PDA

View Full Version : Slaton police arrest woman after request to see warrant

sailingaway
06-15-2013, 01:29 AM
Slaton police came to this woman's house, who wishes to remain anonymous, to arrest her son. But by asking one simple question, she found herself behind bars instead.

"I told him, 'I will release my son to you upon viewing those orders.' Those were exactly my words," The complainant said. "He said, 'This is how you want to play?' He took two steps back, turned around to the officer and said, 'Take her.' They turned me around, handcuffed me, and took me in."

The complainant said she was aware police would be coming to apprehend her 11-year-old son based on a criminal complaint, and that she just wanted to see the warrant. As it turns out, that warrant didn't exist. She spent the night in jail while her son was left at home.

"He told me it was their duty to come pick up my son," She said. "Yet, I had someone stay the night at my house. They never came back that evening, they never came to pick up my son, or do what they told me they were there to do in the beginning."

"This occurred on May 29 when they went out to apprehend this young man," Dwight McDonald, the family's attorney, said. "The directive to apprehend was not signed until May 30, which is another indication that they didn't have the authority to go out and arrest him or apprehend this young man."

The Slaton Police Department is willing to issue an apology, but McDonald said that's not enough.

"If she moves out of Slaton and tries to find a job elsewhere, you can Google her name, and at that point, the arrest, my guess is, is going to show up," McDonald said.

"I will accept an apology, but what is that going to do?" The complainant said. "It's not going to take my picture off the internet sites that have been posted, from being published in the newspaper, from where I work. I've never been in trouble, in 32 years of my life, from anything, and to get thrown in jail because I asked a question is not right."

McDonald said the Slaton Police Department will issue an apology as long as the mother agrees not to file a lawsuit.

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/news/local/story/slaton-police-lubbock-wrongful-arrest-warrant/0vJ1Rr-6OkqWHtfsUtvqGg.cspx

video coverage at link

SludgeFactory
06-15-2013, 02:05 PM
File a lawsuit. An apology is not enough as this lady has pointed out. Police officers need to be fired over this kind of conduct before it will go away. If they are not, more and more people will trust them less and less as we already see today.

Weston White
06-15-2013, 02:09 PM
No way! She should be down on her knees praising them all for not blowing her in half.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h393/0001011011/My_Authoritah_by_wareagle884.jpg

angelatc
06-15-2013, 02:11 PM
In addition to everything else - they came to arrest an 11 year old kid?

ETA: From the comments:
Her 11 year old son raped a five year old girl Shudder.

Debbie Downer
06-15-2013, 02:11 PM
McDonald said the Slaton Police Department will issue an apology as long as the mother agrees not to file a lawsuit.

Fuck you.

LibertyEagle
06-15-2013, 02:31 PM
This stuff is horrifying.

satchelmcqueen
06-15-2013, 02:47 PM
she needs to file a lawsuit.

MelissaWV
06-15-2013, 02:52 PM

ETA: From the comments: Shudder.

There should be an "allegedly" in there, though. That seems like the sort of charge that, while not impossible, seems HIGHLY suspect. Did the child complain about something vague and others interpret it as rape? Was there physical evidence of something that was then pinned on this boy, maybe in error? If you're the mother, you know you're going to at the very least ask questions.

kcchiefs6465
06-15-2013, 03:02 PM

ETA: From the comments: Shudder.
And then they never came back?

From what I've read the child still hasn't been taken into custody or even talked to. I am skeptical about it all.

To answer your question about coming to arrest an 11 year old kid, yes, they do. For something as simple as a scuffle the police come to arrest the child. (if the mother [of the other child in the fight] wishes to press charges) Many times they'll simply put the child in handcuffs and tell him if he does anything bad again he is going to jail. Still a f'ed up practice.

Reminds me of that 'Beyond Scared Straight' ridiculousness on A&E.

angelatc
06-15-2013, 03:06 PM
There should be an "allegedly" in there, though. That seems like the sort of charge that, while not impossible, seems HIGHLY suspect. Did the child complain about something vague and others interpret it as rape? Was there physical evidence of something that was then pinned on this boy, maybe in error? If you're the mother, you know you're going to at the very least ask questions.

I'm not a lawyer, as I think everybody is aware of, but it's my understanding that unless the police actually saw the kid committing the crime, they have to obtain an arrest warrant before arresting a suspect, and they have to present it upon request. It's really that simple.

Well, not as simple as just arresting anybody that dares question your authoritah, I guess. But still....

I just raised kids that were more innocent than that. Sometimes I forget that some 11 year olds can commit real crimes.

Anti Federalist
07-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Named "June's Worst" at

http://www.policemisconduct.net/woman-asks-see-warrant-gets-arrested/

presence
07-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Kidnapping
Unlawful arrest
Abduction
Unlawful imprisonment
False arrest
Custody without Probable Cause