PDA

View Full Version : "Strange Bedfellows: Why Marco Rubio and Rand Paul Need Each Other"

anaconda
06-15-2013, 12:10 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/strange-bedfellows-why-marco-rubio-rand-paul-other-092300055.html

Rand Paul and Marco Rubio may go head-to-head in a fierce competition for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016. But a funny thing is happening on the way to the White House: The would-be rivals have found themselves in a light bromance, each needing to bask in the other's glow for their own political purposes.

Rubio needs Paul's help -- and political cover on the right -- to get an immigration bill passed. Paul needs Rubio's help -- particularly with the Hispanic community -- to soften his image in the center.

Immigration reform looms large over both of their political futures, in the opportunities it provides to win over Hispanic voters and the perils it presents in crossing the party's conservative base.

When Paul decided to start building relationships in the Hispanic community, it was Rubio's office that came through with introductions. The outreach led to Paul giving two major speeches endorsing the heart of Rubio-led legislation to allow illegal immigrants to earn citizenship. Rubio's chief of staff, Cesar Conda, gave Paul a shout-out Wednesday by posting the latest speech to Hispanic pastors on Twitter.

Two backs scratched.

Rubio badly needs immigration reform to pass, having invested so much time and political stock in the bill's passage and lacking a major legislative achievement. Sens. Ted Cruz of Texas and Mike Lee of Utah signaled this week that their votes are out of reach, leaving Paul as Rubio's best hope for a prominent tea party wingman.

Paul's nod could boost the bill in the Senate and perhaps more importantly, give it some juice in the tea party-dominated House. "It's not just Rand's vote that Rubio needs but the people who will come along with him," said Doug Stafford, a top Paul adviser. Paul's support for immigration reform could also offer Rubio political cover in amnesty-wary, conservative corners if he runs for president.

For his part, Paul is trying to prove he can appeal to the growing minority share of the electorate in the wake of 2012 nominee Mitt Romney's disastrous showing among Hispanic and African-American voters. If an immigration bill passes without Paul on board, he could appear to be left behind instead of leading.

"Rand doesn't want to concede the general election audience and Rubio doesn't want to concede the conservative audience," said Marshall Fitz, director of immigration policy at the Center for American Progress. "It's like mime theater in which they are playing off each other. It's like shadow boxing."

The two rising stars occupy slightly different niches in the Republican Party. The young Cuban-American from Miami won election in the tea party wave of 2010 but fits in comfortably with the political establishment. Despite his continuing popularity with the Republican base, some activists are balking at his crusade for immigration reform. Paul is building on the libertarian and tea party followings of his father, Rep. Ron Paul of Texas. He has been unabashed in expressing an interest in running for president, backed up by his frequent visits to early-voting states. Paul is headed back to South Carolina in June and Iowa in July.

While polls find broad support for immigration reform, the conservatives who dominate those GOP contests tend to view a pathway to citizenship as amnesty that rewards law-breakers. Paul has suggested he would not vote for the bill without stronger border security guarantees.

"You can't help but wonder that if not for his political ambitions, Rand Paul might be a real champion of immigration reform, but instead he's hedging his bets," said Becky Tallent, director of immigration policy at the Bipartisan Policy Center. "Rubio has political reasons too, but I think he's a true believer. They are potential rivals in the future, so there are a lot of political dynamics and strong personalities. I think they are keeping their eyes on each other."

Rubio's office has praised Texas Sen. John Cornyn for proposing tightening border controls but has not commented on Paul's border amendment, which would require an annual review by Congress.

Immigration is not the first issue in which the two senators' interests overlapped. When Rubio joined Paul on the Senate floor during his 13-hour filibuster of President Obama's CIA appointment, the Florida senator got to burnish his anti-Obama, tea-party credentials, while the Kentucky senator got a chance to position himself as a leader of his fellow Republicans. "We were appreciative of Sen. Rubio's support," Stafford said.

Rubio and Paul's strategic alliance on these issues masks their stark differences on foreign policy and America's role on the world stage.

