PDA

View Full Version : FAQs for the Blimp

T206
11-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Ill make this as short as possible. Lots of people are complaining about the blimp, and Im having second thoughts that would be cleared up if someone could answer the following:

1. How many will see the blimp itself?

2. How many will see it due to local media?

3. How many will see it due to national media?

4. As a potential donor to this cause, I am concerned that if the blimp accidentally damages personal property, or causes loss of life or injury to a passanger or person on the ground, that I could be held partly liable for supporting this program? Ie. will I get sued?

5. I've already seen blimp rides "awarded" to two individuals, how is this possible? Are there tax implications for someone given an award with such a value? Will this gift be reported to the IRS?

6. The original budget called for $350k to support the blimp. Since then other ideas such as a spot light truck, remote controlled "pace car" blimps to follow, and paid staff to support the program have all been added. What is the financial impact to the original $350k plan?

7. We have been told that the blimp will fly over the Super Bowl and Times Square for New Yeas. Has the proper research been done to get the security clearance for these incredibly restricted regions of air space?

8. How are the current pledges being validated, if at all?

9. Who's idea was it in the first place?

10. How can this be done legally without a committee? How do we know the guy who started this won't take our money and run?

11. What will it say? What is the message? (other than RP for Pres)

Sorry if any of these have been answered recently, but I have not been around for the last 24 hours or so and did a quick check that didnt show any results. If anyone would like to add to thise please PM me and Id be happy to add them, to the thread.

Please do not respond to this telling me that Im spamming or being negative because this is an honest effort to make sure that the good intentions of those who came up with this idea have thought out all of the possibilities. I do believe that these questions need to be answered in good faith by those planning this effort. I also think that making this thread a sticky that is continually updated with answers will go a long way in reducing any of the people who you feel are "just being negative." You cant blame people for wanting answers as to where their hard earned money will go. Thanks for listening.

cero
11-26-2007, 05:48 PM
let me add one more
Who's Idea was it in the first place?

Midnight77
11-26-2007, 06:15 PM
These questions need to be answered.

hillertexas
11-26-2007, 06:16 PM
search "Elijah"...it was his idea

kylejack
11-26-2007, 06:18 PM
I have another: how can this be done legally without a committee? Because I don't think it can.

torchbearer
11-26-2007, 06:26 PM
I have another: how can this be done legally without a committee? Because I don't think it can.

It is a human's right to come together in association for any purpose without government interference.

seapilot
11-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Answer to question #4

As far as getting sued, I think that is a non issue. The blimp is from a charter company I imagine, and they will have a licensed pilot and are required by law to have liability insurance. Anyone giving money to charter the blimp would have no responsibility.

# 7 I am not sure if there is a different regulation on Blimps, but you are not allowed to fly over an open assembly of persons with an aircraft, ie superbowl , times square. This maybe different for a lighter than air craft (blimp) because of the good year blimp. You can get special clearance from ATC though to fly over almost any city as long as you are in radar and radio contact.

Overall its like pitching in to charter a bus, except in this case its a blimp. If the bus said Ron Paul on the side I dont know how that would be any different. Not sure this would require a committe if it is strictly a grass roots effort.

350,000 at 100 hours flight is 3500 per hour. This is not cheap for sure. Plus Blimps are slow and fly at about 60 so wouldnt imagine it would be flying all around the country, probably on the east coast where the densest populations are would be best. You can charter a helicopter for around 800 an hour.

I am not involved in this project, just know a little because I work in the aircraft charter business.

torchbearer
11-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Answer to question #4

As far as getting sued, I think that is a non issue. The blimp is from a charter company I imagine, and they will have a licensed pilot and are required by law to have liability insurance. Anyone giving money to charter the blimp would have no responsibility.

# 7 I am not sure if there is a different regulation on Blimps, but you are not allowed to fly over an open assembly of persons with an aircraft, ie superbowl , times square. This maybe different for a lighter than air craft (blimp) because of the good year blimp. You can get special clearance from ATC though to fly over almost any city as long as you are in radar and radio contact.

