PDA

View Full Version : Name That Blimp! Round THREE

hillertexas
11-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Name that blimp! We are starting to narrow it down.

I am carrying over the top 5 from Rounds 1 and 2
Air Force Ron: 74 votes
Liberty Ship: 26 votes
Liberty Eagle: 26 votes
Liberty Rising: 13 votes
The U.S. Constitution: 12 votes

I am also adding "Let Freedom Fly" and "Freedom" to give them a fair chance.

ClockwiseSpark
11-26-2007, 05:47 PM
If it was U.S.S. Constitution I'd go for it. For now it'll be Air Force Ron.

apc3161
11-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Air Force Ron is too scary for me.

The USS Constitution has been the name of a bunch of ships in the US navy which is why I voted for it. It is also the name of the longest commissioned ship in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uss_constitution

me3
11-26-2007, 05:49 PM
3 rounds of naming a blimp we can't afford yet?

Circuses.

goRPaul
11-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Air Force Ron is the most presidential sounding.

mkrfctr
11-26-2007, 05:56 PM
and where is Liberty One?

kind of pointless to keep narrowing the field down and simultaneously adding entries in the semi-finals ...

mbauer
11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
You had majority... no need for run offs :)

Santa Barbarian
11-26-2007, 06:00 PM
I just hope that the neo-con vote is split as much as the liberty "*" vote is.

hillertexas
11-26-2007, 06:01 PM
You had majority... no need for run offs :)

I wanted to make sure everyone could have their say. But if you think that this is "case closed" then we will go with "Air Force Ron" if that is ok with everyone

mkrfctr
11-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Kind of a question of who has any sort of authority to semi-officially name the craft

and how a not very well conducted online poll done on rpf over the course of what, 1 or 2 days constitutes the general consensus of the people here...

how about I start a poll and put the options I want, and then declare the winner whoever ...

mkrfctr
11-26-2007, 06:15 PM
hows about the people who actually donate money to the project submit their suggestion when they donate - seems a bit more fair to me ...

FreeTraveler
11-26-2007, 06:18 PM
How about letting whoever's organizing the project decide the question? I didn't even notice who started the polls.

hillertexas
11-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Kind of a question of who has any sort of authority to semi-officially name the craft

and how a not very well conducted online poll done on rpf over the course of what, 1 or 2 days constitutes the general consensus of the people here...

how about I start a poll and put the options I want, and then declare the winner whoever ...

"who has the authority..."
(nobody...that's why we voted)
"how about I start a poll..."
(ok)

hillertexas
11-26-2007, 06:19 PM
How about letting whoever's organizing the project decide the question? I didn't even notice who started the polls.

I have been in contact with Elijah about the voting and I started the polls

I was planning on narrowing it down to a few choices and letting Elijah (the man behind the blimp) decide.

I'm just helping with some of the blimp leg-work

kill the banks
11-26-2007, 06:23 PM
i don't think 32 total votes really is indication of the forum ?

kill the banks

BeFranklin
11-26-2007, 06:47 PM
and where is Liberty One?

kind of pointless to keep narrowing the field down and simultaneously adding entries in the semi-finals ...

um, we had Let Freedom Fly days before this poll even appeared, so it was unfair not to include it from the getgo.

Also, the people complaining about the liberty vote being split in this thread and the last were right too.

BeFranklin
11-26-2007, 06:51 PM

I'm a little irated too. For one thing, I'm not sure everyone who is voting is contributing to the blimp - and I'm pretty sure everyone who contributed should get a say. And maybe even by money amount contributed.

This is something that ought to just go out to those who actually donated from the official site if at all.

hillertexas
11-26-2007, 06:56 PM
um, we had Let Freedom Fly days before this poll even appeared, so it was unfair not to include it from the getgo.

Also, the people complaining about the liberty vote being split in this thread and the last were right too.

Sorry, I'm trying to accommodate everyone but I cannot modify a poll once i create it because i am not a moderator.

Someone else can start their own poll if they want. I was only trying to take some of the burden off of Elijah

BeFranklin
11-26-2007, 06:56 PM
i don't think 32 total votes really is indication of the forum ?

kill the banks

There is ~1061 pledges listed, so no. Less than 3% of everyone who pledged, even less by money.

moberley
11-26-2007, 06:57 PM
I voted, but I can't donate to this project. And, I think the poster who noted that contributors only should vote is correct. Those that contribute to the Blimp should make the decision on its name.

Not that there is any problem with a few polls on the Internet to gather the opinion of other folks.

hillertexas
11-26-2007, 07:03 PM
I have given Elijah all of the info from this poll. He is free to use it or ignore it.

I'm done with this poll so if you guys feel there is a better way to decide on a name...go for it.

Sorry we had to argue about something as stupid as naming a blimp :(

Rhys
11-26-2007, 07:39 PM
I think it's important to remember...

whomever pays for it isn't doing so to name a blimp. They're doing it for Ron Paul.

