PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolf Terrorism

fearthereaperx
06-16-2013, 01:15 PM
How do you prevent that without mass collection sweeps, recording, data mining, of all information of millions upon millions of Americans? Combine that with the philosophy of "we have to be right 100% of the time, the terrorists only have to be right once" than you have a recipe for the justification of a total surveillance state--which is already underway.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-16-2013, 01:17 PM
How do you prevent that without mass collection sweeps, recording, data mining, of all information of millions upon millions of Americans? Combine that with the philosophy of "we have to be right 100% of the time, the terrorists only have to be right once" than you have a recipe for the justification of a total surveillance state--which is already underway.

How much time are you going to spend preventing things that aren't happening anyway? That's my question.

fearthereaperx
06-16-2013, 01:28 PM
How much time are you going to spend preventing things that aren't happening anyway? That's my question.

How many plots have the FBI foiled that the FBI instigated? http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/opinion/sunday/terrorist-plots-helped-along-by-the-fbi.html?_r=0

They got all the time in the world:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

Philhelm
06-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Answer: You can't and you don't. It is literally impossible to make the world a safe place, and there is no justification for infringing upon the rights of millions upon millions of people for the small chance, and relatively small impact, of a terrorist attack.

thoughtomator
06-16-2013, 01:44 PM
There's no way to stop "lone wolf terrorism" without permanently imprisoning everyone. It's a clear choice - will you live free with the risks inherent in that, or do you prefer to be an animal in a cage, for your own good?

Oh, also - if they do go the imprisoning everyone route, don't be surprised if there's still "lone wolf terrorism" anyway. Gotta justify those prisons.

evilfunnystuff
06-16-2013, 01:55 PM
IMO, the lone wolf is the type I would think is least affected by data collection, profiling, spying etc.

Think of the mentality of the lone wolf, why is he "lone" to begin with, cause he is or was instructed to be very paranoid and not trust in others to get the job done. Anyone with motivation, reasonable intelligence, and discipline with this mindset is not likely to be discovered via those methods.

Seems to me, the Lone Wolf strategy was designed for a surveillance state.

UWDude
06-16-2013, 02:24 PM
IMO, the lone wolf is the type I would think is least affected by data collection, profiling, spying etc.

Think of the mentality of the lone wolf, why is he "lone" to begin with, cause he is or was instructed to be very paranoid and not trust in others to get the job done. Anyone with motivation, reasonable intelligence, and discipline with this mindset is not likely to be discovered via those methods.

This

DamianTV
06-16-2013, 02:28 PM

The reason the Lone Wolf exists in the first place is because our Govt has turned on us. They call real Patriots, you know, those who do everything in their power to work within the system, like the Ron Paul supporters did to try to make him the Republican Presidential Nominee, those people, they get slapped with the label Lone Wolf so they can be discredited and discarded by the real problems that exist in the system. Most of the Lone Wolf types are just people trying to get involved and oppose the Status Quo. Ordinary People, like you and me.

Now, are you trying to suggest that "we" need to be monitored because our support for Ron Paul which is directly opposing the Status Quo makes us so dangerous that we need to be monitored? Or maybe our Govt is the one that needs to be held accountable for its actions?

There is NO valid jusitification of a complete and total Surveillance State. The tools and excuses they use to fight terrorism WILL be turned against you when you speak out. The problem there is when you finally do speak out, there will be no one left to speak on your behalf, and you will realize that everyone else that would have spoken has been taken down by the Surveillance State. You will be alone in your resistance, making you the "Lone Wolf" that you are so afraid of.

Murray N Rothbard
06-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Thought police.

fearthereaperx
06-16-2013, 02:49 PM
The reason the Lone Wolf exists in the first place is because our Govt has turned on us. They call real Patriots, you know, those who do everything in their power to work within the system, like the Ron Paul supporters did to try to make him the Republican Presidential Nominee, those people, they get slapped with the label Lone Wolf so they can be discredited and discarded by the real problems that exist in the system. Most of the Lone Wolf types are just people trying to get involved and oppose the Status Quo. Ordinary People, like you and me.

Now, are you trying to suggest that "we" need to be monitored because our support for Ron Paul which is directly opposing the Status Quo makes us so dangerous that we need to be monitored? Or maybe our Govt is the one that needs to be held accountable for its actions?

There is NO valid jusitification of a complete and total Surveillance State. The tools and excuses they use to fight terrorism WILL be turned against you when you speak out. The problem there is when you finally do speak out, there will be no one left to speak on your behalf, and you will realize that everyone else that would have spoken has been taken down by the Surveillance State. You will be alone in your resistance, making you the "Lone Wolf" that you are so afraid of.

I am just going through the thought processes of why people sympathize with a large, benevolent national security state. If they carry the philosophy of the 1% doctrine, and the "we have to be right 100% of the time" doctrine, or my favorite "even if it only saves one life/child" doctrine, which these people that craft policy that affect us clearly do, than an all encompassing surveillance state is the end game and their only solution.

fearthereaperx
06-16-2013, 02:59 PM

This doesn't stop the data fusion centers from building-- via data mining-- personality/lifestyle files on you with increased monitoring if a person meets the specific metrics and parameters plugged into the system. They know people that fit the proposed SPLC, RAND corp profiles are out there, they just need to locate them and learn more about them.. and they have the technology to do it.

DamianTV
06-16-2013, 03:45 PM
This doesn't stop the data fusion centers from building-- via data mining-- personality/lifestyle files on you with increased monitoring if a person meets the specific metrics and parameters plugged into the system. They know people that fit the proposed SPLC, RAND corp profiles are out there, they just need to locate them and learn more about them.. and they have the technology to do it.

And what is to stop them from turning that technology on you?

fearthereaperx
06-16-2013, 03:55 PM
And what is to stop them from turning that technology on you?

nothing, I think you're misunderstanding my position here.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-16-2013, 04:42 PM

Yeah.. the whole concept is to make you worry about someone who is either imaginary, or doesn't wish to harm you anyway.

The concept that government is going to protect *YOU* from a "lone wolf" type is laughable. Even if a "lone wolf" type exists, why would a normal person be their target?? How many million people live in america? How many are lone wolf terrorists?

It's a fear tactic, to make you afraid of things that threaten them. Any "lone wolf" terrorist is not going after you.

I'm gonna grill burgers for friends in a little bit. Should we be worried about lone wolf terrorists? lmao. What a bunch of stupid shit.

JK/SEA
06-16-2013, 04:47 PM
interesting data mining thread. I wonder if there any CIA operatives in here...

I have a T-shirt with a wolf on it. Does that make me a lone wolf?...or is it because i love wolves?...meh...burp..