PDA

View Full Version : iPhone to include "presidential alerts" you can't turn off

Elias Graves
06-16-2013, 08:30 AM
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/06/att-to-load-iphones-with-emergency-alerts-from-obama-that-you-cant-switch-off/?utm_source=twitterfeed

AT&T has begun rolling out Wireless Emergency Alerts updates for iPhone 4S and 5, so you won’t be the last folks to know if the entire northern hemisphere is about to be covered in ice à la Day After Tomorrow.

You’ll receive a notification from the carrier when your update is ready, but only if you’re using iOS 6.1 or higher.

Once installed, AMBER and Emergency alerts are automatically sent to your phone unless you switch them off via Settings. However, should you be tired of Obama, just know that there’s no way to switch off Presidential alerts.

-------------
As much as I dig my iPhone, this may drive me to a different phone. I don't want to hear anything that guy has to say.

ghengis86
06-16-2013, 08:34 AM
I find this slightly less offensive that they can track, listen to and take video of you secretly. Slightly.

JK/SEA
06-16-2013, 08:37 AM
resistance is futile. You will be absorbed. Sooner or later.

Pericles
06-16-2013, 08:47 AM
No iPhone = no issue

I vote with my wallet.

VoluntaryAmerican
06-16-2013, 08:51 AM
This is bullshit.

Propaganda from the president straight to people's phones... what a load of crap.

Neil Desmond
06-16-2013, 08:57 AM
The Orwellian telescreen has finally arrived.

Elias Graves
06-16-2013, 09:14 AM
I expect to receive a message to be on the lookout for myself.

kahless
06-16-2013, 09:22 AM
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20041212232621/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/4/40/LandruProjection.jpg/180px-LandruProjection.jpg

Seraphim
06-16-2013, 09:27 AM
This. Don't buy an Iphone.

Buy it and bitch about = you empower the measure.

Don't buy it and keep your mouth shut = their bottom line suffers and they must respond.

No iPhone = no issue

I vote with my wallet.

PaulConventionWV
06-16-2013, 09:31 AM
I find this slightly less offensive that they can track, listen to and take video of you secretly. Slightly.

I find it rather pompous, if that's even the right word. It's invasive in the sense that it forces you to accept the idea that everything Obama has to say is important. At least spying on you doesn't make that assumption. The point where we start having Obama Alerts is the point where I start to realize just how much the state expects us to worship the president. He's like Fearless Leader who wants to be on every TV screen, every radio at all times so that he can remind the people just how much they need him and appreciate him. To me, this is no less absurd than spying on us because it gives you no option to just not give a fuck... at least, that is if you have an iPhone, which I don't.

06-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Don't have an iphone and never will.

Somebody will come up with a jailbreak from the obama alerts.

PaulConventionWV
06-16-2013, 09:36 AM
resistance is futile. You will be absorbed assimilated. Sooner or later.

FIFY. I just like that word better.

Sola_Fide
06-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Wonder what will change if Rand is president. ..

muh_roads
06-16-2013, 09:46 AM
jailbreak your phone and you won't have to worry.

Android had presidential alerts awhile ago...just root it.

cajuncocoa
06-16-2013, 09:53 AM
WTF is a "presidential alert"?

tod evans
06-16-2013, 09:55 AM

Who cares?

cajuncocoa
06-16-2013, 09:57 AM
I don't care​, just curious.

TruckinMike
06-16-2013, 10:00 AM
passé
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRA9KW-v1V-o9P1ND3xG3SW0uhP-LAkerGNy77MzfrbYOufTKoR2w

PROGRESSIVE
http://responsiblemarketing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/obama-iphone.jpg

Neil Desmond
06-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Something issued by the Ministry of Truth...you know, a beautiful thing (the destruction of words), newspeak, doublethink; stuff like: we were never at war with Eurasia, we've always been at war with Eastasia; chocolate rations were going to be decreased but they were actually increased; Yes I inhaled-that was the point.

Restore America Now
06-16-2013, 10:09 AM
If it's just AT&T, simply use a different carrier.

wormyguy
06-16-2013, 10:26 AM
It's probably things like tornado/hurricane warnings and such.

Anti Federalist
06-16-2013, 10:37 AM
I expect to receive a message to be on the lookout for myself.

You, sir, have won today's internets.

Have a rep!

