. Although, I had someone I've never met come up to me today and thank me for standing up for the citizens, so you never know.

- ML

jmdrake
06-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Awesome job! I bet in the next election cycle your opponent will attack you for not accepting "free money" from the state. The rebuttal, of course, is that it isn't free. Every dollar that you get "for free" from the state means higher taxes at the state level. The same is true for the federal dollars. If the local citizens want a salt shed, they should pay for a salt shed locally. Or better yet, get the local scouts and/or 4-H club to build a shed. It's not like it has to do anything other than keep rain of salt. The further removed the source of funding is from the actual recipient of the funding, the less accountability there is. Let's say the shed costs $5,000 to build, but the contractor charges $10,000. Local government can say "It doesn't matter because it's free money." State government can say "This is just a small part of a much bigger budget. What's the big deal?" The problem only gets worse at the federal level.

Good job! The only think you need is two or three more of you on the city council.

Barrex
06-18-2013, 10:44 AM
I will make an ass out of Me and U by assuming that you lost every vote since you didnt post vote results :D

ravedown
06-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Awesome job! I bet in the next election cycle your opponent will attack you for not accepting "free money" from the state. The rebuttal, of course, is that it isn't free. Every dollar that you get "for free" from the state means higher taxes at the state level. The same is true for the federal dollars. If the local citizens want a salt shed, they should pay for a salt shed locally. Or better yet, get the local scouts and/or 4-H club to build a shed. It's not like it has to do anything other than keep rain of salt. The further removed the source of funding is from the actual recipient of the funding, the less accountability there is. Let's say the shed costs $5,000 to build, but the contractor charges $10,000. Local government can say "It doesn't matter because it's free money." State government can say "This is just a small part of a much bigger budget. What's the big deal?" The problem only gets worse at the federal level.

Good job! The only think you need is two or three more of you on the city council.

as someone that works within the leviathan of municipal gov. in a large city, i can assure you the name of the game is spend...spend or you'll have nothing to beg for next budget cycle. find projects, create problems where you have none and maximize every federal grant program in existence. (emergency services-firefighters and cops- are particularly expert at this) fiscal responsibility is viewed as a 'red flag' or even a threat by the decision makers.
and the councilman that votes down spending? ha...wow, i'd love someone like that around here. but they'd be labelled cruel, evil, heartless and irresponsible by the public, local media and blackballed by the mayor and council immediately. thats why i dig your post m. landon. we need more like you.

Kregisen
06-18-2013, 11:16 AM
That's stupid.
"Hey, I know! Lets open a liquor store, get em boozed up and arrest them for being over 0.05% while driving! Imagine the revenue."

Sounds like Arizona. I was arrested on DUI when my BAC was .012 back in January.

Cowlesy
06-18-2013, 12:01 PM
In a large pile near the city's garage that houses our plows. There are environmental concerns about the salt running into a creek near by when it rains.

- ML

I don't know. If there are other chemicals in the salt, that might be a worthwhile project. At such a local level, I think there is a decent argument for being stewards of the environment especially for areas that there isn't a private incentive to really do so. Can't imagine a big dome-shed for your salt would be that big an expense.

-- just a lay-opinion based on the post. There could certainly be more to it.

surf
06-18-2013, 12:19 PM
I don't know. If there are other chemicals in the salt, that might be a worthwhile project. At such a local level, I think there is a decent argument for being stewards of the environment especially for areas that there isn't a private incentive to really do so. Can't imagine a big dome-shed for your salt would be that big an expense.

-- just a lay-opinion based on the post. There could certainly be more to it.put a tarp over it

Michael Landon
06-18-2013, 05:19 PM
I recall reading that there are only three or four people on this council. Was that you or someone else who said that?

I stated that in a post elsewhere, I believe.

- ML

Michael Landon
06-18-2013, 05:20 PM

You're guess is as good as mine. The argument they used last night was that it was to restrict alcohol consumption, I shredded that argument.

- ML

Michael Landon
06-18-2013, 05:22 PM
I will make an ass out of Me and U by assuming that you lost every vote since you didnt post vote results :D

Yes.

:)

- ML

Michael Landon
06-18-2013, 05:25 PM

-- just a lay-opinion based on the post. There could certainly be more to it.

They voted to seek bonding from the state for $150,000 for a building to store the salt. I thought it would make more sense to store the salt in a different location away from the trout stream.

- ML

CaseyJones
06-18-2013, 05:25 PM
put a tarp over it

this

Natural Citizen
06-18-2013, 05:27 PM
I stated that in a post elsewhere, I believe.

- ML

Well. Good luck in maybe splitting some of these in the future.

MikeStanart
06-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Hopefully they won't react like Houston did to Helena Brown.

That was mostly a hatchet job by Houstonpress. She's on track for reelection.

WhistlinDave
06-18-2013, 07:55 PM
They voted to seek bonding from the state for $150,000 for a building to store the salt. I thought it would make more sense to store the salt in a different location away from the trout stream.

- ML

Hell, I'll fly out there and do the job for a mere $98,000.00. It will save the taxpayers a ton. I've got a screwdriver and a saw and a pickup truck!

(Kidding of course.) Is this shed going to contain facilities to shield the salt from cosmic radiation or something? What the hell? That's no shed, it sounds more like a "facility."

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
06-18-2013, 08:02 PM

way to stay positive - that's the spirit.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
06-18-2013, 08:03 PM
awesome... +rep

donnay
06-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Kudos! +rep!

jmdrake
06-19-2013, 12:01 PM
as someone that works within the leviathan of municipal gov. in a large city, i can assure you the name of the game is spend...spend or you'll have nothing to beg for next budget cycle. find projects, create problems where you have none and maximize every federal grant program in existence. (emergency services-firefighters and cops- are particularly expert at this) fiscal responsibility is viewed as a 'red flag' or even a threat by the decision makers.
and the councilman that votes down spending? ha...wow, i'd love someone like that around here. but they'd be labelled cruel, evil, heartless and irresponsible by the public, local media and blackballed by the mayor and council immediately. thats why i dig your post m. landon. we need more like you.

True. While I've not worked for the government per se (besides some temporary census work years ago) I have worked on grant funded projects. Spending under your grant amount is as bad or worse than going over. And I had a friend who was in the air force who said the base he worked at would throw huge parties and steak dinners for everyone just to spend up budget allotments at the end of the fiscal year rather than face a budget cut for next year. The system itself is perverse.

jmdrake
06-19-2013, 12:05 PM

- ML

But simply moving the salt to another location doesn't provide as much economic stimulus. You would have cost some big contractor a "shovel ready" job. (Just shoveling the salt to another location isn't good enough for the greedy.)