In his speech Thursday to the Faith and Freedom Coalition, Paul called for the U.S. to stop aiding countries that harbor anti-American and anti-Semitic activities like Egypt and Pakistan. "I say not one penny more to countries that burn the American flag," he said.

In contrast, Rubio urged an interventionist approach when religious and civil liberties are threatened. He has joined military hawks like Sen. John McCain of Arizona in calling for arming the Syrian rebels. "If America does not step forward and say, 'this is wrong and something should be done about it, who will?' " he demanded. "I'm not advocating America get involved in every conflict on the planet or that we try to solve every civil war, but I am saying there is nothing to replace us."

libertarian101
06-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Rand Paul position on immigration issue and abortion is unbelievably naive and stupid. On immigration, he is simply committing political suicide and i bet many political strategists are mocking him for being so delusional.

Forget about the presidency but he will more likely lose his senate seat if he ended up voting for path way to citizenships. Some war monger will primary him by running adds saying he lied to voters when he run for the senate in 2010, promising no amnesty and underground electric fence and so on.
His fiscal conservative credential will be challenged for supporting 6 trillion spending on illegal immigrant while planning to cut Americans benefit. Latino voters are just 8% of the electorate. Many of them are poor and will not vote for him because of his budget. He will not get the donation he is expecting to get for supporting immigration bill because most of the donors are also well known warmongers and they don’t like him; they are just using him for the moment.
He can win national election with young people votes of all race and old white people vote at list until 2030. I really hope Rand gets his head right and be smart like Mike lee and Ted Cruz and distance himself from the bill and vote against it even he passes his amendments.

Brian4Liberty
06-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Paul needs Rubio's help -- particularly with the Hispanic community -- to soften his image in the center.

That's bullshit. Rubio won't help Rand with the "Hispanic" community.

The media and establishment have been pushing for Rand to go along with the gang of 8. Zuckerberg and corporatists are pushing it too. Throwing in with McCain, Schumer, Graham and Rubio carries some risk.

And for those who believe that Cruz is being positioned to take votes from Rand in 2016, this might seal the deal. If Cruz votes against it, and Rand votes for it, Rand could very well lose Tea Party support to Cruz.

AuH20
06-15-2013, 11:18 AM
I really hope Rand is playing politics with this entire immigration debate. He's too erudite to fall for the trojan horse nature of this bill.

libertarian101
06-15-2013, 12:07 PM
His position on abortion is unnecessarily too far right for presidential candidate as well. He has much more to lose than to gain in not supporting abortion in case of rape and incest. To try to get social conservative credential by going that extreme on abortion to compensate for opposing drug war and gay marriage at federal level (important issues to gain young and independent vote) is stupid. Even Ann coulter and many social conservatives support abortion on those cases. He will lose many independent and young votes and will never become president with that unnecessary extreme position on abortion but still voting for this immigration bill will be the worst decision of his life.

ObiRandKenobi
06-15-2013, 06:04 PM
That's bullshit. Rubio won't help Rand with the "Hispanic" community.

Rubio can't even help Rubio with the Hispanic community.

Brett85
06-15-2013, 06:44 PM
He has much more to lose than to gain in not supporting abortion in case of rape and incest..

Right, since that position really helped Mitt Romney in the last election. :rolleyes:

supermario21
06-15-2013, 06:56 PM
To his credit, Rubio won over 60% of the Hispanic vote in his 3 way Senate race IIRC. That's definitely an accomplishment in a state like Florida. I don't see how anyone thinks Rand is going to vote for the immigration bill. He already complained about Grassley's amendment failing, which is definitely a bad sign for "trust but verify." His other amendments about "ending the welfare state" are going to fail as well. Rand is doing the right thing by not just screaming "NO!" which takes him out of the debate but he's actually trying to make the package palatable. Besides, if immigration reform fails, it will be an issue in 16 and Rand will have something to run on, his own plan.

Brett85
06-15-2013, 07:14 PM
I don't see why Rand would vote for this bill even if his amendments pass, because it would still contain all of the E-Verify stuff and all the other infringements on privacy and civil liberties.