Overall its like pitching in to charter a bus, except in this case its a blimp. If the bus said Ron Paul on the side I dont know how that would be any different. Not sure this would require a committe if it is strictly a grass roots effort.

350,000 at 100 hours flight is 3500 per hour. This is not cheap for sure. Plus Blimps are slow and fly at about 60 so wouldnt imagine it would be flying all around the country, probably on the east coast where the densest populations are would be best. You can charter a helicopter for around 800 an hour.

I am not involved in this project, just know a little because I work in the aircraft charter business.

Thank you for your valuable input. Hopefully the guys getting the blimp consult with you too.

kylejack
11-26-2007, 06:49 PM
It is a human's right to come together in association for any purpose without government interference.

I asked how it can be legal, not how can it be ethically sound. The laws don't run concurrent with ethics and morality. We don't live in a free country.

torchbearer
11-26-2007, 06:55 PM
I asked how it can be legal, not how can it be ethically sound. The laws don't run concurrent with ethics and morality. We don't live in a free country.

And I say you only have the rights you are willing to fight and die for.... so you will never have that right back until you are ready to fight for it.
If its an unjust law....why do you follow it?

T206
11-26-2007, 06:57 PM
And I say you only have the rights you are willing to fight and die for.... so you will never have that right back until you are ready to fight for it.

Hey guys, nothing personal, but can we move this debate elsewhere? I respect both of your opinions, but I want to keep this thread clear so we can see additional questions to be answered, and also get the actual answeres from those running this thing.

Thanks.

kylejack
11-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Elijah claims this can be done legally. I'm asking about the legality of the blimp project, not the natural rights of individuals. There are more noble projects that I can use for civil disobedience. To be clear, I have no interest in your replies if they don't respond to the question I asked, which is the legality of the blimp project absent a committee.

T206,
I am not interested in a debate about natural rights, but only an answer to my frequently asked question.

moberley
11-26-2007, 07:19 PM

So called third-party activities have a lot of grey areas. But, basically I would agree that any project of this financial magnitude done by more than one person would require a properly registered Political Action Committee.

However, according the RonPaulBlimp.com pledge website the organizers are planning on establishing a committee. (There are lots of such third party PACs that support just one candidate, including some for Ron Paul.) it is down near the bottom of the page below all the videos and such.

What will you do with my money?

Currently we are accepting pledges for the amount you wish to donate. We are in the process of forming an official Political Action Committee to take care of the funds. If you would like to help please email us here.

moberley
11-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Sorry, I see in other threads that the information posted on RonPaulBlimps.com is now incorrect and the organizers are not forming a Political Committee. That seems sketchy to me, but I am not a lawyer. I hope that they have a good legal explanation to back up the plan because I can see this sort of thing getting challenged in a court.

kylejack
11-26-2007, 07:27 PM
So called third-party activities have a lot of grey areas. But, basically I would agree that any project of this financial magnitude done by more than one person would require a properly registered Political Action Committee.

However, according the RonPaulBlimp.com pledge website the organizers are planning on establishing a committee. (There are lots of such third party PACs that support just one candidate, including some for Ron Paul.) it is down near the bottom of the page below all the videos and such.

No, that plan changed. They are now NOT going to be using a committee.

Edit: I see your correction.

yaz
11-26-2007, 08:49 PM
how do we know the guy who started this won't take our money and run?

Ginobili
11-26-2007, 08:54 PM
how do we know the guy who started this won't take our money and run?

Hence the reason im yet to donate.

yaz
11-26-2007, 08:57 PM
ok i'll start a thread then

jbb1976
11-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Here's another one: What will it say? What is the message? (other than RP for Pres)

Drknows
11-27-2007, 12:12 AM
WAIT!!!

the pledges are just buying transportation? Am i correct? I thought someone said one person was paying for the graphics that will support ron paul? Am I correct?

Just asking questions.....

cien750hp
11-27-2007, 12:16 AM
WAIT!!!

the pledges are just buying transportation? Am i correct? I thought someone said one person was paying for the graphics that will support ron paul? Am I correct?

Just asking questions.....

its my understanding that the owner is throwing in the the graphics free, along with the reduced price, short notice, short contract, and more hours.
so the 350,000 covers everything.

