PDA

View Full Version : House votes for Afghan withdrawal by 2014, Labrador, Stockman vote NO

wormyguy
06-16-2013, 12:51 PM
http://politics.nytimes.com/congress/votes/113/house/1/226

Those two were the most disappointing. If you live in the district of someone who voted against, call up their office!

RP Supporter
06-16-2013, 01:13 PM
And let me guess... This will die in the senate, with Reid gleefully ensuring it fails.

CPUd
06-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Maybe their position is that we should get out now?

06-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Maybe their position is that we should get out now?

Possibly, or something like spending is hidden in the bill they didn't like.

Krzysztof Lesiak
06-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Well Stockman voted against the entire NDAA for fiscal year 2014 as did Labrador, so that's good. Dissapointed in Mark Safnord and Walter Jones though. I've already lost hope in Kerry Bentivolio

wormyguy
06-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Well Stockman voted against the entire NDAA for fiscal year 2014 as did Labrador, so that's good. Dissapointed in Mark Safnord and Walter Jones though. I've already lost hope in Kerry Bentivolio

...they all voted for this.

Brett85
06-16-2013, 06:34 PM
It seems like the only two members of the house we can count on 100% of the time is Amash and Massie. McClintock is the 3rd best in my opinion.

PSYOP
06-16-2013, 06:55 PM

Ummm, Walter Jones and Sanford both voted for the amendment... :rolleyes:

emazur
06-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Related topic: we complain that presidents unilaterally declare war without a Congressional declaration of war, but Ron Paul has talked about how he as Commander in Chief could unilaterally decide to bring all troops home. Two questions on that:
1) If that is so, why is there a vote here? Yes, I am aware Obama != Ron Paul
2) Do you think the power for a prez to declare withdrawal is too much power in one man's hands? Sure, war is usually a racket but there is also the possibility that withdrawing too early could be a critical strategic blunder (I'm not saying this would be the case for Afghanistan, just wars in general)

Occam's Banana
06-16-2013, 10:10 PM
2) Do you think the power for a prez to declare withdrawal is too much power in one man's hands?

No. In fact, it is his job as Commander in Chief to make such decisions. It is one of the reasons for having the office of President in the first place.

Sure, war is usually a racket but there is also the possibility that withdrawing too early could be a critical strategic blunder (I'm not saying this would be the case for Afghanistan, just wars in general)

The making of strategic mistakes is an ever-present possibility - no matter who is making the decisions. So this doesn't really vitiate against the President making such decisions, since it would apply just as much to Congress (or whoever else might make such decisions) in place of the President.

If a President demonstrates incompetence at such decision making, Congress could impeach him. Or he could be voted out of office.

That's the theory, anyway ...

compromise
06-17-2013, 02:53 AM
Wow, Paul Ryan voted to withdraw US troops from Afghanistan.

Radel, Schweikert, Mullin, Gowdy, Gosar and Gohmert voted the wrong way. They need to be called up.

Senate will be interesting. I expect the only Rs who'll vote to withdraw will be Paul, Lee, Collins, Kirk, Heller, Cruz, maybe Coburn and maybe Flake (although McCain may have "changed his mind".)