Origanalist
06-15-2013, 07:18 PM
The only thing Rand needs Rubio for is to make himself look stellar in comparison.

supermario21
06-15-2013, 07:21 PM
I don't see why Rand would vote for this bill even if his amendments pass, because it would still contain all of the E-Verify stuff and all the other infringements on privacy and civil liberties.

That's what I'm worried about. Like I've said the civil liberties and privacy stuff is worse than any of the amnesty provisions. Immigration reform is just a way to expand the police state.

ObiRandKenobi
06-15-2013, 08:21 PM
That's what I'm worried about. Like I've said the civil liberties and privacy stuff is worse than any of the amnesty provisions. Immigration reform is just a way to expand the police state.

On top of everything else, I don't want him voting for 1000-page bills which he himself said is like Obamacare with regulations on top of regulations.

FriedChicken
06-16-2013, 05:55 AM
The only thing Rand needs Rubio for is to make himself look stellar in comparison.

haha!

helenpaul
06-17-2013, 05:16 AM
rand paul better rethink his amnesty position.

NationalAnarchist
06-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Rand Paul position on immigration issue and abortion is unbelievably naive and stupid. On immigration, he is simply committing political suicide and i bet many political strategists are mocking him for being so delusional.

Forget about the presidency but he will more likely lose his senate seat if he ended up voting for path way to citizenships. Some war monger will primary him by running adds saying he lied to voters when he run for the senate in 2010, promising no amnesty and underground electric fence and so on.
His fiscal conservative credential will be challenged for supporting 6 trillion spending on illegal immigrant while planning to cut Americans benefit. Latino voters are just 8% of the electorate. Many of them are poor and will not vote for him because of his budget. He will not get the donation he is expecting to get for supporting immigration bill because most of the donors are also well known warmongers and they don’t like him; they are just using him for the moment.
He can win national election with young people votes of all race and old white people vote at list until 2030. I really hope Rand gets his head right and be smart like Mike lee and Ted Cruz and distance himself from the bill and vote against it even he passes his amendments.
Welcome to the forum. You have a few friends here who think the same thing but the majority are Rand lovers...gave ya rep to get ya out of the negative...the rand lovers can't take criticism like big boys and girls so they neg rep ya...

JCDenton0451
06-23-2013, 10:30 AM
His position on abortion is unnecessarily too far right for presidential candidate as well. He has much more to lose than to gain in not supporting abortion in case of rape and incest. To try to get social conservative credential by going that extreme on abortion to compensate for opposing drug war and gay marriage at federal level (important issues to gain young and independent vote) is stupid. Even Ann coulter and many social conservatives support abortion on those cases. He will lose many independent and young votes and will never become president with that unnecessary extreme position on abortion but still voting for this immigration bill will be the worst decision of his life.
Welcome to the forum!

Be wary, the resident social conservatives will try to punish you for making sense on abortion. If people like Traditional Conservative, jmdrake or erowe1 are giving you negative reputation, that just means you're being effective.

asurfaholic
06-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Be wary, the resident social conservatives will try to punish you for making sense on abortion. If people like Traditional Conservative, jmdrake or erowe1 are giving you negative reputation, that just means you're being effective.

Sorry but honest debate is welcome here, but outright claiming that Christians do not have any place in politics speaks strongly of someone who is dangerous to a republican candidate in a republican primary, in a nation where a huge percentage of the population identifies as religious.

In my book, you are the antithesis of everything Ron Paul worked for, and rand is working towards.

torchbearer
06-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Sorry but honest debate is welcome here, but outright claiming that Christians do not have any place in politics speaks strongly of someone who is dangerous to a republican candidate in a republican primary, in a nation where a huge percentage of the population identifies as religious.

In my book, you are the antithesis of everything Ron Paul worked for, and rand is working towards.

i think christians should be involved, i do not think they should try to force their doctrine on me by making it law. and since, that is what most christians are trying to do, i am against them for the same reasons I oppose Obama. he wants to use the violence of government to make me a better person.