Elijah
11-27-2007, 12:43 AM
Ill make this as short as possible. Lots of people are complaining about the blimp, and Im having second thoughts that would be cleared up if someone could answer the following:

1. How many will see the blimp itself?

2. How many will see it due to local media?

3. How many will see it due to national media?

4. As a potential donor to this cause, I am concerned that if the blimp accidentally damages personal property, or causes loss of life or injury to a passanger or person on the ground, that I could be held partly liable for supporting this program? Ie. will I get sued?

5. I've already seen blimp rides "awarded" to two individuals, how is this possible? Are there tax implications for someone given an award with such a value? Will this gift be reported to the IRS?

6. The original budget called for $350k to support the blimp. Since then other ideas such as a spot light truck, remote controlled "pace car" blimps to follow, and paid staff to support the program have all been added. What is the financial impact to the original $350k plan?

7. We have been told that the blimp will fly over the Super Bowl and Times Square for New Yeas. Has the proper research been done to get the security clearance for these incredibly restricted regions of air space?

8. How are the current pledges being validated, if at all?

9. Who's idea was it in the first place?

10. How can this be done legally without a committee? How do we know the guy who started this won't take our money and run?

11. What will it say? What is the message? (other than RP for Pres)

Sorry if any of these have been answered recently, but I have not been around for the last 24 hours or so and did a quick check that didnt show any results. If anyone would like to add to thise please PM me and Id be happy to add them, to the thread.

Please do not respond to this telling me that Im spamming or being negative because this is an honest effort to make sure that the good intentions of those who came up with this idea have thought out all of the possibilities. I do believe that these questions need to be answered in good faith by those planning this effort. I also think that making this thread a sticky that is continually updated with answers will go a long way in reducing any of the people who you feel are "just being negative." You cant blame people for wanting answers as to where their hard earned money will go. Thanks for listening.

These are all great questions and I am glad you asked them. I will add them to our FAQ which will be released soon.

Thank you for your patience.

jrpinsd
11-27-2007, 01:40 AM
Elijah,

Thank you for your miraculous efforts! The first questions I had when I saw the Dec 1st date set as both a deadline and (apparent) launch date were:

1-Is there a specific day/time that these funds must be delivered to the owner/company? Meaning if you've got the pledges supporting the 350k before the 1st, what is the breakdown of the donation process through "escrow" to the company? Are you looking for one day donations on the 31st/1st or are you attempting to open donation acceptance asap? How flexible is the owner on the receipt of funds and other contractual obligations?

2-I've read that the blimp is currently in use or at least rented through the 1st of December...is there any possibility that it will not be returned on time and or not in 100% working condition?

3-realistically, what is the est date range of takeoff?

My concerns lie with the haters...I wouldn't put it past them to try and exploit any mistakes, miscalculations, or "fly by night" attempts.

Please forgive me if any of these questions have been addressed/answered as surely you have thought of them...

Thanks again!

-Jeff

T206
11-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi, My name is the "FAQs for the Blimp" thread.

I dont know if any of you have noticed, but I've been neglected by the person "running" this project for over 24 hours now. Please help me by encouraging him to answer these questions.

PatriotOne
11-27-2007, 06:15 PM
I havn't been following the Blimp threads much so please forgive me if this has all been answered to your satisfaction, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttttttt.............. .

Has there been assurances that this isn't a scam? How do you all know that the $350,000.00 is going to be spent on a Blimp? For $350,000.00, this could be an elaborate scam. Hopefully there is rock solid assurances and I hope you all have asked the right questions.

I've just noticed that there seem to be an awful lot of chip-ins lately that seem rather dubious.

Man from La Mancha
11-27-2007, 09:21 PM
The blimp company is well founded it appears, so why not just donate to the company directly with the assurance if this doesn't work all money will be returned by the word of the owner of the blimp company? Just an idea.

T206
11-27-2007, 09:29 PM
The blimp company is well founded it appears, so why not just donate to the company directly with the assurance if this doesn't work all money will be returned by the word of the owner of the blimp company? Just an idea.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon13.gif