PDA

View Full Version : VDH: Why the Elites Cannot Get Enough of Illegal Immigration

AuH20
06-17-2013, 02:19 PM
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/351213/illegal-immigration-elite-illiberality-victor-davis-hanson

The vicious cycle continues.

Employers do not care that the presence of 11 million illegal aliens has driven down entry-level wages. They are not concerned about the depressing cycle of illegal-immigrant labor: The young male from Latin America works extraordinarily hard for 20 years. But by the time he’s 40, he is married with children, and discovering that without education, English, or skill sets, he has no way forward.

Arms and backs that were near superhuman at 25 are often shot at 50. When the 45-year-old illegal alien can no longer pick, or cook, or rake as he once did, the employer loses interest, and the state steps in to provide him with rough parity through subsidies for housing, health care, food, and legal assistance, and meanwhile it has been educating his children. Because second-generation immigrants are deemed less industrious than their worn-out fathers and mothers — and Hispanic males in California graduate from high school at little more than a 60 percent rate — the need arises for another round of young hardy workers from Latin America.

Do as I say, don't do as I do:

In truth, do not expect Washington politicians, La Raza leaders, or agribusiness owners to send their children to the Sanger school system in the outskirts of Fresno, or to enroll them in Cal State Bakersfield. Their elite status mostly exempts them from the ramifications of their own ideology in a myriad of ways. If taxes must rise in California to pay for one-third of the nation’s welfare recipients, or to prop up public schools that have descended to 48th in the nation in math and English test scores, or to bring some parity to the nation’s highest percentage of people below the poverty line, most of the elite can afford the increases. For some, the higher taxes even become a sort of penance — a kind of abstract generosity necessary to expiate their unwillingness to assimilate, integrate, and intermarry in the concrete.

Meanwhile, forget the tire-store owner and the electrical contractor who have no such margin of error, and are written off as mean-spirited for resenting rising taxes to pay for soaring subsidies to the growing immigrant underclass. That the caricatured Neanderthal followers of Sarah Palin resent the social costs of illegal immigration and the fact that their children’s education is directly affected by the entry of millions of new non-English-speakers is, well, their own fault.

Brian4Liberty
06-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Cheap labor enables government money printing and debt, by hiding price inflation via stagnating wages. The elite love that scam. Boil the mundanes slowly.

Michelangelo
06-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Cheap labor enables government money printing and debt, by hiding price inflation via stagnating wages. The elite love that scam. Boil the mundanes slowly.

Yeah.. That's not sound economic theory at all.

Have you ever actually sat down in an economics class?

Anti Federalist
06-17-2013, 08:17 PM

And cheap imports.

That is how they managed to keep a lid on this pressure cooker since 1971.

Anti Federalist
06-17-2013, 08:18 PM

No, it's not, not at all.

Which is why the fascist elite are engaging in it.

Origanalist
06-17-2013, 09:09 PM
No, it's not, not at all.

Which is why the fascist elite are engaging in it.

But don't tell that to those in a economics class, they might learn something.

Carson
06-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Globally they have effectively stolen every nations resources and want the ability to move the cheapest labor they can find in to help loot them.

Hey and if you get stiffed with the social services, medical, and everything else that goes along with them and everyone else that comes along with them what are you going to do?

They have never kept their word on the enforcement side of any immigration bill GLOBALLY!

Well at least I've never heard of any.

I'm sure not seeing of any signs of any.

AuH20
06-17-2013, 09:48 PM
If we (speaking as a member of the overburdened and hated middle class) don't deal with these elites, it will be the end of America. The poor and downtrodden I'm not worried about, since many are poor and downtrodden for a reason. They'll back down if we can get rid of these devils. The relationship is as follows: the elites prey upon the class envy and material needs of the poor and largely use them as a bludgeon against the middle class. Hell, the middle class is largely PAYING for it's own destruction when you really think about it closely.

Brian4Liberty
06-17-2013, 11:16 PM

Have you ever actually sat down in an economics class?

OK, smarty pants, what part is not sound? Or did I have to spell out the fact that the biggest pyramid scheme in history will eventually collapse?

Not that it's terribly relevant, but yes, I took a couple of Econ courses in college.

Michelangelo
06-17-2013, 11:41 PM
OK, smarty pants, what part is not sound? Or did I have to spell out the fact that the biggest pyramid scheme in history will eventually collapse?

Not that it's terribly relevant, but yes, I took a couple of Econ courses in college.

*Real wages in the US aren't stagnated. They continue to rise despite the awful economic policies pursued by the US government. Walk down a street and count the number of people with Iphones. You really think this would be possible if wages were stagnant?

*Immigration does not cause lower real wages. It means increased real wages due to the benefits of specialization. Remember, immigration doesn't just mean an increase in the labour supply! It also means an increase in labour demand and aforementioned benefits from specialization.

P.S. Everyone here understands the difference between 'real' and 'nominal' wages right? Real wages refers to the amount of stuff you can buy with your wages. Nominal is the numerical value. It doesn't matter if your numerical wage never changes. What matters is how much and what quality of goods you can buy.

And god damn, does the quality of goods continue to rise. I <3 the market for being able to do that.

Brian4Liberty
06-18-2013, 08:58 AM
*Real wages in the US aren't stagnated. They continue to rise despite the awful economic policies pursued by the US government. Walk down a street and count the number of people with Iphones. You really think this would be possible if wages were stagnant?

*Immigration does not cause lower real wages. It means increased real wages due to the benefits of specialization. Remember, immigration doesn't just mean an increase in the labour supply! It also means an increase in labour demand and aforementioned benefits from specialization.

P.S. Everyone here understands the difference between 'real' and 'nominal' wages right? Real wages refers to the amount of stuff you can buy with your wages. Nominal is the numerical value. It doesn't matter if your numerical wage never changes. What matters is how much and what quality of goods you can buy.

And god damn, does the quality of goods continue to rise. I <3 the market for being able to do that.

That's all well and good as far as economic theory goes. The real world doesn't always match theory, especially when looking at a specific time span, or when there are many other factors at work.

When people are unemployed, that's a major decrease in wages and spending power. Many people's wages have declined in both nominal and real terms. Obviously, massive amounts of monetary inflation can't be hidden forever. Some people's wages go up. Greenspan has stated that the plan was to continue to find cheaper labor and supress wages, which is a huge factor in the overall price inflation number. Lower wages and decreased purchasing power offset and delay price inflation. This was the intent. It's not something that's probably taught in your Economics classes. And no one claimed it is a "sound economic theory". It's a policy. And the point is that it won't work in the long run.

Quality of goods is increasing? Sorry, not everyone measures quality based on how cool their latest phone is, or how big their flat screen TV is, no matter how many segments John Stossel does on that talking point.

You want to talk about quality of iPhones? Excuse me, but I'm going to the Apple store today to return yet another defective one...

BAllen
06-18-2013, 09:25 AM

Yes, some products are cheaper. But electronics is only ONE part of the equation. Largest expenses such as food, housing, and transportation, have gone up. Do you deny this?