I think it should be called the Ron Paul Blimp, but that's just me.

However, if it flies, that's what's important. If naming it takes 3 weeks then just call it Dave and be done with it.

And really, thanks to all who do donate on behalf of those who can't.

cien750hp
11-26-2007, 07:45 PM
lets just assume the official name ends up being "air force ron"
then everyone can have their nicknames for it too.
like official nicknames can be freedom, liberty, and revolution.
"Freedom is coming" sounds alot better than "air force ron is coming"
however, "Freedom" doesn't sound like a very ship name

basically my point is call it whatever you want.

mstrmac1
11-26-2007, 07:47 PM
The "U.S. Constitution"

Bakkhus
11-26-2007, 08:01 PM
I think "Air Force Ron" is not such a good idea, as it is fetishizing the message of freedom and liberty. Dr. Paul has always said his campaign is about the message not him. Thus "Liberty Ship" "Liberty Rising" or "Liberty One" would make the best sense. My favorite is "Liberty One" as this name when spoken also sounds like "Liberty Won", meaning Dr. Paul's liberty message (his campaign) has won.

BeFranklin
11-26-2007, 09:01 PM
I think "Air Force Ron" is not such a good idea, as it is fetishizing the message of freedom and liberty. Dr. Paul has always said his campaign is about the message not him. Thus "Liberty Ship" "Liberty Rising" or "Liberty One" would make the best sense. My favorite is "Liberty One" as this name when spoken also sounds like "Liberty Won", meaning Dr. Paul's liberty message (his campaign) has won.

Thats what I feel about it, and why I logged on. All the other names are serious names. "Air Force Ron" says nothing about the message and somehow implies that we aren't really serious about this, when we are very serious about it. It would be a giant step backwards.

constitutional
11-26-2007, 09:23 PM
I have no idea what people are thinking when voting for Air Force Ron.

Are there people from Huckabee Army stuffing the ballot? :p

Taco John
11-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Ah Bummer... I'm late on this... I was going to suggest "Liberty One."

RPinSEAZ
11-26-2007, 11:57 PM
There's already 3 Liberty XXX names that when added together add up to more votes than "Air Force Ron", but somehow Air Force Ron is winning? Weak IMO.

Midnight77
11-27-2007, 12:43 AM
Air Force Ron is a terrible name. It doesn't sound very people friendly at all. Let cooler heads need to prevail here. One of the Liberty options is a much better choice.

Man from La Mancha
11-27-2007, 05:50 AM
The Liberty Ron Paul

AgentPaul001
11-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Guys, Air Force Ron makes it seem like we're planning an attack or something.

I like the U.S. Constitution or Let Freedom Fly. Most are fine, but Air Force Ron makes it sound aggressive.

macdee
11-29-2007, 12:12 AM
It should be just called "The Constitution!" If your flying it over the U.S., don't people know which constitution there talking about? If you going to use initials,

call it "The USS Constitution" so it sounds more official. You know like startrek... "The USS Enterprise."

mstrmac1
11-29-2007, 12:17 AM
Agreed. Any thing about the constitution would make everyone think. Liberty is good if Bush's war machine had not wore it out during the last 7 yrs in the war on terror.

bolidew
11-29-2007, 12:20 AM
We need Round FOUR!

BeFranklin
11-29-2007, 12:27 AM
Guys, Air Force Ron makes it seem like we're planning an attack or something.

I like the U.S. Constitution or Let Freedom Fly. Most are fine, but Air Force Ron makes it sound aggressive.

I agree. It needs to be fun and get the message across at the same time. That is why I like Let Freedom Fly.

BeFranklin
11-29-2007, 12:28 AM
We need Round FOUR!

Lets not have a round four right now. Lets nominate and debate names a little bit this time, we have till Friday.

thuja
11-29-2007, 12:32 AM
I wanted to make sure everyone could have their say. But if you think that this is "case closed" then we will go with "Air Force Ron" if that is ok with everyone

Air Force Ron!

jake
11-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Air Force Ron is a poor name imo.

mstrmac1
11-29-2007, 12:41 AM
Air Force Ron is a poor name imo.

I agree... but lets just get this mo/fo in the air.

macdee
11-29-2007, 12:42 AM
I've heard mentioned on main stream media the Ron Paul Revolution before. Why not just call it

"The Revolution." It's got Ron Paul's name on it. So "The Ron Paul Revolution" blimp builds on

the current "r3VOLution" branding already know. We would be building on a "PROVEN" campaign slogan!

All the people walking around with "Ron Paul Revolution" t-shirts would ALREADY BE PROMOTING the blimp!

People that saw the blimp or heard of it would be reminded by all the "revolution" t-shirts already out there!

It’s a great tie-in if you think about it!

