PDA

View Full Version : Bloomberg to Require Food Composting

green73
06-17-2013, 05:14 AM
The mayor is said to be hiring a composting plant to handle 100,000 tons of food scraps a year and that amount would represent about 10 percent of the city's residential food waste.

The residential program will initially work on a voluntary basis, but officials say that within a few years, it will be mandatory. New Yorkers who don’t separate their food scraps could be subject to fines -- just like they do if they don’t recycle plastic, paper or metal.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/22605463/report-mayor-bloomberg-wants-to-recycle-food-waste

amy31416
06-17-2013, 05:43 AM
I bet the rat population explodes. I have a compost bin on the back deck and so far I've found that opossums and raccoons find it quite tasty if I don't cover it properly.

And imagine when the garbagemen go on strike.

People can compost in the city, but it's generally a small-scale indoor operation involving worms.

donnay
06-17-2013, 06:05 AM
I wonder how much money this will create for ol' Blooming-idiot-berg? This man is a REAL life Burger Meister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn_p8Z8Ltng

tod evans
06-17-2013, 06:07 AM
Composting=Good

Cities=Bad

Composting NY.....................................Fuck Yeah!

06-17-2013, 06:16 AM
How much longer do we have to wait until Bloomberg is composted? I'm so tired of reading about his totalitarian BS.

green73
06-17-2013, 06:44 AM
I bet the rat population explodes.

Yes! I welcome this move.

tod evans
06-17-2013, 06:46 AM
I bet the rat population explodes.

Yes! I welcome this move.

Black plague?

green73
06-17-2013, 06:50 AM
Black plague?

Food composting for all liberal cesspools!

tod evans
06-17-2013, 06:53 AM
Composting most liberals = Good

Composting many conservatives = Good

Is it really necessary to wait on the rats?

amy31416
06-17-2013, 06:58 AM
Could lead to another plague, who knows? I imagine the cockroaches will enjoy that they sort the foods out for them as well.

There's no way that city will be able to educate even a minority of people how to properly compost, what are they going to do? Start selling dry leaves and hay at the local stores? It's a great idea to compost for those connected to the little city farms, but those are generally run by people who know what they're doing.

I wonder how Bloomberg and/or his friends are going to make money off this.

green73
06-17-2013, 07:01 AM
I wonder if this will require meat waste as well. They make people do that in England.

Origanalist
06-17-2013, 07:12 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/56414-Grumpy-Cat-GOOD-and-NO-memes-esB3.jpeg

These idiots keep voting him in, I hope he sticks it to them daily.

green73
06-17-2013, 07:13 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/56414-Grumpy-Cat-GOOD-and-NO-memes-esB3.jpeg

These idiots keep voting him in, I hope he sticks it to them daily.

They're going to get the weiner next.

Origanalist
06-17-2013, 07:15 AM
They're going to get the weiner next.

And they richly deserve it.

angelatc
06-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Could lead to another plague, who knows? I imagine the cockroaches will enjoy that they sort the foods out for them as well.

There's no way that city will be able to educate even a minority of people how to properly compost, what are they going to do? Start selling dry leaves and hay at the local stores? It's a great idea to compost for those connected to the little city farms, but those are generally run by people who know what they're doing.

I wonder how Bloomberg and/or his friends are going to make money off this.

They aren't composting. They will keep their food scraps seperate and the city will collect them for composting. The article on the Times website is full of liberals cheering this on. There'a picture of a guy dumping his food scraps into a bin in his apartment building.

But I can't imagine this being a good idea. I can't even get my husband to put the seat down. Try getting 100 stories of residents to all close the bin properly. The rats are gonna love this.

Origanalist
06-17-2013, 08:04 AM
I can't even get my husband to put the seat down.

Good for him.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5029596696675613&pid=15.1

amy31416
06-17-2013, 08:10 AM
They aren't composting. They will keep their food scraps seperate and the city will collect them for composting. The article on the Times website is full of liberals cheering this on. There'a picture of a guy dumping his food scraps into a bin in his apartment building.

But I can't imagine this being a good idea. I can't even get my husband to put the seat down. Try getting 100 stories of residents to all close the bin properly. The rats are gonna love this.

Yeah, I know they won't actually be doing the composting, but letting scraps sit in your apartment for a week is a really bad idea. Flies, mice, rats, cockroaches--ecch. The only way to prevent that is to cover it appropriately or completely seal it and animal-proof it--and that ain't gonna happen with the majority of people. Then how do they put the stinking, rotting mess out on the street for pickup without rats and bugs going nuts over it?

I'm mostly just trying to imagine how the hell this could possibly work on a mass-scale in a place like NYC. The small details, like how they clean the bins that have to sit in the apartments--how does someone in a studio really clean that?

There's a part of me that wants to see it implemented. I'd be shocked if it worked.

angelatc
06-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Yeah, I know they won't actually be doing the composting, but letting scraps sit in your apartment for a week is a really bad idea. Flies, mice, rats, cockroaches--ecch. The only way to prevent that is to cover it appropriately or completely seal it and animal-proof it--and that ain't gonna happen with the majority of people. Then how do they put the stinking, rotting mess out on the street for pickup without rats and bugs going nuts over it?

