PDA

View Full Version : Alex Jones smokes pipe in defiance of Florida bong ban

ObiRandKenobi
06-17-2013, 01:34 PM
"In Florida, this is a crime, ladies and gentlemen...I'm gonna load my bowl some more..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aBe8DjDO2Y

h/t MP (http://www.mofopolitics.com/2013/06/17/alex-jones-smokes-pipe-in-defiance-of-floridas-bong-ban-law/)

Warlord
06-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Instead of smoking tobacco for flavor he should try e-cigs.

See our thread: "do you vape?"

(http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?411397-Do-you-vape-%28e-cigs%29)

tod evans
06-17-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm puffing my favorite briar full of tobacco right now..

Warlord
06-17-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm puffing my favorite briar full of tobacco right now..

Vape instead, it's healthier. I'm ditching the shisha pipe.

tod evans
06-17-2013, 01:45 PM
I gave up a 3+ pack a day non-filtered Camel habit and took up a pipe.

Tried a friends vape system and it does deliver nicotine but it ain't for me.

Besides taking a puff indoors in public buildings just to piss off the nanny-staters isn't possible with a vape system..:cool:

Zippyjuan
06-17-2013, 01:53 PM
That Alex- such a rebel! Smoking a legal (not illegal) pipe on the air! What will he do next? Really putting it to the Man again!

"In Florida, this is a crime!"

Except that it isn't.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/25/florida-bong-ban-passes_n_3156442.html

Florida 'Bong Ban' Passes, Doesn't Really Ban Bongs All That Much

Florida is on the verge of sort-of-banning some types of bongs -- er, "utensils of death," according to a lawmaker -- after a House-approved drug paraphernalia ban passed in the Senate on Friday.

The bill originally listed drug paraphernalia as metal, wooden, acrylic, glass, stone, plastic, or ceramic smoking pipes, with or without screens, permanent screens, or punctured metal bowls; water pipes; carburetion tubes and devices; chamber pipes; carburetor pipes; electric pipes; air-driven pipes; chillums; bongs; and ice pipes or chillers. ("This is a comprehensive list of mellows that will be harshed," joked Stephen Colbert.)

But before passing, the bill was watered down to make it "unlawful for a person to knowingly and willfully sell or offer for sale at retail any drug paraphernalia... other than a pipe that is primarily made of briar, meerschaum, clay or corn cob."

Retailers, however, can still sell the devices for use with tobacco -- so if signed into law by Florida Governor Rick Scott as expected, the bill won't have much effect.

But he does go overboard a lot.

LibForestPaul
06-17-2013, 04:37 PM
That Alex- such a rebel! Smoking a legal (not illegal) pipe on the air! What will he do next? Really putting it to the Man again!

"In Florida, this is a crime!"

Except that it isn't.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/25/florida-bong-ban-passes_n_3156442.html

But he does go overboard a lot.

Still with the statist schill.
he does go overboard a lot. Not the florida legislature going overboard. No, no, no...Alex Jones of course.

your comments are always a good laugh though, thx

devil21
06-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Is this the bill that Scott signed?

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2013/1140/BillText/c2/HTML

If so, the legislation appears to add a "knowingly sells for drug usage" ban on:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0800-0899/0893/Sections/0893.145.html

(12) Objects used, intended for use, or designed for use in ingesting, inhaling, or otherwise introducing cannabis, cocaine, hashish, hashish oil, or nitrous oxide into the human body, such as:
(a) Metal, wooden, acrylic, glass, stone, plastic, or ceramic pipes, with or without screens, permanent screens, hashish heads, or punctured metal bowls.
(b) Water pipes.
(c) Carburetion tubes and devices.

(g) Chamber pipes.
(h) Carburetor pipes.
(i) Electric pipes.
(j) Air-driven pipes.
(k) Chillums.
(l) Bongs.
(m) Ice pipes or chillers

The new law makes it a crime to sell these devices if they think (prove?) you "knowingly sold" the device to someone that you suspected of using it for illegal drug use. Seems to me that it opens the floodgates for FL LEO to start running into smoke shops and trying to get the guy behind the counter to make some reference to drugs. The previous statute did not mention any sales penalties. Lots of undercover LEOs hanging around smoke shops in FL soon.

dannno
06-17-2013, 04:44 PM
The new law makes it a crime to sell these devices if they think (prove?) you "knowingly sold" the device to someone that you suspected of using it for illegal drug use. Seems to me that it opens the floodgates for FL LEO to start running into smoke shops and trying to get the guy behind the counter to make some reference to drugs. The previous statute did not mention any sales penalties. Lots of undercover LEOs hanging around smoke shops in FL soon.

This is how the law works in most places including California - but some time around 2005 or 2006 there were so many medicinal cannabis users that they gave up for the most part. I think it was essentially because even if you suspected the person might be using it for cannabis, you could simultaneously suspect the person may be a medicinal user and that sort of has a cancelling out effect.

jkr
06-17-2013, 04:50 PM
i think in oHIo it is now no longer a crime to have "paraphernalia"

yay freedom

/SARC

devil21
06-17-2013, 04:58 PM
This is how the law works in most places including California - but some time around 2005 or 2006 there were so many medicinal cannabis users that they gave up for the most part. I think it was essentially because even if you suspected the person might be using it for cannabis, you could simultaneously suspect the person may be a medicinal user and that sort of has a cancelling out effect.

Is that actually a criminal law though? Smoke shops around here (and most places imo) just ask you to leave if there's any mention or "appearance" of illegal drug use. Didn't know it was actually a crime. The hurdle for determining if a bowl or bong or whatever is actually drug paraphernalia is whether the device has actually been used. A glass bowl itself isn't illegal. One with residue on it is. FL's new law makes it illegal to sell a bowl that hasn't even been used for illegal drug use. The mere thought crime of suggesting it is illegal. I don't think Ive ever heard of this standard before. Does it mean that police can pay off a busted meth junkie and send him in to buy a pipe and since he looks like a meth head, the shop can't sell it to him, even if illegal drug usage is never mentioned?

CaseyJones
06-17-2013, 04:59 PM
I'm gonna load my bowl..

he stole my catch phrase :mad:

BuddyRey
06-17-2013, 05:22 PM
To piggyback off of what AJ said, this really speaks to the hypocrisy of most conservatives, who (rightfully) are quick to defend the availability of guns because they're just value-neutral tools that can be used for good or ill, but then at the same time have no problem banning other value-neutral tools like pipes, bongs, etc. that, even in their most illegal and nefarious applications, can only go so far as to harm the users themselves and nobody else.

Seriously, so-called "small-government Republicans" like Rick Scott are the reason the Republican Party has become a bad joke in the last fifty years.