Neil Desmond
06-16-2013, 10:40 AM
It's probably things like tornado/hurricane warnings and such.
For weather alerts? Seriously? Well heck, maybe you're right. Next thing you know they'll make it where you can't turn such things off on your TVs, car radios, computers, land line phones, etc. Maybe they'll use these things to order people to stay in their homes just like that BS they did with the Boston bombings. Maybe someday they'll come out with a new and improved feature on homes - the doors and windows will have electronic locks, and you won't be able to disable these electronic locking mechanisms; then they'll make them mandatory and a crime to disable or remove them; then they'll make it mandatory to connect them to the internet so they can control them "for your safety." That probably won't be where it ends, either.

Anti Federalist
06-16-2013, 10:41 AM
If it's just AT&T, simply use a different carrier.

AFAIK under the WARN Act, all wireless providers had "volunteered" for the service.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/wireless-emergency-alerts-wea

Anti Federalist
06-16-2013, 10:42 AM
For weather alerts? Seriously? Well heck, maybe you're right. Next thing you know they'll make it where you can't turn such things off on your TVs, car radios, computers, land line phones, etc.

Maybe they'll use these things to order people to stay in their homes just like that BS they did with the Boston bombings.

Maybe someday they'll come out with a new and improved feature on homes - the doors and windows will have electronic locks, and you won't be able to disable these electronic locking mechanisms; then they'll make them mandatory and a crime to disable or remove them

; then they'll make it mandatory to connect them to the internet so they can control them "for your safety."

That probably won't be where it ends, either.

They did.

And they already have, on cars.

Anti Federalist
06-16-2013, 10:45 AM

Wireless Emergency Alerts on Your Mobile Device

http://www.ctia.org/consumer_info/safety/index.cfm/AID/12082

CTIA-The Wireless Association® and the wireless industry joined the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to offer Americans a robust and reliable wireless emergency alert system.

Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA), also known as Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS) or Personal Localized Alerting Network (PLAN), is a national emergency alert system to send concise, text-like messages to users' WEA-capable mobile devices starting April 2012. Wireless providers representing nearly 97 percent of subscribers are participating in distributing wireless emergency alerts.

Mobile users will not be charged for receiving these text-like alerts and are automatically enrolled to receive them.

There are three different kinds of alerts:

Presidential Alerts – Alerts issued by the President or a designee;
Imminent Threat Alerts – Alerts that include severe man-made or natural disasters, such as hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc., where an imminent threat to life or property exists; and
AMBER Alerts– Alerts that meet the U.S. Department of Justice's criteria to help law enforcement search for and locate an abducted child.

While these alerts will appear on a person's mobile device similar to a text message, Wireless Emergency Alerts are not text messages. Instead, Wireless Emergency Alerts use a different kind of technology to ensure they are delivered immediately and are not subjected to potential congestion (or delays) on wireless networks.

In addition, Wireless Emergency Alerts are a point-to-multipoint system, which means alert messages will be sent to those within a targeted area, unlike text messages which are not location aware. For example, if a person with a WEA-capable device from Washington, D.C. happened to be in southern California when an earthquake occurred in that area, they would receive an "Imminent Threat Alert" on their device.

There are a number of WEA-capable devices available today, and many of the new phones that are sold from participating carriers will be able to transmit these alerts. If your device has the CTIA Wireless Emergency Alerts logo, then it is WEA-capable. To receive these alerts, you might need to only upgrade your device's software, rather than purchase a new one. To confirm Wireless Emergency Alerts are available in your area and your device is capable of receiving the alerts, please check with your carrier.

A Son of Liberty
06-16-2013, 10:46 AM
For weather alerts? Seriously? Well heck, maybe you're right. Next thing you know they'll make it where you can't turn such things off on your TVs, car radios, computers, land line phones, etc. Maybe they'll use these things to order people to stay in their homes just like that BS they did with the Boston bombings. Maybe someday they'll come out with a new and improved feature on homes - the doors and windows will have electronic locks, and you won't be able to disable these electronic locking mechanisms; then they'll make them mandatory and a crime to disable or remove them; then they'll make it mandatory to connect them to the internet so they can control them "for your safety." That probably won't be where it ends, either.

well and truly stated, sir. Rep to you.

Neil Desmond
06-16-2013, 11:02 AM
They did.

And they already have, on cars.
Oh, right, I didn't think about that. Good point.