People that saw the blimp would be immediately able to buy a t-shirt promoting The "Ron Paul Revolution" BLIMP!

Bakkhus
11-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Air Force Ron!

There have been several clearly explained rationales why "Air Force Ron" is a poor name selection. If anyone thinks thinks this is a good name, please explain your rationale for why it is a good name and rebut the arguments that have already been presented for why its bad.

hillertexas
11-29-2007, 08:25 AM
I think we are ready for Round 4 but once i create a poll, I cannot modify it. Looking at what has been the most popular, I was thinking of including:
Ron Paul rEVOLution
Air Force Ron
Freedom
U.S. Constitution
Liberty

comments? suggestions?

BeFranklin
11-29-2007, 08:34 AM
I think we are ready for Round 4 but once i create a poll, I cannot modify it. Looking at what has been the most popular, I was thinking of including:
Ron Paul rEVOLution
Air Force Ron
Freedom
U.S. Constitution
Liberty

comments? suggestions?

No, we aren't going to play this game again. We're going to debate it and discuss it this time. When we all agree, someone else I think is going to post the poll this time, including everything that everyone objected to before - ie the split liberty vote, not including liberty one, and so on.

Don't mean to be rude (actually yes I do), but you haven't been treating people very nice by not allowing any discussion.

hillertexas
11-29-2007, 08:38 AM
No, we aren't going to play this game again. We're going to debate it and discuss it this time. When we all agree, someone else I think is going to post the poll this time, including everything that everyone objected to before - ie the split liberty vote, not including liberty one, and so on.

Don't mean to be rude (actually yes I do), but you haven't been treating people very nice by not allowing any discussion.

:) Great...take the wheel, BeFranklin and post a poll when you think appropriate.

Fig
11-29-2007, 11:16 AM
I like Air Force Ron. Has just enough of a 'chuckle' factor to get it into news stories.

NinjaPirate
11-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Air Force Ron made me laugh, that's why I chose it. It's pretty harmless. I mean the real "Air Force One," is a friggen Boeing jumbo jet, not a warship. :p

However, I also liked "Liberty One."

TheEvilDetector
11-29-2007, 04:47 PM
A few other ideas for names:
Integrity
Opportunity
Small Brother
The Message

Ball
11-29-2007, 05:34 PM
It needs Ron's name in it.

MAKE HIM BLUSH DAMMIT!!!

To Liberty, AND BEYOND!

fedup100
11-29-2007, 05:43 PM
She will be called "THE SS REVOLUTION", or what we commonly refer to as "THE LOVE BOAT" Can't you just see it in the future in the history books??

SS REVOLUTION
Peace Prosperity Freedom

Ball
11-29-2007, 06:04 PM
I like Air Force Ron. Has just enough of a 'chuckle' factor to get it into news stories.

Exactly!

Here are reasons why it works:

1) It's catchy. It's easy to remember and report. We should fly it past CNN headquaters so they can go "There goes Air Force Ron again. Amazing....amazing..."

2) It's presidential. It makes Ron presidential. People will immediately associate it with Air Force One and the idea of President Paul will grow on them. It's about IMAGE people!

3) It has Ron's name in it. Liberty is all nice for us libertarian nerds, but to the general public?

C'mon nerds, get over yourselves. USS Constitution? You got a jingle for that? I got one, and I didn't even have to try:

Bigger than an elephant, graceful as a swan
He's not just the internet, he's really catching on
We'll take you for a ride so get your seat belt on
C'mon! Let's get aboard Air Force Ron!

Kalash
11-29-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm going with the above post.

Air Force Ron
Air Force One

They sound Similar enough.
It just works.

Liberty One works too...
But not quite as well.

Ron Paul - the Dirigible Candidate!

I think this should be Air Force Ron One...
And we should launch a fleet. =D

But... yeah.
I'll stick with the slogan...
"Your candidate just isn't dirigible enough for me."
;)

fireinme
11-29-2007, 06:31 PM
2) It's presidential. It makes Ron presidential. People will immediately associate it with Air Force One and the idea of President Paul will grow on them. It's about IMAGE people!

This is the best reason to call it this. I would change my vote if I could.

Matt
11-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Air Force Ron FTW!

robert4rp08
11-29-2007, 06:59 PM
When the media says "Air Force Ron" it will just sound like a bad pun. Need to use a name that will benefit from repeated use in the media.

"We the People"
"Freedom Floats"
"Freedom 4 All"
"U.S.S. Constitution"

Maybe just the U.S.S. Ron Paul.... the media will HAVE to say his name!

Actually, U.S.S. RON PAUL... someone has a signature with RON PAUL as an acronym for something really good (can't remember it though)

theantirobot
11-29-2007, 07:15 PM
"New Liberty"

Captain America
11-29-2007, 09:07 PM
U.S.S. RON PAUL or U. S. S. Constitution

air force paul may get bad press