I'm mostly just trying to imagine how the hell this could possibly work on a mass-scale in a place like NYC. The small details, like how they clean the bins that have to sit in the apartments--how does someone in a studio really clean that?

There's a part of me that wants to see it implemented. I'd be shocked if it worked.

I think that the people who want to do it are already doing it, based only on the comments on the NYT article. This is about forcing people who don't see a value in it into the program.

ANd it's probably as much about restaurants as it is homes. There were several comments wailing about the amount of food that is wasted by commercial establishments.

ANd as for how the cronies are going to cash in? It's going to be turned into biogas.

donnay
06-17-2013, 08:24 AM
As with everything government does it will start out voluntarily, then it will be enforced through fines and then if you still do not comply, it will be jail time.

Jackie Moon
06-18-2013, 05:48 AM
We have that here. It stinks.

http://media.katu.com/images/120207_portland_composts.jpg

They gave everyone these counter top buckets for food scraps and a yard debris/compost curb cart.

http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/212/907/212907642_640.jpg

It's only voluntary so far, but to give you more motivation to "volunteer" they cut garbage pick-up to once every two weeks and made recycling and compost pick-up weekly.

So now we pay more for a smaller garbage can that only gets picked up half as often, and have to do more work sorting out garbage/recycling/glass/food - not to mention having to deal with two week old garbage and cleaning out nasty food buckets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLJYQaoLgag

catfeathers
06-18-2013, 09:51 PM
When my husband was in the US Army, stationed in Germany, we lived in an apartment building outside the post gates. We had a compost bin in the parking lot. Depending on what people dumped in it you had to hold your breath on the way to your car.

Origanalist
06-18-2013, 10:43 PM
When my husband was in the US Army, stationed in Germany, we lived in an apartment building outside the post gates. We had a compost bin in the parking lot. Depending on what people dumped in it you had to hold your breath on the way to your car.

Growing up in the country, we had our share of "fragrances".

Constitutional Paulicy
06-19-2013, 12:44 AM
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50882000/jpg/_50882615_taiwan_640.jpg

VIDEO HERE... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12242914

Here in Taiwan, they have garbage trucks that play music, similar to the ice cream trucks we have in the states. They pass through each neighborhood 7 days a week. You walk your trash out to the street corner along with all the neighbors, and hand the garbage to the trash men on the back of the trucks. The garbage is never in your house more than a day.

The trash is separated at home by each resident. It doesn't sit outside accessible to animals or insects. Straight from the house and straight to the waste management facility.

This BBC News series focuses on aspects of life in countries and cities around the world. What may seem ordinary and familiar to the people who live there can be surprising to those who do not.

Taiwan's way of dealing with its residents' rubbish is rather unusual. On this small, densely populated island, most families live in apartments and do not have rubbish bins next to their house for the garbage trucks to pick up once a week.

Instead, the government has implemented what is commonly known in Taiwan as a "trash doesn't touch the ground" system - and to newcomers, this can be mind-boggling.

Now, trucks appear nightly, alerting people to their arrival with a high-pitched tune. Residents gather on the streets with their bags of rubbish, and have to throw them into the trucks themselves. The system tries to make everyone responsible for every bottled soda, take-away and even chicken drumstick they consume.

Cindy Sui spent the evening in Taipei waiting for the trucks - and spoke to local veterans of the garbage disposal system, Chang Yu-an and Su Shu-hui.

more here.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12242914

TheTexan
06-19-2013, 12:50 AM
Will they recycle my shit? Technically that's food waste, ya? And probably makes good compost, aside from the HFCS, artificial coloring, etc?

catfeathers
06-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Growing up in the country, we had our share of "fragrances".

Yeah, I grew up in the country too. That compost bin was pretty fragrant at times.

FrancisMarion
06-19-2013, 09:06 PM
The mayor is said to be hiring a composting plant to handle 100,000 tons of food scraps a year and that amount would represent about 10 percent of the city's residential food waste.

Um. 100,000 tons is 2 million pounds of food waste. And yet, this 2 million is only 10% of the city annual food waste. That means 20 million pounds of wasted food by New Yorkers per year.

So if a burger 1/4 pound burger costs $20 dollars, and all else being equal. New Yorkers are throwing away $1,600,000,000 per year by what they leave on their plates. :eek:

Guess they never got the ort lesson.

Edit: my math is way off. 100,000 tons is 200 million. Therefore 2,000,000,000 pounds of wasted food per year. And taken into burger value: $160,000,000,000.

Working Poor
06-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Taiwan's idea sounds pretty good. I think people should compost. An apartment building could put in closed bins that people could dumptheir compost into daily.

I have composted for many years.

Worm poop is actually quite expensive and I could see how anyone with access to large quantities of compost and worms could make a fortune.