Neil Desmond
06-16-2013, 11:04 AM
well and truly stated, sir. Rep to you.
Thanks you.

Debbie Downer
06-16-2013, 11:22 AM
No iPhone = no issue

I vote with my wallet.

This "feature" is on every new phone.

Matt Collins
06-16-2013, 03:54 PM
I think all smartphones have these now.

jclay2
06-16-2013, 04:37 PM
I have a modified version of android jelly bean. It has alerts on it, but I have total control over them and can turn them off if I like. I suggest whatever smartphone you have, take a trip over to xda-developers and free up your phone.

Anti Federalist
06-16-2013, 06:07 PM
I have a modified version of android jelly bean. It has alerts on it, but I have total control over them and can turn them off if I like. I suggest whatever smartphone you have, take a trip over to xda-developers and free up your phone.

Felony violation of the WARN Act.

We have your location.

Stand still and await SWAT, which is on its way.

Elias Graves
06-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Can I move to Scotland now?

J_White
06-16-2013, 11:24 PM
The NSA phone has everything - threat level alerts, to do lists (praise the Govt ! ).

http://i.imgur.com/TcTQnP0.jpg

newbitech
06-16-2013, 11:29 PM
your mom's so fat, she sat on an iPhone and it became and iPad.

sailingaway
06-16-2013, 11:47 PM
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/06/att-to-load-iphones-with-emergency-alerts-from-obama-that-you-cant-switch-off/?utm_source=twitterfeed

AT&T has begun rolling out Wireless Emergency Alerts updates for iPhone 4S and 5, so you won’t be the last folks to know if the entire northern hemisphere is about to be covered in ice à la Day After Tomorrow.

You’ll receive a notification from the carrier when your update is ready, but only if you’re using iOS 6.1 or higher.

Once installed, AMBER and Emergency alerts are automatically sent to your phone unless you switch them off via Settings. However, should you be tired of Obama, just know that there’s no way to switch off Presidential alerts.

-------------
As much as I dig my iPhone, this may drive me to a different phone. I don't want to hear anything that guy has to say.

seriously. Are they on it already or if I upgrade quickly can I avoid it?

I hear androids are good. I may have to look at that.

There has to be one that hasn't signed up for it.

Reason
06-17-2013, 12:50 AM
This has been in pretty much every phone made in the last year... Passed via legislation quite a while ago... Not new, not specific to the iPhone, and not carrier specific either...

mad cow
06-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Yeah,well I got me an iPhone last month and I'll be laughing up my sleeve when Obama is sending me stock tips and the real point spreads to football games that you all ain't gettin'.
HA HA HA HA

Mani
06-17-2013, 01:05 AM
iphones, the next release of X-Box and it's Kinect.

They are turning technology into the ultimate orwellian state.

The funny thing about Kinect. is microsoft is touting it's PRIVACY policy, saying "We are not going to spy on you. You can switch on privacy modes..."

But you can NEVER unplug that shit from the internet.

Isn't it strange when you have to keep telling people. "HEY, we are not spying on you! Hey! Honest, really we are not spying on you. We are the leaders in the privacy!"

"In a separate chat with Eurogamer, corporate vice-president Phil Harrison insisted that "Microsoft has very, very good policies around privacy. We're a leader in the world of privacy, I think you'll find. We take it very seriously...."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/54819/xbox-one-kinect-wont-be-used-to-spy-on-you-camera-can-be-switched-off/

Does leader mean, the first company to start cooperating with NSA????

DamianTV
06-17-2013, 01:45 AM
resistance is futile. You will be absorbed. Sooner or later.

http://www.775.net/biobob/images/dyslexiaofborg.jpg

DamianTV
06-17-2013, 01:47 AM
This. Don't buy an Iphone.

Buy it and bitch about = you empower the measure.

Don't buy it and keep your mouth shut = their bottom line suffers and they must respond.

Apple will probably just try to make it MANDATORY for ALL cell phones to have this "feature". Next on their list: Computers, TVs, and Game Consoles.

opal
06-17-2013, 06:41 AM
does anyone besides me miss as the second or third post in a thread like this saying

*THROW IT IN THE WOODS!* ?

kathy88
06-17-2013, 07:00 AM
You know how many phones are going to be smashed the first time that arrogant ass shows up uninvited on the screen? Should be fun to watch.